Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

wrangler wrote: »
    I wonder why they aren't throwing out the Irish stuff, It shouldn't be there either.
    Same thing really

They obviously don't see it as such, lifetime on the shelf, history etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭straight

straight wrote: »
    British isles sure

I saw an article on Facebook, I think it was from the ,<mod snip while we check the source?>. They were blaming the beef protests for the reason there is polish meat on our shelves. It's like blaming the rape victim for wearing a short skirt. Fair maddening **** they wrote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I saw an article on Facebook, I think it was from the farmers journal. They were blaming the beef protests for the reason there is polish meat on our shelves. It's like blaming the rape victim for wearing a short skirt. Fair maddening **** they wrote.

Yea, the dealer claimed it was payback time for the protests.
    However it's common knowledge that the British catering trade is supplied from poland and with the reduction in demand there the meat would've had to go to the supermarkets.........probably at a good price rather than sending it back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

I saw an article on Facebook, I think it was from the ,<mod snip while we check the source?>. They were blaming the beef protests for the reason there is polish meat on our shelves. It's like blaming the rape victim for wearing a short skirt. Fair maddening **** they wrote.

A scathing attack on last year's protests in Page 2 of the Journal - the editorial page - this week.
    Spot on the money in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Good loser wrote: »
    A scathing attack on last year's protests in Page 2 of the Journal - the editorial page - this week.

In fairness the Farmers Journal is not the farmer's journal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,978 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Bullsh!t, dose anyone think the processor's would have behaved any different. It not like they did any favours to lads who tried to break blockade after the strike.

If anything the lads who tried to break the strike are not seeing the true colours of the processor's. I have actually given up buying the rag 2-3 weeks ago. If lads with cattle to sell at present had any ball and if IFA had any balls they ring the minister and tell him they were closing the factories.

The best thing that could happen is we block them and bankrupt them as they have no loyalty to either the country or to farmers. Anybody buying that bullsh!t is an idiot and anyone thinking it's true is a bigger idiot

Slava Ukrainii

Bullsh!t, dose anyone think the processor's would have behaved any different. It not like they did any favours to lads who tried to break blockade after the strike.

If anything the lads who tried to break the strike are not seeing the true colours of the processor's. I have actually given up buying the rag 2-3 weeks ago. If lads with cattle to sell at present had any ball and if IFA had any balls they ring the minister and tell him they were closing the factories.

The best thing that could happen is we block them and bankrupt them as they have no loyalty to either the country or to farmers. Anybody buying that bullsh!t is an idiot and anyone thinking it's true is a bigger idiot

Justin McCarthy is a balanced, shrewd individual.
    He has a very good fix on farming issues - technical and political.

He runs a good ship.
    You seem to let your sentiments and resentments run away with your judgement.
    Why would those with 'balls' ring the Minister? What's it to do with him?
    Last year's strike was idiotic from beginning to end.
    FFS 30 factories (effectively 6) trading with 30 to 100,000 customers for a perishable product with a short shelf life!
    Take a reality check.

Justin McCarthy is a balanced, shrewd individual.
    He has a very good fix on farming issues - technical and political.

He runs a good ship.
    You seem to let your sentiments and resentments run away with your judgement.
    Why would those with 'balls' ring the Minister? What's it to do with him?
    Last year's strike was idiotic from beginning to end.
    FFS 30 factories (effectively 6) trading with 30 to 100,000 customers for a perishable product with a short shelf life!
    Take a reality check.

Bullsh!t as well he was all ready to jump ship from the FJ a few years ago to go and work for was it MII or was it AIBP.

For the last 6+ months every problem with beef price is lad at BP doors. How the **** do we blame BP for it now. The processors are doing what they always do they collude to reduce price to farmers.

Did McDonalds just stop paying for burger meat when they announced there closure......was there a contract in place how long of that contract was left to run.

Why when British supermarkets are struggling to buy inspec beef can processors not extract a higher price for this. What was the rush to throw Polish beef onto British Supermarket shelves.

Since Brexit has been announced in 2016 the processors have used one issue after another to drop the price of beef blaming BP is Bullsh!t and only idiots buy that excuse.

The FJ is just a mouth piece for IFA and it is trying to protect them as much as possible

Slava Ukrainii

Bullsh!t as well he was all ready to jump ship from the FJ a few years ago to go and work for was it MII or was it AIBP.

For the last 6+ months every problem with beef price is lad at BP doors. How the **** do we blame BP for it now. The processors are doing what they always do they collude to reduce price to farmers.

Did McDonalds just stop paying for burger meat when they announced there closure......was there a contract in place how long of that contract was left to run.

Why when British supermarkets are struggling to buy inspec beef can processors not extract a higher price for this. What was the rush to throw Polish beef onto British Supermarket shelves.

Since Brexit has been announced in 2016 the processors have used one issue after another to drop the price of beef blaming BP is Bullsh!t and only idiots buy that excuse.

The FJ is just a mouth piece for IFA and it is trying to protect them as much as possible

Does it make any difference if Justin looked to move, he's doing a good job here. IFJ is doing very well. They're not afraid to put money into helping farmers.
    You need a reality check, beef plan are bad mouthing Irish beef, Bord Bia, etc right across social media, what do they expect to happen other than putting consumers off beef. Are beef plan members only weanling producers that don't give a s...e about beef finishers....you'd wonder sometimes.
    As for closing down factories, you saw what support that got last year, again weanling producers hampering finishers
    I'm on here years telling you that farmers don't want to block factories,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Let’s call a spade a spade

The beef plan is an absolute farce of an organisation. And I use the word organisation likely

It was clear at the time that this was the case.

And every single thing to do with beef plan since has proven this to be the case. Secret WhatsApp groups, county agm’s Not recognised, bitching and moaning to any news outlet that will listen.

It’s like a kindergarden

They are a complete joke

• Advertisement

Panch18 wrote: »

The beef plan is an absolute farce of an organisation. And I use the word organisation likely

And every single thing to do with beef plan since has proven this to be the case. Secret WhatsApp groups, county agm’s Not recognised, bitching and moaning to any news outlet that will listen.

It’s like a kindergarden

They are a complete joke

They're now looking for justin to apologise for reporting why polish beef got into English supermarkets last week.
    Beef plan seems to think their new role now is to harass IFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

It’s like a kindergarden

They are a complete joke

I went two evenings to a protests and at the time I thought fair play to ye. I think there was good men and women involved but the whole thing got out of control, with the tail wagging the dog. I have since changed my view and thought was a mess the whole thing was. First thing that annoyed me was they took shots at everyone and anyone, ifj, Ifa, bord bia. They should have picked their battles better. I’m not pro or anti any farm organisation by the way. Secondly, sending that letter to English’s beef customers saying Irish beef wasn’t truly grass fed-what were they thinking?
    It had the potential to be something brilliant but the agms were the final nail in the coffin. How could you let them represent you with all the infighting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

The factorys have been riding farmers for the last 50 years. Nothing to do with any group.

The only thing left for farmers to do is simply not produce beef cattle.

mf240 wrote: »
    The factorys have been riding farmers for the last 50 years. Nothing to do with any group.

Good businesses buy inputs cheap as they can, see the way that boardsies are pricing fuel at the moment, does that mean they're ''riding' too.
    Time for some to cop on I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Good businesses buy inputs cheap as they can, see the way that boardsies are pricing fuel at the moment, does that mean they're ''riding' too.
    Time for some to cop on I think

No matter how cheap you buy inputs if aibp manipulate the market with imported beef from else where every time that beef demand increases your at nothing and you know this well

cute geoge wrote: »
    No matter how cheap you buy inputs if aibp manipulate the market with imported beef from else where every time that beef demand increases your at nothing and you know this well

Wrangler is talking about processor's being allowed to buy cheap inputs beef in particular. He retired and has lost touch with farming and with reality. He only see everything through the the prism of what IFA and FJ says is good anything that is critical of them is bad

Slava Ukrainii

Wrangler is talking about processor's being allowed to buy cheap inputs beef in particular. He retired and has lost touch with farming and with reality. He only see everything through the the prism of what IFA and FJ says is good anything that is critical of them is bad

I'm more of a realist than some on here if they think they can bully any customer.
    Beef plan badmouthed IFA with the promise of something better,
    they bad mouthed beef processors with the promise of something better.
    they've destroyed our beef trade, Ireland now has to compete with poland....great

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Any one hear of this group looking for shipping cattle you pay a hundred for them to come and look at cattle then they come offer you a poor price that you won’t take
    Waste of a hundred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

they've destroyed our beef trade, Ireland now has to compete with poland....great

Our beef trade is fcuked with years....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭manjou

Haven't read the article but bit of a coincidence that at the same time abp are trying to justify polish beef imports the editor of farmers journal trys to lay blame of beef price on protests. Remember the second round of protests where farmers led . The only thing the processors fear is farmer unity because if irish farmers all joined together they might achieve something. Ad for polish beef it's comming in by the container load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Butcher on the news said, since the lockdown, their sale of choice roast cuts had doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

In times gone by, the likes of Goodman and his kind would have been shot and their houses burned down.

Sure it’s pay back really for the foolish protests that went on last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭leoch

Was i not thinking the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

There will be better times ahead lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭ppn

I went two evenings to a protests and at the time I thought fair play to ye. I think there was good men and women involved but the whole thing got out of control, with the tail wagging the dog. I have since changed my view and thought was a mess the whole thing was. First thing that annoyed me was they took shots at everyone and anyone, ifj, Ifa, bord bia. They should have picked their battles better. I’m not pro or anti any farm organisation by the way. Secondly, sending that letter to English’s beef customers saying Irish beef wasn’t truly grass fed-what were they thinking?
    It had the potential to be something brilliant but the agms were the final nail in the coffin. How could you let them represent you with all the infighting.

Wasn't that ridiculous letter sent by unofficial BeefPlan though? Seems like there is a small cohort in BPM that have become hungry for power, with ego's to match and I'm not talking about the original founders, who seem to be actually trying to do something rather than sniping, etc.

Official or unofficial there just so stupid no wonder things are so bad

mf240 wrote: »

Don't you understand that the price of cattle is determined by market forces?
    Supply and demand? Factories reflect these forces in their quotes which fluctuate from day to day.
    Have you never heard the expression 'cattle are scarce'?
    No factory was responsible for the daft store prices of Jan and Feb 2020.

Conspiracy theories are the product of weak minds and unsound reasoning.
    Such theories (in general) arise from the mistaken theory that, whatever happens in society - especially happenings such as war, unemployment,poverty, shortages, which people as a rule dislike - is the result of direct design by some powerful individuals or groups. (In the Middle Ages and earlier the Gods were blamed.)

FYI the price of cheese in Chicago dropped 40% in the last fortnight.
    Butter fell 30% ($1,000 per tonne) in 10 days.
    Demand for mozzarella has plunged 50%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

manjou wrote: »
    Haven't read the article but bit of a coincidence that at the same time abp are trying to justify polish beef imports the editor of farmers journal trys to lay blame of beef price on protests. Remember the second round of protests where farmers led . The only thing the processors fear is farmer unity because if irish farmers all joined together they might achieve something. Ad for polish beef it's comming in by the container load.
    You mean the fellas who were selling their weanlings/stores in the marts whilst stopping their neighbours bringing beef and lamb to the factories - feckin conts.

ppn wrote: »
    Wasn't that ridiculous letter sent by unofficial BeefPlan though? Seems like there is a small cohort in BPM that have become hungry for power, with ego's to match and I'm not talking about the original founders, who seem to be actually trying to do something rather than sniping, etc.

They don't need to send letters, the Beef plan forum on Facebook allows the badmouthing of Irish beef ad infinitum and I can assure you Beef Plan never lets the truth get in the way of a good story.
    With reference to the local BP mouth here I was told ''you wouldn't believe the radio in his jeep'' !!!!!!!!!

I was looking at stakes I got from him last year and there isn't a hope that they'll last forty years , the cracks at the staples are going the full length of the stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Don't you understand that the price of cattle is determined by market forces?
    Supply and demand? Factories reflect these forces in their quotes which fluctuate from day to day.
    Have you never heard the expression 'cattle are scarce'?
    No factory was responsible for the daft store prices of Jan and Feb 2020.

Such theories (in general) arise from the mistaken theory that, whatever happens in society - especially happenings such as war, unemployment,poverty, shortages, which people as a rule dislike - is the result of direct design by some powerful individuals or groups. (In the Middle Ages and earlier the Gods were blamed.)

FYI the price of cheese in Chicago dropped 40% in the last fortnight.
    Butter fell 30% ($1,000 per tonne) in 10 days.
    Demand for mozzarella has plunged 50%.
    Why dont we reduce supply?

Such theories (in general) arise from the mistaken theory that, whatever happens in society - especially happenings such as war, unemployment,poverty, shortages, which people as a rule dislike - is the result of direct design by some powerful individuals or groups. (In the Middle Ages and earlier the Gods were blamed.).

Good explanation of Beef plan.
    Conspiracy theories with no evidence to support ,
    Thanfully most have moved on from middle ages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Good explanation of Beef plan.
    Conspiracy theories with no evidence to support ,
    Thanfully most have moved on from middle ages

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

I guess trying to keep stock numbers right for the dept. Having no money and having to take whats given. Age of the cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It’s not so simple
    The number of suckler herd is reducing and should level at 500-600,000 by 2022
    Our Dairy herd has increased from 800,000 to 1.3m
    On top of this to control the market there is allot of beef imported and processed here

Jjameson wrote: »
    The history of this is interesting. It has quite a bit to do with the demographics of family farms in that the brightest boys either went abroad to work or became priests.
    Leaving mentally deficient men who had been conditioned to farm from a young age. Tongue in cheek of course!

The taxation system has a lot of us on a hamster wheel but aside from that it’s just belligerent pride or fear of change that is stopping a widespread move to more extensive farming. The answer to bad prices is never increased production from more inputs and this penny needs to drop.

I’m presume you mean the farmers in the west
    A lot would be great I’ll agree but not all
    They want to get the same wage as the guy milking 200 cows in southeast some joke
    They should just leave it as a carbon sink over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Duke92 wrote: »
    I’m presume you mean the farmers in the west
    A lot would be great I’ll agree but not all
    They want to get the same wage as the guy milking 200 cows in southeast some joke
    They should just leave it as a carbon sink over there

Emm
    If they got the same wage as someone milking 30 cows, it’d be an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

It’s not so simple
    On top of this to control the market there is allot of beef imported and processed here

Ah but you're making the fatal assumption there that beef farming is profitable....
    For the farmer it actually is as simple as Declan suggests: produce less of a loss-making product - and you'll lose less money.

Human nature I suppose, as soon as there'd be any optimism in the trade everyone would ramp up production again

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭manjou

Base price wrote: »
    You mean the fellas who were selling their weanlings/stores in the marts whilst stopping their neighbours bringing beef and lamb to the factories - feckin conts.

True in one way but on other hand if all 70000 odd beef farmers had of been together on this it may have been different. In the end a lack of unity as much as factory power caused it to go the way it did.

• Advertisement

It’s not so simple

As far as I remember the dairy herd was never at 800k. Certainly since joining the EEC it has never been under a million. In fact we have the same number of dairy cows today as in 1975

It’s the suckler herd that ramped up dramatically with the introduction of the suckler premia in the 90’s which saw the number of suckler cows more than double in the space of 10 years or so

manjou wrote: »
    True in one way but on other hand if all 70000 odd beef farmers had of been together on this it may have been different. In the end a lack of unity as much as factory power caused it to go the way it did.

How exactly did a lack of unity effect anything?? They seemed to think they were going to bend Larry over a barrel and get 4 euro for standing outside his gates for a few days. Fact is you could still be outside his gate and he wouldn’t be paying 4 euro. Naive in the extreme

Emm
    If they got the same wage as someone milking 30 cows, it’d be an improvement

It seems to me that some beef farmers expect to be able to make a living from 50 acres with 30 sucklers on it

It’s about time they woke up to reality that those days will never happen again NEVER

If you are a beef farmer it’s pretty simple. You should be aiming for 200 profit per acre. If you can’t achieve that on a regular basis you probably shouldn’t be farming, or farming at any level other than hobby

From your 200 an acre it’s Then it’s an acres game. If you have enough acres you can do it full time, depending on your income needs depends on how many acres you need. Maximise all cheques in the post.
    If you haven’t enough acres then you can’t do it full time. It’s that simple

But if you are losing money then you need to sharpen up dramatically or get out

It seems to me that some beef farmers expect to be able to make a living from 50 acres with 30 sucklers on it

It’s about time they woke up to reality that those days will never happen again NEVER

If you are a beef farmer it’s pretty simple. You should be aiming for 200 profit per acre. If you can’t achieve that on a regular basis you probably shouldn’t be farming, or farming at any level other than hobby

From your 200 an acre it’s Then it’s an acres game. If you have enough acres you can do it full time, depending on your income needs depends on how many acres you need. Maximise all cheques in the post.
    If you haven’t enough acres then you can’t do it full time. It’s that simple

But if you are losing money then you need to sharpen up dramatically or get out

There are no beef farmers out there making €200/acre profit.
    Not mathematically possible with beef at e4.50/kg not to mind e3.30 or whatever it is now.

If they think they are making that "profit" there's two possibilities:

1. They are counting subsidies, income from other enterprises or (worse again) off-farm income as income from "beef farming"

And/Or

2. They are not including their full costs of production:
    The ones usually left out are labour, capital, buildings and machinery - and God forbid you put a price on it - land.

Neddyusa wrote: »
    There are no beef farmers out there making €200/acre profit.
    Not mathematically possible with beef at e4.50/kg not to mind e3.30 or whatever it is now.

If they think they are making that "profit" there's two possibilities:

1. They are counting subsidies, income from other enterprises or (worse again) off-farm income as income from "beef farming"

And/Or

2. They are not including their full costs of production:
    The ones usually left out are labour, capital, buildings and machinery - and God forbid you put a price on it - land.

Then fellas need to get out or have it as a hobby

Jjameson wrote: »
    Farming is now essentially the haves and the have nots! Inheritance, spousal inheritance or income, independent income, large holdings and large sfp and menial living expenses, pensions.. for a sizeable proportion of beef farmers beef price will never have them on the breadline. I agree with all the above and if I was given the benefit of hindsight I would not have bothered my hole going to shake my fist at Larry.

It’s the same for dairy farmers as well

Doubling their number of cows to stay as they were. Loads of money invested and double the work. But no better off

Same with tillage. 250 acres is small tillage now

Chickens pigs etc

Beef is the only area where the small guy is in the majority still. But they should look to the small dairy farmers of 10 years ago. The smart ones got out

When I had 50 sucklers to beef and 250 ewes an eminent consultant(not teagasc) told me it wasn't a full time occupation ........ at the time I thought I was killed working

When I had 50 sucklers to beef and 250 ewes an eminent consultant(not teagasc) told me it wasn't a full time occupation ........ at the time I thought I was killed working

Unfortunately there is little correlation between work and income when it comes to beef

The best muscle you can use in beef is your brain. It’s only a game of ducking and diving nowadays. If you’re sharp and smart you can make a few quid. If not you won’t.

Fully agree.

The bit of your first post I took issue with was the suggestion that "bad" beef farmers were losing money and the "better" beef farmers were making money.

I have a problem with that idea - promoted by IFJ , Teagasc etc - that somehow doing everything by the textbook would make the beef farmer a nice profit.
    It wouldn't - and never would - unless beef remained consistently > €5/kg.
    But the notion that beef is profitable - as promoted by various vested interests - is what has a lot of very good beef farmers wondering what's wrong with them, that they can't make what "the lad in the paper" is making.

• Advertisement

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Fully agree.

The bit of your first post I took issue with was the suggestion that "bad" beef farmers were losing money and the "better" beef farmers were making money.

I have a problem with that idea - promoted by IFJ , Teagasc etc - that somehow doing everything by the textbook would make the beef farmer a nice profit.
    It wouldn't - and never would - unless beef remained consistently > €5/kg.
    But the notion that beef is profitable - as promoted by various vested interests - is what has a lot of very good beef farmers wondering what's wrong with them, that they can't make what "the lad in the paper" is making.

Sorry bad post from me. I’m not classing the guy who is producing per the teagasc text book as the good farmer, I didn’t make that clear at all from my post.

I agree 100% with you. Teagasc on the beef side have driven fellas demented thinking they could and should be like the fellas in the journal. Beef farmers have been sold an even bigger pup by teagasc than their dairy counterparts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement