Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Duke92 wrote: »
    Not like with like some have liquid milk contracts. different coops pay share holders in different why’s so pay more on milk some give discounts on feed and fert some pay a top up
    Some pay for milk being collected some don’t there’s not a cent in different when worked out and you can’t load up your lorry of milk and go to west cork from Wexford
    All profits from coops are ment to go back to the farmers

Anyway I wouldn’t begrudge the hard working dairy farmers

First of all not all processor's are co-ops. Two of the three biggest are MN. The difference between them are 2c/L or over 30c/kg in beef terms. Now Glanbia run a bonus scheme based on purchases. Just to put reality on it 20 euro a ton on rations for a farmer feeding 700 kgs/ cow to animals doing 6kL is less than a quarter of a cent in milk prices so it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. The real rub the is at present Kerry are paying a bonus to match the best milk price in the country. The bonus that the higher paying West Cork co-ops pay is considered part of the price for Kerry to match. The 2c/L difference between them will more than likely stretch out as the bonuses come into play. Along with that Kerry are allowing you to buy you inputs at the cheapest source.

Over the last few weeks British and EU beef prices have climbed.yet no Irish processor's has broken ranks

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

First of all not all processor's are co-ops. Two of the three biggest are MN. The difference between them are 2c/L or over 30c/kg in beef terms. Now Glanbia run a bonus scheme based on purchases. Just to put reality on it 20 euro a ton on rations for a farmer feeding 700 kgs/ cow to animals doing 6kL is less than a quarter of a cent in milk prices so it's robbing Peter to pay Paul. The real rub the is at present Kerry are paying a bonus to match the best milk price in the country. The bonus that the higher paying West Cork co-ops pay is considered part of the price for Kerry to match. The 2c/L difference between them will more than likely stretch out as the bonuses come into play. Along with that Kerry are allowing you to buy you inputs at the cheapest source.

Over the last few weeks British and EU beef prices have climbed.yet no Irish processor's has broken ranks

Do not be derailing this Beef price tracker with Bull shlt about Milk price .In fact Kerry farmer have had to fight tooth and nail to get leading milk price and it still not concluded with it finishing up in court maybe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

Jjameson wrote: »
    :D well it depends on if your a glass half empty or glass half full typ person or have bullocks or heifers to sell!

Sure no doubt I'm been told that bullocks and heifers are the same now at €3.60/kg, no premium being paid on heifers.... Anyone else killing heifers receiving a higher quote? Cattle appear to be killing out well this year. Up about 34kg deadweight each and killed 2 months earlier, AA/HE all grass diet.

cute geoge wrote: »
    Do not be derailing this Beef price tracker with Bull shlt about Milk price .In fact Kerry farmer have had to fight tooth and nail to get leading milk price and it still not concluded with it finishing up in court maybe!!

I afraid some lads do not like the truth. Anyway very little to track at present. They are all on 3.6/kg for steers and heifers for ordinary Joe soaps. Unless they come under external pressure they will not be raising there quotes. Of course we will hear all the BS about increased kill but this is as much factory demand as cattle being fit. They are taking everything they can get

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

why would all the milk processors not come together in secret and agree to cut milk by say 10-15 cent a litre? would it not be in all their intrests? and very little dairy farmers could do about it. surely the milk processors see the way farmers are powerless when beef factories do this and follow suit. Now that quotas are gone the milk supply is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dickie10 wrote: »
    why would all the milk processors not come together in secret and agree to cut milk by say 10-15 cent a litre? would it not be in all their intrests? and very little dairy farmers could do about it. surely the milk processors see the way farmers are powerless when beef factories do this and follow suit. Now that quotas are gone the milk supply is there.

Bit if a differnce between private companies vs cooperatives

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

Cooperative so farmer owned so they all want to pay the best price. Ornua sell a good bit of the dairy products on behalf of the cooperatives, they publish there own "Purchase price index" which shows what they are paying for the product, this can be converted to a cent per litre return to the farmer. If the Ornua PPI is higher than what a coop is paying then their is questions to be asked. The dairy industry is a long way ahead of the beef industry but their is still huge inefficiencies there such as coops competing against each other and Ornua when it comes to selling the goods, the only one to take the hit from this racket is the farmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

They could however the coop structure prevents it happening. It has and did happen in the uk as they have private companies.
    The Irish processors have farmer shareholders to answer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Half a load (steers) gone this morning @3.60 base - Midlands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

dryan wrote: »
    Half a load (steers) gone this morning @3.60 base - Midlands

Any mention of weight restrictions or haulage paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Dunedin wrote: »
    Any mention of weight restrictions or haulage paid?

No Haulage unfortunately.
    Mix of Angus and limos.
    Bonus will be paid on Angus under 380kg only.

430kg weight restriction applied also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭memorystick

Is 3.50 flat a good price for O and P bullocks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Is 3.50 flat a good price for O and P bullocks?

If there was more Ps than good Os yes

That’s what I was thinking. Well fed but poor confirmation cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

epfff wrote: »
    If there was more Ps than good Os yes

It's good anyway.
    O- are 348c at base 360c. That is u/a and FS3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Had a call from the factory with the fella I deal with. Looking for cattle obviously. Now that hasn’t happened in a very long time. Prices are unjustifiably low. Holding on for the increase

If you have the grass, suitable cattle that are still putting up the Kgs and the QA isn’t important in terms of age left or plain cattle that don’t benefit from trying to hit the mark then it’s worth a gamble. Numbers off grass seem to be a month ahead as far as I can see around here.
    There may be a little bounce the right way. But they aren’t going to pull them to ****e like last year unless they have a death wish.

Yes, I agree, sent off 30 start of last month,off grass never before that happened with me. Growth has been fantastic with animal and weather this year.

Good loser wrote: »
    It's good anyway.
    O- are 348c at base 360c. That is u/a and FS3.

What about the good Os?

epfff wrote: »
    What about the good Os?

O= are 3.62,
    O+are 3.68

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

I had had two heifers in Carnaross yesterday, one of which was well over age she was sick last year and thought she would pine away, but i turned her around after a few months with a mix of rumen fluke dose, minerals dose , copper bolus and wormer along with 30 mls of Jeyes Fluid and all manner of old wives tales so i imagined i would be cut to cow price in factory shes jan 17 born, big white charrollais, gave her a lick of meal the last 2 weeks and she looked good weighed in at 580kg, well fleshed but needs meal for a month to get into 2+ fat. she only made €1090. the other heeifer i sent was just a sample to see the market price, 530kg €1080. yellow charrollais already fat to kill.

to be honest i was very disapointed with that price, i will finish the rest of the heifers , starting upping the meal into them this week.

If you have the grass, suitable cattle that are still putting up the Kgs and the QA isn’t important in terms of age left or plain cattle that don’t benefit from trying to hit the mark then it’s worth a gamble. Numbers off grass seem to be a month ahead as far as I can see around here.
    There may be a little bounce the right way. But they aren’t going to pull them to ****e like last year unless they have a death wish.

Mine have over half a ton each of ration. Whatever they are they are. Sick to the hole of working for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Mine have over half a ton each of ration. Whatever they are they are. Sick to the hole of working for nothing.

I see the next tractor protest is 25th july.............. take from that what you will.

wrangler wrote: »
    I see the next tractor protest is 25th july.............. take from that what you will.

A FF and a Green will save us.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I had had two heifers in Carnaross yesterday, one of which was well over age she was sick last year and thought she would pine away, but i turned her around after a few months with a mix of rumen fluke dose, minerals dose , copper bolus and wormer along with 30 mls of Jeyes Fluid and all manner of old wives tales so i imagined i would be cut to cow price in factory shes jan 17 born, big white charrollais, gave her a lick of meal the last 2 weeks and she looked good weighed in at 580kg, well fleshed but needs meal for a month to get into 2+ fat. she only made €1090. the other heeifer i sent was just a sample to see the market price, 530kg €1080. yellow charrollais already fat to kill.

It wasn't a bad price as such for the first heifer considering she was gone into a cow/heifer and in need of further feeding. The second price isn't that exciting but she's a handy heifer especially for a CH at that weight and fit to kill. She's more of a butcher's beast imo and there always hit and miss depending on who's around the ring on the day.

I just happened to watch the bullock trade in Carnaross on Monday for a few minutes and anything fleshy seemed a flying trade. Age or weight didn't seem to be a problem once they were factory fit. The few store bullocks I watched going through seemed to be an average enough trade and it seems the same for the heifer trade.

• Advertisement

Both heifers made more or less what they are worth. Older heifer killing 340 kgs(after feeding) at present prices would make 1190. Other heifer would kill about 290 kgs at R+ would make 1130 euro she might struggle to kill that

Slava Ukrainii

O= are 3.62,
    O+are 3.68

That's my point if you were taking 350 and the majority fall into that I wouldn't think you were on a winner.

yeah i suposse , it was a good exercise anyway to see the lie of the land

For all the BS about what happened last year it farmers have to an extent drawn a line in the sand. Processors business is under a microscope and you can see questions being asked about why we are the only country where prices are stagnant at present. However cattle are moving across the border to be slaughtered at over 1K,/week. Irish slaughter numbers are 2-3K/week ahead of this time last year. Underage cattle numbers will get tight at some stage this year.

Ya I be killing stuff that was fit and that you lose bonus's on but cattle that are borderline I be inclined to hold even out in to over 30 months.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭leoch

Can we kill cattle outselves in the north threw say a rep or are they cut as nomad cattle

• Advertisement

leoch wrote: »
    Can we kill cattle outselves in the north threw say a rep or are they cut as nomad cattle

Yes you can however you have to factor in journey time. As well cattle going North have to be unloaded and reloaded for dept inspection AFAIK at an inspection point.

Nobody would be sending them if they were treated as nomads. There are agents that buy for northern factories. I be a bit too far south and do not kill the numbers together to justify it but a neighbor send a load of heifers up about five years ago he was happy but after allowing for extra weight loss and extra carriage ( only partially subsidised ) it only worked out at 15-20/ head exyi

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Yes you can however you have to factor in journey time. As well cattle going North have to be unloaded and reloaded for dept inspection AFAIK at an inspection point.

Nobody would be sending them if they were treated as nomads. There are agents that buy for northern factories. I be a bit too far south and do not kill the numbers together to justify it but a neighbor send a load of heifers up about five years ago he was happy but after allowing for extra weight loss and extra carriage ( only partially subsidised ) it only worked out at 15-20/ head exyi

Still better in his pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Anyone hear of prices for next week? Rise coming apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lexuslad

What live weight would ye want your heifers and bullocks at before send them off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭kk.man

locha wrote: »
    Heard same... could be 10c more next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭morphy87

kk.man wrote: »
    Heard same... could be 10c more next week

Would it be unusual for a rise in July? Why is the rise coming and for how long do you reckon, I reckon they can’t have the price to bad the fall of the year as a lot of lads won’t fill sheds, know a few last year that didn’t and two more this year

morphy87 wrote: »
    Would it be unusual for a rise in July? Why is the rise coming and for how long do you reckon, I reckon they can’t have the price to bad the fall of the year as a lot of lads won’t fill sheds, know a few last year that didn’t and two more this year

July is usually a month where usually you see little movement in prices. Usually processors would have pulled in early mid June and price would be static during July.

However it has happened before.Maybe once every 5-7 years mostly due to stock availability. problem with strong autumn prices is stores can be expensive. If price is strong lads with FS2=/3- cattle are inclined to kill them. So processors end up competing with finishers indirectly,

However confidence in winter finishing is at an all time low. Risk carried by finishers is huge. Critical time is not just the autumn but as harvest of tillage gets underway. Grian prices may be strong this year. The tempetation for lads that have tillage and fattening operations will be to sell grain if prices are strong, as well finisher specalising in straights and using wholecrop may lack confidence to to put 60K of feed in a yard to feed 300 cattle

Another issue is if summer finishers have a better summer than expected they will have money in the pocket to compete at ringside for what may be scarce cattle

Slava Ukrainii

July is usually a month where usually you see little movement in prices. Usually processors would have pulled in early mid June and price would be static during July.

However it has happened before.Maybe once every 5-7 years mostly due to stock availability. problem with strong autumn prices is stores can be expensive. If price is strong lads with FS2=/3- cattle are inclined to kill them. So processors end up competing with finishers indirectly,

However confidence in winter finishing is at an all time low. Risk carried by finishers is huge. Critical time is not just the autumn but as harvest of tillage gets underway. Grian prices may be strong this year. The tempetation for lads that have tillage and fattening operations will be to sell grain if prices are strong, as well finisher specalising in straights and using wholecrop may lack confidence to to put 60K of feed in a yard to feed 300 cattle

Another issue is if summer finishers have a better summer than expected they will have money in the pocket to compete at ringside for what may be scarce cattle

I know what you mean,if lads selling off the grass get a good price they might give a bit extra around the ring around the fall,so price wise where do you think it will settle? Know one big finisher gone rearing freisan heifer calf’s gone out of beef,like what you were saying about tillage know a other big finisher that has a lot of tillage and beet, he told me he is strongly thinking of selling his corn and beet and forgetting about beef

When u say these guys are big finishers how many would they finish

When u say these guys are big finishers how many would they finish

The lads I know that got out and are thinking of getting out they would finish from 350 to 500 animals

• Advertisement

The lads I know that got out and are thinking of getting out they would finish from 350 to 500 animals

Capital costs are horrendous. Winter finishing eats nitrates allowance's. Therefore a lot of lads saw it as a single business. It was attractive to tillage lads. It seemed a good bet, a break crop (beet) that could be used within the farm and a competitive advantage in using home grown grain and straw to finish cattle. As well the nutrient value of slurry the following spring came into play as well.

But costs are horrendous, reduced BPS no longer shelter losses and capital costs versus profit make sad reading over the last two winters. 300 cattle costing 300-350k add in 60-100k+ for total feeding costs to achieve a profit of 20-30k and for the last two years this translated into a loss of 20k+

It seemed to easy to feed these cattle for 3-5 months using machinery that would be parked up for the winter and when the workload was low. But stupid is what stupid dose and some lads will be afraid someone else will make a few bob

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Capital costs are horrendous. Winter finishing eats nitrates allowance's. Therefore a lot of lads saw it as a single business. It was attractive to tillage lads. It seemed a good bet, a break crop (beet) that could be used within the farm and a competitive advantage in using home grown grain and straw to finish cattle. As well the nutrient value of slurry the following spring came into play as well.

But costs are horrendous, reduced BPS no longer shelter losses and capital costs versus profit make sad reading over the last two winters. 300 cattle costing 300-350k add in 60-100k+ for total feeding costs to achieve a profit of 20-30k and for the last two years this translated into a loss of 20k+

It seemed to easy to feed these cattle for 3-5 months using machinery that would be parked up for the winter and when the workload was low. But stupid is what stupid dose and some lads will be afraid someone else will make a few bob

Spot on. I've sold alot more than usual for this day of the year. I'll buy a few back but I don't have the belly for sheds anymore.

And the spring born Jan calves in ‘18 are just starting to hit the 30month deadline so normally in a few weeks the pressure starts to mount on the farmers. It’s a crazy setup as it erodes the only negotiation power the farmer has. Just as the factories intend.

jntsnk wrote: »
    And the spring born Jan calves in ‘18 are just starting to hit the 30month deadline so normally in a few weeks the pressure starts to mount on the farmers. It’s a crazy setup as it erodes the only negotiation power the farmer has. Just as the factories intend.

That’s the big problem with this thirty months,36 would level the playing field

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

We normally finish 300 400 a year ..this year is out last.
    Just buying weanling heifers from here on in winter them on silage and finish off grass next summer.
    I would absolutely love to leave beef completely..but I'm afraid of what could happen in Brussels so keeping numbers up is my thinking for staying in beef.
    As regards buying meal...we have one last batch of 60 friesian Bullock's and we're mealing them to get them gone Ina few weeks.
    Meal purchasing finished after that,sick of it.

Anybody no any lads finishing 1000s..??surly if there is any they would need a signed contract on a guaranteed price before making that kind of commitment...i no one big lad up North of the country finishes that many and more and same number in sheep and sells fert and meal and has a man on road all over ireland full time buying mostly bulls.....employs a good few men feeding etc...big bussiness

Anybody no any lads finishing 1000s..??surly if there is any they would need a signed contract on a guaranteed price before making that kind of commitment...i no one big lad up North of the country finishes that many and more and same number in sheep and sells fert and meal and has a man on road all over ireland full time buying mostly bulls.....employs a good few men feeding etc...big bussiness

I know a few lads killing 500+/ year. These would be lads taking in two boxes of cattle most weeks and 3-4 some weeks.

Yes there are lads on contracts but whereas 5+ years ago regular supplier got a price guarantee nowadays it only a few feedlots killing several thousand a year who slaughter at times supply is tight mostly. Generally most finisher's are carrying the risk themselves. Some that adapt to the system manage away but others ( look at the lads with heavy bulls last spring 12 months) get caught and can lose serious money

Slava Ukrainii

locha wrote: »

well is there a price rise or is it the same as last week

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

well is there a price rise or is it the same as last week

Cows up 10 cent to €3.00 flat for o/p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Who2

I know of two lads killing thousands, neither would let on a whole pile of whether they have contracts or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement