Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Dunedin wrote: »
    Have to back on strike.........

Thank god with covid 19 we won’t have them out to make things even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Dunedin wrote: »
    Have to back on strike.........

Calm down, only joking. Staying safe and alive is the goal at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

Jjameson wrote: »
    Not at all. Any price will do as long as you can get them sold. Just need the marts open to replace them. Let away a big one cheap and buy back the small ones dear!

Seriously though, word of uk retail beef flying however there only one winner there. I thought Justin’s piece in the journal was fairly well thought out this week but no doubt it certainly won’t be acted on in any organised way.

I was disappointed with his editorial tbh.

He was calling for intervention for dairy and stating the consequences of a collapse in income for the milk producer. I don't recall him calling for intervention for beef during the protests and the beef farmer still enduring bad prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    I was disappointed with his editorial tbh.

He was calling for intervention for dairy and stating the consequences of a collapse in income for the milk producer. I don't recall him calling for intervention for beef during the protests and the beef farmer still enduring bad prices.

The Irish haven't a great record with beef intervention, don't think there'll ever be intervention here again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

wrangler wrote: »
    The Irish beef processors haven't a great record with beef intervention, don't think there'll ever be intervention here again

Corrected that for you

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Duke92 wrote: »
    Heard Monday’s quotes €3:50

Heard only want / taking < 400Kg dead. Funny, didn't hear about the 3,4 month period of notice for this.

Corrected that for you

No mistake, you've just led a sheltered life.
    Weren't farmers caught out during the foot and mouth cull. they could have the same sheep at numerous inspection but they couldn't slaughter/cull them any more than once.

MfMan wrote: »
    Heard only want / taking < 400Kg dead. Funny, didn't hear about the 3,4 month period of notice for this.

Yea, I laughed when I heard that being agreed.
    Customer sets the specs and they're always right

No mistake, you've just led a sheltered life.
    Weren't farmers caught out during the foot and mouth cull. they could have the same sheep at numerous inspection but they couldn't slaughter/cull them any more than once.

You made a statement about intervention and I corrected it. There will always be a small minority in any profession that act illegally whether it be solicitors, builders or farmers.

However where at timers virtually the whole industry has acted illegally as in the horsemeat scandal or what happened with intervention is unusual. You blamed all Irish, not those responsible for the intervention saga. No point now throwing a different story into the pot

Slava Ukrainii

You made a statement about intervention and I corrected it. There will always be a small minority in any profession that act illegally whether it be solicitors, builders or farmers.

However where at timers virtually the whole industry has acted illegally as in the horsemeat scandal or what happened with intervention is unusual. You blamed all Irish, not those responsible for the intervention saga. No point now throwing a different story into the pot

Just highlighting that our sector needn't take the high moral ground, I could tell you lots of different stories in my experiences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Just highlighting that our sector needn't take the high moral ground, I could tell you lots of different stories in my experiences

Can you tell us the story about how your beef baron buddies couldn't tell the difference between horses and cattle?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 juniorfarmer

tanko wrote: »
    Can you tell us the story about how your beef baron buddies couldn't tell the difference between horses and cattle?
    I can. They forgot to collect their specsavers prescriptions for the previous few months earlier and <Mod snip>

tanko wrote: »

And our public (dis)service let them away with it, why wouldn't they take advantage,

I can. They forgot to collect their specsavers prescriptions for the previous few months earlier <Mod snip>
    [/B]

Was just saying that to the dogs this morning, 10k walk with them this morning,not bad for a pensioner
    Beef processors can't be all bad, a lot of farmers seem to sell to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

[/B]

Was just saying that to the dogs this morning, 10k walk with them this morning,not bad for a pensioner
    Beef processors can't be all bad, a lot of farmers seem to sell to them

Hope you didn't go further than 2km from home

whelan2 wrote: »
    Hope you didn't go further than 2km from home

I have a 6.5k circuit that I seldom meet anyone on, and don't need leads or pooh bags for the dogs. I walk it every morning, did most of it again because it was such a nice morning, we winter four rams nearby so have to drive that far anyway to feed them, ;)
    The road we live on is too busy with walkers these days

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

MOD NOTE juniorfarmer don't post in this thread for 24 hours. In the meantime have a read of the charter.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Or as I said before how they brought lamb in from the north in the dead of night at the time of the foot-and-mouth crisis....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Every dog on the street knew about the Scottish lamb. But it took a certain Tipperary lady to nail it. So many didn't want to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Or as I said before how they brought lamb in from the north in the dead of night at the time of the foot-and-mouth crisis....
    Reminds me of the Garda operation code named Oxblood. A cattle dealer from Meath was jailed for 3 years due to cattle tag irregularities during the FMD crisis.

• Advertisement

And they exporting Irish beef into britain under the noses of Welsh and English farmers....... scandalous carry on.
    Cop yourself on, there's a hell of alot more meat going into Britain from here than going the other way.
    We should stop the trade both ways and see what'll happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Base price wrote: »
    Reminds me of the Garda operation code named Oxblood. A cattle dealer from Meath was jailed for 3 years due to cattle tag irregularities during the FMD crisis.

I'm not familiar with the case, but i bet they didn't keep the rascal 3 days behind bars, if he even got that far

And they exporting Irish beef into britain under the noses of Welsh and English farmers....... scandalous carry on.
    Cop yourself on, there's a hell of alot more meat going into Britain from here than going the other way.
    We should stop the trade both ways and see what'll happen

You cop yourself on Wrangler. They brought in livestock illegally across a border at a time of lockdown and a time of grave crisis to the livestock industry in this country. Remember the Primetime program on this? You ok with that kind of conduct?

You cop yourself on Wrangler. They brought in livestock illegally across a border at a time of lockdown and a time of grave crisis to the livestock industry in this country. Remember the Primetime program on this? You ok with that kind of conduct?

Imported sheep brought in F and M and some were unloaded at a farm on the way to the factory. mightn't have been a problem or even spotted had the whole load got to the factory, don't remember them transporting during the lockdown, I doubt that they did or even could such was the lockdown at the time

Looks like this was just hearsay

''As a result of our continuing investigation into a consignment of 248 sheep which arrived at the Athleague plant from the North on February 20, it would now appear that another consignment which originated in the North was taken to Kepak on February 22 and the animals were killed on the 23rd.''

was it ever proven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Jjameson wrote: »
    A beef baron has a large holding of land near here and the stories of skullduggery are dying out now with an aging generation but the stories should be wrote down for posterity really..

In the late 70,s a woman sold an aged cow to a factory agent for very small money and received a cheque and kill out sheet from the factory. 3 weeks later the cow was on her yard having walked the beach from the said land to her home. (The cow spent her life grazing the long acre and knew the beach) There was a couple of hundred dead but still living such cows congregated in the sand banks of the holding. The reasons why I can’t remember.

Ha ha, i burst laughing when i read that. I know them & the story well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ruwithme wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with the case, but i bet they didn't keep the rascal 3 days behind bars, if he even got that far
    From memory he did a year and a half. The sentencing judge said that what he did was a treasonable act. The fooker got off lightly.

Base price wrote: »
    From memory he did a year and a half. The sentencing judge said that what he did was a treasonable act. The fooker got off lightly.

And the processor that...ahem did not know the lambs were not Irish (for that matter they could have been horses) were left off scott free as well. It takes two to tango but only one is left with the baby. And the processors are never left with the baby

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

And the processor that...ahem did not know the lambs were not Irish (for that matter they could have been horses) were left off scott free as well. It takes two to tango but only one is left with the baby. And the processors are never left with the baby

Paperwork was wrong or non excistant , that's all they could jail the dealer on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Any quotes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Any quotes?

350 getting more than i want and i dont want anything over 360kg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

epfff wrote: »

Athleague id say that is ....great men for moving the goalposts without any forewarning...typical arrogant ****e out of them

Are you a factory owner?

An agent had 3 Deckers of cattle bought down and when the €350 was mentioned two were canceled. Both farmers said not selling at that price and they cant even replace them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Are you a factory owner?

Not yet.
    But soon real soon.

Just quoting what one of my future employees said on phone to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Not yet.
    But soon real soon.

Just quoting what one of my future employees said on phone to me
    That's them word for word.....if you can't beat them..

330 u bulls next week

Anyone else here totally disillusioned with beef farming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's a nice occupation, if it made money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭I says

I bought just enough fert to go a bag to the acre and set stock what I have. I’ve bought no summer grazers and won’t bother me backside with silage this year. No point in doing anything else because the money isn’t in it, what I’ve out at the moment is worthless than I paid for them last backend.
    Christ above the dairy calves must be worthless this time. How long will this last who knows it’s what’s left after is the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

I says wrote: »
    I bought just enough fert to go a bag to the acre and set stock what I have. I’ve bought no summer grazers and won’t bother me backside with silage this year. No point in doing anything else because the money isn’t in it, what I’ve out at the moment is worthless than I paid for them last backend.
    Christ above the dairy calves must be worthless this time. How long will this last who knows it’s what’s left after is the thing.

I could do with about 35 more cattle but looking at what lads are looking for them on Done Deal and given factory prices falling back they could be expensive lawnmowers so might be best to not buy

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

That’s putting it nicely I’d be kick out of this if I said what I really taught
    Bought cattle in feb taught they might be good
    And don’t ask me what I paid for them

Ger1987 wrote: »
    I could do with about 35 more cattle but looking at what lads are looking for them on Done Deal and given factory prices falling back they could be expensive lawnmowers so might be best to not buy

IMO lads are looking far too much for them. I have a theory that's their opening bid and wounder what's the actual sale price.
    If sellers want money for loans etc they will have to sell and buyers should be walk away till the price is fair given the current state of fat cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Duke92 wrote: »
    That’s putting it nicely I’d be kick out of this if I said what I really taught
    Bought cattle in feb taught they might be good
    And don’t ask me what I paid for them

Ya , stocked up for the year , as normal, early in the year. Now sorry also but who would’ve seen this virus coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Totally! This was the last thing that was needed for beef. And Brexit is still hanging out there. I’m farming full time and was happy at it and making enough but after this year and the future , thinking sitting on my entitlement, and a part time job . Until things settle down for a few years. Land will always be there . Too much turbulence at present

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Ger1987 wrote: »

Went to see a few 2yr old HEx bullocks off sucklers that an auld lad had on DD this morning. Nice fella but a nice bit off the mark.
    Without being weighed looked about 500-525kg max. Asking €1150 I was offering €1000. I came to €1050 and he dropped €50 to €1100. Wished him the best of luck with them but too rich for me I says.
    Rang another lad. A bunch of 2yr old LM and CH outwintered and looked nice in the pics. Weighed and came in at between 520 and 530kg. Asking €1350 !!
    Don't think some lads realise where factory prices are headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Went to see a few 2yr old HEx bullocks off sucklers that an auld lad had on DD this morning. Nice fella but a nice bit off the mark.
    Without being weighed looked about 500-525kg max. Asking €1150 I was offering €1000. I came to €1050 and he dropped €50 to €1100. Wished him the best of luck with them but too rich for me I says.
    Rang another lad. A bunch of 2yr old LM and CH outwintered and looked nice in the pics. Weighed and came in at between 520 and 530kg. Asking €1350 !!
    Don't think some lads realise where factory prices are headed.

They would just about come into €1000 off the present beef price while hitting all the grades re quality etc. €50 less if beef price dropped €0.20c/kg .

Weight 525kg
    Killout 52%
    Deadweight 273kg
    Beefprice 3.70/kg including quality
    Total €1010.1

jntsnk wrote: »
    Totally! This was the last thing that was needed for beef. And Brexit is still hanging out there. I’m farming full time and was happy at it and making enough but after this year and the future , thinking sitting on my entitlement, and a part time job . Until things settle down for a few years. Land will always be there . Too much turbulence at present

I really feel sorry for the full-time beef and sheep farmer. I was hoping to be one years ago but now you would need substantial acreage and work like a slave to bring in the industrial wage even with subs.

kk.man wrote: »
    I really feel sorry for the full-time beef and sheep farmer. I was hoping to be one years ago but now you would need substantial acreage and work like a slave to bring in the industrial wage even with subs.

You’d work yourself into an ejit and never have a decent few pound in your pocket.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement