Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Good loser wrote: »
    No,no,no. Sure to make things worse if anything.

I want to move stock this week.

On its own the fall of sterling against the euro has taken 14c/kg off the base price in the last two weeks. You're in Brexit land now!

Exactly. So it’s the drop in sterling that’s being passed to the farmer this week. My blood boils on this crap - every single thing is passed to the farmers. Why can’t retailers and processors take the hit.

And oh, I have cattle that I desperately need to go this week too. But not at the expense of the future of beef farmers or what’s left of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

Dunedin wrote: »
    Exactly. So it’s the drop in sterling that’s being passed to the farmer this week. My blood boils on this crap - every single thing is passed to the farmers. Why can’t retailers and processors take the hit.

And oh, I have cattle that I desperately need to go this week too. But not at the expense of the future of beef farmers or what’s left of them.

Retailers, processors and farmers (that includes me) all buy for as cheap as possible and sell for as much as possible. That's the way it is - in the past, the present and the future. And no amount of protesting, striking, blockading etc will make a blind bit of difference.

The market rules in this business and if you don't like it do something else.

If the price went to €4 /kg as some suggest I would flog every beast in to the factory (fit or not) as fast as possible. If there was a free for all there would be miles of queues for each plant.

In my opinion the net effect of these protests will more likely be to be lower returns rather than increase them. That is what I expect to happen in my own case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

The market rules in this business and if you don't like it do something else

Are you happy that the market is a Cartel that pays virtually the same price across supposed independent companies? Amazing how they manage that fairly isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

Retailers, processors and farmers (that includes me) all buy for as cheap as possible and sell for as much as possible. That's the way it is - in the past, the present and the future. And no amount of protesting, striking, blockading etc will make a blind bit of difference.

The market rules in this business and if you don't like it do something else.

If the price went to €4 /kg as some suggest I would flog every beast in to the factory (fit or not) as fast as possible. If there was a free for all there would be miles of queues for each plant.

In my opinion the net effect of these protests will more likely be to be lower returns rather than increase them. That is what I expect to happen in my own case.

The above statement is pure nonsense. If everyone had these views no business would exist.
    The beef process & retail industry is toxic. Farmers are been ripped of for years. Time for the industry to be shuck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

That comment about it being the market and like it or get out is wrong.

The current distortion goes back to the Common Agricultural Policy introduced post WW2 when Europe was starving.

If all groups had played reasonably fairly since then all parts of the supply chain from farmer to retailer would be fairly compensated.

Only what has happened in the past 30 years is that retailers and processors have taken advantage of their size and consolidation opposite small fragmented farmers who lets face were behind the game in getting organized.

Retailers and processors have shaped policy, subsidies formats and have brought mass consumers food in volumes at low prices.

Net result is they’re taking the profits available and the farmer is kept on life support through state subsidies.

How Governments allowed tax payers money to end up indirectly in the pockets of these groups across Europe is the scandal. Instead consumers living in cities only hear farmers getting free handouts. They can’t make the connection between that and cheap food in their highly profitable local retailer.

People have forgetter that food is not a god given right to be bought for the lowest price on a shelf. God forbid and I’m not wishing that might take another event on a scale of WW2 to remind people of that but it will take something of a serious nature to rebalance things.

• Advertisement

By the way local buyer here told one of the lads to wait til the pickets die down and prices are going to get some hidin in the back end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Heard 3.45 for bullocks....

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭manjou

The current distortion goes back to the Common Agricultural Policy introduced post WW2 when Europe was starving.

If all groups had played reasonably fairly since then all parts of the supply chain from farmer to retailer would be fairly compensated.

Only what has happened in the past 30 years is that retailers and processors have taken advantage of their size and consolidation opposite small fragmented farmers who lets face were behind the game in getting organized.

Retailers and processors have shaped policy, subsidies formats and have brought mass consumers food in volumes at low prices.

Net result is they’re taking the profits available and the farmer is kept on life support through state subsidies.

How Governments allowed tax payers money to end up indirectly in the pockets of these groups across Europe is the scandal. Instead consumers living in cities only hear farmers getting free handouts. They can’t make the connection between that and cheap food in their highly profitable local retailer.

People have forgetter that food is not a god given right to be bought for the lowest price on a shelf. God forbid and I’m not wishing that might take another event on a scale of WW2 to remind people of that but it will take something of a serious nature to rebalance things.
    as my grandfather used to day a good war or famine is needed to remind people

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Heard €3:45 to Larry wouldn’t give more and going to send them to 3:20 by the next meeting
    Where going to get punished for protesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Duke92 wrote: »
    Heard €3:45 to Larry wouldn’t give more and going to send them to 3:20 by the next meeting

That personally would make my blood boil to the point of cutting off my nose to spite my face

**** em......were not not naughty children to be punished.....if its the case I hope people don't take it lying down.

I hope people stick the boot into the system when they get the opportunity like its been doing to the primary producer for the last number of decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

He can’t exactly back track and say, hey I can give you e4 this week, I’m very very sorry for putting you in this situation and I promise I’ll never do it again.

They gave 3:50 on Monday
    Because of the talks
    Have 40 left 20 probably fit so I’ll let them off
    Just so sick of it
    I taught they might have steadied them at 3:50 you’d think that was bad enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If they drop it to 3 20 time to block everything coming out or in, for weeks to come.

If they want to close us, we might as well go down throwing a bit back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

They were rattled last week, if they even think of 3.20, they're deluded.
    They're going around begging for cattle. Hold your ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭older by the day

Problem is the likes of Larry are millionaires. Your not going to hurt them. We can't put pressure on him. Even if he got no cattle til xmass. He can lay off everyone and it wouldn't dent his pockets. The TDS are the ones to hurt. Protest outside there homes and offices. They will either lose there jobs or sort it. It's amazing the power they have when they are pressurized

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Problem is the likes of Larry are millionaires. Your not going to hurt them. We can't put pressure on him. Even if he got no cattle til xmass. He can lay off everyone and it wouldn't dent his pockets. The TDS are the ones to hurt. Protest outside there homes and offices. They will either lose there jobs or sort it. It's amazing the power they have when they are pressurized

I'd imagine he has contracts to fill though which he doesn't want to lose.

I'd imagine he has contracts to fill though which he doesn't want to lose.

We don't want to lose contracts either. I'm all for the protest and we need a margin. But the politicians and press don't give a Shiite about the protest because it didn't effect them

Larry and co have built empires out of the meat business since he left school and fair play to him and the rest. This is the business they eat, drink and sleep. Blood sweat and tears went into the great multinationals that they are. No other business will or could give those people as much satisfaction as the ones which made them what they are. They have diversified yes but none of the diversification is as profitable as their meat businesses. They aquired these ventures like any good business to have 'eggs in different baskets' in case things go south.

Let me tell you, it did hurt, farmers were gaining such momention last week it scared them for the first time in many a year. How long have you been hearing about cold stores packed? Yet the McD contract with Dawn was looking under pressure. Burgers are made from the cheapest and most plentiful meat on an animal. The spin was and is unreal and exposed. They do care.

They were on the rack and shouldn't be allowed forget it.

Are you happy that the market is a Cartel that pays virtually the same price across supposed independent companies? Amazing how they manage that fairly isn't it.

So you're calling it a conspiracy? That's always the weakest of arguments.

If factory A pays 5 cent more than factory B stock move there (they are mobile!). If A pays 5cent less than B they desert A.

In that manner the price is always equalizing. The surprise would be if it wasn't.

I'm 45 years in this business and it was always ruled by the market except when there was intervention and export refunds.

Currently the BPS is in play to cope with market fluctuations. We were spoiled for years as the price didn't fall as expected when the BPS system came in.

The currency was 85 pence/euro in the Spring and 93 pence now (94 at weekend); that's around 10%. 10% of €3.75 gives a 37.5 cent reduction.

Some think the pound will fall to parity with the Euro before the end of the year.

Naturally factories don't want trouble or disruption. But they can't gainsay the currency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What can politicians do exactly?

Influence Europe...why do meat ompanies pay donations to political parties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kk.man wrote: »
    Influence Europe...why do meat ompanies pay donations to political parties?

So your meps? Like mick wallace? A proven tax thief?
    I don't know why meat companies pay donations to political parties
    I don't think the politicians can force the factories to pay more for cattle tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

One thing they could do is bring the competition authority before an oireachtas committee for investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm 45 years in this business and it was always ruled by the market except when there was intervention and export refunds.

Currently the BPS is in play to cope with market fluctuations. We were spoiled for years as the price didn't fall as expected when the BPS system came in.

The currency was 85 pence/euro in the Spring and 93 pence now (94 at weekend); that's around 10%. 10% of €3.75 gives a 37.5 cent reduction.

Some think the pound will fall to parity with the Euro before the end of the year.

Naturally factories don't want trouble or disruption. But they can't gainsay the currency.

Very true, If factories were getting €10/kg in britain 3mths ago they are now only getting €9/kg, they still have to pay the same wages, transport and running costs, they can't cut these by 10%

So your meps? Like mick wallace? A proven tax thief?
    I don't know why meat companies pay donations to political parties
    I don't think the politicians can force the factories to pay more for cattle tbh

No they can't force them to pay more but they could make life very difficult for them. Meat ompanies would not be concerned with independent in general. It's well known they have given finna fail and fine Gael huge sums of money in the past. I bet if you foi it you would confirm it's still going on.
    Also didn't it do Larry no harm when he got into trouble. He knocked on Charlie's door and it worked the other way too. When cnd foods went on fire ...who was first to the rescue?

I tell ya these boys should have been kerry men in a former life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Danzy wrote: »
    If they drop it to 3 20 time to block everything coming out or in, for weeks to come.

If they want to close us, we might as well go down throwing a bit back.

Lads would want to get real if any factory cut by 5c/kg next week we should protest at that factory again. ICSA made a telling point Competition authority were fartng around we are not allowed to negotiate on price. producers are allowed as long as they do not control more than 15% of the cattle kill. Its unlikly that BP controls more than 15% as its mostly smaller finishers and suckler farmers that are members. Anyway a local producer could be set up to protest locally

It a matter of know how to act the bollax

If factory A pays 5 cent more than factory B stock move there (they are mobile!). If A pays 5cent less than B they desert A.

In that manner the price is always equalizing. The surprise would be if it wasn't.

I would not move cattle 40-50km extra for 5c/kg. 3c/kg is usually the cost of the extra transport. Yes it is a cartel when selected finishers and there own feedlots are getting 20-30c/kg extra. The onlt time there is competition is when numbers drop below 30K

You have a big gra for BPS. That would be grand is it was the same rate/farmer or if it was a rate/animal. It is not it is an income support that is variable across the agri industry. You fail to account that as well the UK retail price has gone up by 10 in the last 12 months. By the look of it most contracts are rolling 3-6 months contracts. As well most larger companies protect themselves by hedging against currency fluctuation. At most it is effecting them by 10-15c/kg if even that.

Its an open secret that they want to collapse the store price to encourage finishers to fill shed. Wake up and smell the coffee. Over the last 3-4 years it has been summer grazing men that have kept a base under autumn the idea is to wipe out there margin this year. Its suits loads of larger finishers taht this will happen.

How often have we heard this summer store price is too dear, there price is crazy etc etc
    wrangler wrote: »
    Very true, If factories were getting €10/kg in britain 3mths ago they are now only getting €9/kg, they still have to pay the same wages, transport and running costs, they can't cut these by 10%

We have meal , fertlizer, contractor and other bills neither can we.

Slava Ukrainii

Lads would want to get real if any factory cut by 5c/kg next week we should protest at that factory again. ICSA made a telling point Competition authority were fartng around we are not allowed to negotiate on price. producers are allowed as long as they do not control more than 15% of the cattle kill. Its unlikly that BP controls more than 15% as its mostly smaller finishers and suckler farmers that are members. Anyway a local producer could be set up to protest locally

It a matter of know how to act the bollax

I would not move cattle 40-50km extra for 5c/kg. 3c/kg is usually the cost of the extra transport. Yes it is a cartel when selected finishers and there own feedlots are getting 20-30c/kg extra. The onlt time there is competition is when numbers drop below 30K

You have a big gra for BPS. That would be grand is it was the same rate/farmer or if it was a rate/animal. It is not it is an income support that is variable across the agri industry. You fail to account that as well the UK retail price has gone up by 10 in the last 12 months. By the look of it most contracts are rolling 3-6 months contracts. As well most larger companies protect themselves by hedging against currency fluctuation. At most it is effecting them by 10-15c/kg if even that.

Its an open secret that they want to collapse the store price to encourage finishers to fill shed. Wake up and smell the coffee. Over the last 3-4 years it has been summer grazing men that have kept a base under autumn the idea is to wipe out there margin this year. Its suits loads of larger finishers taht this will happen.

How often have we heard this summer store price is too dear, there price is crazy etc etc

We have meal , fertlizer, contractor and other bills neither can we.

I agree if they pull again. On the gates we go. No justification for a price pull just pure greed and bullying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

One thing they could do is bring the competition authority before an oireachtas committee for investigation.

Public service investigating public service ?????????

What do you think.

Inland Revenue were in investigating the small business tent on SUnday Morning in tullamore show, shower of ffffff.ers

There's nothing they wouldn't stoop to

Public service are no friend of the self employed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

kk.man wrote: »
    Larry and co have built empires out of the meat business since he left school and fair play to him and the rest. This is the business they eat, drink and sleep. Blood sweat and tears went into the great multinationals that they are. No other business will or could give those people as much satisfaction as the ones which made them what they are. They have diversified yes but none of the diversification is as profitable as their meat businesses. They aquired these ventures like any good business to have 'eggs in different baskets' in case things go south.

Let me tell you, it did hurt, farmers were gaining such momention last week it scared them for the first time in many a year. How long have you been hearing about cold stores packed? Yet the McD contract with Dawn was looking under pressure. Burgers are made from the cheapest and most plentiful meat on an animal. The spin was and is unreal and exposed. They do care.

They were on the rack and shouldn't be allowed forget it.

well said

wrangler wrote: »
    Public service investigating public service ?????????

What do you think.

Inland Revenue were in investigating the small business tent on SUnday Morning in tullamore show, shower of ffffff.ers

There's nothing they wouldn't stoop to

Public service are no friend of the self employed

I'm telling you politicians have clought when they want to something. It's at there offices and homes that would hurt them. Did you see the pensioners when there was a cut in 09. The water protests. They wouldn't be long bringing in revenue or having dail committee s if they were afraid to be seen in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

Firstly, sorry for the long post!
    Been hearing a lot from MII and Competition Authority in the last few days that prices can't be discussed between the different farm organisations and MII or the processors in any protests or meetings.

It just seems absurd that the share, we as farmers, get (and I can only speak as a finisher) for our finished animal is around 21% of the retail price, down from over 39% in 1995 (and the same in 1983 from the figures I can find). This is taken from 'Food Prices in Ireland Report for the Consumer Liaison Panel' (year is 2006 I believe): "In the case of beef, the share of the retail price received by farmers has declined from just over 39 percent in the 12 months to December 1995 to just 32 percent in the 12 months ending December 2004."

Obviously, this isn't going to be handed back to us on a plate but hopefully it is something that can be addressed with the new 'Unfair Trading Practices Directive' adopted by the EU in March this year if any organisation chooses to contest the current disparity. (Ireland has 24 months to implement the directive into Irish Law).

Lastly, can anyone on here with a lot more knowledge than me shed any light or thoughts on this 'fifth quarter' issue?

I've read a few articles over the last year or so about exports of over €230million from beef offal and fifth quarter and I would have thought that it is established that farmer doesn't see any return on this.

UK figures say that offal sold for over £1200 per tonne in 2013 and Irish figures vary from €135 - €200 per animal. A rough calculation at €135 for an average carcass size of 300Kg is €0.45 per kg (even getting 25-30% of that would be €0.11 - €0.14 per kg)… Am I missing something here or what is going on? Confused face...

Also, just wanted to say it is nice to see IFA, Beefplan, ICSA, etc. coming together for talks. There's enough of fire coming at us from all angles from across the water to Larry in Brazil and the latest anti-meat brigade.. Time to keep politics out of it (wishful thinking)

On the offal, just look who owns the renderers around the country. I heard stories from an accountant about how the renderers would sit down once a year and go through their volume together and there was various transfers between them to make sure each was getting their true profit share. It is a cartel no different than processing. I also saw Larry himself on a trade trip to China many years ago and they were pushing hard for offal sales at the time. The offal was being routed through Brazil of all places. Don't know if anything has changed and cant see us getting a breakdown per animal from the factory which we should be getting....nothing like a bit of transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

On the offal, just look who owns the renderers around the country. I heard stories from an accountant about how the renderers would sit down once a year and go through their volume together and there was various transfers between them to make sure each was getting their true profit share. It is a cartel no different than processing. I also saw Larry himself on a trade trip to China many years ago and they were pushing hard for offal sales at the time. The offal was being routed through Brazil of all places. Don't know if anything has changed and cant see us getting a breakdown per animal from the factory which we should be getting....nothing like a bit of transparency.
    transparency,processors and Government are 3 words that should never be used in the same sentence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

3.55 base for heifers next week
    3.10 for R grade cull cows

Sh1te money but I have to get something away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Grueller wrote: »
    3.55 base for heifers next week
    3.10 for R grade cull cows

Sh1te money but I have to get something away.
    u answered my question have a cow that hurt her back , was wondering what they were

First off the rendering plants deal with SRM not offal. The offal is sld by each processor. The independent's may sell it onto the big three.Trying to get paid seperate for offal isnot an option as it qould have a prorata value to the carcass. What we need is a minimum base price just like there is a minimum wage

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

First off the rendering plants deal with SRM not offal. The offal is sld by each processor. The independent's may sell it onto the big three.Trying to get paid seperate for offal isnot an option as it qould have a prorata value to the carcass. What we need is a minimum base price just like there is a minimum wage

Absolutely agree. Cost of production plus a small margin. More efficient operations then can increase their profit but it does not cover the deficiencies of messers and rooters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

And no factory is a little more efficient? A little more edge and a fraction hungrier for supply? The quote are alway in perfect equilibrium unless you deal with a small or medium set up and are prepared to wait anything week to a month for your money. There’s a fairly strong indicator of a cartel. I know a week before a drop in Price it’s coming and I’m a gombeen living between the rushes and sallies in the macamores. They drop 5 cent a week due to currency,sterling, market, brexit, the bogeyman under the bed, but an improvement in market, currency, brexit news and a ghostbusters remake and the rise comes back at a 5 rise every 3 weeks.
    The excellent crystal clear phone line that tells me about the drops is distant and crackly and likely to lose connect before I’m told what day the rise is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 turfin

What we need is a minimum base price just like there is a minimum wage

We need that like we need a hole in the head. I think it's bizarre that farmers could be sucked into the notion that government intervention in pricing is going to work for us long term. A big part of the reason we are in this mess is government intervention. Without subsidies people would stop producing, do something else and prices would rise. Instead what we have now is the crazy situation of prices falling for years and no let up in production.

If government were to help, IMO it should be to help ensure a proper free market. The things that needs to be sorted are price fixing between processors and collusion with retailers to limit prices paid to the farmers, and the removal of artificial, contrived market manipulation tactics such as age limits etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

turfin wrote: »
    We need that like we need a hole in the head. I think it's bizarre that farmers could be sucked into the notion that government intervention in pricing is going to work for us long term. A big part of the reason we are in this mess is government intervention. Without subsidies people would stop producing, do something else and prices would rise. Instead what we have now is the crazy situation of prices falling for years and no let up in production.

If government were to help, IMO it should be to help ensure a proper free market. The things that needs to be sorted are price fixing between processors and collusion with retailers to limit prices paid to the farmers, and the removal of artificial, contrived market manipulation tactics such as age limits etc.

A proper free market.

Something that will never exist in reality though.

Danzy wrote: »
    A proper free market.

Something that will never exist in reality though.

People on here are arguing for the opposite though. If we were to cheer along the government setting prices we've basically given up ownership of our assets. The next step by a progressive government would be maximum prices, and the lower the better would suit the masses looking for something for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Simple solution is export.export,export but when a shipper arrives in any mart ,the boys around the ring will sauce him every way .Even if a shipper was to bid on a jersey calf 2 weeks old in a mart ,Someone is almost guaranteed to bid against him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Is there a cut over 30 months or do you just lose bonus

People on here are arguing for the opposite though. If we were to cheer along the government setting prices we've basically given up ownership of our assets. The next step by a progressive government would be maximum prices, and the lower the better would suit the masses looking for something for nothing.

I think if you read my posts I never said anything about Government setting a minimum beef price. The markets is skewed. Pat McDonagh spoke about it in the Indo today. He spoke about more competition. This is not going to happen in the short term. Farmers are unable to negotiate price. Therefore the only solution is the next time we go on strike( and it when not if)we should protest at factories until each individual factory gives us a minimum base price. IMO we should look for a minimum base price of 3.9/kg. Then every time a factory drops even a cent/kg below it we again protest at that factory.

Slava Ukrainii

I think if you read my posts I never said anything about Government setting a minimum beef price. The markets is skewed. Pat McDonagh spoke about it in the Indo today. He spoke about more competition. This is not going to happen in the short term. Farmers are unable to negotiate price. Therefore the only solution is the next time we go on strike( and it when not if)we should protest at factories until each individual factory gives us a minimum base price. IMO we should look for a minimum base price of 3.9/kg. Then every time a factory drops even a cent/kg below it we again protest at that factory.

That makes more sense! When you said we needed a minimum base price "like the minimum wage" the implication was that it would be enforced by the government as that's what the minimum wage is. I was worried there, I thought this board had gone full on red!

Not a chance in hell of anything like a fixed price ever happening.

The recent price drop brought us to a level not seen for 5+ years; suddenly you and others are up in arms demanding this, that and the other as if this drop was to be a permanent fixture. Who knows what will happen?

As the Journal had it this week: the factories will keep their margin come what may - it doesn't matter to the farmer from which direction the price comes. For example if the bull price was cut to €2.50 a kilo to finance an increase in the base to €4 that only transfers money from one farmer to another. The same for age limits, over weights, movements,minimum prices or anything else. Bandon last Autumn stopped taking over 30 month stock 'for the foreseeable future'.

Farmers best interests are served by judging as best they can what's in front of them from the market and adjusting their systems as best they can to those realities.

In other words what they are all doing anyway!

(As bad as beef may be, I would not advise anybody in it to switch to forestry)

Are they protesting tomorrow
    Ment to have cattle going just wondering
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Are they protesting tomorrow
    Ment to have cattle going just wondering
    Thanks

Dont think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone know which factories have the codes F370 and WH7 ??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement