Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

if they are the yellow type charolais there are a lot of buyers for them especially if they will make a u grade, you could get anything between €2.10-2.40 a kilo for them depending on the mart and competition.

wouldn't know much about Herefords,

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

353kg when bought last may and i'd be confident enough they have 50-70kg put on since then.Tempted to feed em til next March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Lads that have been to a few marts lately would ye give me an idea of what ye think the following might make

2 chx 18 months 400-420kg square but not overly big frame
    3 hex 18 months 400kg rangey type but not leggy

Bought em earlier this year but not sure whether to hold or sell

Cattle that weight range are making the most per kilo but yours wouldn't be hectic weights for their age so I'd say 2.00 to 2.20 a kg for char and 1.90 to 2.10 for whiteheads. They are cattle for grazing next year really. Would you be able to keep them til next July?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Willfarman wrote: »
    Cattle that weight range are making the most per kilo but yours wouldn't be hectic weights for their age so I'd say 2.00 to 2.20 a kg for char and 1.90 to 2.10 for whiteheads. They are cattle for grazing next year really. Would you be able to keep them til next July?

Could do. Would you suggest pushing them a bit with nuts or just plenty of silage over the winter and then grass for 4 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

if they are the yellow type charolais there are a lot of buyers for them especially if they will make a u grade, you could get anything between €2.10-2.40 a kilo for them depending on the mart and competition.

wouldn't know much about Herefords,

In Roscrea today and that's spot on to today's mart anyway. But they would have to be very nice ch.

The Herefords today went for around 400 with the waight.

A few really nice u grade limmo heifers 500kg went for €1200 €1400

A hell of allot of finished cattle in the mart. Heifers and bullocks and overage.

A few of these monsters to I couldn't get over the size of these. Easily 6 foot tall!! Sorry for bad pic.

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Could do. Would you suggest pushing them a bit with nuts or just plenty of silage over the winter and then grass for 4 months

A couple or 3 kgs of meal with silage is what I do with these type stores. I would sell now or sell them finished next summer. If you take their value now and add a winters keep to it its unlikely that you'd get much of a turn outa them in march. The kilos off grazed grass are where your turn is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

In Roscrea today and that's spot on to today's mart anyway. But they would have to be very nice ch.

The Herefords today went for around 400 with the waight.

A few really nice u grade limmo heifers 500kg went for €1200 €1400

A hell of allot of finished cattle in the mart. Heifers and bullocks and overage.

A few of these monsters to I couldn't get over the size of these. Easily 6 foot tall!! Sorry for bad pic.

Hard to see any finisher make money out of these heifers. Take it that you put 150kgs on them and kill them at 650 LW. Will they they kill 57% if so they will be 370DW. At 4.5/kg they make about 1650 euro. The prices paid for them are stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Hard to see any finisher make money out of these heifers. Take it that you put 150kgs on them and kill them at 650 LW. Will they they kill 57% if so they will be 370DW. At 4.5/kg they make about 1650 euro. The prices paid for them are stupidity.

Have to agree the prices paid for some animal round that weight is mad

Think these girls were for the bull. I was watching the farmer buying them. Still payed big money for them.

Crazy amount of factory fit cattle in it. Allot of lads mad after cull cows to. €1.50kg for good big square girls. These seemed like not bad value. Would you turn €100 on a good one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Think these girls were for the bull. I was watching the farmer buying them. Still payed big money for them.

Crazy amount of factory fit cattle in it. Allot of lads mad after cull cows to. €1.50kg for good big square girls. These seemed like not bad value. Would you turn €100 on a good one?

youd be tightening things giving 1.50/kg, suppose it depends on the cow but theyd want to be decent r grade cows

simx wrote: »
    youd be tightening things giving 1.50/kg, suppose it depends on the cow but theyd want to be decent r grade cows

Good cows allright but a bit of a row between a few buyers I think no you'll have this one and I'll get that one yesterday.

Good cows allright but a bit of a row between a few buyers I think no you'll have this one and I'll get that one yesterday.

very few cows ready to kill immeadiatly or in following week rarely any value, the one that has a bit of cover and needs to maybe 5/6 weeks can do an ok turn at times, those types making enough at the minute too

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Helpmefarm

790kg simm cow made 1620 in Cavan mart on Friday!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Still €3.65 base in Kepak. Turning 30 Months on Saturday so had to sell.

3.25 o&p cows flat for next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Where this Kildare?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Where this Kildare?

yes, slaney 3.25 os and 3.15 ps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

What do you mean by flat?

just do it wrote: »
    What do you mean by flat?

Just basically no matter if I have cows grade p=2+ or o+4+ I'll be getting 3.25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Any prices for heifers this week or is everybody going to hold onto them for two weeks till the price goes through the roof?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Just basically no matter if I have cows grade p=2+ or o+4+ I'll be getting 3.25
    Same happened me, as I posted three weeks ago, told them to stick it, and I took cows to the mart. done better, agents must think we're ejjets:mad:

Nettleman wrote: »
    Same happened me, as I posted three weeks ago, told them to stick it, and I took cows to the mart. done better, agents must think we're ejjets:mad:

What do you mean the same happened you?

??? I suspect your not used to killing cattle? This is a good quote. Big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

Just off the phone to agent in Kilbeggan, €3.75 base for heifers and will take them today or any day this week we can drop them in...they are finished and don't want them to get over fat, other than that would wait a few weeks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Sami23

Just off the phone to agent in Kilbeggan, €3.75 base for heifers and will take them today or any day this week we can drop them in...they are finished and don't want them to get over fat, other than that would wait a few weeks...

Sold 2 red Lmx bullocks at mart. 575 kg made 1150 and 550 kg made 1090. Disappointed not to get more for dem. Both round 27 months

Sami23 wrote: »
    Sold 2 red Lmx bullocks at mart. 575 kg made 1150 and 550 kg made 1090. Disappointed not to get more for dem. Both round 27 months

you got on well considering what I bought similar stock for

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

They seem very light for their age? I have lmx and chx to go soon to mart. They will be 500kg approx and are 17/18 months. Will be hoping to clear the €1000 mark anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

if you've good supermarket spec heifers, they definitely won't be turning them away, another 10c might stop this f'ing protest

AP2014 wrote: »
    They seem very light for their weight? I have lmx and chx to go soon to mart. They will be 500kg approx and are 17/18 months. Will be hoping to clear the €1000 mark anyway.

Agree as had another lad 18 months and he was 500kgs so thought the other 2 would have been heavier.

you got on well considering what I bought similar stock for

Why, what ya get them for ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Agree as had another lad 18 months and he was 500kgs so thought the other 2 would have been heavier.

Did they just not thrive? Or was sickness or something the problem? I know ya had only 3 months left on them but hard to tell if you fed them would ya have got on better killing them yourself.

Did they just not thrive? Or was sickness or something the problem? I know ya had only 3 months left on them but hard to tell if you fed them would ya have got on better killing them yourself.

Ya hard to know alrit. No sickness or other problem with them. Had lots grass all year and getting nuts last few months

Factory's being flooded with cattle as farmers with cattle outside try to unload them before protest late this week or early next week. They are axinousfor heifers under age paying 3.75/kg but not budging. Steers 3.65 under age, 3.6 over 30 months and 3.55 over 36 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

They seem very light for their weight?

You were very young when you were born

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Factory's being flooded with cattle as farmers with cattle outside try to unload them before protest late this week or early next week. They are axinousfor heifers under age paying 3.75/kg but not budging. Steers 3.65 under age, 3.6 over 30 months and 3.55 over 36 months.

Nothing but trailers heading for kilbeggan this am

I said wrote: »
    Nothing but trailers heading for kilbeggan this am

Farmers voting with there feet............sorry trailers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Farmers voting with there feet............sorry trailers

I'm keeping well out of it

Why, what ya get them for ?

dearest was 1080 and none lighter than 610 kg, they were mix of qa and non qa

this type stock are very heavy on land at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I wish you well with them. Hopefully you get a good turn out of them that eases your other headaches

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    I wish you well with them. Hopefully you get a good turn out of them that eases your other headaches

swore id get out of finishing but the older type stock are hardy and are good value at the minute due to change in weather

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

€3.70 the base for u/a in Cahir this week and €3.60 for o/a.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭nhg

Got a base of €3.70 for bullocks under 30 mths in Dawn in Grannagh last Monday, would have been overage next Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

There's a move on at the minute, factories ringing around looking for cattle.
    Quoted 3.50 for Os bulls.

Anyone hear a price for Os

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

I noticed from the Dept price app that the steer price at one factory fell last week lower than its been for last 4 weeks (R3grade). factory based NE way.
    wonder if mix of QA and non QA is distorting the figures, what I mean is, if they pay bonus on 10% of cattle this week and 20% of cattle next week, will the app report a price rise for steers, and equally a price drop if QA % falls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

I noticed from the Dept price app that the steer price at one factory fell last week lower than its been for last 4 weeks (R3grade). factory based NE way.
    wonder if mix of QA and non QA is distorting the figures, what I mean is, if they pay bonus on 10% of cattle this week and 20% of cattle next week, will the app report a price rise for steers, and equally a price drop if QA % falls?
    if that's happening it could be used to distort quote prices ,as if they haven't ammo enough,no pun intended, but then ive just remember he is minister for tanks :eek: and tractors

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

There's a move on at the minute, factories ringing around looking for cattle.
    Quoted 3.50 for Os bulls.

Anyone hear a price for Os

Trying to fill up for next Monday and Tuesday would be my guess.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Is there QA bonus for cows?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 FYM

no - well not for us farmers. however the factory sell the carcase as quality assured.

great system

ive heard dawn in waterford give a 4c bonus on anything better than a p+3 cow and probably the 70 days in herd, anyone know how true this is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

ive heard dawn in waterford give a 4c bonus on anything better than a p+3 cow and probably the 70 days in herd, anyone know how true this is?

Correct - but its 5 c/kg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement