Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Willfarman wrote: »
    They are not looking for prime beef though. Bulls and cows are cheap beef. So 4 euro a kilo before October?:D

exact same for sheep , cull ewes strong trade all year

cheap meat seems to be the order of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭farmernewbie

Are they nice shapes? Bullocks or heifers?

Bullocks, some decent but mainly average enough quality.
    sandydan wrote: »
    you could have got € 950-1000 at 370-400 kg a few weeks ago, certainly saw around 380 and 400 kg hit €1000 in mart
    while at 500 kg they aren't making enough to pay cost difference imo ,i know those were hitting 22-24 mths but at that weight id push to 650 kg min to make reasonable price difference.

They will be around 22mths in November. Would be happy with anything over a €1000. They seem to be dear now not sure if that will hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Bullocks, some decent but mainly average enough quality.

They will be around 22mths in November. Would be happy with anything over a €1000. They seem to be dear now not sure if that will hold.

I would move them now.. You bought as best you could in the marketplace that was against you for the kind of stock you wanted..

I'm not sure what your estimating their weights but if they are 450kgs, and you did them well ayou won't be far under the 950 apiece after selling expenses. Fair middle of the road potential r grade cattle 400kgs up are bringing around 2.05 a kg last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭farmernewbie

I would move them now.. You bought as best you could in the marketplace that was against you for the kind of stock you wanted..

I'm not sure what your estimating their weights but if they are 450kgs, and you did them well ayou won't be far under the 950 apiece after selling expenses. Fair middle of the road potential r grade cattle 400kgs up are bringing around 2.05 a kg last week.

Not in a position to sell at the moment unfort, not sure if I will make the 500kg with them they didn't thrive too well the last month. Some fresh after grass for them next week. So will see how they are doing in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Gman1987

jt65 wrote: »
    exact same for sheep , cull ewes strong trade all year

cheap meat seems to be the order of the day

It can all look the same in the box!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Not in a position to sell at the moment unfort, not sure if I will make the 500kg with them they didn't thrive too well the last month. Some fresh after grass for them next week. So will see how they are doing in 6 months.

i thought 500 kg seemed to where price seemed to slide backward ,until you got them over 650 kg . i dont know why you say your not in position to sell now and its none of my business but id certainly try a few in mart cos i saw a few who brought up to 500kg+ and were bittery dissapointed that they had not sold sooner and that was compounded by seeing 400 kg come within 100 euro a few minutes after. i cant figure out why that 15 month old and 370-450 kg is making price they are.often wondered are factory feedlot behind it to cushion next year, as i said i saw Ch make €620+kg and it defies logic to me whos paying that , must be someone trying to do a little hedging to have supply to drive down prices next year and factories feedlot fits bill imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Roundbale

Sold a blast of 28-29 month old cattle at the end of last week. Some heavy bullocks up between 830 - 860 kgs. Continentals reared from cows and finished on grass, no concentrates.

Got base of 3.70 for the bullocks, Most Rs and some U grades and no QA bonus for any over 400kg carcass, which was nearly all of them.

Heifers were 3.75 and some got QA with that, others over 400 didn't.

That you get nothing more for a U grade now and no QA over 400kgs is focking ridiculous.

Roundbale wrote: »
    Sold a blast of 28-29 month old cattle at the end of last week. Some heavy bullocks up between 830 - 860 kgs. Continentals reared from cows and finished on grass, no concentrates.

Got base of 3.70 for the bullocks, Most Rs and some U grades and no QA bonus for any over 400kg carcass, which was nearly all of them.

That you get nothing more for a U grade now and no QA over 400kgs is focking ridiculous.

You had great cattle by sounds of it. Can I ask what factory? I personally don't have much hitting over 400 kgs under30 months. But I a fiend of mine had a few killed 2 weeks ago in slaney without any cut in QA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

Any harm to ask where did you go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

That is ridiculous. Any word if the IFA are going to do anything about this. Heard Eddie Downey saying at the weekend that the factories should be able to hold prices. This is a joke, they should be roaring for an increase in prices and QA paid to all QA cattle irrespective of age or weight.
    When your only able to get 50cent/kilo more for prime animals than old o grade cows and the IFA thinks its ok then its time for lads to pull out of the IFA and the Quality Assurance. How many consumers (other than farmers) actually look at anything other than price on the package? If 50% of our beef goes to the UK will the consumer not buy it if Quality Assurance isn't on the pack? Doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Can anyone tell us what the finished value of one of these animals is from a sellers point of view? i.e. when a carcass is cut up what is the final sale value of all the cuts added together. If we knew the end figure we could work backword from there. Anyone here with experience of butchering should have an idea.
    I'd say then we would really know how much farmers are being shafted by the retailers and processors.
    You would imagine this kind of analysis is something that the IFA would be doing:cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

As a side issue maybe the IFA should be encouraging people to support their local butcher who probably gives a far better deal to the farmer than you know who

MfMan wrote: »
    Any harm to ask where did you go?

Through agent, eurofarm were the best he could find. Dropping again this week he said

As a side issue maybe the IFA should be encouraging people to support their local butcher who probably gives a far better deal to the farmer than you know who

Fair enough, but 90% of our beef is exported. We can't all sell to 10% of the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

anyone get quotes for cows this week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Can anyone tell us what the finished value of one of these animals is from a sellers point of view? i.e. when a carcass is cut up what is the final sale value of all the cuts added together. If we knew the end figure we could work backword from there. Anyone here with experience of butchering should have an idea.
    I'd say then we would really know how much farmers are being shafted by the retailers and processors.
    You would imagine this kind of analysis is something that the IFA would be doing:cool:.

The last time we priced the meat from a lamb we killed, it worked out at €280 at Tesco prices the week we did it

Through agent, eurofarm were the best he could find. Dropping again this week he said

Euro farm always quote well and cut you in the detail. They love their clipping. This is my personal experience and opinion now so sue me!

Euro farm always quote well and cut you in the detail. They love their clipping. This is my personal experience and opinion now so sue me!

Ya, my hole is still sore. 3 heifers were R with fat of 5 and only got 3.50, you'd swear they were auld cows. This grading is bollocks.

Ya, my hole is still sore. 3 heifers were R with fat of 5 and only got 3.50, you'd swear they were auld cows. This grading is bollocks.

Ah look I feel your pain. It's infuriating. In my experience. You are better to go to a factory that you are happy with grading and stoppages. I meant the clipping literally in euro farm. They charge for clipping clean cattle.

rangler1 wrote: »
    The last time we priced the meat from a lamb we killed, it worked out at €280 at Tesco prices the week we did it

That's unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

That's unreal.

That's what you're up against

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

rangler1 wrote: »

the butcher have to live too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

the butcher have to live too.

I won't argue with you there , everyone has to live .
    Would you have an idea of the costs to the butcher on a lamb to get it all sold ? Or what his margin would be roughly

moy83 wrote: »
    I won't argue with you there , everyone has to live .
    Would you have an idea of the costs to the butcher on a lamb to get it all sold ? Or what his margin would be roughly

a lamb coming in at 120.he would roughly make 320 going out over the counter,but then when you take out all costs you might have 100 out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sound like great cattle is right. Loved to have seen a few pics of them. Especially heifers going over the 400kg carcass @<30mths. They must have been elephants.

a lamb coming in at 120.he would roughly make 320 going out over the counter,but then when you take out all costs you might have 100 out of him.

Christ, you make 100 after probably 3 weeks of buying him where as the farmer has him for months and probably lucky to make 30 quid. Not having a go at you and thanks for your honesty. What would you make on a heifer that kills out at 350 KGS?

Muckit wrote: »
    Sound like great cattle is right. Loved to have seen a few pics of them. Especially heifers going over the 400kg carcass @<30mths. They must have been elephants.

I'll dig some up and fire them into the photos thread. They didn't look massive mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Thats a fair bit better than the boy that reared him would make out of him

Christ, you make 100 after probably 3 weeks of buying him where as the farmer has him for months and probably lucky to make 30 quid. Not having a go at you and thanks for your honesty. What would you make on a heifer that kills out at 350 KGS?

we don't kill them that heavy around the 220 to 240 kg dw ,the cuts of meat are too big after that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭amacca

moy83 wrote: »
    Thats a fair bit better than the boy that reared him would make out of him

Presumably thats just one butchers shop…(I don't think I begrudge an independent business that supplies a quality product a fair price for it, even a bit of a premium) …. Its monopolies/kartels that are the problem…..imagine what supermarket chains and the processors etc are making out of the animal……supermarkets probably getting it cheaper - dividing it up into even smaller portions and selling it dearer overall….I think this country is one of telcos most profitable markets by far per head of population - the unjustifiably creamed all round them during our bubble as well.

People have been and still are being taken for a ride in this country in so many areas/walks of life.

• Advertisement

amacca wrote: »
    Presumably thats just one butchers shop…(I don't think I begrudge an independent business that supplies a quality product a fair price for it) …. Its monopolies/kartels that are the problem…..imagine what supermarket chains and the processors etc are making out of the animal……supermarkets probably getting it cheaper - dividing it up into even smaller portions and selling it dearer overall….I think this country is one of telcos most profitable markets by far per head of population - the unjustifiably creamed all round them during our bubble as well.

People have been and still are being taken for a ride in this country in so many areas/walks of life.
    At least you can see the stock we kill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

simx wrote: »
    anyone get quotes for cows this week?

2.70 kg assume its Os, that usual grade opting to keep till after Xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Everyone's experience is different. However we find Euro Farm to be pretty fair as long as you don't go over + fat score. To be honest they stand by the prices they quote unlike some other factories in the East and Midlands. Also they treated us fairly this Spring when nobody else wanted to entertain us with our FR bulls. At least they were prepared to discuss prices unlike some of the other 3 factories that we regularly deal with who did not want to know us at the time.

sandydan wrote: »
    2.70 kg assume its Os, that usual grade opting to keep till after Xmas

Got 3.20 and 3.10 for o's and p's last week

Base price wrote: »
    Everyone's experience is different. However we find Euro Farm to be pretty fair as long as you don't go over + fat score. To be honest they stand by the prices they quote unlike some other factories in the East and Midlands. Also they treated us fairly this Spring when nobody else wanted to entertain us with our FR bulls. At least they were prepared to discuss prices unlike some of the other 3 factories that we regularly deal with who did not want to know us at the time.

Well two places I will NEVER deal with again are euro farm and Dunbia. They would quote 5 or 10 cent better than other places
    Then R grade cattle turn into O+. 5score fats appear.. And if you examine the stoppages you find your clean cattle require clipping at your expense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I'll dig some up and fire them into the photos thread. They didn't look massive mind.

Did ya find them photos

I said wrote: »
    Did ya find them photos

Have for 2,of the bullocks and 1,of the heifers, she killed out at 380, nome of the bigger ones. Will put them up tomorrow.

Edit: this place won't let me post pictures.

What's this weeks quote for steers?

Have for 2,of the bullocks and 1,of the heifers, she killed out at 380, nome of the bigger ones. Will put them up tomorrow.

Have ya enough posts to be allowed put up photos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I think you have to have 50 posts before you can post a picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭locha

Quoted the following for steers this week

3.50 for overage flat
    3.60 base underage

locha wrote: »

3.50 for overage flat
    3.60 base underage
    Seems to be getting worse. So possibly for a fr steer under 30 months grading o- knock anything from 24-30 off base price (depending on FS) and your left with 3.30-3.36. You can get that for a 10 year old cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Seems to be getting worse. So possibly for a fr steer under 30 months grading o- knock anything from 24-30 off base price (depending on FS) and your left with 3.30-3.36. You can get that for a 10 year old cow.

I be letting Freisians go overage at that. You will pick up a grade on most in 8 weeks as they go from fatscore 3- to 4- if not two. If you have any that grade P= they will really cruify you.

locha wrote: »

3.50 for overage flat
    3.60 base underage

Where is that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

3.60 base for steers Kepak Athleague.

• Advertisement

Stores were off the wall in Enniscorthy today. Heaps of grass it appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Stores were off the wall in Enniscorthy today. Heaps of grass it appears.

Didn't bother go down, many cows in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

I saw a couple of u grade continental cows over 700kgs making €2.03/kg today. Does anyone know where these cows are ending up?

simx wrote: »
    Didn't bother go down, many cows in it?

Only seen a few. Good fleshy fr cow 610kgs €790. Holstein Cow same man 630 kgs €840. She was 09 so maybe lad hoped she'd fatten. Big Holstein stockbull 850kg €1040. A superb big sim cow something over 800kgs something over 1400 in money.. Belonged to a local town councillor. More bidders than were cattle. I got nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

Only seen a few. Good fleshy fr cow 610kgs €790. Holstein Cow same man 630 kgs €840. She was 09 so maybe lad hoped she'd fatten. Big Holstein stockbull 850kg €1040. A superb big sim cow something over 800kgs something over 1400 in money.. Belonged to a local town councillor. More bidders than were cattle. I got nothing.

how much were 2013 yellow chx stores going?? bout 550kg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement