Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Numbers will surely drop off soon. Factories are supposed to be concerned about supplies for the spring. If prices don't rise in the next couple of months they'd have nobody filling sheds next winter to feed.
    They won't worry about a long term outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Cows were a noticeably better trade in enniscorthy mary today..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Any sign pf a price this sude of xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Willfarman wrote: »
    Cows were a noticeably better trade in enniscorthy mary today..

Didn’t happen to notice any black Whitehead’s Hereford btwn 400-480 today in Enniscorthy or how they were going???tia

Feb 17 birthday 570kgs 940€. 440kg April €700. Warm square fleshed Jan feb 600kg 1120.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Have 2 cows I’m feeding that didn’t hold, when is a good time to aim for?

Have 2 cows I’m feeding that didn’t hold, when is a good time to aim for?

Try and feed them before 9am I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Numbers will surely drop off soon. Factories are supposed to be concerned about supplies for the spring. If prices don't rise in the next couple of months they'd have nobody filling sheds next winter to feed.
    900 cows killed in local factory last week ,they are still coming in fast even though price dropped 20c/kg. Sent 3 last week you'd really notice the 20c gone and had 25kg rejected on one of them. First time ever having rejected meat :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Bonners or beef cows

Pidae.m wrote: »
    Bonners or beef cows
    fr cows straight from parlour. Agent reckons there's still loads more to come out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Farmer Dan

What would your middle of the road 7 to 8 year old white head cow make in the factory atm.
    Not a bonner but not fat off either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Farmer Dan wrote: »
    What would your middle of the road 7 to 8 year old white head cow make in the factory atm.

€800-900

whelan2 wrote: »
    fr cows straight from parlour. Agent reckons there's still loads more to come out
    Why would you send to the factory and not to the mart if straight from the parlour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya

Saw a 610kg black wh cow born 2014 make €830 last weekend. Dropped her at mart for someone. Middle of the road flesh wise, off calf with no feeding.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Why would you send to the factory and not to the mart if straight from the parlour?

If the cows have a bit of flesh in them and grade even P up until last week you get a price of 2.8-3/kg. A 240kg DW cow would make 650-700 euro. Even at prices of 2.5/kg they be hitting 600 euro. No messing going to a mart for 4-5 hours.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

If the cows have a bit of flesh in them and grade even P up until last week you get a price of 2.8-3/kg. A 240kg DW cow would make 650-700 euro. Even at prices of 2.5/kg they be hitting 600 euro. No messing going to a mart for 4-5 hours.

The lads buying cows in the mart are a harmless bunch of chaps and will often give too much for cows in the ring. (that's sarcasm btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

mf240 wrote: »
    The lads buying cows in the mart are a harmless bunch of chaps and will often give too much for cows in the ring. (that's sarcasm btw)

It’s interesting now that these lads aren’t even bothering with cattle anymore. Turning over hundreds of cows a few times a year

Also when they go to the factory they aint coming home

So what would a R/U 700-750kg suckler with good cover make?

So what would a R/U 700-750kg suckler with good cover make?

Last week's the average base was 3.25/kg, best was 3.5/kg at a Dawn plant and worst was 2.9/kg at an AIBP plant. A good young cow 750 kgs would kill about 380 kgs and at the AIBP plant 1100 euro at the Dawn plant abnout 1330. At the national average she would make about 1240.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

any sign of a stir in prices?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I would say you never carried a cow to the factory!!!
    A 240 kg cow could end up classed as a canner ,a farmer carrying a few cows to factory has no clout or no comeback ,you seem to be able to make your own prices!!!
    I would always try to make up a load if heading to factory and then you would have to bide your time until the agent fits you in .You can think again if you think you can rock up to factory with a few light cows and get top prices!!

I've a bunch of 3/4 hereford bulls from sucklers, February March born, weighting 340 kg approx.
    Not castrated. Are these suitable for finishing as bulls or what would people recommend to do with them? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

I've a bunch of 3/4 hereford bulls from sucklers, February March born, weighting 340 kg approx.
    Not castrated. Are these suitable for finishing as bulls or what would people recommend to do with them? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Squeeze them

Squeeze them
    Thanks for reply
    id consider them a bit strong for squeezing at this time of the year.

cute geoge wrote: »
    I would say you never carried a cow to the factory!!!
    A 240 kg cow could end up classed as a canner ,a farmer carrying a few cows to factory has no clout or no comeback ,you seem to be able to make your own prices!!!
    I would always try to make up a load if heading to factory and then you would have to bide your time until the agent fits you in .You can think again if you think you can rock up to factory with a few light cows and get top prices!!

No In general I do not do cows. However I have seen cows kill at low weight with flesh on them. While a 550kg HO cow might have no flesh on her a JEX cow at the same weight might well have enough. The question was asked why dairy farmers carry cows straight from the parlour to the Factory. I gave an answer and 3-4 dairy farmers that sell cows into the factory acknowledged my answer so at a guess I am not too far out.

Yes processors want the 700lbs and 800lb cow in old money or the 320kg and 360kgDW cow just like they want cattle killing 280kgs minimum however they still buy cattle and cows killing lower than that. There is a lot of cows out there that will not have the frame to carry much with 300kgs. Cows are not much difference to friesian bullocks you can get flesh on them at sub 300kgs Dw and at over 400kgs DW it just depends on being able to do it

Now I have been at marts and have seen what cows make and I have seen what those 550-580KG JEX cows make and they would not make the colour of the money I quoted. Too many lads in marts now looking to buy 50-100 day cattle whether cows, bulls or bullocks and most are now seeing there margins squeezed too much.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Thanks for reply
    id consider them a bit strong for squeezing at this time of the year.

+1 on castration. Easy finishn as a bullock at 22mts odd. Be carefull as they will get thick fat on grass.☺

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Goodeone

They would be suitable for bull beef. Not sure would they be suitable to finish under 16 month? You could keep them over winter on 2/3kg of meal and try get them out to grass early in spring for 3 or 4 months, back in to the shed around july and you would get them finished in 90 days.

Goodeone wrote: »
    They would be suitable for bull beef. Not sure would they be suitable to finish under 16 month? You could keep them over winter on 2/3kg of meal and try get them out to grass early in spring for 3 or 4 months, back in to the shed around july and you would get them finished in 90 days.

They would be finished in october when price is traditionally lowest. Killing in june is best option after month or two at grass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

They are good types at that weight. If you plan on finishing them I'd squeeze them and let them back to grass next year and either finish them out of the shed jan/Feb 2020 or back out to grass and kill them Jun/July 2020. If You don't intend finishing them I'd squeeze them and let them off in April.

3.75 base for the next 3 weeks according to agent. He is finding it hard to book in cattle.

3.75 base for the next 3 weeks according to agent. He is finding it hard to book in cattle.

That will see us into and through the white meat so no price increase until after Christmas. You could well see prices sub 4/kg until mid/late April. Lads finishing cattle and paying 270-300/ton for rartion will take some beating as forward stores are not that cheap. Any lad that sold his silage @30+/bale to dairy men and did not restock is way better off

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

And what sit in by the fire fighting with the missus?

..... a lot of lads would prefer to take their batin' out in the yard!! :D (tongue firmly in cheek).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Kept 7 for killing in Late Jan.

Could have driven them on this year but was not pleased with price.

Very hard to see it lifting much by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Guys, can anyone remember a few years back when the beef trade was roaring? Everyone finishing bulls etc?
    What year was that and what was driving the trade at the time?
    Just thinking about it today.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Guys, can anyone remember a few years back when the beef trade was roaring? Everyone finishing bulls etc?
    What year was that and what was drining the trade at the time?

Your only annoying yourself

I sold fr bullocks in June 2012 for 4.28 per kg dw flat price. They weigh an average of 390 kg I think. That was 2012.
    That year the following happened;
    1. British beef was very scarce.
    2. The milk quotas were still in place.
    3. Irish beef was scare..kills of 24k per week.
    4. The final driver was the London Olympics and the Britannia were gagging for steaks!

kk.man wrote: »
    I sold fr bullocks in June 2012 for 4.28 per kg dw flat price. They weigh an average of 390 kg I think. That was 2012.
    That year the following happened;
    1. British beef was very scarce.
    2. The milk quotas were still in place.
    3. Irish beef was scare..kills of 24k per week.
    4. The final driver was the London Olympics and the Britannia were gagging for steaks!

Think it was 2013. Bulls crashed the following year in 14. Got 3.50 for e grade bull under 16 months

Think it was 2013. Bulls crashed the following year in 14. Got 3.50 for e grade bull under 16 months

No 2012 Olympics every 4 years and occur on an even year.

kk.man wrote: »
    No 2012 Olympics every 4 years and occur on an even year.

Im saying the beef trade was great in 2013 i think,more in reply to patsy's post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It was 2012. We sold FR bulls pre Christmas for between 3.95 and 4.04.
    It went downhill fairly quickly in the New Year when the horse meat scandal hit in January.
    Here is a link to DAFM 2012 prices. It worth having a read of some of them for nostalgia :rolleyes:

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/beef/beeffactorypricesweeklyreports/2012/averagepricesincludingvatforsteerscowsheifersandyoungbulls/

Base price wrote: »
    It was 2012. We sold FR bulls pre Christmas for between 3.95 and 4.04.
    It went downhill fairly quickly in the New Year when the horse meat scandal hit in January.
    Here is a link to DAFM 2012 prices. It worth having a read of some of them for nostalgia :rolleyes:

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmingsectors/beef/beeffactorypricesweeklyreports/2012/averagepricesincludingvatforsteerscowsheifersandyoungbulls/

Price was upto 50c/kg higher in 2013 on last week of may than 2012

Seriously pasty!
    I'd made such great progress with my therapist and forgetting that dark year ;) I got 3:30 /kg for a u3 bull 473kg. We killed them a day or two before they went over age. Horrific stuff.

Price was upto 50c/kg higher in 2013 on last week of may than 2012
    I'm not doubting it.

Spring 2013 was the most difficult time for anyone feeding bulls as factories wouldn't quote let alone accept them :mad:

I'm not doubting it.

Spring 2013 was the most difficult time for anyone feeding bulls as factories wouldn't quote let alone accept them :mad:

Yet this June they would nearly take your mother in law.

I'm not doubting it.

Like feeding cows now

Yet this June they would nearly take your mother in law.
    Plus it wouldn't matter if she is quality assured or not, how many movements or how many days in your herd as long as she can walk off the ramp :rolleyes:

Yes I think it was the in early 2013 the bust happened on Bull beef. Again farmers paid for the processors dodgy dealing's. Before 2013 there was always a good trade in light bulls pre and post Christmas. Kill used to be lower than present but O grade bulls traded around the 3.9-4.1/kg, R grade stock from a dairy background traded 10c/kg more while suckler bred R/U bulls were another 10c/kg more.

In the autumn of 2012 AIBP feedlots bought a lot of HE 18 month old bullocks at huge prices, store producers taught they would never see a poor day again. Larry killed all these cattle first pre and post Christmas and left the bulls back up. Was it in the spring of 2012 that they bought all the HE calves the three card trick they did not repeat.

Slava Ukrainii

Yes I think it was the in early 2013 the bust happened on Bull beef. Again farmers paid for the processors dodgy dealing's. Before 2013 there was always a good trade in light bulls pre and post Christmas. Kill used to be lower than present but O grade bulls traded around the 3.9-4.1/kg, R grade stock from a dairy background traded 10c/kg more while suckler bred R/U bulls were another 10c/kg more.

In the autumn of 2012 AIBP feedlots bought a lot of HE 18 month old bullocks at huge prices, store producers taught they would never see a poor day again. Larry killed all these cattle first pre and post Christmas and left the bulls back up. Was it in the spring of 2012 that they bought all the HE calves the three card trick they did not repeat.
    No it was 2013 and sent them out for contract rearing. Some of the rearers were experienced having reared quantities of FR bull calves over the years but others were not. Apparently there were a lot of costs due to pneumonia, scours and losses.
    Edit: they were buying numbers of AAx and HEx bull calves this year.

Bulls took a hit in 2013 but a dive in 14
    [Img]content://media/external/file/169975[/img]

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement