Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Scored well Muckit. What hanging weights and ages ave?

A mixed bag. Everything from 325-440cold and 25-29mths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

A lot of beef being put into coldstores last week and this. Good sign or only a measure to control trade when the glut clears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Willfarman wrote: »
    A lot of beef being put into coldstores last week and this. Good sign or only a measure to control trade when the glut clears?

Probably can't sell it quick enough, I'd say they're under presure to take cattle now.
    In 2013 they were saying over 30000/week puts pressure on prices, over 38000 cattle killed last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

wrangler wrote: »
    Probably can't sell it quick enough, I'd say they're under presure to take cattle now.
    In 2013 they were saying over 30000/week puts pressure on prices, over 38000 cattle killed last week

Wonder will this glut appear as way more cattle in marts the last month or so compared to say a non drought year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

wrangler wrote: »

China are taking beef now. Would anyone know how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

So are kuwait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Not enough to notice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Not enough to notice

So we're told.....

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

oneten wrote: »
    Manual grading still goes on, if the grader code on your kill docket is anything other than 001 then your cattle have been manually graded, and is definitely being used by one factory to downgrade carcasses.
    I've been on the receiving end of this thievery.
    I'm told you can request the still images from the grading machine and have them assessed by an
    " independent " assessor with the IFA if you are a member. I don't know how true this is.

I have found that since I signed up for the Hereford bonus that my cattle seem to be graded much more harshly, I would have got a reasonable - around 25% Rs, but now they grade as 0+, I'm getting in one hand while it's been simultaneously clawed back with the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Reggie. wrote: »
    Wonder will this glut appear as way more cattle in marts the last month or so compared to say a non drought year

Lot of marts quiet over the summer,still are in much of Munster.

Quieter than last year this Sept.

Could be well spread out over longer if the weather was any way reasonable.

Think it is about 10k tonnes so far.

They are a long term hope. If they reached American levels of beef consumption there wouldn't be enough export beef globally to meet it.

Long term hope is good, eventual let down is far away.😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

tatoo wrote: »
    I have found that since I signed up for the Hereford bonus that my cattle seem to be graded much more harshly, I would have got a reasonable - around 25% Rs, but now they grade as 0+, I'm getting in one hand while it's been simultaneously clawed back with the other.

I wonder why. The powers that be are blaming the dairy influence:rolleyes: I wonder do the processors get paid extra for R beef as opposed to O+ beef. Since beef has started to be prepacked for supermarkets grades have fallen IMO. But then I am a cynic and know nothing compared to the experts:cool:

Slava Ukrainii

Any of ye get paid by factory by EFT?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Muckit wrote: »
    Got on well with heifers.
    Bit of learning though with 4th one. She was a super girl and l thought she done. She just slipped out of QA....just. Had she made the 2+ she would have made an extra 18c all in and would have left another €70!

There can be a fine line with some of them U cattle. They were great stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Asked a factory and they dont do it.
    Heard Talk of a rise next week.

• Advertisement

8 WORKING days for a cheque to clear if you have different bank to cheque issuer.

In this day and age it's dinosaur stuff

8 WORKING days for a cheque to clear if you have different bank to cheque issuer.

Tis the factories we are talking about after all.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Tis the factories we are talking about after all.

Factory's have no control over bank clearing times. EFT for all its advantages still can take 2-3 days to clear and that is from the time it is completed. Cheques can be cleared on the day by paying a small fee (about 15 euro as far as I know). However I never had an issue with funds clearing from cheques lodged in the bank. Factory's will have to use EFT within a year or two anyway.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Got on well with heifers.
    Bit of learning though with 4th one. She was a super girl and l thought she done. She just slipped out of QA....just. Had she made the 2+ she would have made an extra 18c all in and would have left another €70!

Could have Fed on for another month Muckit if time was on your side.
    Those U and E grade cattle can take a lot of feeding before they will go fat

Fierce profitable for the factory though.

EfT would be more straight forward for them but they make s lot from money sitting.

I pick the Cheque up the day it is ready.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Danzy wrote: »
    Fierce profitable for the factory though.

EfT would be more straight forward for them but they make s lot from money sitting.

I pick the Cheque up the day it is ready.

Mightn't be fierce profitable for them but it's a cost that isn't taken out of the price of the lamb ''the lamb pays for everything''.
    We brought EFT up at our negotiations with the factory and they don't want it.
    they'd have to increase they're borrowings by the value of a weeks kill or €2m.
    It'd be another cost on the lamb, remember we get paid what's left after everyone else is (well) paid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Asked a factory and they dont do it.
    Heard Talk of a rise next week.

The ifa protest must have worked :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

The EFT certainly would not suit the factories. As Wrangler said their cost of production would dramatically rise in the short to medium term. I say you would be amazed by the amount (particularly older farmers) who don't lodge cheques for ages. I know in my case working part time I don't get to the bank as often as I wished and was holding a cheque for over a week after I received it in the post. Then there are other reasons like estates of deceased persons etc.
    Make no mistake this is a money saving exercise and EFT would ruin this for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

kk.man wrote: »
    The EFT certainly would not suit the factories. As Wrangler said their cost of production would dramatically rise in the short to medium term. I say you would be amazed by the amount (particularly older farmers) who don't lodge cheques for ages. I know in my case working part time I don't get to the bank as often as I wished and was holding a cheque for over a week after I received it in the post. Then there are other reasons like estates of deceased persons etc.
    Make no mistake this is a money saving exercise and EFT would ruin this for them.

Factory agent was telling me a few weeks ago that he can't get over the amount of lads who let the factory cheque go out of date

whelan2 wrote: »
    Factory agent was telling me a few weeks ago that he can't get over the amount of lads who let the factory cheque go out of date

They'd be Louth lads, wouldn't happen round here!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Quick question. Why is their no quality assurance on young bulls?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

There is if their u16 months

The question should be why is there no quality assurance on young Bulls, heifers or bullocks grading o- or less, over 30 month bullocks and heifers or cows? If You are quality assured You should get the quality assurance bonus.

There is if their u16 months

Orite,i just seen on agriland beef tracker thing taht young bulls are not eligible for quality assurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Orite,i just seen on agriland beef tracker thing taht young bulls are not eligible for quality assurance

They are alright but getting the fat score on them can let a lad down.

All bulls under 24 months are described as young bulls the processors only pay QA on U16 months bulls as well U16 bulls go on the grid 16-24 months bulls are paid flat. 16-24 months bulls would have a much better chance of getting into the right fat scores as well as grading better

Slava Ukrainii

Any improvement?

Any improvement?

370-75 max for bullocks. Have a few turning 30mts in 10 days or so. No doubt will jump 10c the day after they hang.

370-75 max for bullocks. Have a few turning 30mts in 10 days or so. No doubt will jump 10c the day after they hang.

whats the forecast for the next few weeks ?. Probably a stalemate for a while maybe till the xmas market

gerryirl wrote: »
    whats the forecast for the next few weeks ?. Probably a stalemate for a while maybe till the xmas market

They will give us 5c and take it away again a few times between now and end Nov. Maybe gain 15 -20c up to mid Dec and into new yr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

No talk of a rise down here buts its easy to get stock gone, bring on what ever you want. Even rang Wed with young cattle and they were killed Friday which is rare.

Pidae.m wrote: »
    No talk of a rise down here buts its easy to get stock gone, bring on what ever you want. Even rang Wed with young cattle and they were killed Friday which is rare.

Was talking to a man who kills dry cows and had three going last week and he got the impression they were waiting for him to come with them!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Pidae.m wrote: »

Bandon?

• Advertisement

Got €3.80 yesterday for mix of overage and under 36 month bullocks. They'll hardly rise as quick as they fell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's the 30 month thing. Most are gone over that now with most births in Feb/March.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

It's the 30 month thing. Most are gone over that now with most births in Feb/March.

Suckler births are fairly even throughout the year iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Suckler births are fairly even throughout the year iirc

No, far from it. It's the factory kill that is fairly even.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

No, far from it. It's the factory kill that is fairly even.
    Patsy, that link is 2016 figures but you are correct calves born to beef sires are about twice that of dairy sires. Here is a link to dafm figures month on month for this year. Click on the second link and it opens a pdf read only file.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalidentificationmovement/cattle/bovinebirthandmovementsmonthlyreports/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    Patsy, that link is 2016 figures but you are correct calves born to beef sires are about twice that of dairy sires. Here is a link to dafm figures month on month for this year. Click on the second link and it opens a pdf read only file.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/animalhealthwelfare/animalidentificationmovement/cattle/bovinebirthandmovementsmonthlyreports/
    But how many beef sired are off beef dams

• Advertisement

But how many beef sired are off beef dams
    According to the link below, 798524 calves were born to suckler dams up to the 5th of October this year. However, that figure is down by 39,022 for the same period in 2017.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/august-suckler-births-at-the-lowest-point-in-3-years/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    According to the link below, 798524 calves were born to suckler dams up to the 5th of October this year. However, that figure is down by 39,022 for the same period in 2017.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/august-suckler-births-at-the-lowest-point-in-3-years/
    Thanks, be lower next year

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

3.80 bullocks

3.8 they went up so. I only got 3.70 the other week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

3.80 bullocks

What part of the country?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement