Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Crowds much smaller today, must be all stocked up. No improvement in cattle prices for next week

Local here has pulled the quote by 5 cent for tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I hear Bulls are back 10 cent from last week. This is the start of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Not a good indicator for beef prices in the short term.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1240576970611740673?s=19

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I hear Bulls are back 10 cent from last week. This is the start of it.

All the lads that left the shed empty this winter can feel happy so.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

blue5000 wrote: »

Their fields mighty be empty for the summer as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well the cattle have to be somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Water John wrote: »
    Well the cattle have to be somewhere?

They will be stayin where they are.....

blue5000 wrote: »

The 40k kill last week doesn’t suggest too many left them empty. A couple of thousand calves included in that ok but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

McDonalds are closing all Irish outlets tomorrow

Biggest purchaser Of beef in Ireland I believe

This can’t be good for beef price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Panch18 wrote: »

By the time this virus is gone we will be facing into more Brexit uncertainty. This should mean Beef will be on its knees again by the end of the Summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭morphy87

Not good I’d agree, but hopefully more people will eat burgers at home,quick and easy to cook and if you are going to McDonald’s and purchase a burger but if you go to a shop you more than likely will buy a pack, maybe six in a pack unless your dealing with a butcher, was talking to a butcher Friday he was never so busy, never sold as many Sunday roasts for this weekend in his career, so maybe the hit might not be to bad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

McDonalds UK aswell 1270 outlets.
    Not good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

By the time this virus is gone we will be facing into more Brexit uncertainty. This should mean Beef will be on its knees again by the end of the Summer

I think now that the Brexit hit will be pushed into next year.

Short term the sterling collapse will be significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

McDonalds UK aswell 1270 outlets.
    Not good

It hard to know what way food consumption will go. Fishing fleets are in port as at last auction fish were making less than the diesel cost to catch. All the talk is burger consumption will decline McD's closing and no burger after the Saturday soccer match. No steaks because restaurants closed.
    Question is what will replace all these proteins. Chicken??. There is s lot of that sold by fast food joints and ready cooked out of Chinese and deli's in shops/supermarket's. However most of that comes from Thailand.
    I think beef will hold its own. Supermarkets will not replace chicken on shelves sourced from EU farms with Asian product. Chinese demand for pork and chicken will raise again as crisis seems to be over there at present. If fish remains scarce beef should at least hold it own. Steaks are no longer expensive in shops. Pubs closed. Bolanaise on Tuesday, a couple of steaks on Thursday, Roast on Sunday as no trip to the shops or Grandparents, and leftover's on Monday or for sannies during the week. There might even be s bit for the dog or cat.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

It hard to know what way food consumption will go. Fishing fleets are in port as at last auction fish were making less than the diesel cost to catch. All the talk is burger consumption will decline McD's closing and no burger after the Saturday soccer match. No steaks because restaurants closed.
    Question is what will replace all these proteins. Chicken??. There is s lot of that sold by fast food joints and ready cooked out of Chinese and deli's in shops/supermarket's. However most of that comes from Thailand.
    I think beef will hold its own. Supermarkets will not replace chicken on shelves sourced from EU farms with Asian product. Chinese demand for pork and chicken will raise again as crisis seems to be over there at present. If fish remains scarce beef should at least hold it own. Steaks are no longer expensive in shops. Pubs closed. Bolanaise on Tuesday, a couple of steaks on Thursday, Roast on Sunday as no trip to the shops or Grandparents, and leftover's on Monday or for sannies during the week. There might even be s bit for the dog or cat.
    In the last recession, the cheap meat got dear and the dear meet got cheap.by that i mean people when they have little money will buy the cheaper type of meat so i think it will all come down to price per kilo.if chicken is the cheapest it will boom but if beef is the dearest it will get cheaper.i m not sure which is the most expensive to the consumer but iknow that beef is the most expensive to produce here.beef farmers are making nothing at 3.60 a kilo where as the break even for pigs is around half that or less.google tells me chicken is around 1.70 a kilo.so reading from that the outlook mightn't be great.it all depends on how much effect this has on the world economy.the truth is i dont have a bulls notion how all this is going to pan out though

K.G. wrote: »
    In the last recession, the cheap meat got dear and the dear meet got cheap.by that i mean people when they have little money will buy the cheaper type of meat so i think it will all come down to price per kilo.if chicken is the cheapest it will boom but if beef is the dearest it will get cheaper.i m not sure which is the most expensive to the consumer but iknow that beef is the most expensive to produce here.beef farmers are making nothing at 3.60 a kilo where as the break even for pigs is around half that or less.google tells me chicken is around 1.70 a kilo.so reading from that the outlook mightn't be great.it all depends on how much effect this has on the world economy.the truth is i dont have a bulls notion how all this is going to pan out though

In a normal recession people have way less money to spend. Admittedly I am only looking at the short term. In the short term a lot people will be working from home spending less on diesel and on latte's. Government's are paying larger income supports, no pubs and no social gathering.

It interesting that at present you cannot buy flour in shop's. Is this because people are so badly off they have to do there own baking. With more time on there hands and more mini for alot of people buying decent food may be the luxury they choose

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

The price around the ring better fall now... It will be the biggest wake up in Spring Marts in a number of years.

Oil now trading at 25 usd a barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

kk.man wrote: »
    The price around the ring better fall now... It will be the biggest wake up in Spring Marts in a number of years.

Watch the factories drop the price now and Hoover up everything in the marts even if the have to give over the odds.
    They always prefer to give it in the mart rather than at their gates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

kk.man wrote: »

I wouldn’t like to be buying big CH cattle this year. With hotels closed the market for big carcass’s is gone. Demand from the supermarkets is up but now it’s tge only game in town

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

In a normal recession people have way less money to spend. Admittedly I am only looking at the short term. In the short term a lot people will be working from home spending less on diesel and on latte's. Government's are paying larger income supports, no pubs and no social gathering.

It interesting that at present you cannot buy flour in shop's. Is this because people are so badly off they have to do there own baking. With more time on there hands and more mini for alot of people buying decent food may be the luxury they choose

If you told people a month ago that there d be no plane in the sky ,now its accepted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

K.G. wrote: »
    If you told people a month ago that there d be no plane in the sky ,now its accepted

Adopt and overcome

I think one thing people can and will do is put good food on the table, since so many other options in life are not available ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Anyone getting better then 3.65 base for steers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Supermacs the next to close, stopping next Thursday evening.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/supermacs-to-close-all-outlets-by-thursday-535764

locha wrote: »
    Anyone getting better then 3.65 base for steers

Got 3.70 last week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Just heard down here that there not quoting for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Was in Lidl this morning and a 1.2kg chicken 2 euro and very hard to beat that for value.

Did I see Moy Park were looking for workers?

In terms of protein, fish is not being harvested, so various meats will be filling that gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

look at flight radar youll get a fair shock my man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Was in Lidl this morning and a 1.2kg chicken 2 euro and very hard to beat that for value.

I noticed that packs of beef and chickens slice now weighs a lot less. It’s the old trick to fool the consumer, no price increase but cut the weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Do the factories ever make mistakes that benefit the farmer !!
    Killed 2 HEx last week 34 months not overdone.
    Always have a stab at weight and grade of the animals just to see if I'm becoming a better judge ! So my guess was
    Bullock 1 355kg O+3+ (the better in my opinion)
    Bullock 2 340kg O-3=

Killed out as follows
    Bullock 1 362kg O+4=
    Bullock 2 405kg O=4=

So leaving aside the grading, I either had bullock 1 almost spot on the weight and bullock 2 was a cock up by the factory or else I was just totally out and screwed on bullock 1.
    In any case I'm not complaining. Expected to be done for clipping also but wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Always have a stab at weight and grade of the animals just to see if I'm becoming a better judge ! So my guess was
    Bullock 2 340kg O-3=

Killed out as follows
    Bullock 1 362kg O+4=
    Bullock 2 405kg O=4=

So leaving aside the grading, I either had bullock 1 almost spot on the weight and bullock 2 was a cock up by the factory or else I was just totally out and screwed on bullock 1.
    In any case I'm not complaining. Expected to be done for clipping also but wasn't.

There’s nothing between o- and o=

Bullock 2 340kg O-3=

Killed out as follows
    Bullock 1 362kg O+4=
    Bullock 2 405kg O=4=

The only way the factory made a mistake is if they mixed your and another animals tags up during the slaughter process. This is very unlikely and if it happened there is some farmer out there wondering why a bullock preformed so badly.

However plain bullocks can surprise you at times they can really weigh.however that is a big difference to be wrong about. I had two bullocks this year one s plain all black Friesian bullock 34 months killed 407 kgs he was bought in August And I has a BA bullock that I had 18months kill 410. The grades were R+ and O=, I taught the plain fella was nearer a P but he was fierce long. The plain fellow was killed 4weeks before the good one I taught the good lad would be 450kgs I could not understand it. But the plain fella was gobbling out through the barrier any time I was there

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Any delay in getting in cattle.

mf240 wrote: »
    Any delay in getting in cattle.

I say there is no issue with U36 month cattle however heavy bulls, cows etc could be a different matter

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Bullock 2 340kg O-3=

Killed out as follows
    Bullock 1 362kg O+4=
    Bullock 2 405kg O=4=

At that age it would be very difficult to have a Hereford as a 3. By their nature they carry a lot of fat cover and would normally be on the higher side when it comes to fat

Jjameson wrote: »
    Did they leave a twist?

As it turns out yes but not huge. At what I was expecting would have broke even. Cost €1000 a piece end of April last year probably €30/€40 too much for em. Averaged at €1354.
    Had been with a batch I finished last December getting 4kg of 16% but for 4weeks. When I knew they wouldn't be ready at 30mts I left em with bunch of stores so were getting just over 2kg of ration a day since late December. A mix of rolled barley and 16% nut.

The only way the factory made a mistake is if they mixed your and another animals tags up during the slaughter process. This is very unlikely and if it happened there is some farmer out there wondering why a bullock preformed so badly.

However plain bullocks can surprise you at times they can really weigh.however that is a big difference to be wrong about. I had two bullocks this year one s plain all black Friesian bullock 34 months killed 407 kgs he was bought in August And I has a BA bullock that I had 18months kill 410. The grades were R+ and O=, I taught the plain fella was nearer a P but he was fierce long. The plain fellow was killed 4weeks before the good one I taught the good lad would be 450kgs I could not understand it. But the plain fella was gobbling out through the barrier any time I was there

In fairness they were big rangey animals for a finish.
    Surprising thing is to look at them no way would I have said there was such a difference.
    Even at only 50% killout difference would have been about 90kg live weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

In fairness they were big rangey animals for a finish.
    Surprising thing is to look at them no way would I have said there was such a difference.
    Even at only 50% killout difference would have been about 90kg live weight.

If the second bullock was not squeezed properly he would have bull tendecy's and he would weigh like lead

cute geoge wrote: »
    If the second bullock was not squeezed properly he would have bull tendecy's and he would weigh like lead

That's interesting. Had no bullish traits in his appearance and bag was tight but he was a bit of a flighty fcuker.

• Advertisement

cute geoge wrote: »

If he had bull tendency's you see it in his grade he be anO+/R grade. Some of them plain bullocks that do not weight when young if you can get finish on them.will weight very heavy. They are the sort of bullocks that crucify you as they fail to weight or grade but if you hold them and and they come up onto O= they really weight.

As the saying goes ''age weights'' especially in big plain bullocks that get into FS4

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Anyone any updates for this week?

Quoted 3.55 base for steers up to 420kg for tomorrow. East midlands.
    Anything over 420kg will get a flat rate payment of 3.55/kg.

From talking to the agent, sounds like they are doing me a favor taking them as they just dont want heavy continentals now due to limited export.

This is some punishment to take!

dryan wrote: »
    Anyone any updates for this week?

Quoted 3.55 base for steers up to 420kg for tomorrow. East midlands.
    Anything over 420kg will get a flat rate payment of 3.55/kg.

From talking to the agent, sounds like they are doing me a favor taking them as they just dont want heavy continentals now due to limited export.

This is some punishment to take!

That’s a fair drop in a week. Worse yet to come probably

Bullock 2 340kg O-3=

Killed out as follows
    Bullock 1 362kg O+4=
    Bullock 2 405kg O=4=

Yeah they made mistakes in My favour. I could never get through to them when I rang to tell them though :).
    Sometimes sending mixed loads of bulls and bullocks there might be an overage bull that they’d put down as a bullock. So instead of getting cut on them we’d get all the bonuses going on them and they’d usually weigh very heavy as bulls at 26 or 27 months old
    Saying that the factories are like the bookies. They always win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What’s u18 month bulls making?

What’s u18 month bulls making?

3.60 for u grades last week

There is a bit of turbulence coming but after the weather woes 2018, and then the Brexit profiteering last year beef finishing farmers have shown they are independently wealthy! Store cattle never showed the market reality and there’s no talk of much unpaid bills.

Don’t where you get that idea from I still owe 6 k for 2018
    I think If you asked the merchants you’d get a different view lots of ppl still haven’t paid there bills in full since 18
    The only saving was store could be bought for feck all in October November last year

Heard Monday’s quotes €3:50

Hardly an idea. Merchants are owed more from dairy farmers than beef farmers in the south east. I seen no store cattle for feck all last November? I seen plenty of big out of spec cattle sold for feck all all right. Pensions, big sfp and independent income all subsidise beef finishing. Farmers made liars of the protests.

Cattle still coming rain hail or shine no matter the price. Doesn’t seem to matter.

Obviously they they have higher meal bills and fert
    Compared to the hobby beef farmers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Duke92 wrote: »
    Heard Monday’s quotes €3:50

Have to back on strike.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement