Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Is my memory going or did we not get close to 5eur/kg in the harvest of 2013?

I remember some high prices after the horse meat scandal.

Bulls took a hit in 2013 but a dive in 14
    [Img]content://media/external/file/169975[/img]

Must have been July/August I'm thinking of. With bonuses and good grades pretty sure I was very close to 5 on a few.

Won't be seeing that again for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

riemann wrote: »
    Is my memory going or did we not get close to 5eur/kg in the harvest of 2013?

I remember some high prices after the horse meat scandal.

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

That will see us into and through the white meat so no price increase until after Christmas. You could well see prices sub 4/kg until mid/late April. Lads finishing cattle and paying 270-300/ton for rartion will take some beating as forward stores are not that cheap. Any lad that sold his silage @30+/bale to dairy men and did not restock is way better off

Its more or less what i did this year. Sold 200 bales as a standing crop, rented out half the farm for 5 years goodish money, destocked to 35% of the animals i normally carry.
    I have a paye job to keep me from fighting with the wife all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

2 overage bullocks going next Tuesday. Just off the phone to the agent. Fridges full so forget about any sort of a decent until at least next March!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

remarkable how these agents are so educated in beef marketing. It’s perfectly normal for fridges to be full in the run up to Christmas and the following weeks. The market and apparently the the British market in particular is moving well. Mainly because the price is very competitive. But supply is tightening next week and perhaps the week after a little improvement in price but the bounce will come in January and another in mid March. Unfortunately it’s swallowed with increased costs but such is the game.

In fairness i would trust this guy. Long time friend and associate of the old man. Then again what can they go on only what they are being told by the factories. Big thing is the kill number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Willfarman wrote: »
    remarkable how these agents are so educated in beef marketing. It’s perfectly normal for fridges to be full in the run up to Christmas and the following weeks. The market and apparently the the British market in particular is moving well. Mainly because the price is very competitive. But supply is tightening next week and perhaps the week after a little improvement in price but the bounce will come in January and another in mid March. Unfortunately it’s swallowed with increased costs but such is the game.

TBH I think Chops could be right. Kill is still very strong and more than likly a lot of young cattle to be killed off grass because of the weather between now and Christmas. That may mean that contracted feedlot cattle will not be needed until post Christmas. If the processors can get to Christmas without having to slaughter feedlot cattle then I do not see much of a price rise post Christmas by February cattle housed by ordinary farmers will start to come on stream so numbers will still be on the side of processors. IMO we may not see 4/kg until late March/April at the earliest

Slava Ukrainii

I bet ye both a a box of empty quality street wrappers there’s be 3.90 for steers 2nd week of January and over 4.00 2nd week of March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Willfarman wrote: »
    I bet ye both a a box of empty quality street wrappers there’s be 3.90 for steers 2nd week of January and over 4.00 2nd week of March.

Where are ya going to get two boxes of empty wrappers in January :D

My meal merchant done well out of me this year.. I expect an extra box:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭MeheeHohee

Any recomendations on where to send young bulls in the south west? Agent in Charleville is saying they are full

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Ive become so disillusioned with the whole beef farming industry, prices for heifers and bullocks for the last few years leave a small profit, but nothing better than a megre part time wage. I was going through the books this evening and i get more in my than 60% of my profit from SFP, Glas and ANC.
    To draw the payment takes approx 10 hours a year, the cattle take a 1000.

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    Any recomendations on where to send young bulls in the south west? Agent in Charleville is saying they are full

With the present kill the processors will back up young bulls unless you are a regular supplier and maybe even then. Bulls can keep from going over fat and as well can be feed for 150+ days before going off feed. Can agent not book them in for 10-14 days time if not just try the AIBP plants in Nenagh and Rathkeale, Kepak in Ennis but I imagine if regular agent cannot get them in you will struggle elsewhere as well

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

I was just typing charlville.... Don't really want them anywhere unless there u16 and have fat score 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ive become so disillusioned with the whole beef farming industry, prices for heifers and bullocks for the last few years leave a small profit, but nothing better than a megre part time wage. I was going through the books this evening and i get more in my than 60% of my profit from SFP, Glas and ANC.
    To draw the payment takes approx 10 hours a year, the cattle take a 1000.

The cattle have beef farming ruined.

That is the fuxjed up situation we are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

With the present kill the processors will back up young bulls unless you are a regular supplier and maybe even then. Bulls can keep from going over fat and as well can be feed for 150+ days before going off feed. Can agent not book them in for 10-14 days time if not just try the AIBP plants in Nenagh and Rathkeale, Kepak in Ennis but I imagine if regular agent cannot get them in you will struggle elsewhere as well

same as 2013, bull price is first to suffer in a glut,
    County livestock rep was at our branch AGM, very poor demand for bulls

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

Its more or less what i did this year. Sold 200 bales as a standing crop, rented out half the farm for 5 years goodish money, destocked to 35% of the animals i normally carry.
    I have a paye job to keep me from fighting with the wife all day.

There’s a few lads round here getting some grief from the wife. One was told to get rid of it and get a full time job or she was leaving with the children. She blew up when she realized the guts of the SFP was already spent on losses for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Anyone see if continental cull will be worth more after Xmas than now or cut my losses ? Mart I’m thinking not enough cover for factory

Any ideas will they be a shade better after Xmas or waste of time/ money / feed/fodder?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note can we get back on topic, beef prices please.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

blue5000 wrote: »
    Mod note can we get back on topic, beef prices please.
    Sorry blue, they probably should be in here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057910894&page=4
    maybe you could move them :)

Mod: Done. Hopefully the right ones. Now, be good, children! :)

wrangler wrote: »
    same as 2013, bull price is first to suffer in a glut,
    County livestock rep was at our branch AGM, very poor demand for bulls

Someone refuted this saying there was a good trade for bulls, post seems to have disappeared.
    Neighbour was asking me was there anywhere, was it a Cavan factory that was buying, neighbour very stuck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Last of this years finishers booked in for next Wedneaday. Agent sees no rise coming down tracks.

Last 2 gone this morning. Lad that carries them for me struggled to get cattle for himself killed last week. Nothing but 3.75 everywhere. Over supply a huge problem

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Last 2 gone this morning. Lad that carries them for me struggled to get cattle for himself killed last week. Nothing but 3.75 everywhere. Over supply a huge problem

Yip thats same story i got. Oversupply is king for factories. If we at least got the proper grading and no over trim for what we have, I think this would be as good as we will ever get. Beef plan has work cut out to get changes re price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

literally the opposite of the lamb trade , economics 101, supply slows down = demand (price) going up. maybe its jjust that simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Someone refuted this saying there was a good trade for bulls, post seems to have disappeared.
    Neighbour was asking me was there anywhere, was it a Cavan factory that was buying, neighbour very stuck

Think it was me last week or the week before. Clonee but we kill a good few and suppose we have a "relationship" with them as the papers say so might get them away that bit quicker.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Think it was me last week or the week before. Clonee but we kill a good few and suppose we have a "relationship" with them as the papers say so might get them away that bit quicker.

Have you good heifers as well.

Have you good heifers as well.

Have neither good nor bad heifers here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Have neither good nor bad heifers here.

You can't beat a middle of the road heifer. Reasonable bought and reasonable gain.

• Advertisement

TBH it was standing out since the drought that there would be a lot of cattle for slaughter from late autumn on until well into the New Year. With the scarcity of silage and high rations prices it was on the cards that lads would finish cattle as early/quick as possible this winter. With the good autumn and good grass growth it added more cattle to the kill. It has been my opinion for a while that the economics of winter finishing are skewed all wrong even in a normal year. However some lads are trapped on the merry go round of the 70-100 day system and turning cattle over in that timescale forces lads to kill at least once if not twice over the winter. It is hard at present to see numbers fall off a cliff. From the end of next week the processors will struggle to keep beef from fridges moving as the change over to white meat happens. Consumer demand will not rise again for beef until after Christmas. Processors may not kill at all between Christmas and the New Year if fridges are full. If we see a price rise in the New Year it will be to 3.9/kg at most IMO which with ration/nuts heading towards 300/ton leaves little of a margin

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Any quotes for the week? Not hearing good things....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sterling taking a hammering. Not good.

MfMan wrote: »
    Any quotes for the week? Not hearing good things....

3.75 and mumbling of if they quoted 3.50 they'd be as busy.

Sterling taking a hammering. Not good.

where is it now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

£0.90 = Euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

£0.90 = Euro

To be fair it’s been at £0.89 for the last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Did cow prices fall again today?

TBH it was standing out since the drought that there would be a lot of cattle for slaughter from late autumn on until well into the New Year. With the scarcity of silage and high rations prices it was on the cards that lads would finish cattle as early/quick as possible this winter. With the good autumn and good grass growth it added more cattle to the kill. It has been my opinion for a while that the economics of winter finishing are skewed all wrong even in a normal year. However some lads are trapped on the merry go round of the 70-100 day system and turning cattle over in that timescale forces lads to kill at least once if not twice over the winter. It is hard at present to see numbers fall off a cliff. From the end of next week the processors will struggle to keep beef from fridges moving as the change over to white meat happens. Consumer demand will not rise again for beef until after Christmas. Processors may not kill at all between Christmas and the New Year if fridges are full. If we see a price rise in the New Year it will be to 3.9/kg at most IMO which with ration/nuts heading towards 300/ton leaves little of a margin

Why do you keep insisting that they're backing up bulls, surely they're moving stock as quick as they can with the. massive kills going on at the moment. now you say the fridges are full, We were always told that bull beef was difficult to sell and first to suffer I'd be surprised if we're heading into the same crisisi as 14 with the lessons farmers got then....if they heeded it is suppose

• Advertisement

Why do you keep insisting that they're backing up bulls, surely they're moving stock as quick as they can with the. massive kills going on at the moment. now you say the fridges are full, We were always told that bull beef was difficult to sell and first to suffer I'd be surprised if we're heading into the same crisisi as 14 with the lessons farmers got then....if they heeded it is suppose

You can block posters you feel are talking bolx.

riemann wrote: »
    You can block posters you feel are talking bolx.

I've never blocked anyone, but I'd imagine that you'd still get the posts if someone quoted them

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

yes big kills going on. I sent only one yesterday as he was nearly 30 months. Had to wait till this morning to get the price. They were too busy yesterday.. 3.75 base all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Dozer1 wrote: »

Got a call from work. Looking for a brief on the protest. Being a farmer in Dublin has its uses it seems

Reggie. wrote: »
    Got a call from work. Looking for a brief on the protest. Being a farmer in Dublin has its uses it seems

It's easier to get into those places than to get out,I'd always be inclined to hang back, at least if you were on the outside you could go home when you liked . It's probably the National Livestock Commitee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Reggie. wrote: »

You shouldn't have put on that red cap!

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    You shouldn't have put on that red cap!

Oh but it means no ones likes me. The way I like it.

3 bulls u16, 2 e-2= and 1 u+2-, made 3.99 and 3.87. Was expecting a bit more with bord bia 12 c

3 bulls u16, 2 e-2= and 1 u+2-, made 3.99 and 3.87. Was expecting a bit more with bord bia 12 c

You were lucky as there wasn't enough flesh on them.

You were lucky as there wasn't enough flesh on them.

What is the fat requirement for young bulls? 2=?
    What's the best way of putting fat on muscular cattle?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement