Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

3.75 base for bullocks is the best i can get currently - midlands region

Agent saying 3.80 to be got further north alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Do you just book them in through him or does he collect and bring them in for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Got 3.75 in clonee this week...I felt 3.80 was there but I had fr bullocks..I think the base will be 3.80 next week. Good weather is helping with glut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

I was expecting a rise but when I rang he said he is jammed on account of the bank holiday next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

kk.man wrote: »
    Got 3.75 in clonee this week...I felt 3.80 was there but I had fr bullocks..I think the base will be 3.80 next week. Good weather is helping with glut.

Got 3.80 there on Tuesday. I'd say it'll be got everywhere next week. The kill is bound to start falling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Pidae.m wrote: »
    I was expecting a rise but when I rang he said he is jammed on account of the bank holiday next week!

I have some that were to go mid next week, got the call last night that they'd be collected early Monday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

No bank holiday next week, it is the week after. If anything it forces them to keep the kill high next week

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Any updates on bullock quotes for later this week or next week?
    Midlands area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

dryan wrote: »
    Any updates on bullock quotes for later this week or next week?
    Midlands area.

375 no sign of rise im told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

No bank holiday next week, it is the week after. If anything it forces them to keep the kill high next week

The bank holiday is next week, the 29th.

• Advertisement

epfff wrote: »
    375 no sign of rise im told

3.80 is available in the north east anyway. Probably wouldn't mind at to travel.

riemann wrote: »
    The bank holiday is next week, the 29th.

I know t s I posted my post three day ago last Friday/Saturday.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Cavanjack wrote: »
    3.80 is available in the north east anyway. Probably wouldn't mind at to travel.

Thats not so in north east Galway or some people call it mid Roscommon anyway.
    Or if it is they aint giving it to the locals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Anyone see the independent. What do ye think of Foyle meets latest bonuses and will it shake up the rest of them.

Will things improve a bit if this weather holds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

mf240 wrote: »
    Anyone see the independent. What do ye think of Foyle meets latest bonuses and will it shake up the rest of them.

Will things improve a bit if this weather holds

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/farming/beef/beef-prices-harden-on-back-of-british-demand-37446108.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

3.75 for tomorrow anyway. Agent cant see much of a rise until end Nov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

3.75 for tomorrow anyway. Agent cant see much of a rise until end Nov.

3 bks left to go rang local factory yesterday he said he'd kill them next Tuesday week. Its gone beyond a joke now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Hershall wrote: »
    3 bks left to go rang local factory yesterday he said he'd kill them next Tuesday week. Its gone beyond a joke now....

Fully loaded for next week so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Burning Tires

Hershall wrote: »

Same here. 3 left to go but not fit. Over age now and have space to house them so they'll be housed in 7 to 10 days when the rest coming in. They might be fit in Jan when the price rises (hopefully)

Not so sure IMO the first black bullock would only grade R in the present system, The last black Friesian was not carrying any flesh and would get caught on fat score. The first Friesian would grade only P+/O-. The video was made in 2015 so maybe grading has changed since then

Slava Ukrainii

Not so sure IMO the first black bullock would only grade R in the present system, The last black Friesian was not carrying any flesh and would get caught on fat score. The first Friesian would grade only P+/O-. The video was made in 2015 so maybe grading has changed since then

I'd agree with you there. The first lad would only make an r. He is grading him a u+.
    We Killed a few blue bulls last spring that would make a show of that lad and they were only a u+. To get a bullock to grade into a u grade now is a tough job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I'd agree with you there. The first lad would only make an r. He is grading him a u+.
    We Killed a few blue bulls last spring that would make a show of that lad and they were only a u+. To get a bullock to grade into a u grade now is a tough job.

I had the first lad as a u- in my own head.
    Chx as r=
    White fr as o= and
    Black fr as p=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Prices holding, no sign of any lift above maybe 10c or so this side of Christmas.

Supplies of store cattle very high.

riemann wrote: »
    Prices holding, no sign of any lift above maybe 10c or so this side of Christmas.

Supplies of store cattle very high.

Steers 3.80 and u grade bulls 3.90. They are getting all the cattle they want at the minute. No rise for another month I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The only positive is that there’s a lot of beef moving. Even the chill rooms that were filled a few weeks back are heading for empty again.

Kill my last 11 bullocks for 2018 yesterday and couldn't get more than 3.75. I see cows are under pressure now....Not good news when cows are under pressure.

Kill my last 11 bullocks for 2018 yesterday and couldn't get more than 3.75. I see cows are under pressure now....Not good news when cows are under pressure.

I expect that a lot pof lads are trying to kill off grass this year. Good autumn along with shortage/tightness of silage as well as ration prices will discouage winter finishing. I moved cattle about 3 weks ago got a base of 3.8 I think. Autumn costs can be higher than you think cattle would need to be on 5+kgs of ration minimum as well as maybe access to hay or straw as feed vale has gone out of grass.

While chills are not full neither are they empty and kill remains very strong. Not many have housed cattle yet and there was no burst of lads housing cattle for Christmass finish eith 3-6 weeks ago. Supplies could get tighter faster than you might think. Lads will kill off grass and then it may come to a full stop. Kill could collapse in December

Slava Ukrainii

I expect that a lot pof lads are trying to kill off grass this year. Good autumn along with shortage/tightness of silage as well as ration prices will discouage winter finishing. I moved cattle about 3 weks ago got a base of 3.8 I think. Autumn costs can be higher than you think cattle would need to be on 5+kgs of ration minimum as well as maybe access to hay or straw as feed vale has gone out of grass.

While chills are not full neither are they empty and kill remains very strong. Not many have housed cattle yet and there was no burst of lads housing cattle for Christmass finish eith 3-6 weeks ago. Supplies could get tighter faster than you might think. Lads will kill off grass and then it may come to a full stop. Kill could collapse in December

I had mine on almost 7kg and grass ..just an ok response with the amount of meal given to them.

I had mine on almost 7kg and grass ..just an ok response with the amount of meal given to them.

The last ones I killed were on 5kgs/day and were Friesians it was a matter of getting flesh cover on them and cashing them in. It was costing 1.3/day on ration response was fairly ok but I was conscience that younger stores make better use of grass and return on friesians is limited. I killed some in September as well and thrive was brilliant in the extra 5 weeks but all them cattle would have eaten a lot of grass. I will be housing again thsi weekend if I had older cattle kept I have everything housed now eating silage worth 30/bale

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

The last ones I killed were on 5kgs/day and were Friesians it was a matter of getting flesh cover on them and cashing them in. It was costing 1.3/day on ration response was fairly ok but I was conscience that younger stores make better use of grass and return on friesians is limited. I killed some in September as well and thrive was brilliant in the extra 5 weeks but all them cattle would have eaten a lot of grass. I will be housing again thsi weekend if I had older cattle kept I have everything housed now eating silage worth 30/bale

My last ones were friesian too and my sole object was to reach fat score 3 which they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Text sent out Friday to agents from one major factory..... Cows cut 20 cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Text sent out Friday to agents from one major factory..... Cows cut 20 cent
    What are cows making now?

Sent 2 cows 2 weeks ago with TB and they made 185c/kg.

What are cows making now?

Sent 2 cows 2 weeks ago with TB and they made 185c/kg.

Surely you mean 285c/kg ?

Surely you mean 285c/kg ?
    Nope, 185:mad:
    It's not like you're in a position to refuse to send them:(

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Got €3.44 for heavy R grade cows killed 22nd Oct.

Nope, 185:mad:
    It's not like you're in a position to refuse to send them:(

Were they valued live? The dept will make up the difference will they not?

Were they valued live? The dept will make up the difference will they not?
    Yeah, they will but I have one or two that I could move depending on the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

I'm the same.

Sometimes they won't finish the nuts - today for instance.

Have good, short grass for another week.

Good loser wrote: »
    I'm the same.

Sometimes they won't finish the nuts - today for instance.

Have good, short grass for another week.

I think when it comes to early/mid October You are better off housing cattle for finishing and keeping grass for stores or Young stock. Finishing cattle are burning up too much energy staying warm and the power is gone out of the grass. They seem to lie out less and spend a lot of time traveling round fields/paddocks. Or that seems to be the case round here anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Sent a pb aa bull that twisted his spine to the factory. 23 months old. R3 366kg @3.60 =1318 euro. Was happy as he could just have easily gone in the knackery lorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

whelan2 wrote: »
    Sent a pb aa bull that twisted his spine to the factory. 23 months old. R3 366kg @3.60 =1318 euro. Was happy as he could just have easily gone in the knackery lorry

Could he walk ok?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Could he walk ok?

Yes. Sideways. He injured himself a while ago and I fed him meal for a few months.

whelan2 wrote: »

For an R3 bull u24 months they did you no favours on the price. However anything is better than the skip

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

not bad price, considering could loss him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Got €3.25 for r grade cows and €3.05 for our grade cows killed on Monday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Posts that were an extension of this topic are now available for further comment and the repetition of points previously made many, many times in this new thread.

:p

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

See big pull on cow prices I underway now kill has hit 40k. Abp has backed up the UK kill for two weeks because they are sourcing plenty of cheap irish beef.
    They will be no price lift this year for the finisher it maybe next summer before we see prime beef hit 4e.

See big pull on cow prices I underway now kill has hit 40k. Abp has backed up the UK kill for two weeks because they are sourcing plenty of cheap irish beef.
    They will be no price lift this year for the finisher it maybe next summer before we see prime beef hit 4e.

€80 a head drop in cow prices apparently.

• Advertisement

Numbers will surely drop off soon. Factories are supposed to be concerned about supplies for the spring. If prices don't rise in the next couple of months they'd have nobody filling sheds next winter to feed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement