Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

It really a matter of cutting costs to the bone to stay in business. forget about Teagasc of more production/HA. Forget about chasing your tail. Stock at what is viable to carry on your land. Unless you are going to plant it most other option at present are loss making. Let your cattle in the one bunch and move them across the farm. Spread a bit of Fertlizer for early growth. Cut your silage in one cut if possible in Late May/Early June. Forget about age and QA buy value carry them to finish. Maximise your GLAS/REPS, ANC and Discussion group. If there is any quite poor land on the place plant it. Silage and minerals over the winter will carry most stores. If cattle numbers drop producing excess silage or Hay will be loss making as well. For every cow on the place you should be able to carry 0.7-1.5 Beef System units.

What a BS unit, it depend on your system. In Calf to Beef it would be a calf and a yearling and a finishing bullock if you went that direction. If you decide to buy as yearlings it a yearling and a finishing animal etc. You nay decide to go with a bunch of cull cows or heifer rearing. but try to match your stocking rate to your farm with some fertlizer and minimum ration or nuts.

I expect that this years ones graded poorer as well. Early July last year the base was hitting 4/kg at on Monday they were 3.60 or 3.65/kg. at 3.47/kg they look as if they graded a sub grade or two down.

Only issue about selling silage standing is replacing the nutrients used. 5 bags of 18-6-12/acre is 90 euro/acre approx
    Might not happen that way bass , but one thing for sure is the sucklers are getting the road ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

They are starting to want cattle booked in 2 weeks in advance. This can mean one if two things. Either they are struggling to sell the beef and numbers being killed are too high or they are expecting that the numbers coming in are slowing down. They usually do this trick in the Autumn to stretch the kill out nearer Christmas and they did it this March/April buy slowing the excessively high bull kill.

It may be a chink of light but it may also be that there seems to be high numbers right across Europe

The factories down here (mid west) are on a 2 week waiting list for the last 3 or 4 months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Can you see strong weanling and lighter store prices come October?

This is already happening to an extent in my opinion, there's lots of lads currently banking on buying weanlings and selling stores. It's a high risk system imo, there's far more customers for a weanling than a forward store in the marts I attend. When you see a nice weanling circa 300kg at €2.50kg and upwards versus the same 2 year old bullock perhaps struggling to break the €2kg it's not hard to make up the margin. I'm not begrudging the suckler producer anything but I don't know if the man selling the stores is any better off although his labour input should be significantly lower.

It's all a pyramid scheme as far as I'm concerned and once we keep fighting amoung ourselves the real bad guy's continue to bleed us dry. The suckler game is over imo and I don't think rearing dairy X cattle will be our salvation either despite it's constant suggestion by the powers that be. I've said it before that a suckler reduction payment is our best hope of at least reducing the losses incurred annually across the sector. There's twice too much cattle available at the minute and no amount of protesting will change this fact as much as I hate to admit it, supply and demand rules all markets be it beef or ballpoint pens if it's plentiful it's cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

i was a weanling buying man but Im not buying them this year. Too much cost to be added on the buying price. Half them are not dosed. I do them with IBR and RSP . dose them, blackleg, squeeze them . Then probably have to skull a few in spring because some eegit cut the ends of the horns. It all adds up and then mind them like children for a month when they arrive. Not worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Might not happen that way bass , but one thing for sure is the sucklers are getting the road ,

I think any one that has sucklers should consider waiting to see if a reduction scheme comes in in the next 6-12 months. They should even back the ICSA campaign for it. 100/cow for 4-5 years would take the sting out of it and give you a start at whatever you decide to trade into. I imagine you be banging an open door. There should be a push in the budget for it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

In spec, all the boxes ticked cattle are scare enough. I got that impression when I booked in my cattle and this was confirmed to me by a large finisher. What's killing the job is the diary cross cattle and thus dragging down the price of the good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

There's twice too much cattle available at the minute and no amount of protesting will change this fact as much as I hate to admit it, supply and demand rules all markets be it beef or ballpoint pens if it's plentiful it's cheap.

That’s it in a nutshell and no point looking for increased subsidises for suckler beef when the market is giving such a poor return. If they want it let them pay for it

kk.man wrote: »
    In spec, all the boxes ticked cattle are scare enough. I got that impression when I booked in my cattle and this was confirmed to me by a large finisher. What's killing the job is the diary cross cattle and thus dragging down the price of the good ones.

Most Dairy/Beef crosses will grade O=/O+ if you look at the kill figures young bulls are 550 ahead of last year and heifers( which come fit faster than bullocks) are 1500 ahead of last year. There are 400 extra bulls this either suggests lots of lads are slaughtering breeding bulls or more likely that there are over 24 month bulls still in the system. Steers are ahead by 200 and cows are back by 1200.

Young Bull kill is ahead by 15K year on year which suggests that a lot cattle were killed as young bulls last winter and the kill is still remaining strong.

Looking at it there are some positives. Cow kill is going down and heifer kill is 27K ahea of this time last year.If each of the sectors dropped by 4-600 it would be a different show

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭morphy87

Most Dairy/Beef crosses will grade O=/O+ if you look at the kill figures young bulls are 550 ahead of last year and heifers( which come fit faster than bullocks) are 1500 ahead of last year. There are 400 extra bulls this either suggests lots of lads are slaughtering breeding bulls or more likely that there are over 24 month bulls still in the system. Steers are ahead by 200 and cows are back by 1200.

Young Bull kill is ahead by 15K year on year which suggests that a lot cattle were killed as young bulls last winter and the kill is still remaining strong.

Looking at it there are some positives. Cow kill is going down and heifer kill is 27K ahea of this time last year.If each of the sectors dropped by 4-600 it would be a different show

So you reckon things numbers could tighten up? And if so when do you think? I know of a few lads that decided to finish out of the shed this year instead of letting the cattle out on grass to finish so maybe things will turn

• Advertisement

morphy87 wrote: »
    So you reckon things numbers could tighten up? And if so when do you think? I know of a few lads that decided to finish out of the shed this year instead of letting the cattle out on grass to finish so maybe things will turn

The numbers say they should but the kill has stayed stubbornly high. Now the processor's put it out that they would because of cattle for July. Some lads really bit onto it. I know there may have been some contract's handed out to them. If you look at the average prices paid on agriland some ABP and Dawn plants are averaging 8-10 c above what they should be especially as they seem to be the ones holding the toughest line on price to ordinary suppliers and dropping it fastest to locals suppliers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

got rid of the sucklers this winter and so glad i did , bought yearlings in april and they never looked back. i never had to go near them since the day they arrived they will get a dose for worms in a week with the rest of the group , the last 3 cows that were thin in the shed are going factory tomorrow. it will be a very long time before a suckler cow stands on these lands again.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Just off phone to the agent. 3.60 and thats not the end of the drop and who knows where it'll stop !! It's beyond depressing.
    Have 12 to go this time which is the same number as I sent this time last year. They went at 4.10 !! Only comfort is these should weigh and grade a bit better.
    Genuinely feel for the lads trying to make a living from beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

If the factory drop was reflected on the retail side farmers would have some understanding. They must be making huge profits at our expense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Hear of more drops coming alright.

Half the number of cattle will be sold from here next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

After the winter of 2013-14 a lot of finishers lost money and a good few got taken over as factory controlled feedlots. I think they are trying to squeeze farmers out of finishing altogether, drop the forward store price as low as possible and finish at least half the winter kill in factory controlled/owned feedlots. Just my humble 2 cents.

It's been impossible to get cattle killed all spring in the midlands. Larry has been trucking his own cattle from Louth as far south as Nenagh and Cahir, if we ring up looking for a quote or to get cattle booked in all we hear is ring us next week, but the lairage is always busy........

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,782 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

jntsnk wrote: »
    If the factory drop was reflected on the retail side farmers would have some understanding. They must be making huge profits at our expense!

Has the demand from consumers dropped? Is all this vegan and environmental accusations starting to take effect on the retail trade?
    Commodities and feedlots can be talked about till the cows come home (pun) but maybe there's something else beyond your control affecting price.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

You'd prefer Creed and Co to come out with it straight and tell us they don't want it.

Instead of letting farmers literally die out.

Not a man under 50 is around here anymore during the week. None of the neighbours were bothered to protest yesterday as they all have jobs to go to.

If they gave a tax break for the destocking year wouldnt it give lads a chance to do something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I have to agree with Blue, the factories see this as the time to dominate cattle and agriculture at all stages and aspects.

With the never-ending **** up that is the Eurozone, they can borrow money for next to nothing and they can squeeze people out.

Cattle kill is undeniable high.

Cattle have dropped in price.

Retailers have maintained the price per kegs.

There is no intervention.

Carcasses are not in cold storage because there is no cold stores.

It all adds up to farmers are being rode, plain and simple.

Danzy wrote: »
    Hear of more drops coming alright.

Half the number of cattle will be sold from here next year.

It may tighten faster than we think local factory agents were looking for cattle that were booked for Friday and next week yesterday. Not many but it was strange to see if there was such a glut.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

It may tighten faster than we think local factory agents were looking for cattle that were booked for Friday and next week yesterday. Not many but it was strange to see if there was such a glut.

They’ll get plenty cattle cause of the 30 month rule. Puts the farmer in a corner, as usual!

Would there be a huge difference in demand from the factories in different localities or is it reasonable to assume one factories demand would be an nationwide indicator ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Dickie10 wrote: »
    got rid of the sucklers this winter and so glad i did , bought yearlings in april and they never looked back. i never had to go near them since the day they arrived they will get a dose for worms in a week with the rest of the group , the last 3 cows that were thin in the shed are going factory tomorrow. it will be a very long time before a suckler cow stands on these lands again.
    Did you but continental of dairy x stock? Your dead right btw. I have cut back by a third, I dunno why not more. It’s actually hard to pull the plug after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

They’ll get plenty cattle cause of the 30 month rule. Puts the farmer in a corner, as usual!

Going to let cattle go over 30 months next week. They are thriving away, have plenty of grass and are a long way from being over fat. What’s the worst that can happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 blue.dub4sam

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Going to let cattle go over 30 months next week. They are thriving away, have plenty of grass and are a long way from being over fat. What’s the worst that can happen.

Traditionally the price pull that happens in August will soon be due. I honestly don't know what is going to happen but mine have grass so at least I'm not feeding meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

So it's €100 per animal over 12 months killed between July 18 and June 19 (inclusive) up to a max of 100 animals
    €40 per suckler cow that calved in 2018 up to a max of 40 cows
    Must be a 5% reduction in stocking rate in 2021 vs 2019
    Applicants must be in an environmental scheme or BDGP or quality assured to qualify.
    Dairy farmers excluded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Cattle kill is undeniable high.

Cattle have dropped in price.

Retailers have maintained the price per kegs.

There is no intervention.

Carcasses are not in cold storage because there is no cold stores.

It all adds up to farmers are being rode, plain and simple.

Is it just me or is Phil Hogan look very happy these days. Just seeing him smiling a lot more in recent photos.

Heard that he got re-elected recently as well. What Mercorsur.
    Chickens are roosting now.
    Robert Emmet is turning in his grave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't mention chickens, next thing we'll be getting chlorinated ones.

If you had his salary, you'd smile too. Maybe he is just happy in his personal life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Water John wrote: »
    Don't mention chickens, next thing we'll be getting chlorinated ones.

If you had his salary, you'd smile too. Maybe he is just happy in his personal life.

Money doesn't guarantee happiness. As it says in the Bible - give to Caesar, what belongs to Caesar.

tanko wrote: »
    So it's €100 per animal over 12 months killed between July 18 and June 19 (inclusive) up to a max of 100 animals
    Applicants must be in an environmental scheme or BDGP or quality assured to qualify.
    Dairy farmers excluded.

Where you see that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Where you see that?

It was on Agriland this morning

Dairy farmers excluded.

Thought it was between end of sept to start of May as in the FJ
    Would prefer July 18- June 19 though.

Thought it was between end of sept to start of May as in the FJ
    Would prefer July 18- June 19 though.

Ahh looked it up. The reference period for it will run from July 2018 to June 2019 (inclusive) to be compared with July 2020 to June 2021 (inclusive)
    This is the stocking rate comparison for the 5% reduction in nitrates

Is it just me or is Phil Hogan look very happy these days. Just seeing him smiling a lot more in recent photos.

Heard that he got re-elected recently as well. What Mercorsur.
    Chickens are roosting now.
    Robert Emmet is turning in his grave.

I never thought Hogan would sell out Irish farmers. He was always a stalwart for agriculture. His Dail election base is made up of rural Kilkenny. If he was to run here again he wouldn't get elected. Alot of bad taste around here.

I never thought Hogan would sell out Irish farmers. He was always a stalwart for agriculture. His Dail election base is made up of rural Kilkenny. If he was to run here again he wouldn't get elected. Alot of bad taste around here.

Can’t see how he could show his face in Kilkenny again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I think this is the approach a lot more will take. Feck the 12 cent QA.
    1kg lwg a day at grass and in 3 weeks you would have pretty much have the 12 cent got back.
    Have 5 or 6 here that will be 30 months in Sept. Seriously thinking of letting them go till near xmas. Yes they will have to get meal in November and December but they will be much heavier.
    Whats the point in pushing them now and having to overpay for stores to eat the grass.
    IMO bord bia compliance farmers will soon be few and fr between

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Dairy farmers excluded.

No doubt if the above comes to pass, the input of the agricultural consultants association will be required to get a cent. so more than just the farmer to get a cut.

Dairy farmers excluded.

That will put a floor under store prices in the autumns. There will be lot of sad lad who rushed to slaughter cattle in May the 100 cattle max will hit them and as well they now need to keep there stocking rate up for 2019 so as to manage a 5% reduction in 2021. It will be managed by you nitrated levels but exporting slurry will be no good to you to get below it.
    Did not expect to but will make a few bob out of it a pity I did not slaughter a load or two in June however my stocking level will be high for the year so will not have to drop stocking levels in 2021 too much

There will be a lot of sad finishers who taught there was a bonanza to be had

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Ahh looked it up. The reference period for it will run from July 2018 to June 2019 (inclusive) to be compared with July 2020 to June 2021 (inclusive)
    This is the stocking rate comparison for the 5% reduction in nitrates

What happens after June 2021 ? Can you up stocking rate again?

• Advertisement

Do you have to apply to get access to the fund or will the department just work of records showing who killed what over the timeframe in question ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

Robson99 wrote: »
    1kg lwg a day at grass and in 3 weeks you would have pretty much have the 12 cent got back.
    Have 5 or 6 here that will be 30 months in Sept. Seriously thinking of letting them go till near xmas. Yes they will have to get meal in November and December but they will be much heavier.
    Whats the point in pushing them now and having to overpay for stores to eat the grass.

Correct I’m not jumping through hoops anymore bord bia or any other scheme. Both of us working full time with kids as well, leasing the place out is the only option when glas scheme is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Robson99 wrote: »

Fully agree with ye. I’m saying to hell with the 30 months too. As you say what’s the point in pushing them for nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Do you have to apply to get access to the fund or will the department just work of records showing who killed what over the timeframe in question ?
    After reading the article from Adam Woods in the Farmers Journal, the Government have to inform the EU of what measures are entailed in the scheme by the 31st of July. After that application forms will be available and farmers will have to apply to the scheme. It doesn't say if farmers can apply directly or through their ag advisor. I hope that we can apply directly and avoid unwarranted costs.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/100m-beam-scheme-are-you-eligible-for-the-beef-aid-payment-478620

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

gerryirl wrote: »
    Fully agree with ye. I’m saying to hell with the 30 months too. As you say what’s the point in pushing them for nothing

I can see them putting a bigger penalty for non QA if there's not enough Quality Assured cattle available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

....the whole point of knocking sh!te out of the price is to make stores cheap at the back end..... Lads will fill the sheds to get rode again.

Lads seriously seriously need to sit back and evaluate. And take full responsibility for their actions and stop lookng for a scapegoat.

Nobody is forcing anyone to produce cattle for nothing.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me!"

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    I can see them putting a bigger penalty for non QA if there's not enough Quality Assured cattle available

There’ll still be the same about of qa cattle the factories just won’t have to pay us the 12cent

There’ll still be the same about of qa cattle the factories just won’t have to pay us the 12cent

If the farm isn't QA the cattle aren't QA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

wrangler wrote: »

Yeah this rather than increase the bonus for those that qualify. Fooked up

Muckit wrote: »
    Yeah this rather than increase the bonus for those that qualify. Fooked up

That's why I said it that way, they'll make sure to maximise QAs any way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Just wondering how is the " 5% reduction in stocking rate in 2021 vs 2019" is going to work, will they pay you say 100 cattle killed x €100 plus 40 cow x €40 = €11,600 later on this year and then in 2021 if you don't meet this criteria they will take it all back from you, it seems a bit strange. I can tell you 1 thing i wouldn't be going banking on any of it just yet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement