Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

simx wrote: »
    Go between two generally, no harm letting an agent know ya do go elsewhere, they might quote you better when they want them bad

Rang a factory today to see about sending a 27 month char bullock problem is he a bit lame and don't want to take him to mart he quoted me three euros a kg is that the going rate this weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

massey265 wrote: »
    Rang a factory today to see about sending a 27 month char bullock problem is he a bit lame and don't want to take him to mart he quoted me three euros a kg is that the going rate this weather?

Would sound small
    Is that flat?
    Is their flesh on him?
    How lame?
    Should be 360 min onto grid
    If no flesh possiable the flat price of him

epfff wrote: »
    Would sound small
    Is that flat?
    Is their flesh on him?
    How lame?
    Should be 360 min onto grid
    If no flesh possiable the flat price of him
    He never asked weight or anything but no wild flesh on him tho he lame or more stiff since after I bought so I kinda kept him separate from rest to protect him. I also got quoted three euro for 30 month old continentals thought it very bad myself as I never sent cattle to factory before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

He never asked weight or anything but no wild flesh on him tho he lame or more stiff since after I bought so I kinda kept him separate from rest to protect him. I also got quoted three euro for 30 month old continentals thought it very bad myself as I never sent cattle to factory before.

Why mention being lame, just put him through as a regular steer.

Otherwise just asking factory to cut you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

If never asked weight or anything but no wild flesh on him tho he lame or more stiff since after I bought so I kinda kept him separate from rest to protect him. I also got quoted three euro for 30 month old continentals thought it very bad myself as I never sent cattle to factory before.
    Sounds bad to me
    Get second opinion
    But if not fleshed could be price
    They worth more to feed on or mart them

I refused 3.20 Flat for o+p u30 fr few weeks I'll let them go overage hope grade and price improves in 6/8 weeks

• Advertisement

Am just to honest off a guy. . . But it's quoting that for the other bullocks that bothers me more. . Is it cause am not a regular?think the mart suits me best.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cristeoir

If you're not sending cattle in to the factory on a fairly regular basis you would need to be going through an agent or they will absolutely ride you, cattle are a good trade in the mart and I reckon you would do far better there, at least if you're not happy with the price you can take them home again.

cristeoir wrote: »
    If you're not sending cattle in to the factory on a fairly regular basis you would need to be going through an agent or they will absolutely ride you, cattle are a good trade in the mart and I reckon you would do far better there, at least if you're not happy with the price you can take them home again.

He certainly was going too! Yeah least the mart you control it more.

cristeoir wrote: »

Unlikely any man would buy a lame bullock in the ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Dunedin wrote: »
    Unlikely any man would buy a lame bullock in the ring
    theres a lad for everything. many a lad round me made money buying injured or poor animals another wouldnt take.
    i had a blue bull weanling got a bad hurt last year on his way to the mart. i was going to take him home but i said when i was there id run him through and got just shy of e3 a kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

Am just to honest off a guy. . . But it's quoting that for the other bullocks that bothers me more. . Is it cause am not a regular?think the mart suits me best.

That price is bullsh.t I wouldnt except that at all.. for continentals you should be r grade at worst and the base price is on r grades, which is 3.60/ 3.65 at the moment. You might get penalised on fat if under but not by 60 odd cent a kg.. I had factories ask if ill have more cattle in future so always say yes.

And I only started out this year so there is no difference if your a new client or not. Try another factory

Miname wrote: »
    theres a lad for everything. many a lad round me made money buying injured or poor animals another wouldnt take.
    i had a blue bull weanling got a bad hurt last year on his way to the mart. i was going to take him home but i said when i was there id run him through and got just shy of e3 a kg.

Maybe but depends how lame he is which takes me to the question I should have asked first - why would you not treat the bullock, get him right and then sell him.

Only fair on the animal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Dunedin wrote: »
    Maybe but depends how lame he is which takes me to the question I should have asked first - why would you not treat the bullock, get him right and then sell him.

Only fair on the animal too.

3.65 freely available. Ring a local farmer that kills a good few and ask him to give you a number for a decent agent.

I got 314 for a ten year old dairy cow last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

mf240 wrote: »
    3.65 freely available. Ring a local farmer that kills a good few and ask him to give you a number for a decent agent.

I got 314 for a ten year old dairy cow last week.

Got base of 3.65 Monday
    3.15 o grade cow and 3.05 p grade cow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Got 3.15 for o cows last week. What are over age bullocks making at the min?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Just out of curiosity when yee ring the factories do yee have to tell them that your qa to get the bonus or is it automatically done?

Just out of curiosity when yee ring the factories do yee have to tell them that your qa to get the bonus or is it automatically done?

Automatically done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Automatically done

Ah I wondered why he sounded annoyed when I said it every time I call him

Ah I wondered why he sounded annoyed when I said it every time I call him

Haha ya may keep saying it to him anyway when your at it so long :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

3.25 R grade cows
    3.35 U grade cows

And they seem keen to get them

Oh and 2.23 or 80p for stock bulls!!

• Advertisement

ellewood wrote: »
    3.25 R grade cows
    3.35 U grade cows

Oh and 2.23 or 80p for stock bulls!!

You'll get 3.35 for r grades in a few places at the minute, good want on cows alright

You'll get 3.35 for r grades in a few places at the minute, good want on cows alright

Tks, yea seemed keen alright - wanted to kill them today and I only phoned yesterday eve

Were u in kk yesterday ? I heard trade for cattle was very good but didnt hear anything on cows.

Oh and whareabouts is the 3.35 for R's ??

Tks, yea seemed keen alright - wanted to kill them today and I only phoned yesterday eve

Were u in kk yesterday ? I heard trade for cattle was very good but didnt hear anything on cows.

Yeah I was, good trade very small sale, only one ring in operation, 12 cows in it and all a good trade also,

Oh and whareabouts is the 3.35 for R's ??

Kildare anyway, say slaney mightn't be far off that either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭grange mac

Hearing few rumours base price on the up over next few months. Can't buy single animal in Skibb mart, fellas not thinking paying up to 650with weight for charlaois weanlings. Utter madness in my opinion. How can a 320kg animal be worth 950...no matter how good it is.
    But the rumours have all buyers buying forward stores in anticipation of the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

grange mac wrote: »
    Hearing few rumours base price on the up over next few months. Can't buy single animal in Skibb mart, fellas not thinking paying up to 650with weight for charlaois weanlings. Utter madness in my opinion. How can a 320kg animal be worth 950...no matter how good it is.
    But the rumours have all buyers buying forward stores in anticipation of the next few months.

€4 /kg base for xmas would be nice. Santa might come:-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Robson99 wrote: »
    €4 /kg base for xmas would be nice. Santa might come:-)

€4 /kg base is still below 'liveable wage' if we are to believe the most reliable independant analysis which was pitching for a price circa €4.33 to make it worth the time|investment

€4 /kg base is still below 'liveable wage' if we are to believe the most reliable independant analysis which was pitching for a price circa €4.33 to make it worth the time|investment

Its a hell of a lot better than €3.60. Its hard to see it going as far as €4.30

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

grange mac wrote: »

The usual put out the rumour so winter finishers will fill sheds

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Helpmefarm

Ya normally buy char heifers wealings but starting to think is there much point as anything decent is at least 850 and sold forward stores for 1100 avg it don't leave much margin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Robson99 wrote: »
    Its a hell of a lot better than €3.60. Its hard to see it going as far as €4.30

If we (farmers) could all stick together we could achieve 4.30 in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Helpmefarm

Cavanjack wrote: »

But WE wont

Cant see either happening anytime soon

Was talking to Slaney rep at the ploughing and he said probably 3.80 base for xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

No. Nor should we try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Thats the problem in a lot of walks of life

Unfortunately people don't stick together…from the I'm all right jacks to those who want to bury their heads to those that are not willing to make sacrifices to those that can't to those that may not think its the right thing to do anyway its difficult to get any people never mind farmers to stick together

Its harder when a lot of the organisations that represent people seem have been slowly subverted by controlling their leaders (imo by making them part of the system with bribes in the form of cushy board positions etc)

It makes it hard to stand up and do what you think is right when you're fairly sure you'll be in the minority if not alone and it will do you no good at best and end up having negative consequences at worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

3.25 R grade cows
    3.35 U grade cows

I sold a 6 year old ch x cow on Saturday 860kg E1475, straight out of the field and rearing a calf now my question is

she is an R, 860kg x 53% kill out = 455.8kg x 3.35 = E1526 before deductions is 53% about right.. she had huge frame to carry more weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Bodacious wrote: »
    3.25 R grade cows
    3.35 U grade cows

I sold a 6 year old ch x cow on Saturday 860kg E1475, straight out of the field and rearing a calf now my question is

she is an R, 860kg x 53% kill out = 455.8kg x 3.35 = E1526 before deductions is 53% about right.. she had huge frame to carry more weight

50% would catch most r grade cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mossiemag

Hi Lads

I have a chX heifer over 30 months. How much will i get docked in the factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

mossiemag wrote: »
    Hi Lads

I have a chX heifer over 30 months. How much will i get docked in the factory.

nothing if you get the right place mossie. They are hungry for cattle. No qa is all you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mossiemag

Id be happy with that Tubby

Whats base at the moment, 3.65/3.7???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Why is there factory demand for cows ,are they passing off the beef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Why is there factory demand for cows ,are they passing off the beef

The kill is high at present compared to cattle in country. Lads are panicing killing U30 month cattle. Steer kill yo by 6-8K/week so no need to pass anything off. However cow and bull kill below normal levels so both of these prices are steady. As the cattle supply will chage over next few weeks I think(I may be wrong) that processors are trying to keep cow kill up so that U30 month cattle in chills will last longer. Demand for cows for catering trade( hospitals schools etc) is kind of steady all year around, At present all schools are back all over Europe and hospitals etc would be in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭tvo

mossiemag wrote: »
    Id be happy with that Tubby

Whats base at the moment, 3.65/3.7???

Quoted 365 for R and 345 for O grades this morning. Midlands going to give it a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

tvo wrote: »
    Quoted 365 for R and 345 for O grades this morning. Midlands going to give it a week

yeah 3.65 is run of it. Sent few this morning that had to go. Not overage just money needed....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

The kill is high at present compared to cattle in country. Lads are panicing killing U30 month cattle. Steer kill yo by 6-8K/week so no need to pass anything off. However cow and bull kill below normal levels so both of these prices are steady. As the cattle supply will chage over next few weeks I think(I may be wrong) that processors are trying to keep cow kill up so that U30 month cattle in chills will last longer. Demand for cows for catering trade( hospitals schools etc) is kind of steady all year around, At present all schools are back all over Europe and hospitals etc would be in full swing.

My default position with the processors in to suspect the worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

When the weather inevitably breaks they are going to whip back 10 cent a kilo. It will be well after cattle are housed before there will be any come up.

Yeah I was, good trade very small sale, only one ring in operation, 12 cows in it and all a good trade also,

SIMX were you in KK yesterday? What was trade like for cows?

I heard Chandler on radio yesterday evenins saying heavy cont cull cows made up to 2.05/kg:eek:

Did ya see any of em selling??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Anybody getting factory quotes for cull cows R's? flat or grid?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement