Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

Or they have nowhere to go. Remember not in their interest to kill when prices are low.

There was big fr bulls in Bandon Monday, nearly 24 months they weighted about 670 and made 1140. No QA. Same lad has another 60 at home. Litteraly nowhere else to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭White Clover

Pidae.m wrote: »
    There was big fr bulls in Bandon Monday, nearly 24 months they weighted about 670 and made 1140. No QA. Same lad has another 60 at home. Litteraly nowhere else to go.

If you follow gerry6420 on YouTube, he killed friesians like that last week, around 340kg. They came into around 1250....a big difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Pidae.m wrote: »

If he is not in QA you are taking a big risk with cattle. Any time processors have plenty of cattle they are only looking for excuses not to take them and when they do they will cut you by another 20-40c/kg

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Pidae.m

If you follow gerry6420 on YouTube, he killed friesians like that last week, around 340kg. They came into around 1250....a big difference

The lad who owns them is a spud farmer, cattle were very well done but he just doesn't want to enter bord bia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Here's that video you mentioned. Where is he based? Fine shed and good honest opinion on their performance.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVpRKhMyE_g

• Advertisement

Here's that video you mentioned. Where is he based? Fine shed and good honest opinion on their performance.

Based in Louth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭kk.man

They are in the shed since last July!...Did they leave a margin?!

kk.man wrote: »
    They are in the shed since last July!...Did they leave a margin?!

They more than likely did they seem to have been bought at the 3 week stage so
    Calf + mart fees and Transport 100 euro
    Rearing until May 102 euro
    First summer at grass inc dosing 110 euro
    Last winter allowing for lenght 150+ euro
    Grazing 3 months 2018 50 euro
    Feeding, dosing and finishing since July 500
    So 1000 euro+

IMO some lads are fooling themselves using own grain in that they may not be putting it in at full cost. He seems to have got a price of 3.65/kg which is 15c/kg above what is being published but they may have gone North of the border for slaughter. The sheds are all newish and I have not allowed for fixed costs with died feeder and shed he is loseing after fixed costs again IMO

Slava Ukrainii

They more than likely did they seem to have been bought at the 3 week stage so
    Calf + mart fees and Transport 100 euro
    Rearing until May 102 euro
    First summer at grass inc dosing 110 euro
    Last winter allowing for lenght 150+ euro
    Grazing 3 months 2018 50 euro
    Feeding, dosing and finishing since July 500
    So 1000 euro+

IMO some lads are fooling themselves using own grain in that they may not be putting it in at full cost. He seems to have got a price of 3.65/kg which is 15c/kg above what is being published but they may have gone North of the border for slaughter. The sheds are all newish and I have not allowed for fixed costs with died feeder and shed he is loseing after fixed costs again IMO

I thought as much. He is along time waiting for his money and having to feed them every day solid for six months in a shed would do my head in. They appear to be nice friesian and he did them well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I thought as much. He is along time waiting for his money and having to feed them every day solid for six months in a shed would do my head in. They appear to be nice friesian and he did them well.

He gpt 7 to an r grade and the rest o's

• Advertisement

For a bad year with an extra long winter last year and a poor summer with a short grazing season his weights were ok. But in a normal year I would expect Friesians like that to hit another 20-30kgs DW. Any time i did 24 months age bulls I starting feeding at grass for last 6 weeks before housing in early September. They would nearly thrive better than when they hit the shed. However I be buying as weanlings. I had a rig finish last March at 390kgs DW bought him as a weanling at 290kgs.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭leoch

Chating to a neighbour tonight and he wad trying to get 5 bulls in factory this week but rep told him they done want them but rep said he could kill heifers so man said he could give him 8 heifers so all was grand then rep rang back later saying dont want them either or leave them till the following week......are the factorys getting plenty of stock to kill or wat ......nw factory

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimmydkid

I sent three heifers to one of Larry’s factories on Monday, agent asked me as he was going out the gate was I ok for three weeks with the rest of them cos I would need to book them in there and then if I wanted them gone

jimmydkid wrote: »
    I sent three heifers to one of Larry’s factories on Monday, agent asked me as he was going out the gate was I ok for three weeks with the rest of them cos I would need to book them in there and then if I wanted them gone

We're they the Angus Jimmy? How did they kill for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

leoch wrote: »
    Chating to a neighbour tonight and he wad trying to get 5 bulls in factory this week but rep told him they done want them but rep said he could kill heifers so man said he could give him 8 heifers so all was grand then rep rang back later saying dont want them either or leave them till the following week......are the factorys getting plenty of stock to kill or wat ......nw factory
    Sent cows yesterday, spoke to agent Monday night and he said drop them up any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

What's the base for bullocks at the moment folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭KAMG

3.75 Base for Bullocks. No change here for 3 or 4 months now at this stage. No profit to be had at that price for winter finishers. At least I'm not in that game. It's hardship enough at summer finishing off grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

KAMG wrote: »
    3.75 Base for Bullocks. No change here for 3 or 4 months now at this stage. No profit to be had at that price for winter finishers. At least I'm not in that game. It's hardship enough at summer finishing off grass.

U grade bulls back at 3.70 now too.

KAMG wrote: »

TBH it was well flaggeds a few times during the autumn that finishing this winter was high risk. The price paid for stores failed to take into account extra costs. It was also obvious from late Autumn on that there would be extra cattle again with the mild weather. But some lads are suckers for punishment. They just do not do the sums and are afraid that this will be the winter where there is a profit. No lad should winter feed cattle without a contracted forward price.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

49801 wrote: »
    any interest in having a factory beef price tracker on here?

got 4 hiefers to go, 3rs and 1o

got the following quotes for base price on Mon 23 Jan

4.10e/kg aibp bandon
    4.15e/kg aibp cahir

quotes including bord bia
    am holding tough as hoping for 4.25e/kg

Quote above is the first post in this thread 7 years ago this week. Says it all really !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Quote above is the first post in this thread 7 years ago this week. Says it all really !
    ================================

Did I read that Teagasc did costings in late 2018 on finishing beef .
    I could be mistaken, but they indicated that farmer should be getting circa 4.50 per kg in factory ..........

Track9 wrote: »
    ================================

Did I read that Teagasc did costings in late 2018 on finishing beef .
    I could be mistaken, but they indicated that farmer should be getting circa 4.50 per kg in factory ..........

That was for winter finishing taking last autumn store price and costs involve in finishing. They only allowed 50/head margin and it was working out over thr 4.5/kg I think it was 4.58/kg. I know at time Teagasc over egg the pudding with costs but lads that decided to finish this winter did not do a cost analysis and neither did they look at the projected outlook. Lads that bought stores and are selling them around now must be taking losses. The last 4-5 years winter finishing was a dead loss but lads seem slow to learn. Load up the diet feeder it will be alright on the night.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

Anybody getting better quotes than 375/385 at present?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Sent a bunch of cows to factory were milked through the winter until now, I bought them between 520 and 580 euros roughly, anyway at 2.60 a kg mainly averaging around 700 euros. Very poor considering the would have got over 900 on a normal year.

The price of prime beef is to take a big hit in the UK next week including in spec AA.

Serious times.

The price of prime beef is to take a big hit in the UK next week including in spec AA.

Serious times.

We'd all want to be eating our fill of beef now that it's so cheap in the supermarket s

Serious times.

Why is that

Slava Ukrainii

Why is that

No explanation given. ABP meant to be dropping 15p off prime beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,498 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

No explanation given. ABP meant to be dropping 15p off prime beef.

Just for the hell of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭locha

Anyone hearing of a 5c drop for next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Fine Day

locha wrote: »

God I hope not. Losing money as it is. What price will they be June/July next with all the cattle start coming from the grass when they always pull the price. As always inputs gone to the roof with outputs gone to the floor.

Haven't heard of a drop but I hear factories are cutting back the kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Prices here in Ennis are shocking today fair sick of this lads round the ring making a killing

lab man wrote: »
    Prices here in Ennis are shocking today fair sick of this lads round the ring making a killing

How are lads around the ring making a killing

Slava Ukrainii

I saw nice hfrs sold today chx 300 kg sold for 630

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Were they suckler or dairy bred?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭blackdog1

locha wrote:

Yes and maybe more the following week. Lot of hearsay atm though

Wow that that's some drop, dairy or suckler!

All this winter lads are taking 3.85 of a base for heifers. Those 300kg heifers will in an average year put on another 2-220kgs at grass this year. House them and bring them to 600-620kgs LW. They will kill about 320DW. Lads killing those heifers at the moment are getting about 1270 euro if they are just grading R-/R= t that weight. Even if right good continental yearlings they might kill another 20-30kgs DW at an R+ price they be making 1400 euro.

They would want to be good suckler heifers for the lads buying them to have any margin over one he has just killed

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

All this winter lads are taking 3.85 of a base for heifers. Those 300kg heifers will in an average year put on another 2-220kgs at grass this year. House them and bring them to 600-620kgs LW. They will kill about 320DW. Lads killing those heifers at the moment are getting about 1270 euro if they are just grading R-/R= t that weight. Even if right good continental yearlings they might kill another 20-30kgs DW at an R+ price they be making 1400 euro.

They would want to be good suckler heifers for the lads buying them to have any margin over one he has just killed

There's no huge margin for the lad finishing the likes of that heifer i'll agree, but there is absolutely no margin for the lad rearing that heifer to 300kgs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

ya 3.70 and 3.80 for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

moll3 wrote: »
    ya 3.70 and 3.80 for next week

Name and shame. Kepak?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

Robson99 wrote: »
    Name and shame. Kepak?

larry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

The whole lot is ****ed. Really screwing the smaller finisher.
    They would rather give an extra 50 yo yos on a beast in the Mart than 5 cent in the factory. Thats what's keeping store price up.
    Change of plan here for the near future. Will be killing of grass bar a few for xmas.
    Catch me once shame on you.... catch me twice shame on me.

Also am beginning to give up on producing QA cattle for them. Buy older cattle and if they take till 35 months so be it. Will still get them on the grid and 10kg extra carcass will cover the QA. Older cattle will put on the weight easier

jimmy G M wrote:
    Were they suckler or dairy bred?

Good sucklers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The whole lot is ****ed. Really screwing the smaller finisher.
    They would rather give an extra 50 yo yos on a beast in the Mart than 5 cent in the factory. Thats what's keeping store price up.
    Change of plan here for the near future. Will be killing of grass bar a few for xmas.
    Catch me once shame on you.... catch me twice shame on me.

Also am beginning to give up on producing QA cattle for them. Buy older cattle and if they take till 35 months so be it. Will still get them on the grid and 10kg extra carcass will cover the QA. Older cattle will put on the weight easier

Good man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I'd think very carefully before you decide to leave the QA scheme.

There is no guarantee you will get the Base Price when producing out of spec cattle, can easily be cut >10c. That's all assuming you can get them killed in the first place as when numbers are high, out of spec cattle are at the back of the queue. When numbers are low you wouldn't have any bother.

It's easy for the usual lads to give you a clap on the back for sticking it to the man, that won't translate to cash in your pocket. QA is possible one of the easiest box ticking exercises there is, most of it is common sense and good practice. The factories use the 30month limit to control demand which is obviously market manipulation, however you deciding to leave the scheme won't solve that particular problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I can understand peoples frustration with the whole QA thing, I was in the mart last night 3 nice proper AA cattle suckler bred (would guess 2 R,s 1 O) 340Kgs but 4 movements €720. A few minutes later 4 AAx (all Os and possibly 1 P) but 1 owner 320 Kgs and they made €740, I know I would prefer to feed the first 3. Its a poor day that whats on the board mean more than the quality of the cattle in the actual ring.

riemann wrote: »
    I'd think very carefully before you decide to leave the QA scheme.

There is no guarantee you will get the Base Price when producing out of spec cattle, can easily be cut >10c. That's all assuming you can get them killed in the first place as when numbers are high, out of spec cattle are at the back of the queue. When numbers are low you wouldn't have any bother.

It's easy for the usual lads to give you a clap on the back for sticking it to the man, that won't translate to cash in your pocket. QA is possible one of the easiest box ticking exercises there is, most of it is common sense and good practice. The factories use the 30month limit to control demand which is obviously market manipulation, however you deciding to leave the scheme won't solve that particular problem.

I do not think he is planning on leaving QA scheme. He is just going finishing cattle that will not be getting the QA as they will be over 30 months. He actually seems to be willing to target cattle are are autumn born taht will not be killed until they hit 35 months.
    Anto_Meath wrote: »
    I can understand peoples frustration with the whole QA thing, I was in the mart last night 3 nice proper AA cattle suckler bred (would guess 2 R,s 1 O) 340Kgs but 4 movements €720. A few minutes later 4 AAx (all Os and possibly 1 P) but 1 owner 320 Kgs and they made €740, I know I would prefer to feed the first 3. Its a poor day that whats on the board mean more than the quality of the cattle in the actual ring.

WTF were these cattle doing with 4 movements and only 340 kgs. I have no sympathy for the owner he bough them at 3 movements. Both lots of cattle were stupid money IMO

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Bass, that is what you get when you have farmers just farming for entitlements. The second lot were bough by a lad who keeps a lot less cattle than he used to, enough to keep the grass short and will sell them again in October. The first lot were sold by a young lad who is only after taking over the farm and seems to be turning it around from a beef finishing farm to a short stay store enterprise, ie buying little light stock keeping them fora few months and then flipping them on again. The mart trade didn't make sense at all last night, it was very dear for light cattle.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement