Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Jjjack77 wrote: »
    Killed them where I always kill my cattle for 3.70 r grade and 3.80 u grade, awful lot better than the 3.30 and 3.40 I’m getting now,

O grade bulls were 3-3.3/kg. Lots of lads were only getting 3.5 for R's if i remember right. But then again there was two prices up until the end of the strike.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Do you not realise that if the 30 month rule was abolished, everyone else would do excactly just that. There would be a mad glut of cattle coming off grass at the end of the year and no factory willing to take them. It was like this years ago, but people seem to have poor memories.

Be careful what you wish for. No matter what you do, you will create a knock on effect somewhere else.

As far as I can see that happens now in the current intensive system, in fact the drop in prices starts earlier.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't abolishing the 30 month rule have a lot more advantages than disadvantages...for the primary producer at least

eg: here are some advantages I can think of

1) More beef farmers move to a more extensive system and therefore carry less heads of cattle

thats good for any glut at any time because there couldn't be as much of a glut if there was less cattle overall or am I missing something?

(And although farming is being scapegoated for climate change which is complete bull**** given the contributions of industry/transport etc it also might do beef farmers the benefit of being able to claim less emissions etc - although even doing that might legitimise a false premise)

2) Less numbers overall might reduce the kill and make the heads you do have worth more.

3) Not pushing animals to some artificial time limit means much less input costs......Less of a meal bill, less of a vet bill, less of a fertiliser bill and less of a time cost - the business might actually start to make sense again and be worthwhile as opposed to slavery to produce a commodity at not just the lowest cost possible but at a loss for many.

In fact the more I think about it the more I'm convinced that 30 month limit has got to go...in my mind the only people arguing for it are the indoctrinated and the vested interests that aren't primary producers.... I for one don't think the other parts of the chain should have that lever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

amacca wrote: »

I agree with all that you say above, but let me ask you this - when (what months) would you send your cattle to the factory? And don't you think everyone else would do the same.

Factories want under 30 month cattle because thats what their customers want....and the customer is always right.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I agree with all that you say above, but let me ask you this - when (what months) would you send your cattle to the factory? And don't you think everyone else would do the same.

Factories want under 30 month cattle because thats what their customers want....and the customer is always right.

Is there any difference in quality between 30 months and 31 Months ?? I wouldn't be able to tell.... would anybody ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

What customer has given a genuine reason for under 30 months? It certainly wasn't the customer in the shop.
    The Chinese did because they could.

• Advertisement

I would do my level best not to have them all for off in october and november anyway.

In any bunch I buy there are the the ones that mature quickly and the ones that take longer...I think I should have the option of letting the harder finished ones run longer without them being devalued...thats nature, a 30 month limit is an artificial limit that makes life difficult (and encourages an intensive approach which has many many drawbacks imo as mentioned before)...Id be letting them off as they come fit, that won't happen all at at the same time especially buying mixed bunches and staggering buying in over a time periods like say Feb-Apr.

Do they though?....or have they being sold that limit by the vested interests that know their business would suffer if they weren't squeezing the primary producer....the way I see it profit can't be made unless someone in the chain is losing and somehow farmers have managed to put themselves in last position to get to the trough despite owning the ****ing field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

IFA has backed itself into a corner now. If we do not see a rise in price of 20+c/kg by there actions it will seem as if they were jumping on the band wagon to claim the credit.

What is really coming across now is that BP is starting to be a force and IFA is reacting to there actions. What is frightening for IFA is that it seems unable to activate ordinary members like BP is doing.

Another fact is coming to the fore. We can now see clearly that processors would have continued to drop beef prices from mid July on if BP had not acted. Irish price dropping was pulling the who UK market down. Without BP's actions where would the price have bottomed out 3.2/kg or lower. This would have dragged UK beef prices down to where we are now.

If you look back when the second strike was in place Dutch bull beef rose from 3/kg to 3.4/kg. At present it is at 3.08/kg according to the FJ's international beef prices. Polish beef prices rose at the time as well and are back to 3/kg now as well. If the beef plan protests had not taken place we would be lucky to be hitting 3.5/kg now as processors would have kept a lid on prices just like they are doing now.

Isn't that what I've been telling you for years, what's the point in protests when it's left to the national officers, How many more officers said **** em in 2013 as I did, present protests are the same, it is national officers and staff mainly

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Thinking about the price rise that Larry has announced for this week , it puts kepak and dawn in a position where ABP decide when they have to raise prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

1373 wrote: »
    Thinking about the price rise that Larry has announced for this week , it puts kepak and dawn in a position where ABP decide when they have to raise prices
    It affirms that Larry/ABP controls Irish beef prices.

So it's effectively a cartel, even if it may not rise to the legal definition of one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Water John wrote: »
    So it's effectively a cartel, even if it may not rise to the legal definition of one.

Where's there a Competition Authority when we need one ...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

gozunda wrote: »
    Where's there a Competition Authority when we need one ...

The Competition Authority has already "raised concerns about its ability to implement and enforce this Directive."

Not a good start...

https://amp.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/eu/unfair-trading-practices-directive-formally-adopted-by-the-eu-37904927.html

ppn wrote: »
    The Competition Authority has already "raised concerns about its ability to implement and enforce this Directive."

Not a good start...

https://amp.independent.ie/business/farming/agri-business/eu/unfair-trading-practices-directive-formally-adopted-by-the-eu-37904927.html

They seem to have no problem telling Joe Farmer what to do............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

How much a rise came after. What is base for steers and heifers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Dunedin wrote: »
    How much a rise came after. What is base for steers and heifers.

Not sure about them but u24 month bulls are up 10cent to €3.50 for u grades

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

Anyone have prices for out of spec heavy cattle? Last week was quoted 350 off the grid and today 360....

Anyone have prices for out of spec heavy cattle? Last week was quoted 350 off the grid and today 360....

Killed big bullocks a few weeks ago. Base price was the same as underage price with 10cent cut if they were over a certain weight.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Killed big bullocks a few weeks ago. Base price was the same as underage price with 10cent cut if they were over a certain weight.

What was the weight limit and was it a standard cut regardless of how heavy they were

Dunedin wrote: »
    What was the weight limit and was it a standard cut regardless of how heavy they were

Weight limit was 450ish and cut was 10 cent., over 500kg was 20cent though didn’t have any that heavy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Weight limit was 450ish and cut was 10 cent., over 500kg was 20cent though didn’t have any that heavy.

It's a killer when you have a few 455kg and lose 10c on the lot

• Advertisement

Kepak offering 355 and no cut for heavy cattle this week

off grid

Best ones of the lot for moving the goalposts...bet you there will be a lot of 4+ fat wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Robson99 wrote: »
    Best ones of the lot for moving the goalposts...bet you there will be a lot of 4+ fat wise

Yes used to send most of my cattle to Kepak but this back end my agent ended up getting most of them into Euro Farms. Was far happier with the Euro Farm grades anything that was border line I defiantly got the benefit of the doubt in Euro Farms. Friend of mine killed Hex heifers in Kepak a few weeks back and was very disappointed. His own breeding out of the same bull and cows as the last few years and the grades were all lower than other years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Final few cattle going in the morning. Thank be to whatever God if any ye all believe in!

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Yes used to send most of my cattle to Kepak but this back end my agent ended up getting most of them into Euro Farms. Was far happier with the Euro Farm grades anything that was border line I defiantly got the benefit of the doubt in Euro Farms. Friend of mine killed Hex heifers in Kepak a few weeks back and was very disappointed. His own breeding out of the same bull and cows as the last few years and the grades were all lower than other years.

yes I killed in different factory with the last few too .. graded serious all U's and they were the worst of what was left.. you would wonder

Is that a flat price with no bonuses

This is being discussed on a dairy forum, thought I'd bring it here rather than pull off subject.
    Mark Goodman flagged it awhile ago to much derision by the splinter groups
    It's confirmed in Twitter now
    '' Reports of Chinese buyers reneging on contracts on beef and other imported proteins have emerged this week as imported meat prices in the country plummet''

The cheap forequarters are flying but processors have to take a bad price for rear quarters to get rid

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SimmentalT

Ashbourne offering €3.55 for heifers

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    This is being discussed on a dairy forum, thought I'd bring it here rather than pull off subject.
    Mark Goodman flagged it awhile ago to much derision by the splinter groups
    It's confirmed in Twitter now
    '' Reports of Chinese buyers reneging on contracts on beef and other imported proteins have emerged this week as imported meat prices in the country plummet''

The cheap forequarters are flying but processors have to take a bad price for rear quarters to get rid

Edmund Graham of the ICSA has called.out Mark Goodman on his statement. He made the point that if Brazilian beef is now making nearly the same asIrish beef then processor's have questions to answer.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/farmer-concern-mounts-following-chinese-market-warning/
    He goes to far as to say it is time for farmers to stop rearing calves.in 2020 if processor's cannot achieve a decent price for beef at present

Its.not just the splinter groups. If processor cannot achieve a base price above 4/kg along with the new bonus structure store and calf men need to shut up shop and tell the rest of the industry to cop on

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm inclined to agree Bass, but I reckon beef price will miraculously lift next Feb when all the dairy calves hit the ground.

The Mercusor deal hasn't gone away either, so if we simply stop producing beef here, it will be imported from 3rd countries or wherever it is produced cheaply. Most consumers don't give a fcuk about quality or taste or whether it's 30 days aged angus or not, it's just the price they look at.

China wanted u30 mth beef but they didn't want QA, which means to me that they were buying at a price. None of us know what price or credit terms Brazilian beef goes to China at. We don't even know what Irish processors are getting for beef going to China either.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

The price of beef is inelastic. If the price drops, the consumer doesn't buy more. The price isn't the critical factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

does that mean they have to give 4 months notice now to change it....lol

gerryirl wrote: »
    does that mean they have to give 4 months notice now to change it....lol

You wouldn't get 4 days notice let alone 4 months

3.55 flat no bonus. at least they are gone. No stock now. To buy or not to buy that is the question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

3.55 flat no bonus. at least they are gone. No stock now. To buy or not to buy that is the question?

Buy, they wont be any cheaper imo.

I always try to buy previous to selling especially if the market is down low, I usually find that this is the most profiatble way to manage the market. Shifed a few cattle this week. They were inside since ,id September. They were all under 30 months. Excellent weights they were on 5ish kgs and wholecrop bales of barley silage. But from the look of the lairages cattle numbers have droppedand processors will struggle with numbers after Christmass for a few weeks

Slava Ukrainii

Any quotes for the coming week?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Two agents rang me yesterday, one saying numbers are tighter than a month ago . The other lad trying to talk things down. No prices given but to have guys inquiring is a big improvement . A local farmer/meal merchant tells me his finishing ration is back 100ton per week which is a positive for the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

On the phone to agent last night.
    3.60 base for steers with no weight restriction on offer in Kilbeggan.
    Have 3 going overage next week so will move those and a few others.
    Killing tomorrow.

• Advertisement

dryan wrote: »
    On the phone to agent last night.
    3.60 base for steers with no weight restriction on offer in Kilbeggan.
    Have 3 going overage next week so will move those and a few others.
    Killing tomorrow.

It’s far from where we want to be but at least it’s moving. Plenty of stories of agents ringing lads hopefully it’ll lead to something.

1373 wrote: »
    Two agents rang me yesterday, one saying numbers are tighter than a month ago . The other lad trying to talk things down. No prices given but to have guys inquiring is a big improvement . A local farmer/meal merchant tells me his finishing ration is back 100ton per week which is a positive for the rest of us

Yeah last winter the meal wouldn’t be delivered here for a day or two. This winter it comes the same day.

It’s far from where we want to be but at least it’s moving. Plenty of stories of agents ringing lads hopefully it’ll lead to something.

Low prices curing low prices ......... eventually.
    It'd happen quicker but for the subsidies,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Agent told me on Tuesday liffey meats bjd were €3.60 base for heifers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

3.60 underage steers 3.55 overage. I’m holding for another week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone know of quotes for R grade cows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Any quotes for the week ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Any lift in cull cow prices?

Heard 3.50 is going for r grade bulls. Up 20cent from a month or 6 weeks ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

Any quotes for the week ahead

3.60 underage bks and hfrs midlands

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement