Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Jjameson wrote: »
    If there was a greener field somewhere else they’d be there.

I always find it hard to understand lads making assumptions based of if's and but's. At the end of it we are about the 6th larges beef exporter in the world. The EU as whole exports less than 350 million tons outside it's borders, we export over 600 million tons out if Ireland, Poland has about 400 million tons export.

Most economic analyst's say that there is about 1% over production at present. It actually dropping. The assumption that Larry or other processor's will suddenly leave Ireland and it beef excess ( which has a top notch reputation) and replace all this product with Polish or Brazilian beef is mind boggling.

The other factor is knowing the ground. While money is mobile, wealth is not unless in a liquid form. As well local knowledge and contacts are critical in an business. Look at the way some business men only do well in certain area's. Tony O'Reilly was sharpest tool in the box at Heinz, he lost it all his wealth on bad business and investment decisions in Ireland. Denis O'Brien has made a fortune on Ireland his empire in the Carribbean is struggling. Move away from you area of operations and area of influence and you become vunerable. Ask Sean Quinn.

You are only the sharpest tool when you are in your own box

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

I always find it hard to understand lads making assumptions based of if's and but's. At the end of it we are about the 6th larges beef exporter in the world. The EU as whole exports less than 350 million tons outside it's borders, we export over 600 million tons out if Ireland, Poland has about 400 million tons export.

Most economic analyst's say that there is about 1% over production at present. It actually dropping. The assumption that Larry or other processor's will suddenly leave Ireland and it beef excess ( which has a top notch reputation) and replace all this product with Polish or Brazilian beef is mind boggling.

The other factor is knowing the ground. While money is mobile, wealth is not unless in a liquid form. As well local knowledge and contacts are critical in an business. Look at the way some business men only do well in certain area's. Tony O'Reilly was sharpest tool in the box at Heinz, he lost it all his wealth on bad business and investment decisions in Ireland. Denis O'Brien has made a fortune on Ireland his empire in the Carribbean is struggling. Move away from you area of operations and area of influence and you become vunerable. Ask Sean Quinn.

You have your export figures mixed up we export approx 550000 tonnes not 500 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I think you'll find that Irelands generous tax system is not only keeping millionaires here but attracting more as well.
    Ireland has stood strong against EUs effort to change it for that reason

richie123 wrote: »
    You have your export figures mixed up we export approx 550000 tonnes not 500 million.

I have the same mistake accriss the rest so figures are the same. We are still the 5/6 biggest exporter and Poland has 400k tons and the EU exports 350k tons. Same story just a decimal point in the wrong place on all figures

Slava Ukrainii

wrangler wrote: »
    I think you'll find that Irelands generous tax system is not only keeping millionaires here but attracting more as well.
    Ireland has stood strong against EUs effort to change it for that reason

What you said is rubbish.Ireland personal tax rates are highish and a lot more really wealthy individuals are tax exiles, Surmfit, O'Brien and McManus are all tax exiles as are a few more.yes corporate tax rates are low but that is to keep multi nationals happy.

And even with our so-called low rates Goodman, U2 and others use offshore companies to shelter corporate income. However you miss my point, Goodman and the other processor's are going nowhere just like Kerry Group and Glanbia's and the big baby formula producers like Nestle are staying in Ireland it where the product they want is. If they have to pay a few cent extra they will pass it on to there customers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭jfh

Lads, I sent off a lmxaa bullock few days, 26 months, graded r=5-, would that be because he was too fat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

jfh wrote: »
    Lads, I sent off a lmxaa bullock few days, 26 months, graded r=5-, would that be because he was too fat?

Yeah 4+ in fat is the limit for the so called in spec payment.
    He was good and fat alrite.
    Did they cut your payment?

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah 4+ in fat is the limit for the so called in spec payment.
    He was good and fat alrite.
    Did they cut your payment?

They sure did, 3.36 per kilo

jfh wrote: »
    They sure did, 3.36 per kilo

He should have gone a month ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

At least a month sooner i suppose. AA crosses don’t be long getting fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

wrangler wrote: »
    They wouldn't stay in the country if it was any different....... where would you be then.
    Same with price legislation , survival of the fittest is the way it has to be , other wise it'd be like the Civil service..... just because it's surviving doesn't mean it'd work in the real world

Survival of the fittest in beef production terms will mean 90% of beef farmers in Ireland are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭kk.man

I invite you to look up Kavanagh meats Instagram page. Premium markets in the uk want marbled grass fed Angus Hereford Galloway shorthorn ect

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBoAt74nf08/?igshid=1wuhd2omoi1pj
    Those carcasses have a fair bit of fat on them.

Click on the buyers that comment ect.
    I'm not on twitter but I presume those to be native breeds.

Not twitter, instagram, but yes britisle breeds that lay down fat and marble the beef suit the British palate. Fat and marbling should not be getting penalised.

I'm not a bad judge of a carcass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Good loser

There’s no doubt we are price takers at farm level but the the correlation between weekly kill, currency fluctuation and market demand does not directly link to beef price, . How can every processor have identical processing costs and how is there none pushing for increasing output, improving efficiencies and ousting their competitors? Week on week perfect uniformity in pricing for the vast majority of cattle which are coming from hobby sized farmers. :D

A cartel if you will...

8 families control a billion euro industry.

We aren’t on our own with this situation but this is interesting
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-15/u-s-meat-giants-face-biggest-attack-in-century-from-trump-probe?fbclid=IwAR23rlf3dQccaQ94LpSgvyYN4Z5pOOuwvHm-uMIgMjSvNxPbvZ7j6BEhxgI

You might also have seen in the IFJ this week where Dawn bought 49% of the second largest beef factory in France for €5 million in 2015.

This company had a turnover of €922m and operating losses of almost €18m - probably in 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭memorystick

After getting offered €2 per kg live for AA bullocks. Not massive cattle and more dairy type than beef. They’re getting near fit to kill. Is that a good price?

After getting offered €2 per kg live for AA bullocks. Not massive cattle and more dairy type than beef. They’re getting near fit to kill. Is that a good price?

What’s your factory quoting?

What’s your factory quoting?

I’ve a mixed bag. The agent wouldn’t as they’re not all fit. These are getting meal since the first week of May.

Where are they being weighted. An adult animal will make wee or dung of 30-40kgs in a day...... Or on a truck journey. After doing that there KO will be 55%. If that happens its 3.63/kg DW.

Slava Ukrainii

Where are they being weighted. An adult animal will make wee or dung of 30-40kgs in a day...... Or on a truck journey. After doing that there KO will be 55%. If that happens its 3.63/kg DW.

They’d be on weight bridge in about 50 minutes from loading.

• Advertisement

They’d be on weight bridge in about 50 minutes from loading.

They lose most of it in that first 30-40 minutes of s journey. Having said that if you need to sell and cannot carry to finish it's a good price. But Zi would not be afraid to hold and fully finish cattle at present

Slava Ukrainii

They lose most of it in that first 30-40 minutes of s journey. Having said that if you need to sell and cannot carry to finish it's a good price. But Zi would not be afraid to hold and fully finish cattle at present

I lock them in every morning for an hour so they can eat as much meal as they can. In about 2 weeks they’ll be up to €150 per head cost on meal. I think after 2 months they should be as good as they’re going to be. Sick to the hole of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

I lock them in every morning for an hour so they can eat as much meal as they can. In about 2 weeks they’ll be up to €150 per head cost on meal. I think after 2 months they should be as good as they’re going to be. Sick to the hole of it.

At 250/t that's 7kg/day there eating for 12 weeks, had u no grass? Feed 800kg cattle here for 6 weeks at 5kg/head and they doing good

At 250/t that's 7kg/day there eating for 12 weeks, had u no grass? Feed 800kg cattle here for 6 weeks at 5kg/head and they doing good

Grass got tight very quick. They’re big aul raw Fr with a dozen AA and HRx. The meal is a better buy than manure this year.

I’ve a mixed bag. The agent wouldn’t as they’re not all fit. These are getting meal since the first week of May.

I’d let them off at that if you were here in the north east. A fair price and the weather is very dry around still with grass burnt in patches.

Grass got tight very quick. They’re big aul raw Fr with a dozen AA and HRx. The meal is a better buy than manure this year.

AA's have an awful tendancy to grow at the same rate whether on ration, grass or silage. As well throwing nut or ration into cattle at grass unless there is a lot of fiber is a waste. They will just scutter it out. Did you dose them before you started.
    I betting the FR and Hex have done better than the AA's

Slava Ukrainii

AA's have an awful tendancy to grow at the same rate whether on ration, grass or silage. As well throwing nut or ration into cattle at grass unless there is a lot of fiber is a waste. They will just scutter it out. Did you dose them before you started.
    I betting the FR and Hex have done better than the AA's

The Fr are horsing on the weight. Their sacs don’t look fat but they’re getting fair firm. A couple of whorés in it. These dairy stock would test a lad.

The Fr are horsing on the weight. Their sacs don’t look fat but they’re getting fair firm. A couple of whorés in it. These dairy stock would test a lad.

It nothing to do with dairy stick. The big raw Fr is pure dairy stick. It's the AA breeding. I had 8 suckler bred ones last autumn, on good grass and nuts. They just trundled along in with them was a single dairy cross one he outweigh them by 45 kgs DW across the average and a HE heifer was only 10-15 kgs behind them.

I have a belted Galloway in a finishing bunch at present he doing no better than when on silage inside in the shed during the winter but he muching enough at the trough

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

It nothing to do with dairy stick. The big raw Fr is pure dairy stick. It's the AA breeding. I had 8 suckler bred ones last autumn, on good grass and nuts. They just trundled along in with them was a single dairy cross one he outweigh them by 45 kgs DW across the average and a HE heifer was only 10-15 kgs behind them.

I have a belted Galloway in a finishing bunch at present he doing no better than when on silage inside in the shed during the winter but he muching enough at the trough

Moral of the story....at current beef price it doesn't pay to feed high levels of meal to anything other than a high converting continental.

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Moral of the story....at current beef price it doesn't pay to feed high levels of meal to anything

Corrected that for you

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Corrected that for you

I had 2 aax dairy kill 422kg o= 3+ & 413kg R- 3= a few weeks back. Got a grain of meal last 12 weeks. Only cost 530 last March 12 months as yearlings.

I had 2 aax dairy kill 422kg o= 3+ & 413kg R- 3= a few weeks back. Got a grain of meal last 12 weeks. Only cost 530 last March 12 months as yearlings.

Yes you will get good ones. But in general there is a lot of very low weight gain AA around. I generally end up buying cattle in bunches the difference between the best and worst in a bunch is often over 200 euro and it usually the last one out that leaves the least

In general you will find more low weight gain AA's in a mart than you will see good ones.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Dickie10

12 weeks of meal? thats 3 months thats nearly winter finshing. meal for a month maybe max

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Moral of the story....at current beef price it doesn't pay to feed high levels of meal to anything other than a high converting continental.

I think at current beef prices you can’t afford not to feed meal at least a minimum of 6 weeks before you kill them

Dickie10 wrote: »
    12 weeks of meal? thats 3 months thats nearly winter finshing. meal for a month maybe max

12 weeks of 2kg not 10kg :)

No big willy waving needed here we all know your a millionaire!
    :D
    That is some thrive! Was there a bit of bull left in them?

No, but maybe got lost a while in the rushes before registered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭valtra2

Hi could anyone give me a estimate of the price of a 1000kg bull 9 year old limousine and in good condition. Tia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

valtra2 wrote: »
    Hi could anyone give me a estimate of the price of a 1000kg bull 9 year old limousine and in good condition. Tia

Local factory here quoted €2:40 this week for r grade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭valtra2

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Local factory here quoted €2:40 this week for r grade.

So about 1200. Cheers

• Advertisement

So about 1200. Cheers

I say a bit more than that. If he's 1000 kgs you expect a mature bull to kill 550-570 kgs. If he grades U will be make extra 1250-1400 euro

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

If he's a fairly tight gutted fleshy bull I'd be expecting €1400-1500 going by the mart trade locally. There was a 14 year old gutty type CH store bull 900kg made €1220 in the mart last week and he'd need more feeding. If your lad is near fit to kill I'd show him in the mart as there seems to be more appetite in the live trade for fleshy cow's and bulls then the factory quotes would suggest.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057410840/316

I put up a photo of this buck on mart price tracker last month
    28mts 7 days O- 4- 445kg DW

Duke92 wrote: »
    Yes it’s supply and demand
    Milk the same there nearly all around a 1/2 a cent difference in price
    Grain the same never much more than a few euro difference in price
    That is life

Just another follow up below are the milk prices announced for May. Difference between the highest price milk processor and the lowest is nearly 4c/L. That equivalent to 12.5% or about 45c/kg for prime beef. The difference between the lowest major processor's (Glanbia also the lowest overall) and the highest major processor (Kerry so both MN) is nearly 2c/L or over 20c/ L.

When was the last time there was more than a 5c/ kg difference in major processor prices. When did they ever quote out of line for even a specific type of cattle such as AA or heifers. The highest priced milk processor is a small niche processor there is nothing similar in beef

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/milk-price-tracker-2020-find-out-what-each-co-op-payed-its-suppliers-for-mays-milk/

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Just another follow up below are the milk prices announced for May. Difference between the highest price milk processor and the lowest is nearly 4c/L. That equivalent to 12.5% or about 45c/kg for prime beef. The difference between the lowest major processor's (Glanbia also the lowest overall) and the highest major processor (Kerry so both MN) is nearly 2c/L or over 20c/ L.

When was the last time there was more than a 5c/ kg difference in major processor prices. When did they ever quote out of line for even a specific type of cattle such as AA or heifers. The highest priced milk processor is a small niche processor there is nothing similar in beef

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/milk-price-tracker-2020-find-out-what-each-co-op-payed-its-suppliers-for-mays-milk/

Agreed but you're comparing apples and oranges (or beef and milk)!

One needs a contract with a processor and with a short shelf life can't be hauled to the other side of the country for a few cent.

If you were comparing with grain it would be a (slightly) better comparison.

Are they up or down? Scarce?

• Advertisement

Not like with like some have liquid milk contracts. different coops pay share holders in different why’s so pay more on milk some give discounts on feed and fert some pay a top up
    Some pay for milk being collected some don’t there’s not a cent in different when worked out and you can’t load up your lorry of milk and go to west cork from Wexford
    All profits from coops are ment to go back to the farmers

Anyway I wouldn’t begrudge the hard working dairy farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Gman1987

Are they up or down? Scarce?

Killed heifers this week @ €3.60/kg base in the Midlands, being told they are same for next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Gman1987 wrote: »
    Killed heifers this week @ €3.60/kg base in the Midlands, being told they are same for next week

Getting 3.60 for a load of bullocks Monday too.
    Heifers have been 10cent more than bullocks for the last number of years. Why are they back to the same as bullocks now or is it that bullocks have increased 10 cent to match heifers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Milk is more mobile than you think. Strathroy move milk all over the place. Arrabawn collect from Cork to Mayo.

Water John wrote: »
    Milk is more mobile than you think. Strathroy move milk all over the place. Arrabawn collect from Cork to Mayo.

I don’t think to many would want to be going there if they had more choice 2 of the worst payers for milk

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement