Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

3.60 in spec steers..agent out this evening cattle booked to be kill Thursday morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Tileman

3.60 in spec steers..agent out this evening cattle booked to be kill Thursday morning

Surprise surprise prices are up slightly just before the beef forum meeting next week. So the processors and retailers can say nothing to see here we have raised prices over the past few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Tileman wrote: »
    Surprise surprise prices are up slightly just before the beef forum meeting next week. So the processors and retailers can say nothing to see here we have raised prices over the past few weeks

Ara. They are still dog sh1t prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

They really are taking the urine! They just letting farmers know who the boss is. Goodman down playing market, no doubt if prices world wide fall again.... Ireland will lead the fall also. Its any excuse really. They even have the 15% gain in fx.... They just always want win and to me personally only way to minimise losses is do what's best for me not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

Any prices for inspec heifers for next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

grange mac wrote: »
    They really are taking the urine! They just letting farmers know who the boss is. Goodman down playing market, no doubt if prices world wide fall again.... Ireland will lead the fall also. Its any excuse really. They even have the 15% gain in fx.... They just always want win and to me personally only way to minimise losses is do what's best for me not him.

I think the results of the Task Force yesterday spoke volumes.
    Tesco; 30 month beef but 30 days residency.
    The rest; 30 months not a real issue and zero residency.

Factories have made the rules themselves while stating Supermarkets insist on these specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    I think the results of the Task Force yesterday spoke volumes.
    Tesco; 30 month beef but 30 days residency.
    The rest; 30 months not a real issue and zero residency.

Factories have made the rules themselves while stating Supermarkets insist on these specs.

Were they asked yesterday why the had those specs.
    Did they change the specs then yesterday, I'd be surprised if they did

wrangler wrote: »
    Were they asked yesterday why the had those specs.
    Did they change the specs then yesterday, I'd be surprised if they did

I think they may have been asked but there is no change I'd say Bord Bia would have to agree or change their rule book for QA Status. It is certain that the Supermarkets are not rigorous as what was portrayed.

I think they may have been asked but there is no change I'd say Bord Bia would have to agree or change their rule book for QA Status. It is certain that the Supermarkets are not rigorous as what was portrayed.

Age, movements,etc are outside the control of bord bia, all they're certifying is that your farm is an acceptable standard.

''While your farm may indeed be Quality Assured, this does NOT necessarily mean all your cattle sent for slaughter will receive a Quality Payment Bonus, as this payment is dependent on other factors, outside of Bord Bia’s control. It is the responsibility of the farmer to check! It is absolutely vital that you check out your particular situation BEFORE sending your cattle to the factory. Check with your factory buyer, what the exact criteria are, in order that your cattle receive a Quality Payment Bonus, i.e. Age, Number of Movements, Days Residency, Grade, Weight, etc.''

This alone highlights the lies that Beef Plan are spewing

No need to change the Bord Bia rule book

• Advertisement

Age, movements,etc are outside the control of bord bia, all they're certifying is that your farm is an acceptable standard.

''While your farm may indeed be Quality Assured, this does NOT necessarily mean all your cattle sent for slaughter will receive a Quality Payment Bonus, as this payment is dependent on other factors, outside of Bord Bia’s control. It is the responsibility of the farmer to check! It is absolutely vital that you check out your particular situation BEFORE sending your cattle to the factory. Check with your factory buyer, what the exact criteria are, in order that your cattle receive a Quality Payment Bonus, i.e. Age, Number of Movements, Days Residency, Grade, Weight, etc.''

This alone highlights the lies that Beef Plan are spewing

But every factory adhere strictly to 30 months 4 movements and 70 days. The Supermarkets are not singing off the same hymn sheet.

But every factory adhere strictly to 30 months 4 movements and 70 days. The Supermarkets are not singing off the same hymn sheet.

But nothing to do with Bord Bia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭QA1

But nothing to do with Bord Bia

Bord bia brought in 70 days rule

QA1 wrote: »
    Bord bia brought in 70 days rule

Doesn't have to be on the same farm for 70 days I think, just 70 days on QA farms which is fair enough

Jjameson wrote: »
    They didn’t. But regardless unless there’s an arrangement in place where the the seller of live cattle signs a declaration of treatment of anthelminthics or antibiotics how else can cattle be slaughtered in confidence.

10 to 15 years ago before being QA matters bord bia would not approve your farm if too high a % of your herd was not on your farm for 70 days FACT!!!
    So in my eyes bord bia brought in and were policing 70 days
    Rule not in place anymore
    Imizol for redwater is over 200 days withdrawal if I buy animal Thursday no law stopping me factoring him today where you’re drugs now that not killing for withdrawal does not stand up
    Factory like government promise you everything and put in as many stipulations as possible to give as little as possible Larry goes on media before Christmas to announce 5 cents more for bullocks no rise for heifers
    5 CENTS 20 Euro’s a head at most 50 great cattle and your up 1000

I am joe and I am a alcoholic

10 to 15 years ago before being QA matters bord bia would not approve your farm if too high a % of your herd was not on your farm for 70 days FACT!!!

If the animal isn't on your farm for as long as the maximum withdrawal period, you cannot guarantee that the meat is clean, so you cannot assure the quality....... Why call it quality assured then
    We were QA since long before Bord Bia took it on and have never found it onerous. don't care whether it's worth it or not, it keep the records right for cross compliance

• Advertisement

Imizol for redwater is over 200 days withdrawal if I buy animal Thursday no law stopping me factoring him today where you’re drugs now that not killing for withdrawal does not stand up
    Factory like government promise you everything and put in as many stipulations as possible to give as little as possible Larry goes on media before Christmas to announce 5 cents more for bullocks no rise for heifers
    5 CENTS 20 Euro’s a head at most 50 great cattle and your up 1000

I am joe and I am a alcoholic

Do you not think that meat is being tested, you do not want to be caught with anything in the meat.

Do you not think that meat is being tested, you do not want to be caught with anything in the meat.

In QA from start here too no trouble with it
    Someone said 70 days was for withdrawal there is withdrawal longer than 70 days just my point
    I obey all withdrawal nothing to be caught with but if animals treated with imizol over 200 days withdrawal long time
    And again for IFA man all withdrawal obey here
    No problems with 70days 4 owners 30 months
    How many cattle have 4 shifts when calf is born aim should be to be fat before 30 moths not many prime cattle sold in marts now so 70 days not that important anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

Talking to my agent and he tells me numbers have tightened massively with cattle being booked in and killed immediately. He also was of the opinion that the 5cent rise has kept many guys happy enough unfortunately and judging by the mart prices lately l don’t think he’s too far off the mark . Even the beef price tracker here died a death after that rise for a while . I’m not trying to start an argument but I do think he’s right about it taking very little to keep many of us quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Bulls are up 15cent per kg since mid November and they have become less inclined to cut on the weights which leaves the lads over 450kg 25cent better off. This is at least €115 a head more than two months ago on a good continental bull.
    Still far from happy and won’t be till we are above €4 which won’t happen for a long time.
    An agent told me during the week that he was told to leave cattle behind him if the farmers wouldn’t deal. He reckoned they mightn’t rise much more or too quickly.
    Then again he was an agent and knows I’ve cattle to move in a couple of weeks.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Bulls are up 15cent per kg since mid November and they have become less inclined to cut on the weights which leaves the lads over 450kg 25cent better off. This is at least €115 a head more than two months ago on a good continental bull.
    Still far from happy and won’t be till we are above €4 which won’t happen for a long time.
    An agent told me during the week that he was told to leave cattle behind him if the farmers wouldn’t deal. He reckoned they mightn’t rise much more or too quickly.
    They have orders that need to be filled so they can’t leave them all behind . If the meal merchant is to be believed then they’re are way less cattle been finished at the moment, so hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

I wouldn't believe a word of what that agent said. A farmer i know rang an agent about a price for cows, was given a price, farmer said no, agent said no chance of any more, farmer said that's grand and hung up. Ten minutes later agent rang back offering ten cents more.

tanko wrote: »
    I wouldn't believe a word of what that agent said. A farmer i know rang an agent about a price for cows, was given a price, farmer said no, agent said no chance of any more, farmer said that's grand and hung up. Ten minutes later agent rang back offering ten cents more.

Sounds like a guy I used to deal with . He arrived into my yard lately

looking for bulls and then told me they have loads of cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Rang an agent about getting away a single bullock Wednesday morning he was slaughtered Friday. Dropped him in at 10.30 pm had the result at 3 pm. Before Christmas you have to wait 10 days and if he was in after 9pm you would get no result until after 4pm.

The reason there is little on here about prices is lads are not finishing. It no longer worth you while to winter finish. Cattle finished over the winter will usually have to be replaced with expensive stores in spring..

Every time they have a surplus if you have out of spec cattle they f@@k you over

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Funny thing is cattle are scarce..they are still only 3.60...10 cent above where we were with the strike...and some lads on here reckoned the strike stopped the price rising...well where is the rise ???

Robson99 wrote: »
    Funny thing is cattle are scarce..they are still only 3.60...10 cent above where we were with the strike...and some lads on here reckoned the strike stopped the price rising...well where is the rise ???

I think the blockades stopped prices dropping, then the glut stopped prices rising. No harm done to the factories. The proof of whether it was right or wrong is the feeling that farmers will never blockade a factory for longer than a Day or two again . Hard to get any joy out of the factories these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

1373 wrote: »
    I think the blockades stopped prices dropping, then the glut stopped prices rising. No harm done to the factories. The proof of whether it was right or wrong is the feeling that farmers will never blockade a factory for longer than a Day or two again . Hard to get any joy out of the factories these days

I agree but blockades should commence again. Or at least threaten it. Farmers should act like a workers union. Go out on strike , in for talks and out again if nothing happens. Thing is , nothing much has happened in prices, 10/15c is a joke with feeding costs.

jntsnk wrote: »
    I agree but blockades should commence again. Or at least threaten it. Farmers should act like a workers union. Go out on strike , in for talks and out again if nothing happens. Thing is , nothing much has happened in prices, 10/15c is a joke with feeding costs.

Processors seem to have no problem closing down for a couple of mths, cattle will still be there for them when they come back, last protest should've thought you that
    I wouldn't be surprised if factories are keeping prices down in case anyone would think the protests were successful if prices rose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

''Farmers should act like a workers union''
    That will be the day ,you need look no further then this tread with IFA and Beef plan members at each others throats .IMO if the beef joined with IFA to become its militant wing we might get somewhere a bit like SInn FeIn and the IRA!!!

If farmers were to blockade the factories now ,it would be the greatest own goal .i doubt the factories would see a threat of more blockades as credible at this stage

cute geoge wrote: »
    ''Farmers should act like a workers union''
    That will be the day ,you need look no further then this tread with IFA and Beef plan members at each others throats .IMO if the beef joined with IFA to become its militant wing we might get somewhere a bit like SInn FeIn and the IRA!!!

I’d hate to be trying to buy cattle out of your yard 💣🔫🔪

• Advertisement

Any quotes for the coming week? I’ve a mixture of bullocks and bulls ready to go. First man to offer €4 flat can have them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

Any quotes for the coming week? I’ve a mixture of bullocks and bulls ready to go. First man to offer €4 flat can have them!!
    would u not hang on for 4.20:rolleyes:

High bike wrote: »
    would u not hang on for 4.20:rolleyes:

Got 3.55 for u grade bulls a couple of weeks ago. Think the journal has them at 3.60 now.

Got 3.55 for u grade bulls a couple of weeks ago. Think the journal has them at 3.60 now.

It’s bizarre how the factories have managed to keep prices down for so long . This time last year I got 3.60/3.70 for o/r grades bulls when there was a 2 week wait to get them killed . Now been offered 3.40 /3.50 and they want them the next day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

Anyone depending on making money on cattle might as well throw in the towel.
    I was going to say lie down and die but I thought it was too depressing!🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

lalababa wrote: »
    Anyone depending on making money on cattle might as well throw in the towel.
    I was going to say lie down and die but I thought it was too depressing!🙂

Can’t get a good price for the factory cattle and store cattle are silly money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

Can’t get a good price for the factory cattle and store cattle are silly money.

Fr bullock yearlings are making 500 euro. Lads couldn't give 10 euro for them last March. Alot of fools out there I'm afraid.

Jjameson wrote: »
    To make 500 they’d be the better calf. The 50 to 100€ type. Glad to see they’re leaving a little turn for the brave souls.

Saw a friesian yearling bull make 700 last week but he was as good as a limousine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

should have the last few steers here ready for slaughter the end of the month..mix of aa,fr and a few continental all maybe 625kg average live...with the current base of 360 im strongly thinking of letting them off in the mart and let some lunatic give me 100 euro per head more than the factory..

• Advertisement

should have the last few steers here ready for slaughter the end of the month..mix of aa,fr and a few continental all maybe 625kg average live...with the current base of 360 im strongly thinking of letting them off in the mart and let some lunatic give me 100 euro per head more than the factory..

Or some dealer/finisher give you 150e less. That's my experience of these types close to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

You will find most lads around the ring for nearly finished cattle know their value to the cent. Good Continental cattle tend to make within a few euro of what they would make in the factory, but Fr, AA's or HE's will all make a bit less and on a bad day could make €150 less than the factory price.

If that was the case we’d all be selling finished cattle in the mart. Rarely do they make more in the mart unless cattle are very scarce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

1373 wrote: »
    It’s bizarre how the factories have managed to keep prices down for so long . This time last year I got 3.60/3.70 for o/r grades bulls when there was a 2 week wait to get them killed . Now been offered 3.40 /3.50 and they want them the next day

It's more bizarre that people are paying crazy prices for cattle. At this stage we know the factories won't increase prices until they really have to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

MIKEKC wrote: »
    It's more bizarre that people are paying crazy prices for cattle. At this stage we know the factories won't increase prices until they really have to

Can you give some examples of these "crazy" prices?

Haven't been to marts lately prices were quoted on this thread from before xmas to now

• Advertisement

Check Kanturk mart results for today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Check Kanturk mart results for today

Or Gortatlea last Wednesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭jfh

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Or Gortatlea last Wednesday night.

I was at ennis last Thursday and if you saw the Mart report, it showed top prices. I take Mart reports Pinch of salt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

jfh wrote: »
    I was at ennis last Thursday and if you saw the Mart report, it showed top prices. I take Mart reports Pinch of salt

I was in Gortatlea last Wednesday night.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I was in Gortatlea last Wednesday night.

Today's independent

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement