Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Sami23 wrote: »
    What's the average price for bulls (stock bull 26mths) in the factories at the moment.
    Also is Roscrea the best place to go

Usually is the best. 2:60kg for a u last time I enquired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The Bord Bia beef price tracker is now live. I only just saw it go live so haven't had a look through it yet. Here is the link:
    https://www.bordbia.ie/farmers-growers/farmers/prices-markets/beef-market-tracking/?fbclid=IwAR1JiiDsyC1q1G83BhX96biRpX3vyzrF7oCZhbU4kPAnG_MGj60vsn7nzQ8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Base price wrote: »
    The Bord Bia beef price tracker is now live. I only just saw it go live so haven't had a look through it yet. Here is the link:
    https://www.bordbia.ie/farmers-growers/farmers/prices-markets/beef-market-tracking/?fbclid=IwAR1JiiDsyC1q1G83BhX96biRpX3vyzrF7oCZhbU4kPAnG_MGj60vsn7nzQ8
    Its a very welcome initiative and tool to make arguments for unfairness in the industry. I believe it allows for the fifth quarter price too.

kk.man wrote: »
    Its a very welcome initiative and tool to make arguments for unfairness in the industry. I believe it allows for the fifth quarter price too.
    There are no published prices for offal or hides from Ireland or the EU so they are using US data. 2019 prices per kg - hide .08, red offal .10, white offal .10 = .28c/kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Irish price is actually above the European price at the time of the protest according to the graphs,
    It'll give reality check on the value of offal, I doubt that the offal pays the processing costs for the last few year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

wrangler wrote: »
    Irish price is actually above the European price at the time of the protest according to the graphs,
    It'll give reality check on the value of offal, I doubt that the offal pays the processing costs for the last few year.
    I have reservations about these figures, for instance it was a known for a fact the average hide was achieving 80euro per avg carcass some time back. They now have fallen back substantially. Would a hide weigh 100kgs?

I have reservations about these figures, for instance it was a known for a fact the average hide was achieving 80euro per avg carcass some time back. They now have fallen back substantially. Would a hide weigh 100kgs?

I see all that as a waste of time, they're a private business, they won't be coerced no matter what people think they know

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What's the average price for bulls (stock bull 26mths) in the factories at the moment.
    Also is Roscrea the best place to go

They'd like a bit of fat cover on him though, 2+ at least.

Anyone heard anything about a lift in prices for next week? With sterling at 85p vs the 91p it was in August I reckon that is roughly 22 cent per kg on UK marketed beef anyway.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I thought people would all be on here championing the new price tool and supporting the IFA in pointing out the €5m weekly loss to Irish farmers.?

• Advertisement

Beef plan on local radio Wednesday night said we've turned the corner..... Thank god for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Beef plan on local radio Wednesday night said we've turned the corner..... Thank god for that.

No thanks to beef plan for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

DukeCaboom wrote: »

He must be getting more than the €3.40 a kg the rest of us are getting for bulls.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    He must be getting more than the €3.40 a kg the rest of us are getting for bulls.

330 for r bulls in our town.

Water John wrote: »
    I thought people would all be on here championing the new price tool and supporting the IFA in pointing out the €5m weekly loss to Irish farmers.?
    From memory and stand corrected if I'm wrong but the Beef Plan Movement/Independent Farmers of Ireland Group wanted it, especially price reporting for the 5th quarter.

I note that they - Beef Plan Movement/Independent Farmers of Ireland Group - have been very quiet about the fact that there are no Irish or EU prices available for the 5th quarter. I wonder what are they are going to do about it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

boggerman1 wrote: »
    No thanks to beef plan for that

What is meant by turning the corner? No increase in price. Impossible to get over 30 month killed . Overage thanks to Beef Plan blocking factories

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »

And its she.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

From memory and stand corrected if I'm wrong but the Beef Plan Movement/Independent Farmers of Ireland Group wanted it, especially price reporting for the 5th quarter.

I note that they - Beef Plan Movement/Independent Farmers of Ireland Group - have been very quiet about the fact that there are no Irish or EU prices available for the 5th quarter. I wonder what are they are going to do about it.....

they have gone quiet on everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

gerryirl wrote: »
    they have gone quiet on everything

They probably right to have, going by the criticism they've received from numerous people,
    Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    They probably right to have, going by the criticism they've received from numerous people,
    Damned if you do and Damned if you don't.

They thought that you just write a list of requests and hand it into the government.
    They might respect what is delivered for them now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Politics truely is a dirty business. There are people who will complain that nothing is being done........and then complain when they do it. The proverbial 'Hurlers on the ditch'.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Politics truely is a dirty business. There are people who will complain that nothing is being done........and then complain when they do it. The proverbial 'Hurlers on the ditch'.

Doing what?

Karl deeter done a very good interview about just that on Éamon dumphys podcast last year. Everything is a crisis.

A good bit of work being done on the ground around POs. Meeting in Dunmanway Cork during the week. About 300 at it. Was unable to make it myself.

A good bit of work being done on the ground around POs. Meeting in Dunmanway Cork during the week. About 300 at it. Was unable to make it myself.

What their definition of work been done on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

They thought that you just write a list of requests and hand it into the government.
    They might respect what is delivered for them now

Amazing how quickly one can lose respect for a poster who has seemingly no self awareness or critical thinking ability.

Spewing the same ****e 24/7 like a coked up parrot.

Yeah we get it the protests did cause disruption. Some people have cattle that went overage. Some had trouble getting cattle into the factory.

The backlog is gone, not helped by the importing of NI beef during the protest by scabs, not that I'm insinuating you are one(?).

You can see from the price index Irish beef is still well below the UK.

If we didn't have the protest we would be looking at a much lower price, so if all it did was hold it at 3.40 it would be something.

Whereas in reality it did a lot more. It forced the Beef Processors to the negotiating table, put the issue front and centre of the media for weeks.

Finally and most importantly, it has sent a clear message that farmers will bring the meat industry to a standstill if anything close to this happens again. It will be in the coming years the advantages will come to fruition. In many ways the fact it wasn't the actual finishers leading the charge (so we hear) adds a grenade to the mix as these lads are only iching to get out there again for a bonfire and a chat, so this strengthens the farmers position even more as it creats a buffer between the finishers and processors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

riemann wrote: »
    Amazing how quickly one can lose respect for a poster who has seemingly no self awareness or critical thinking ability.

Yeah we get it the protests did cause disruption. Some people have cattle that went overage. Some had trouble getting cattle into the factory.

The backlog is gone, not helped by the importing of NI beef during the protest by scabs, not that I'm insinuating you are one(?).

If we didn't have the protest we would be looking at a much lower price, so if all it did was hold it at 3.40 it would be something.

Whereas in reality it did a lot more. It forced the Beef Processors to the negotiating table, put the issue front and centre of the media for weeks.

Finally and most importantly, it has sent a clear message that farmers will bring the meat industry to a standstill if anything close to this happens again. It will be in the coming years the advantages will come to fruition. In many ways the fact it wasn't the actual finishers leading the charge (so we hear) adds a grenade to the mix as these lads are only iching to get out there again for a bonfire and a chat, so this strengthens the farmers position even more as it creats a buffer between the finishers and processors.

Maybe. But Going by the backlog, and the many farmers who said they were going to go through the blockades regardless, the factory can bring us to a standstill just as easily as we can them.

And in the next few years the US beef is due to land, so that 'fruition' may be useless.

Don't kid yourself, we had the beef forum for years that achieved exactly the same as the so called task force .......nothing.
    Farmers position was never as weak processors are playing them like a flute at the moment. they haven't even moved the price.
    It's actual finishers that are worried not processors, they'll leave you out at the barrels for six weeks again for practise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Don't kid yourself, we had the beef forum for years that achieved exactly the same as the so called task force .......nothing.
    Farmers position was never as weak processors are playing them like a flute at the moment. they haven't even moved the price.
    It's actual finishers that are worried not processors, they'll leave you out at the barrels for six weeks again for practise

Replace Beef forum with IFA
    <snip>

Mod note: We really, really, really aren't going down this road!

Buford T. Justice

If you think the backlog is gone you must not be following the situation. It's far from gone I can assure you .Still have overage here and can't them away. There is no proof that without the protest the price would be lower. After the present disaster I doubt that farmers will bring the meat industry to a standstill in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

MIKEKC wrote: »
    If you think the backlog is gone you must not be following the situation. It's far from gone I can assure you .Still have overage here and can't them away. There is no proof that without the protest the price would be lower. After the present disaster I doubt that farmers will bring the meat industry to a standstill in the near future.

I can guarantee you they will and much further next time.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    Let the customers go elsewhere , build up another backlog of overage cattle. If the customers fail to return what will be done with all the beef ?.Sell it for less money to attract back customers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Let the customers go elsewhere , build up another backlog of overage cattle. If the customers fail to return what will be done with all the beef ?.Sell it for less money to attract back customers ?

Say, well beef in Ireland is dead, close your factories Larry and relocate them.

For right or wrong that's how it is.

Factories know it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Jjameson wrote: »
    The backlog issue is a risk due to the strength of the cartel and no live export. Unfortunately They are going to wind up processing the cattle hell or high water.
    But customers don’t show loyalty to anything bar price and profit, and if the price is right they will return. But will we farmers gain anything really meaningful?
    Precedence suggests not. But there is no doubt there will be blockades again right or wrong.
    Say, well beef in Ireland is dead, close your factories Larry and relocate them.

For right or wrong that's how it is.

Factories know it too.

Most forget the time line of the last protest. It began in mid July. It too nearly 3 weeks to build pressure on processors, Government and other organisations who all taught it would fizzle out.
    You then had the phoney negotiations where the protests stopped on a Thursday, meetings did not start until Monday 2pm for photo opportunities and then Bord Bia gave a presentation.....I ask you. Then we had negotiations stretching into a week with a wish washy document that ment nothing and farmers saw through it when processors tried to start to drop prices when the negotiations ended from 3.45 -3.4/kg
    Protest restarted and it took over two weeks before processors and government realized that this time protestors would not leave gates before negotiations started again. These too nearly a week to hammer out and it was the start of the next week before processing started again. It was a eight week protest.

What would be different the next time. From the start everybody will know that farmers mean business. Processors will know that they could lose there business as well . They will know that at some stage they will have to negotiate and that farmers will continue as long as possible. Farmers will close down factories faster and more completely. I also think factory management and staff will be less quick to antagonize farmers with stupid statements. Hauliers will be less willing to cross pickets as will lads for the extra 20c/kg.

As well other will know farmers resolve and phoney negotiations will not happen. Instead of a 7-8 week dragged out protest it will be a 2-3 week affair. Farmers will not leave pickets next time until it is resolved that was the mistake last time. Factories will be closed down from the very start and truck loads of mince and other packaged meat will be trapped inside straight away.

Everybody forgets that processors have everything to lose as well. Its is all very well to say they will move there operations elsewhere. However nature aborr's a vacuum. Neither can they afford to leave what is the sixth largest beef exporting country sitting in the middle of the largest richest market in the world.

Slava Ukrainii

Most forget the time line of the last protest. It began in mid July. It too nearly 3 weeks to build pressure on processors, Government and other organisations who all taught it would fizzle out.
    You then had the phoney negotiations where the protests stopped on a Thursday, meetings did not start until Monday 2pm for photo opportunities and then Bord Bia gave a presentation.....I ask you. Then we had negotiations stretching into a week with a wish washy document that ment nothing and farmers saw through it when processors tried to start to drop prices when the negotiations ended from 3.45 -3.4/kg
    Protest restarted and it took over two weeks before processors and government realized that this time protestors would not leave gates before negotiations started again. These too nearly a week to hammer out and it was the start of the next week before processing started again. It was a eight week protest.

What would be different the next time. From the start everybody will know that farmers mean business. Processors will know that they could lose there business as well . They will know that at some stage they will have to negotiate and that farmers will continue as long as possible. Farmers will close down factories faster and more completely. I also think factory management and staff will be less quick to antagonize farmers with stupid statements. Hauliers will be less willing to cross pickets as will lads for the extra 20c/kg.

As well other will know farmers resolve and phoney negotiations will not happen. Instead of a 7-8 week dragged out protest it will be a 2-3 week affair. Farmers will not leave pickets next time until it is resolved that was the mistake last time. Factories will be closed down from the very start and truck loads of mince and other packaged meat will be trapped inside straight away.

Everybody forgets that processors have everything to lose as well. Its is all very well to say they will move there operations elsewhere. However nature aborr's a vacuum. Neither can they afford to leave what is the sixth largest beef exporting country sitting in the middle of the largest richest market in the world.

Don't kid yourself, processor wouldn't be doing what they doing if they thought any of the above was going to happen.
    Unlike farmers they won't be interested in anything that can't make a margin.Their resilience was proof of that.

Listening to the Chairman of the House of Commons subcommittee on Beef yesterday, Countryfile BBC 1. He stated clearly the retailer was taking a too a high a margin and that there was room for less of a take by the processor too, to the detriment of the producer.

He hopes to finalise their inquiry in the new Parliament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Listening to the Chairman of the House of Commons subcommittee on Beef yesterday, Countryfile BBC 1. He stated clearly the retailer was taking a too a high a margin and that there was room for less of a take by the processor too, to the detriment of the producer.

He hopes to finalise their inquiry in the new Parliament.

Wrong country tho unfortunately

We are closely tied to the UK market. About 50% of our beef TMK goes there.
    Sadly we have to rely on figures produced there but we can extrapolate them accurately to our situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Mods there is a number of threads already on here where much of above can be argued.

can we have our beef price tracker back for that alone.

OH got a call from a factory looking for dairy bulls for the Chinese market. We don't have any to suit at the moment. They are offering €3.20/O's and €3.10/P's which isn't enough considering finishing meal is c. €225/ton (min of 5 ton) delivered from our supplier for a maize/barley/oat/vit+min mix. From memory the factory quotes are the same as this time last year and unless they (factories) substantially increase their quotes then I think the Vet will be called to band cattle. We know a few farmers that rear dairy bull calves but most got them squeezed during the Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭johnnyw20

OH got a call from a factory looking for dairy bulls for the Chinese market. We don't have any to suit at the moment. They are offering €3.20/O's and €3.10/P's which isn't enough considering finishing meal is c. €225/ton (min of 5 ton) delivered from our supplier for a maize/barley/oat/vit+min mix. From memory the factory quotes are the same as this time last year and unless they (factories) substantially increase their quotes then I think the Vet will be called to band cattle. We know a few farmers that rear dairy bull calves but most got them squeezed during the Summer.
    What part of the country is this ? I’ve 5 dairy bulls 20 months fit to go and keep getting told by agent That they are not killing bulls because they can’t kill the bulls the same days they are killing for China

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

Friend told me on Tuesday 150 bull's ready he kills fair few, factory won't even answer his phone calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

last week had an agent from the local factory (3 miles away) out here early looking at aa bullocks under 30 months quality assured..4 we reckoned are fit to kill..was told there ideal for what they want an all so they were booked in..no word of a kill day so rang the agent today to be told it could be another 2 weeks and there mainly after cattle suitable for China..(which we both agreed these and the rest of the shed of bullocks were ideal for??!)...so with the thought of feeding fit cattle for another 2 weeks i rang another agent for a different plant (well over an hour away)..to be told no problems let me know soon as you want them killed!!...the mind boggles with these factories!

last week had an agent from the local factory (3 miles away) out here early looking at aa bullocks under 30 months quality assured..4 we reckoned are fit to kill..was told there ideal for what they want an all so they were booked in..no word of a kill day so rang the agent today to be told it could be another 2 weeks and there mainly after cattle suitable for China..(which we both agreed these and the rest of the shed of bullocks were ideal for??!)...so with the thought of feeding fit cattle for another 2 weeks i rang another agent for a different plant (well over an hour away)..to be told no problems let me know soon as you want them killed!!...the mind boggles with these factories!

Depends on their supply I suppose, you must be happy to get them going,
    IFA tell us there's only 18kgs of every beast killed going to china so they have to kill a lot of cattle to get a fridge full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

Depends on their supply I suppose, you must be happy to get them going,
    IFA tell us there's only 18kgs of every beast killed going to china so they have to kill a lot of cattle to get a fridge full

Why only 18 kgs

Why only 18 kgs

Just some of the offal, that's what we were told last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

The are taking forequarter cuts also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

with the deficit in pork in china and due to get worse with asf they will soon be glad of any beef they can get,looking like the uk now expecting it to arrive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Was talking to a friend last night who sold HRx bullocks that graded O. Some as low as 3.29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Was talking to a friend last night who sold HRx bullocks that graded O. Some as low as 3.29.

Either O- or over 30 month bullocks. I killed a O+ over 30month last week his price was 3-33/kg.neither did this bullock grade last few over 30month cattle graded at least a grade below what they should have

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭jaymla627

with the deficit in pork in china and due to get worse with asf they will soon be glad of any beef they can get,looking like the uk now expecting it to arrive too.

I'm just waiting to see what gems bord bia come out with regarding Brazilian beef tracking Irish price quality assured my hole, looks like Larry wont even pay world price now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement