Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Got quoted €3.80/kg and free transport. Being in west cork, transport to anywhere costs a fair bit. No cuts for over age or overweight either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

Got quoted €3.80/kg and free transport. Being in west cork, transport to anywhere costs a fair bit. No cuts for over age or overweight either.

Surprise, surprise!!! As finished cattle start to become less plentiful, all this bullcrap about cuts in price for "non qa cattle, overage cattle and overweight cattle" goes out the window. Any farmer with a fat horse or donkey around the place would want to keep a good eye on it or he might see it on his local supermarket shelf shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

visatorro wrote: »
    3.60 for o = for freisan stock bull killed this week. Under thirty months

older generation rang me last night delighted with this price. just outta the cot and looked at the chegue myself. its 2.70 euro /KG. very sorry for getting excited and posting this am

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Got quoted 3.20 for o grade cows next week anybody get better than this?

Are these fresians or beef cows, also do they have to be over a certain weight?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

blue5000 wrote: »
    Are these fresians or beef cows, also do they have to be over a certain weight?

Friesians. 3.10 for p's. No mention of weight but they are all fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Friesians. 3.10 for p's. No mention of weight but they are all fat.

Usually if they don't kill out something around 260/70kg dead weight they get cut a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

simx wrote: »
    Usually if they don't kill out something around 260/70kg dead weight they get cut a bit

The agents usually quote in lbs, 600, 700 and 800lbs. Which is about 270, 320 and 365 kgs.

The agents usually quote in lbs, 600, 700 and 800lbs. Which is about 270, 320 and 365 kgs.

Looked at docket there, 270 alright, got covered for as low as 262 in last load without deduction though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

simx wrote: »

Cows here usually average 350kg dead and 50/50 o's and p/s.

Cows here usually average 350kg dead and 50/50 o's and p/s.

Big cows there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Talk of a price pull next week. Slaney only killing 2days and no interest in looking..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Willfarman wrote: »
    Talk of a price pull next week. Slaney only killing 2days and no interest in looking..
    I hope they enjoy the holidays after their hard earned year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭mf240

There flushing out the last of the soft sellers before the price rise.

mf240 wrote: »
    There flushing out the last of the soft sellers before the price rise.

Well I'm going to keep letting them on as they come fit. But I'd be a big gom ya see!

Well I'm going to keep letting them on as they come fit. But I'd be a big gom ya see!

Now i didnt say you were a gom :D:D

But factory agents are ruthless. That said if your heavily stocked youve to keep things turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

http://www.agriland.ie/news/questionable-exceptional-beef-grades-necessary-80-export-markets/

Interesting article. Couldn't help think of a certain poster when reading it :|

Now i didnt say you were a gom :D:D

But factory agents are ruthless. That said if your heavily stocked youve to keep things turning.

Ah the cute hoors are counting the cattle and they are gonna clean up when they hit 4.00 in August.. But now I wouldn't be cute! Wait you see what a wet week does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Another thing to be factored in is that the 30000 /week figure may not hold , I would suspect that processor loss of contracts tightening of criteria and retailer inspections following the horsemeat scandal may have reduced this rule of thumb number, opening farmers up to downside risk on beef prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Wanker a mile away from me was one of the biggest involved in the horse meat scandal, he made the rte news and all. Not as much as a slap on the wrist did he get. All his rented land is full of horses agen over the last few weeks, hundreds of the fcukers. What story dose that tell?

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    http://www.agriland.ie/news/questionable-exceptional-beef-grades-necessary-80-export-markets/

Interesting article. Couldn't help think of a certain poster when reading it :|

Had a look and the fcukin popup ad on top of the page is for abp:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

A comment I found on another forum....what do you think;;)

''We have been havin a go at processors and supermarkets for not paying a sustainable price on our beef and sheep products so now I ask the question. Now that wheat and barley etc price is going south are you farmer feed buyers going to pay a sustainable price for it or cash in on the over production and get it as cheap as you can? Just a thought tin hat on and running out the door to do more work''

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

rangler1 wrote: »

''We have been havin a go at processors and supermarkets for not paying a sustainable price on our beef and sheep products so now I ask the question. Now that wheat and barley etc price is going south are you farmer feed buyers going to pay a sustainable price for it or cash in on the over production and get it as cheap as you can? Just a thought tin hat on and running out the door to do more work''

well for the last 2 years there is supposed to be cheap grain around the place but the reality is that I haven't paid any less than €275 a tonne for any meal that I bought recently for my beef stock and I know the grain farmer is getting nowhere near that price for his wheat or barley

the grain farmer is only getting offers of around €140 - 160 for barley off the combine,

its the merchants and mills that are making the money and will always make the money

there is a grain farmer selling rolled barley up the road for €220 a tonne and the farmers buying it off him think they are getting mighty value but the seller is getting on well at that price also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

What is the IFA advising farmers to do?

What is John Dillon going to do at his feedlot?

tanko wrote: »
    What is the IFA advising farmers to do?

What is John Dillon going to do at his feedlot?

We'd always be pushing farm to farm sales, merchants are adding on at least €80/ton for themselves for going through their mill so the farmers might as well have that

The issue with cheap grain is how far it will filter down. Not feasible on most farms to store crimped/treated grain for the amount used. You then have the issue of balancing the grain with straights. When I buy of the millers if I pay 20/ton extra will they pass that back to the grain farmer.

• Advertisement

I know of a tillage farmer who sold off the combine a few years back, he spent months getting his money in dribs and drabs, said never again. Going to crimp some of mine this harvest.

I think there must be scope for small co-op type grain stores for a few farmers to work together drying and mixing their own rations locally.

80 euros a ton for the millers , thats before bad debts, staff, loaders, lorrys, interest, ect ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

So lads what's better then 50 acres of tillage or 50 acres of grass for a drystovk farmer? I know that each farmer is different but what's your opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

So lads what's better then 50 acres of tillage or 50 acres of grass for a drystovk farmer? I know that each farmer is different but what's your opinions?

my opinion is you need a bit of everything

bit of tillage
    bit of drystock
    few sheep
    they complement eachother

80 euros a ton for the millers , thats before bad debts, staff, loaders, lorrys, interest, ect ect.

they need every euro of it, but the opportunity is there for farmers to save it.....it's a lot of money on even 50 ton

• Advertisement

The cheap grain price will filter all the way to the beef processers and retailers but will stop short at the consumer.

they need every euro of it, but the opportunity is there for farmers to save it.....it's a lot of money on even 50 ton

50 ton is a huge amount of grain. specially if you have to make a balanced ration out of it after. You then have to arrange weighting delivery and storage. Storage is the real issue. If you buy 30 ton of barley and crimp it it will cost about 5-7/ton for plastic. At 35% moisture and say you give the farmer 10/ton above green price (150 adjusted to green price 20% moisture) you will have to crimp it another I think 12/ton, and delivery and weighting 10/ton. you will be hitting a price of 165 for grain at 35% moisture. You will have about 5K tied up from delivery on . You now have to balance it with a protein and the only one available in smaller quantites is Soya if not using for finishing you will not need a fibre source. But as buying small quantity of soya it will add anything from 2-5/ton to barley price. This equates to about 168 for barley at 35% moisture or 215/ton for barley at 15% moisture

You buy a ration in general you will have 45 days credit with crimp you will pay up front. Add 3% for money for 8 months or about 5/ton. The biggest is risk if your crimp pit spoils you could have losses in the region of 20% even on a good crimp pit factor in 2-3% losses. Rats are the real issue if they get in you can forget about it. As against that crimp is a great feed as it enters the animal stomach at the right moisture level about 40% moisture is ideal animal diet. However you will need to feed it, it not like putting a barrow or bucket under a meal bin and away you go. More than likely it a barrow you will use. You need to uncover pit ( i used to have a net over front to stop crows attacking it a crow will eat a kg every day I think) knock down amount of grain needed and then shave front of pit to prevent spoilage. Then recover pit.

Last year I was paying 240/ton for a 13% finishing ration and 270/ton for an 18% ration I fed 50/50 to stores with 13%. Will need no finishing ration this year as do not intent to finish cattle. With barley at 140 and other feedstuffs down in price as well I expect to be able to source a good 15% ration for around the price the crimp barley would be costing at 15% moisture,

50 ton is a huge amount of grain. specially if you have to make a balanced ration out of it after. You then have to arrange weighting delivery and storage. Storage is the real issue. If you buy 30 ton of barley and crimp it it will cost about 5-7/ton for plastic. At 35% moisture and say you give the farmer 10/ton above green price (150 adjusted to green price 20% moisture) you will have to crimp it another I think 12/ton, and delivery and weighting 10/ton. you will be hitting a price of 165 for grain at 35% moisture. You will have about 5K tied up from delivery on . You now have to balance it with a protein and the only one available in smaller quantites is Soya if not using for finishing you will not need a fibre source. But as buying small quantity of soya it will add anything from 2-5/ton to barley price. This equates to about 168 for barley at 35% moisture or 215/ton for barley at 15% moisture

You buy a ration in general you will have 45 days credit with crimp you will pay up front. Add 3% for money for 8 months or about 5/ton. The biggest is risk if your crimp pit spoils you could have losses in the region of 20% even on a good crimp pit factor in 2-3% losses. Rats are the real issue if they get in you can forget about it. As against that crimp is a great feed as it enters the animal stomach at the right moisture level about 40% moisture is ideal animal diet. However you will need to feed it, it not like putting a barrow or bucket under a meal bin and away you go. More than likely it a barrow you will use. You need to uncover pit ( i used to have a net over front to stop crows attacking it a crow will eat a kg every day I think) knock down amount of grain needed and then shave front of pit to prevent spoilage. Then recover pit.

Last year I was paying 240/ton for a 13% finishing ration and 270/ton for an 18% ration I fed 50/50 to stores with 13%. Will need no finishing ration this year as do not intent to finish cattle. With barley at 140 and other feedstuffs down in price as well I expect to be able to source a good 15% ration for around the price the crimp barley would be costing at 15% moisture,

Used to aerate barley here to store it, rolled it and mixed it with soya, had a ton meal mixer but mixed it with the loader bucket mostly, fed sheep, cattle with it...... simples.......
    reckoned it was the cheapest way to lose least money feeding cattle

Used to aerate barley here to store it, rolled it and mixed it with soya, had a ton meal mixer but mixed it with the loader bucket mostly, fed sheep, cattle with it...... simples.......
    reckoned it was the cheapest way to lose least money feeding cattle

If you farm full time solution like that are doable. However if not you do not want to be tied up for a few hours Saturday rolling and handling a ton of barley and extra feeding time. You also need a spare shed and method of aerating it. Even at that looking looking at cost it would be at or near 175/ton before extra labour storage and equipment involved. Not too may smaller rollers around. Crimping or Urea treated are the most likely that will be used. Urea treatment looks the most viable due to extra protein in feed and rats find it unpalatable.

If you farm full time solution like that are doable. However if not you do not want to be tied up for a few hours Saturday rolling and handling a ton of barley and extra feeding time. You also need a spare shed and method of aerating it. Even at that looking looking at cost it would be at or near 175/ton before extra labour storage and equipment involved. Not too may smaller rollers around. Crimping or Urea treated are the most likely that will be used. Urea treatment looks the most viable due to extra protein in feed and rats find it unpalatable.

Preview of tomorrows farming independent

''Farmers to be hit on the double with water charges; labelling issue heats up as NI beef plants run "critically short"'' :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Preview of tomorrows farming independent

''Farmers to be hit on the double with water charges; labelling issue heats up as NI beef plants run "critically short"'' :eek:

Was expecting that with the water as far as the beef issue I'm sure a temporary solution will be found for the processors benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Young bullocks moving here at 3.75. Have to go because of age.

More than likely 3.80 next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭micky mouse

how much above the base do under age get,if grade u.

how much above the base do under age get,if grade u.

Assuming under 30mnths, fat score at least 2+, and q assured farm:
    +12c for qa
    +12/18/24c for u-/u=/u+

So for a u= bullock
    375+12+18
    405c/kg

Have a shot of friesan bullocks fit. The price is 4 a kg flat if they want them. Under no pressure to kill. They can go overage if needs be, im not selling less.

• Advertisement

Worst thing about qa is killing beef before its fit. Some cattle here could be fed a lot longer and to their full potential but age restriction won't allow.
    130e average is lost for each animal let go over age. Would be a long time making that up letting them lie there til September incl lower beef price.

More likely to be 3.70,

Have a shot of friesan bullocks fit. The price is 4 a kg flat if they want them. Under no pressure to kill. They can go overage if needs be, im not selling less.
    Worst thing about qa is killing beef before its fit. Some cattle here could be fed a lot longer and to their full potential but age restriction won't allow.
    130e average is lost for each animal let go over age. Would be a long time making that up letting them lie there til September incl lower beef price.

Factory's are really trying to add the pressure on but the kill will struggle to rise over next few weeks I think. Some agents are trying to add on pressure about cattle's age. Friesian are different to other cattle in that in general it is hard to qualify for QA. So the loss/kg across a bunch may be only 12c/kg letting them go overage as opposed 22c/kg across better quality cattle. As well over 3-4 weeks some of these Friesian may actually go up a grade from P+3 to O-4 as an example.

Friesian are slow to over fat which is a huge advantage and at 350kgd the difference between under and over age at 25-40 euro may be made up in weight in 3 weeks

Factory's are really trying to add the pressure on but the kill will struggle to rise over next few weeks I think. Some agents are trying to add on pressure about cattle's age. Friesian are different to other cattle in that in general it is hard to qualify for QA. So the loss/kg across a bunch may be only 12c/kg letting them go overage as opposed 22c/kg across better quality cattle. As well over 3-4 weeks some of these Friesian may actually go up a grade from P+3 to O-4 as an example.

Friesian are slow to over fat which is a huge advantage and at 350kgd the difference between under and over age at 25-40 euro may be made up in weight in 3 weeks

There doesn't seem to any appetite among the processers to increase the the prime cattle kill. Cows are a great trade by comparison.
    If you have friesians of fat score 3 and under 30 months there would be no sense in keeping them gobbling up your autumn wedge of grass.

There doesn't seem to any appetite among the processers to increase the the prime cattle kill. Cows are a great trade by comparison.
    If you have friesians of fat score 3 and under 30 months there would be no sense in keeping them gobbling up your autumn wedge of grass.

I would disagree it is in the next 6-8 weeks that friesians really start to pound on weight. FS3 is a wide score on a FR. A Fr entering FS3- at O- might only kill 48% getting him to the upper end of FS3+ or 4- will bring him up a step on the grid to O= and killout will be 51%. O-3- killing 330kgs in 8 weeks time he may kill
    370kgs.

Factory are at a game this week IMO, if they were confidant of being able to source cattle freely they would have gone for a 10c pull. Rather they are trying it on at 5c. There fear is that is they try a 10c pull and enough farmers hold they will struggle to control market for rest of year. They bought a lot of cattle at 3.8/kg last week a 4 day kill give them a bit of scope to try it on. They will try to back up cattle for next week at that price if they fail we are in the driving seat.

This is a bluff but as farmers will we call the bluff. It is slowly dawning on farmers and even the Joe Healy said it today for rest of year kill will be no higher than last year. It a case of refusing to let vcattle go for less than 4/kg base and work up from there. Numbers in NI are tight as well and UK kill has droped.

Whoa pony whoa

Yes have you got joe healys number because il have a double filled for him at 3.80 never mind 4.00.

They will have them at 3.50 before we will see 4.00 again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭epfff

lots of cattle on the ground here nobody letting them go overage
    cant see any major rise or fall for 6 months
    we are being cut 20 cent for overage I can see that changing with bulls being scarcer in the run to xmass
    but looks like Libya is over for a while with the fighting so that will some bulls their for jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

epfff wrote: »
    lots of cattle on the ground here nobody letting them go overage
    cant see any major rise or fall for 6 months
    we are being cut 20 cent for overage I can see that changing with bulls being scarcer in the run to xmass
    but looks like Libya is over for a while with the fighting so that will some bulls their for jan

what export markets are there for live cattle as it is , the mister of agfence doesn't want to know of problems in ag at minute in case it interferes with his yachting friends imo ( now who in big business owns big yachts in cork )or 2 mile exclusion around Skellig Michael in my opinion whoever organised or is paying for that while star wars may interfere with the gannets, but who cares when its only farmers can be prosecuted by law for wildlife disturbance in my opinion

sandydan wrote: »
    what export markets are there for live cattle as it is , the mister of agfence doesn't want to know of problems in ag at minute in case it interferes with his yachting friends imo ( now who in big business owns big yachts in cork )or 2 mile exclusion around Skellig Michael in my opinion whoever organised or is paying for that while star wars may interfere with the gannets, but who cares when its only farmers can be prosecuted by law for wildlife disturbance in my opinion

So would that be your opinion Dan?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

So would that be your opinion Dan?:D

zilch if factories get their way

BTW whats likely outcome of this Russian embargo being announced in retaliation for EU and US attitude toward their involvement in Ukraine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement