Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

restive wrote: »
    Sorry; What i meant was has they factories stopped penalising for carcasses greater than 400kg?

Meant ta quote rangler my bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

rangler1 wrote: »
    Factories apparently have done their best to stop the new label
    Tullamore advertised they'd be there and lads seem to have done alright

suppose Tesco helped as well

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

restive wrote: »
    Sorry; What i meant was has they factories stopped penalising for carcasses greater than 400kg?

yes you should be let upto 450kg before being cut

they aren't as fussy as before, when beef becomes scarce they will take cattle the size of elephants without a penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 15 heavysteer

here's hoping!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

heavysteer wrote: »
    here's hoping!!

What ya hoping for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Have a few fit to go will take my chance at the mart, at 3.60 this morning quotes from factory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

I said wrote: »
    Have a few fit to go will take my chance at the mart, at 3.60 this morning quotes from factory

good trade for stores in carlow today anyway, and calves were mad altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

simx wrote: »

What make and price were calves simx

dzer2 wrote: »
    What make and price were calves simx

wasnt there the whole sale but seen black aa bulls making 300, fr bulls making 150/160 red whitehead strong calf/runner making 450

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

This is a bit out of focus but did any of ye hear of an A.A bull 18 months getting a fatscore of 1 ??!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

davidk1394 wrote: »
    This is a bit out of focus but did any of ye hear of an A.A bull 18 months getting a fatscore of 1 ??!

If he had not been fed yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Yep bull needs 70 days+of hard feeding
    The plus depends on breed etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Are you a dealer simx? You seen to be at a lot of marts. Any FR bullocks there.

Feckthis wrote: »
    Are you a dealer simx? You seen to be at a lot of marts. Any FR bullocks there.

Not a dealer, do be in 2/3 marts a week usually, yeah nice few there today, not too bad a trade, cont. stores on fire

We fed him for 3 months solid on ad lib meal on straw along with 6 others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

I dont think its possible to get a fat score of one on an angus after that feeding. Id ring up and ask them what the story is. What was his breeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Was he purebred AA or a AAX, what carcase weight was he?

mf240 wrote: »
    I dont think its possible to get a fat score of one on an angus after that feeding. Id ring up and ask them what the story is. What was his breeding?
    AAx bull out of a britsh freisab cow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Ahhh no he wasn't. Got caught with one of them a couple of years ago. Jex. Ended up in the freezer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Not a hope he was a one. Very lean belgian blues or a thin store with no feed maybe but sounds like someone made a mistake. What fat score were tge others. What grade and weight was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

Not a dealer, do be in 2/3 marts a week usually, yeah nice few there today, not too bad a trade, cont. stores on fire

I like I like! So what kinda prices you you be looking at for 2012 cont bullocks average off 590 kgs you reckon?

mf240 wrote: »
    Not a hope he was a one. Very lean belgian blues or a thin store with no feed maybe but sounds like someone made a mistake. What fat score were tge others. What grade and weight was he?

He was a R= not sure of the weight

massey265 wrote: »
    I like I like! So what kinda prices you you be looking at for 2012 cont bullocks average off 590 kgs you reckon?

12s wouldnt be as hot, 1100/1150 maybe, 2013 stores more wanted, bought a 12 ch blk in kk circa 70/80 days ago 590kg for 1010e, killed today and came into 1300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

wasnt there the whole sale but seen black aa bulls making 300, fr bulls making 150/160 red whitehead strong calf/runner making 450

And there we were blaming the factories for the fact there is no money to be made in beef :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

12s wouldnt be as hot, 1100/1150 maybe, 2013 stores more wanted, bought a 12 ch blk in kk circa 70/80 days ago 590kg for 1010e, killed today and came into 1300

Any meal in him simx?

• Advertisement

Yeah that's around I was thinking, you done rightly wit him, you feed him since you bought him? The older bullocks price doesn't grow wit age. . .

Yeah that's around I was thinking, you done rightly wit him, you feed him since you bought him? The older bullocks price doesn't grow wit age. . .

there will be plenty to take away from him ha, would say he ate no more than 35e worth of nuts, probably should have gotten more, its a fact, seen 2 orange ch blks born in 13 sold today 412kg make 1070e, doesnt make sense at all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

there will be plenty to take away from him ha, would say he ate no more than 35e worth of nuts, probably should have gotten more, its a fact, seen 2 orange ch blks born in 13 sold today 412kg make 1070e, doesnt make sense at all

Ya done well, fair play. Was he a plain type? When was he 30 months? Seems ya bought him awful cheap.

Have a few to go in a month or two to mart, ch around 500kg. Will be hoping for €1050.

Makes it even better. Have two orange 2013 char myself be nice to get that for them.

AP2014 wrote: »
    Ya done well, fair play. Was he a plain type? When was he 30 months? Seems ya bought him awful cheap.

Have a few to go in a month or two to mart, ch around 500kg. Will be hoping for €1050.

no he wasnt too bad tbh, had stumps of horns and was later on in sale so limited buyers around and not willing to go the distance i suppose, wouldnt of been 30 months for another 3 weeks or so

• Advertisement

Makes it even better. Have two orange 2013 char myself be nice to get that for them.

have about 12 lim blks that weight or more nice types only im locked up id chance the mart with a few see how it would go

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Was he overage? What price 3.50 flat?

Was he overage? What price 3.50 flat?

no not overage for another 3 weeks, 3.65

no not overage for another 3 weeks, 3.65

Did you think of feeding him another few weeks?
    Nice buy at that money

Did you think of feeding him another few weeks?
    Nice buy at that money

had another bullock that was going overage this week so just let him on aswell with a heifer and two cows, i dont usually finish blks mainly cows really, probably should of fed on for another couple of weeks alright, no point talking about it and he on a hook now, yeah he was value alright, there would want to be the odd lucky one:rolleyes:

had another bullock that was going overage this week so just let him on aswell with a heifer and two cows, i dont usually finish blks mainly cows really, probably should of fed on for another couple of weeks alright, no point talking about it and he on a hook now, yeah he was value alright, there would want to be the odd lucky one:rolleyes:

Nice work. Have an elderly neighbour has a few 3 year old bullocks to go. Absolute monsters. What base price will he get? Would all the spec changes, penalties etc is there much difference now between overage and underage?

Nice work. Have an elderly neighbour has a few 3 year old bullocks to go. Absolute monsters. What base price will he get? Would all the spec changes, penalties etc is there much difference now between overage and underage?

he will get cut for overage anyway after that i couldnt tell ya, im used to selling cows at a flat price so fairly straightforward compared to selling on the grid, if getting a really bad quote id be inclined to sell in mart

Depends ask agent. A lot of difference between a u grade heavy underage bullock and an overage one. Approx 150e

Depends ask agent. A lot of difference between a u grade heavy underage bullock and an overage one. Approx 150e

I hope he doesn't get screwed. I will see how he gets on. Serious bullocks, never seen anything like the size of them. He got 1900 for a few overage ones last year. Will be interesting to compare.

I hope he doesn't get screwed. I will see how he gets on. Serious bullocks, never seen anything like the size of them. He got 1900 for a few overage ones last year. Will be interesting to compare.

You need every bit of 1900 when he's 3yro plus.
    Had a qa bullock kill 2500e last yr and a qa bullock kill over 560kg dead this year but there again you only hear about the good ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

he will get cut for overage anyway after that i couldnt tell ya, im used to selling cows at a flat price so fairly straightforward compared to selling on the grid, if getting a really bad quote id be inclined to sell in mart

What kind of feeding do you give dry cows? I've a few weaned nearly 3 weeks. First 10 days on bare field. Then grass and 1kg nuts which I increased to 2 kg this morning. Mixed bunch but will all leave at the same time.

You need every bit of 1900 when he's 3yro plus.
    Had a qa bullock kill 2500e last yr and a qa bullock kill over 560kg dead this year but there again you only hear about the good ones

Ya think he got 1900, 2000 and maybe 2100 but not sure how long he had them, at least 3 years i'd say. It's more how much he lost then made I would say. He is a bachelor and not in it for the money I would say.

Jesus 2500 under 30 months? He must have been something else altogether.

I will let ya know how he gets on.

Also when dealing with factories do ye ring around a few agents or generally deal with 1 lad?

just do it wrote: »
    What kind of feeding do you give dry cows? I've a few weaned nearly 3 weeks. First 10 days on bare field. Then grass and 1kg nuts which I increased to 2 kg this morning. Mixed bunch but will all leave at the same time.

2kg should do the finest, but as grass quality is deteriorating from now on and you probably don't want to house maybe 3kg/head, they are cont. cows i presume?

Also when dealing with factories do ye ring around a few agents or generally deal with 1 lad?

Go between two generally, no harm letting an agent know ya do go elsewhere, they might quote you better when they want them bad

2kg should do the finest, but as grass quality is deteriorating from now on and you probably don't want to house maybe 3kg/head, they are cont. cows i presume?

Spot on with what I was thinking. 6 weeks in total?

4 continents with 2 FRx. You could feed those ladies till Christmas and they still wouldn't fatten! They'll go with the others when they're ready

Spot on with what I was thinking. 6 weeks in total?

4 continents with 2 FRx. You could feed those ladies till Christmas and they still wouldn't fatten! They'll go with the others when they're ready

What kind if condition are they in at the minute? Aslong as some bit of flesh let them on, have let off cows with grades ranging from O+3 down to p+2 and same price, selling flat is the only way in my books

What kind if condition are they in at the minute? Aslong as some bit of flesh let them on, have let off cows with grades ranging from O+3 down to p+2 and same price, selling flat is the only way in my books

A mix as some of them were being sucked by a few calves as well as one the cows. That b*tch is for the road too but I've had to separate her as she had one of the dry FRx cows back in milk!

A mix as some of them were being sucked by a few calves as well as one the cows. That b*tch is for the road too but I've had to separate her as she had one of the dry FRx cows back in milk!

Oh ya needn't tell me about those kind if scenarios, am feeding cows at the minute and 3 sucklers with calves in with them, and calves are sucking a couple of the fr culls, not worried as they are still thriving so will be alright, it'll all work out in the end ha

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Using 2kg straight rolled oats here, 200 a ton in bags. They're in with a bunch of heifers and most of the heifers stay away, thin cows used to get oats here before calving so they're used to them, bit unpalatable on their own. That's mainly why heifers stay away.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement