Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Factory agent rang looking for cows. Is there a scarcity looming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

No
    They are giving good weather over Easter Bbq will be on the agenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Get your cows to a mart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Suppose there have them so cheap & have a market they will always want them. I was told by agent that there is a 3 week queue to get cattle in. Any1 getting the hereford prime off summer bonus texts. Seems like another gimmick of a thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Any quotes for p and o grade cows in munster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

degetme wrote: »
    Any quotes for p and o grade cows in munster
    2.70 to 2.90 p over certain weights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A market for heavy bulls, over 500kgs, has opened to Algeria and swine fever culling in China is increasing demand for poultry and beef worldwide.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/beef-and-cattle-prices-to-jump-460867

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

Any verdict on Glanbia own brand quality beef?

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/news/glanbia-keepak-twenty20-beef-club

Methane reducing feed additives being used as well.
    It's a bit late in the year announcing unless you were 'in the know'. Most of the spring calved herd have finished and aax and hex sold.

I wonder is the "twenty" sign Michael creed is holding, is that the profit per head, or the price of the calf that is purchased. I don't know much about Glanbia but compared to the west cork co.op.s they don't seem to making diary farmers too fat

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭KAMG

Any word on prices for next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Beef kill week starting the 22th April was 30.5K cattle. I presume that we are below 30K now/week. We should see a sharp rise in beef price will we see 4.2/kg for steers by June. The real interesting thing is will the kill remain low for rest of the year. Cumulative kill is up 30K compared to last year 50/50 between young Bulls and Heifers. Taking the fact that we had a strong kill at the end of 2018 are there 50K extra cattle gone out of the system. While bigger processors will have contracted cattle to kill how much of the kill will these supply.

It will all come down to how many cattle come on stream in June.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Buy buy buy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Heard of 1 factory group trying to source cattle for June and July.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Heard of 1 factory group trying to source cattle for June and July.

The big thing will be for lads not to panic sell in mid late June if processors try to drop prices. Remember weight is cheap to put on for next 3 months

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

The big thing will be for lads not to panic sell in mid late June if processors try to drop prices. Remember weight is cheap to put on for next 3 months
    your right . some cattle are so hard to finish under 30 months. I might let a few go over and let them go at there own pace. They are promoting grass fed beef not meal bag fed after all..lol. Give them what they want sure :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Heard talk about this €100m from the conference in Ballinasloe last night (saw it online) sounds like it’s going to happen and finishers are getting it. Wonder how it’s going to be split up?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Heard talk about this €100m from the conference in Ballinasloe last night (saw it online) sounds like it’s going to happen and finishers are getting it. Wonder how it’s going to be split up?

I guess submit factory dockets?

Any quotes yet for next week?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

An truth that finished cattle are scarce? Heard they are mad looking for overaged cattle now.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

An truth that finished cattle are scarce? Heard they are mad looking for overaged cattle now.

Heard the same.

blue5000 wrote: »

I guess submit factory dockets?
    If it goes t finishers it will be paid like a slaughter premium. This will mean that any lad that sold finished cattle in the mart could lose out as well lads that lost out selling store cattle and yearlings throughout the winter will receive nothing.

Contracted finishers and Larry's feedlots will be the big winner. If we take that it will be paid on slughtered cattle from Dec-April inclusive. It will work out about 130 euro/ head. Of course if Larry's own feedlots killed 25k cattle last winter he will get 3.25 million.
    Another great brain fart

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Did ye see Larry's young lad on the Indo giving out about the Dairy cattle coming on stream. You'd love to say 'who's fault is that'.
    I'd also love to debate with him the race to the bottom that the 'big three' are on their pricing to the Supermarkets. These companies have sold beef to the UK supermarkets in some instances below the cost of production to get shelf space and fight off competition. This was done against the back drop of the fifth quarter being the nugget for profit. When the value of this has declined in recent months they have become worried.

I have not seen it yet. However I am really raging over the 100 million. I have no issue with finishers that lost money getting it such as the lads with bulls etc. However I have a huge issue with cattle that were contracted by the processors or cattle that processors finish in there own feedlot getting it. From December to now IMO about 20-30% of the kill is made up of processor controlled cattle that means that 20-30 million of the money is handed out to lads that are not entitled to it.

It will be interesting to see if any of the farm organisation speak up about it or it come up in the different agri news outlets

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I have not seen it yet. However I am really raging over the 100 million. I have no issue with finishers that lost money getting it such as the lads with bulls etc. However I have a huge issue with cattle that were contracted by the processors or cattle that processors finish in there own feedlot getting it. From December to now IMO about 20-30% of the kill is made up of processor controlled cattle that means that 20-30 million of the money is handed out to lads that are not entitled to it.

It will be interesting to see if any of the farm organisation speak up about it or it come up in the different agri news outlets

Better to keep the head down than whinge about it if it comes, it's a huge amount of money even at only getting 80%. Giving farmers €100m is'nt a good image for the Government
    You could say the same for someone with a €50000/yr job, very common now for beef finishers to have good full time jobs.......where do you draw the line as to who should get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

kk.man wrote: »
    Heard the same.

Any quotes lads?

dryan wrote: »
    Any quotes lads?

One guy told me 3.95 and another told me 4.00 for steers. I definitely believe the 1st one you wouldn't know with the second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭QA1

dryan wrote: »
    Any quotes lads?

One guy told me 3.95 and another told me 4.00 for steers. I definitely believe the 1st one you wouldn't know with the second one.

neighbour got e 4 base for bullocks
    send to one of the independent plants up the country not sure which one

• Advertisement

If it goes t finishers it will be paid like a slaughter premium. This will mean that any lad that sold finished cattle in the mart could lose out as well lads that lost out selling store cattle and yearlings throughout the winter will receive nothing.

Contracted finishers and Larry's feedlots will be the big winner. If we take that it will be paid on slughtered cattle from Dec-April inclusive. It will work out about 130 euro/ head. Of course if Larry's own feedlots killed 25k cattle last winter he will get 3.25 million.
    Another great brain fart
    I’ll take that, thought it would be closer to the hundred.

wrangler wrote: »
    Better to keep the head down than whinge about it if it comes, it's a huge amount of money even at only getting 80%. Giving farmers €100m is'nt a good image for the Government
    You could say the same for someone with a €50000/yr job, very common now for beef finishers to have good full time jobs.......where do you draw the line as to who should get it.

What has the part time job got to do with it?

It all depends who holds what viewpoint!

Bass reckoned goodman was too well off to get it, my point is where do you draw the line, part time farmer with a good job is better insulated against the losses than the full time farmer. Everyone should get it.......IF it comes

Another great brain fart

Bass reckoned goodman was too well off to get it, my point is where do you draw the line, part time farmer with a good job is better insulated against the losses than the full time farmer. Everyone should get it.......IF it comes

Reread my post. I never said anything about Goodman being too well off.

My objection to processor owned feedlots getting the money is that they use these cattle to manipulate the market also cattle contracted by processors should not be included for any subsidity as these cattle did not lose money for the finishers.
    If 100 million is available for the dry stock losses then it should be targets at the people who lost money not as a top up to already profitable business manipulating the price or to cattle that were produced that could not have incurred a loss

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Men I know lost serious money at winter finishing this year particular the ones with bulls.

Reread my post. I never said anything about Goodman being too well off.

My objection to processor owned feedlots getting the money is that they use these cattle to manipulate the market also cattle contracted by processors should not be included for any subsidity as these cattle did not lose money for the finishers.
    If 100 million is available for the dry stock losses then it should be targets at the people who lost money not as a top up to already profitable business manipulating the price or to cattle that were produced that could not have incurred a loss

Are you in the real world, every business does what they have to do to cut costs,,They cannot be held to ransom by suppliers,
    I can't believe that the processors haven't told the the farmers that this is the way it is ....take it or leave it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

OH got a phone call last week from a factory manager looking for cattle/cull cows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Are you in the real world, every business does what they have to do to cut costs,,They cannot be held to ransom by suppliers,
    I can't believe that the processors haven't told the the farmers that this is the way it is ....take it or leave it.

True.....they would also have a responsibility not to squeeze every last drop of blood out of them either.

amacca wrote: »
    True.....they would also have a responsibility not to squeeze every last drop of blood out of them either.

They don't really. There is very few farmers on here that don't buy inputs as cheap as they can as well, we don't care about our suppliers staying in business either.
    Years of weak selling has brought us to where we are, and it'll be the processors that'll drag us out of this present mess rather than farmers driving out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

They don't really. There is very few farmers on here that don't buy inputs as cheap as they can as well, we don't care about our suppliers staying in business either.
    Years of weak selling has brought us to where we are, and it'll be the processors that'll drag us out of this present mess rather than farmers driving out of it.

Point taken to an extent but even an exterminator leaves a few alive if he wants his business to continue.

I presume you mean they will drag us out of it by driving efficiencies?

Because as we see a lot of farmers are leaving it. Larry's son moaning in today's FI looking for payments to be linked to suckler because suckler farmers are exiting the industry especially the larger herds on better land. Will lads fill there sheds as fast next winter will we see average kills of 35K+ next winter. We might but we will not the year after.

There is a limited pot of money available in BPS, GLAS, ANC TAMs etc. There is not golden goose to lay more eggs. If as IFA, FJ and MII want money to be linked to suckler cows this money has to be taken off far payments elsewhere. As beef farmers we cannot exist when the base is below 4/kg, suckler's need an even higher base. Processors know that as well they have the figures. They know exactly how much money they lose/animal in there feedlots. They know exactly how much contract feedlots require before they will stock there sheds.

They know as well that at present the lack of profitability in beef will see the beef kill shrink over the next 3-5 years as calves will be slaughtered at 2-3 weeks, suckler cows will cease, calf and store rearers will downsize.

Wrangler it is you who do not live in the real world. You farmed in a protected cocoon most your life without> You never had to deal with the market realities farmers now deal with. So do yourself a favour go back into your cocoon. I could put it more bluntly but I will not.

You continually misquote other people posts and do not like being pulled up on it.

Slava Ukrainii

amacca wrote: »
    Point taken to an extent but even an exterminator leaves a few alive if he wants his business to continue.

I presume you mean they will drag us out of it by driving efficiencies?

No, but they put huge effort into developing new products, researching new customers,
    They're always looking for new markets.seem to have found one for heavy cattle now. That's the only way to get out of this mess. Providing a forum for abusing the Irish Beef Industry on social media definitely won't encourage new customers.
    If you watch Dragons Den on Television, retailers demand 50+% profit for selling.
    In all the messing over the last 6mths, BPM haven't a clue where the money goes in Beef processing

No, but they put huge effort into developing new products, researching new customers,
    They're always looking for new markets.seem to have found one for heavy cattle now. That's the only way to get out of this mess. Providing a forum for abusing the Irish Beef Industry on social media definitely won't encourage new customers.
    If you watch Dragons Den on Television, retailers demand 50+% profit for selling.
    In all the messing over the last 6mths, BPM haven't a clue where the money goes in Beef processing

What market have they found for heavy cattle? Great if they have. Might cut back the weight penalty’s a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Brazil, the largest exporter of Beef in the world, export 20% of their beef. We export 90% of ours. We are totally at the mercy of world markets. That's our problem in a nutshell.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Brazil, the largest exporter of Beef in the world, export 20% of their beef. We export 90% of ours. We are totally at the mercy of world markets. That's our problem in a nutshell.
    +1
    At the end of the day we have too many cattle on our little island and something has to give way in order to make livestock farming sustainable in the future.

Our suckler cow numbers are dropping whilst the dairy herd is expanding so the status quo regarding beef/dairy cross cattle is going to remain much the same.

TBH I would love if we had a proper extensive livestock scheme where we would be rewarded for producing grass fed beef irrespective of age - if they go over 30 months, so what. Such a scheme could sustain farming on marginal land (whether full time or part time farmers) whilst ensuring the the biodiversity of our little island .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Men I know lost serious money at winter finishing this year particular the ones with bulls.

They'll make it back next winter. Soya looking cheap and stores not too bad starting out.

The €100m has been got anyway, only one organisation (IFA) was driving that campaign.
    Huge amount of money considering a lot of feeders are feeding big numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

The €100m has been got anyway, only one organisation (IFA) was driving that campaign.
    Huge amount of money considering a lot of feeders are feeding big numbers.

How will the 100 mill be divided up is it for finishers only?

marathon wrote: »
    A couple of million each to AIBP, Dawn and Kepac, then another 8-10 million to there contracted finishers. The other 50-100k farmers and finishers can squabble over the rest

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

A couple of million each to AIBP, Dawn and Kepac, then another 8-10 million to there contracted finishers. The other 50-100k farmers and finishers can squabble over the rest

You left out about 50% admin costs

Can’t see that happening although it was suit me. I’d say they’ll give a top up on the bfp so the dairy men can get a slice of it too.

It will be a mess the way they will distribute the fund but the main thing is that the money is secured.

I had to kill cattle last July (less than 70 days in the herd) because of the severe drought. I lost my QA on them but they had to go as I couldn't keep numbers and no grass. Cattle as a result fell in price like a rocket when the lairages of the factories filled up .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Just had a call from an agent looking for heavy cows.

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »
    Just had a call from an agent looking for heavy cows.

It’s the same every year. They’ll not be long dropping quotes. I’d say cattle will come fit off grass early this year. They had a good thrive in the back end, were housed late and got out to grass early and seem to be fattening up already. That’s the case here anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement