Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    What's the punishment for dirty cattle going to factory. 2 lads here I might get away in the next week or 2 but they are fairly dirty

€4 a piece. It’s hit or miss weather they clipp them or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Jjameson wrote: »
    5€ clipping charge on the majority of cattle out of the shed. As long as they are dry and reasonable.

If you push with the agent generally clipping will not be charged

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

If you push with the agent generally clipping will not be charged

Sounds like a fiver less for the agent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I've a few in calf cull cows here, high cell count, I was going to let them calve and then get them killed straight away, is there any issues with this does anyone know?

ruwithme wrote: »
    Sounds like a fiver less for the agent

No it a case when they will give nothing else they will concede on the clipping.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

I've a few in calf cull cows here, high cell count, I was going to let them calve and then get them killed straight away, is there any issues with this does anyone know?

I'd send any cow to the mart before going near a factory at the moment.

Jjameson wrote: »
    None but they will ko very poorly is the only issue. But do not try fatten them with the calf on board as I’m sure you know.
    If you're referring to big calves, we never had a problem yet over the years anyway, wouldn't even expect to put on ropes. Maybe it's different for mature dairy cows and relatively easy calving bulls. They're well fat now, 3+ /4, on 4 kgs all winter.

tanko wrote: »
    I'd send any cow to the mart before going near a factory at the moment.
    Out of respect to the old dears, I wouldn't be letting them near the cull cow ring to finish their days.

A little bird told me that the dept were questioning this, hence the query.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A little bird told me that the dept were questioning this, hence the query.
    Under EU legislation cows/heifers cannot be transported within the week after calving.

“Animals that are injured or that present physiological weaknesses or pathological processes shall not be considered fit for transport and in particular if they are pregnant females for whom 90 % or more of the expected gestation period has already passed, or females who have given birth in the previous week”

Regulation (EC) No 1/2005 Annex I Chapter I Paragraph 2(c)

Base price wrote: »
    Under EU legislation cows/heifers cannot be transported within the week after calving.

“Animals that are injured or that present physiological weaknesses or pathological processes shall not be considered fit for transport and in particular if they are pregnant females for whom 90 % or more of the expected gestation period has already passed, or females who have given birth in the previous week”

Regulation (EC) No 1/2005 Annex I Chapter I Paragraph 2(c)

Sound, thanks for that, we don't want to.be raising any red flags on the dept''s computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Sound, thanks for that, we don't want to.be raising any red flags on the dept''s computer.

TBH it's not about raising red flags with the Dept, it's about animal welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭farmer lad

What are base prices this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

farmer lad wrote: »
    What are base prices this week?

Got 3.70 base steers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Do your own research but was told by agent get my bullocks into factory this week. They may be planning to close for while. Dont want risk of them going over fat or overage.

• Advertisement

grange mac wrote: »
    Do your own research but was told by agent get my bullocks into factory this week. They may be planning to close for while. Dont want risk of them going over fat or overage.

Ya great idea start a panic. There is about nothing factory procurement managers and agent's will not stoop to. We are at what could be the start of a national crisis and the processing industry is out straight away trying to take advantage of it. Usual dispicible practices.

If (and none of us know what will happen) processor's have any such fears they should make sure that there procurement managers do not start a panic. They have a moral responsibility not to take advantage of a national crisis. But then we all saw there hyping of Brexit, there use of horse meat etc is there anything they will not stoop to?????

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Ya great idea start a panic. There is about nothing factory procurement managers and agent's will not stoop to. We are at what could be the start of a national crisis and the processing industry is out straight away trying to take advantage of it. Usual dispicible practices.

If (and none of us know what will happen) processor's have any such fears they should make sure that there procurement managers do not start a panic. They have a moral responsibility not to take advantage of a national crisis. But then we all saw there hyping of Brexit, there use of horse meat etc is there anything they will not stoop to?????
    +1
    The world still has to eat.

grange mac wrote: »

You should actually name the plant involved and report it to the department of agriculture. This is beyond the pale

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You should actually name the plant involved and report it to the department of agriculture. This is beyond the pale

So you're going to raise hell on the say so of a dealer........ that's all we'd need.
    I'd say the factories are peed off of farmers at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

I just wanted help few people on here hence my first 4words, if you had cattle coming due last thing one want is more stalling from them. I moved mine earlier as didn't want them going overage or fat if forced to keep them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

I’ll give you an example of factories morals .during the heatwave of 2018 , dairy coop s purchased fodder abroad and brought it back to Ireland, the factories cut the price and took full advantage of any farmers in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

wrangler wrote: »
    So you're going to raise hell on the say so of a dealer........ that's all we'd need.

**** the factories. Every chance they get they kick the farmer

As I said it should be reported to the department both the agent and the plant. This is just another attempt by procurement managers to creat panic. We have being down this road before and your continual acceptance of processor's behaviour is wrong in this case.

We have a JIT food system. Government's will need to keep food on shops. Any run on any goodwill only be short-term as that supplies of that food will will disappear.

It will be very important to continue the supply of hig calorie energy and bitumen rich food.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

locha wrote: »
    Got 3.70 base steers.

€3.55 base young bulls.
    Cull cows €2.95.

Wtf???

“Public transport will continue to operate, the shops will remain open, and we have plans to ensure that supply chains will not be interrupted. We need public and businesses to take a sensible level headed and responsible approach. during this difficult time,” Mr Varadkar said.

ie Mart and Factories to stay open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I would have thought Marts would be closed as more that 100 people would gather in them but I assume it is a decision of each mart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The gawkers stay away and every ring will have a lot less than 100. Buyers in any mart, 20? Sellers only go in as their turn nears. Can be done.

Water John wrote: »
    The gawkers stay away and every ring will have a lot less than 100. Buyers in any mart, 20? Sellers only go in as their turn nears. Can be done.

And marts upgrade there personnel sanitary facilities. Clean towels plenty of soap and water and regular cleaning. Toilet facilities on some larger marts are disgraceful

Slava Ukrainii

As I said it should be reported to the department both the agent and the plant. This is just another attempt by procurement managers to creat panic. We have being down this road before and your continual acceptance of processor's behaviour is wrong in this case.

We have a JIT food system. Government's will need to keep food on shops. Any run on any goodwill only be short-term as that supplies of that food will will disappear.

It will be very important to continue the supply of hig calorie energy and bitumen rich food.

If that's true and closing would incur the wrath of the dept, do you think processors would allow an agent/dealer say they were closing.......... you must be joking.

Reggie. wrote: »
    **** the factories. Every chance they get they kick the farmer

Don't you know they only laugh at you saying #### the factories,........ like , what's the point, only belittling yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Look at the age demographic. Too many grey heads.
    There will be more hanging round the rings now that there is a sniff of value plus lads with the day off work

If that's true and closing would incur the wrath of the dept, do you think processors would allow an agent/dealer say they were closing.......... you must be joking.

No agent/dealer made this up himself. Procurement managers are noted for whispering in to the ears if agents and use anything to cause panic to cause a glut of cattle at the gates. If it was the choice of 5c/kg or a whisper to get cattle in the gate the whisper is always used

Slava Ukrainii

Finished stock should rise judging by the way shops are emptying....

No agent/dealer made this up himself. Procurement managers are noted for whispering in to the ears if agents and use anything to cause panic to cause a glut of cattle at the gates. If it was the choice of 5c/kg or a whisper to get cattle in the gate the whisper is always used

FFS, You're as bad as BEEF PLAN with the stories.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/beef/beef-prices/beef-prices-quotes-steady-as-factories-insist-virus-is-nothing-we-cant-handle-39029230.html?fbclid=IwAR1HaJbTWGCGVk-gu-4eKGRkfsguqOd_5jPfmYmpoWGV98-RN0yPzfpO77M

Cop yourself on us once more you bring.up.BP. look at the date and time today at 2.30 on your link did they send it to you personally they that you hit it that fast.

Are they reacting to being called out on a propaganda trick. Has Cormac got you on his speed dial again. If it was not reacted to on this forum would it have gone unchecked.

Your retired from farming stay retired let the rest of us try to survive after the mess that has been left to us.

Slava Ukrainii

Once again they were caught offside

Slava Ukrainii

Once again they were caught offside

Jokes on you mate.
    The article I posted is on tuesdays farming indo.
    As yet another Beef Plan conspiracy theory bites the dust...eh
    You must think that factories care what we think

Jokes on you mate.
    The article I posted is on tuesdays farming indo.
    As yet another Beef Plan conspiracy theory bites the dust...eh
    You must think that factories care what we think

The article on the link you posted is was put up today at 2.30 look for yourself mate just like an agriland article was put up as well mate so it funny, not funny ha ha but funny peculiar

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

The article on the link you posted is was put up today at 2.30 look for yourself mate just like an agriland article was put up as well mate so it funny, not funny ha ha but funny peculiar

Agriland always post beef price article from the Indo later in the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

March 12 2020 02:30 AM

That would be 13 hours before wrangler posted his link, lads.

Calm down or take a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Are people on here for real?
    Supermarket shelves stripped bare of all types of beef.....demand unprecedented
    Prices will only go one way and that’s up..
    Farmers will be doing well to keep factories supplied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lad that works in a chicken factory i know said that orders are up 300%, mad too, youd think that people wilould be eating the same amount haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

People are pure made, I believe electrical shops cant keep chest freezers in stock.
    Panic buying and in a few months then people will be flinging the lot out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Shhh, I need a cheap s/h freezer don't be telling people its crazy to buy new ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

BENDYBINN wrote: »

People are all stocked up, so won't need any more for a while. Why should prices go up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

MIKEKC wrote: »
    People are all stocked up, so won't need any more for a while. Why should prices go up?

Yea all the shops are going to be empty tomorrow....everyone is all stocked up......the government should hire you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Easy bendy, you have me heart racing reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Yea all the shops are going to be empty tomorrow....everyone is all stocked up......the government should hire you!!

Crowds much smaller today, must be all stocked up. No improvement in cattle prices for next week

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement