Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Two AA are heifers the fr is a bulkock

Just thought up a silly joke.... it's clean. .

What do you call a small Angus?

'a triple A' (AAA)... well AA's are the big ones!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Muckit wrote: »
    Just thought up a silly joke.... it's clean. .

What do you call a small Angus?

'a triple A' (AAA)... well AA's are the big ones!! :D
    I prefer double Ds myself :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Any improvement on €4 and €4.10 for steers-heifers this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

epfff wrote: »
    If their is a flesh cover 390
    If a lot of hol in them you haven't got flesh cover with 9kgs
    be careful the factories penalise very hard if you. Haven't flesh

Quoted 380, Charleville. Told him come back next week with 390, epff said 'twas avalaible.:rolleyes: only have three so not in a great negotiating position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Sent 13 bullocks up the ramp early this morning. €4.05/Kg

Where you get that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Where you get that?

Dawn Charlaville

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Is that a flat price or on the grid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

Hershall wrote: »
    Chatting to a couple of agents today, quoting €4 for over and underage bks next week. Not overly anxious saying factories they deal with not short of cattle next week! !!

Both back on wondering would i go the end of this week. Offering €4.05 over and underage on grid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

Both back on wondering would i go the end of this week. Offering €4.05 over and underage on grid.

I would hold on if I were you, things will get better yet

Yeah told them I'm getting fond of them. Have nuts for a fortnight or so anyway. This time last year they wouldn't answer the phone. Great to see the wheel turning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

Yeah told them I'm getting fond of them. Have nuts for a fortnight or so anyway. This time last year they wouldn't answer the phone. Great to see the wheel turning.

what do you hope to get in two weeks?

how much better do you think?have some ready now myself been offered 4 05 think i will hang till the end of the month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

Great to see it surely.
    I have some of those "highly sought after Friesian bulls":):) I asked my factory man what was the story if the went over 24 mths ,no bother he says.
    Pack of cu......s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

When cattle are plentyfull they want them between 280 kg and 400 kg under fat score 4h but over 2+ not bulls not even a bit strong. Less than four movements and preferably not friesans. And all under 30 months.

When cattle are scarce they need two tags and a pulse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Well as another thread on this is talking about memory loss and farming! Coveney sold us out in 2014. We were left to the wolves... And he is still in his super shiny suit and sitting in his leather chair..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Willfarman wrote: »
    Well as another thread on this is talking about memory loss and farming! Coveney sold us out in 2014. We were left to the wolves... And he is still in his super shiny suit and sitting in his leather chair..

Spot on, it really shows you what a farce the QA system is and how Coveney and factories are protecting it and how it is used to control the market and screw farmers, sad some farmers can't see this.

You'll get €4.20 for a 3 legged donkey with 10 movements in a few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Good lad, it's coveneys fault the kill was up 10% year on year. Those Fianna failures will sort it all out. When beef was at a record high in June 2013, I don't recall Coveney getting any thanks but now he gets the blame. It's unfortunate but the factories will never pay anymore than the absolute minimum to secure supplies

primary 2 wrote: »
    what do you hope to get in two weeks?

I don't know but if numbers don't get to plentiful I'd say they will get a bit dearer but I don't think they will rocket up either. A bit like pulling teeth now!!!

I don't know but if numbers don't get to plentiful I'd say they will get a bit dearer but I don't think they will rocket up either. A bit like pulling teeth now!!!

hopefully there might be another 10 or 15 cent to be got in the next 3 weeks

• Advertisement

huey1975 wrote: »
    Good lad, it's coveneys fault the kill was up 10% year on year. Those Fianna failures will sort it all out. When beef was at a record high in June 2013, I don't recall Coveney getting any thanks but now he gets the blame. It's unfortunate but the factories will never pay anymore than the absolute minimum to secure supplies

have you not read any of the previous posts? 10 months ago he presided over an industry which allowed the processers to buy friesian Bulls for 2.80 a kilo. These Bulls are in today's market are now worth 3.90 to these same processers.

Has the retail price of this bull beef gone up 35% in the retail marketplace? No it fuppin hasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

mf240 wrote: »
    When cattle are plentyfull they want them between 280 kg and 400 kg under fat score 4h but over 2+ not bulls not even a bit strong. Less than four movements and preferably not friesans. And all under 30 months.

When cattle are scarce they need two tags and a pulse.

Shur 1 tag will be grand.;);)

How does he preside over the industry? Do you understand the laws of supply and demand?
    Oil prices are currently falling due to increased supply from Saudi Arabia and decreased demand from China. When any commodity is plentiful it's price falls and when it gets scarce it's price will rise!!
    I don't think this phenomenon has only arisen since Simon Coveney was appointed Minister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

How does he preside over the industry? Do you understand the laws of supply and demand?
    Oil prices are currently falling due to increased supply from Saudi Arabia and decreased demand from China. When any commodity is plentiful it's price falls and when it gets scarce it's price will rise!!
    I don't think this phenomenon has only arisen since Simon Coveney was appointed Minister

+1
    Some common sense at last.
    High prices cure high prices, see 2013 - 14

He is in charge of the department of Agriculture. Agriculture is farming. Beef farming is agriculture.

I was snagging turnips the day teacher done the chapter on supply and demand but I understand the principle, as I do cartels, corruption and the the principle of processers and retailers now being like the tail Wagging the dog

The retail price of oil has fallen and is falling. The retail price of beef didn't and won't rise now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

The co-ops tried the meat business a number of times and always failed badly at it.

Only the tough survive.

As far as I can see beef finishers like to buy their stores as cheaply as possible.

Good loser wrote: »
    The co-ops tried the meat business a number of times and always failed badly at it.

Only the tough survive.

As far as I can see beef finishers like to buy their stores as cheaply as possible.

Larry goodman would have failed too only for Charlie bailing him out with the peasants taxes.

The crooked the corrupt and the greedy monopolised the irish beef processing industry, no amount of "toughness" will allow a new entrant to flourish when it is unregulated and anti competitive. And yes we buy our store as cheaply as possible but we don't conspire to manipulate the marketplace.

He is in charge of the department of Agriculture. Agriculture is farming. Beef farming is agriculture.

I was snagging turnips the day teacher done the chapter on supply and demand but I understand the principle, as I do cartels, corruption and the the principle of processers and retailers now being like the tail Wagging the dog

The retail price of oil has fallen and is falling. The retail price of beef didn't and won't rise now either.

You're not really very bright , are you?
    You try to buy the raw materials for your business as cheaply as possible, and that's what the factories did last year. The minister cannot set the price of beef, the same way that he cannot set minimum prices for meal or fertilizer.
    If a tonne of ration falls to €100 / tonne and millers and tillage farmers come under pressure , The minister won't be on the phone to you demanding that you pay €200/tonne because that is market forces.
    Why would the factories pay €4/ kg last summer when they could buy beef at €3.50/kg.
    I love a conspiracy theory as much as the next man but when farmers were at marts buying Holstein bull calves in the hope of making money from them, and outbidding exporters who were shipping them to Holland and Spain where they have the expertise , climate , feed stuffs and markets, I wonder how many of those lads were out in the rain snagging turnips when they should have been listening in school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Larry goodman would have failed too only for Charlie bailing him out with the peasants taxes.

The crooked the corrupt and the greedy monopolised the irish beef processing industry, no amount of "toughness" will allow a new entrant to flourish when it is unregulated and anti competitive. And yes we buy our store as cheaply as possible but we don't conspire to manipulate the marketplace.

You are up against a few blue shirts here, the election is coming up. They are popping up all over the place, promising jobs, health care etc. Turn on the news and read the papers the good times are here.

Simon only got involved in the beef crisis when farmers threatened to pull out of QA. No sign of him before that.

With the vested interest he has with his brother, the fact he is in his position says it all. These guys would make charile look like an amateur!

Expect to be patronised for awhile more here. Didn't simon secure you a €3 bonus during the crisis or was that the IFA or both? You should be greatful to him, them and know your place!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭aneala

You try to buy the raw materials for your business as cheaply as possible, and that's what the factories did last year. The minister cannot set the price of beef, the same way that he cannot set minimum prices for meal or fertilizer.
    If a tonne of ration falls to €100 / tonne and millers and tillage farmers come under pressure , The minister won't be on the phone to you demanding that you pay €200/tonne because that is market forces.
    Why would the factories pay €4/ kg last summer when they could buy beef at €3.50/kg.
    I love a conspiracy theory as much as the next man but when farmers were at marts buying Holstein bull calves in the hope of making money from them, and outbidding exporters who were shipping them to Holland and Spain where they have the expertise , climate , feed stuffs and markets, I wonder how many of those lads were out in the rain snagging turnips when they should have been listening in school.

+1

One of the best most succinct descriptions of the beef market from the last 2 years that I have seen.

• Advertisement

would you consider yourself to be bright? You believe the core beef producer has no right to a reasonable percentage of the the retail price of the product and no legislative or regulatory authority by government to ensure this. Rural ireland, and rural communities were plundered last year by Larry and co.

Anyway the good news is that quotes for next week are €4.10 for bullocks and 4.15 for heifers. Plus the €3 bonus :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

From memory the same factories that you defend so rigorously were the ones crying out that too many veal calves were been exported and therefore putting Irish jobs at risk :(

Anyway the good news is that quotes for next week are €4.10 for bullocks and 4.15 for heifers. Plus the €3 bonus :(

is that overage or underage?will you chance letting some go yourself this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

In spec heifers are 4 15 this week but I don't they qualify for the €3 Euro bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

rangler1 wrote: »
    +1
    Some common sense at last.
    High prices cure high prices, see 2013 - 14

What is happening at the moment with oil is a political game. Manners has to be put on Russian over Ukraine. It suits Saudi Arabia as they also can cripple the UK shale gas industry. The other outcome will be the revival of the US economy coming into the the 2016 US Election. It call Win Win Win. Win for the US against Russia, Win for Saudi against the shale gas industry, and for the Democrats. It has nothing to do with high oil prices curing high oil prices. Oil prices will recover faster than many think the Saudi are not stupid they have a finate resource.

Beef prices did not collapse to any great extent elsewhere in Europe. Why are prices still not on the floor with supply numbers. Processors are back filling there chill rooms as fast as possible, beef bought now may seem cheap in 6 weeks time. The reality is that a lot of the collapse was manufactured by the processors having the ability to control the kill last Christmas 12 months by having control of there own and rented feedlots.

They continued this by creating backlogs of cattle bulls, over 48 months over 30 months, cows etc through the year. The only time we heard a peep out of Simple Simon was during the horse meat saga and I almost forgot when the ICSA treatened the QA scheme. If more lads had supported the attack on QA we be in a far better situtation today.

In my Books I rate him as the worst Agri minister that I remember in my time. Most Agri Ministers are swayed by the IFA and the Processors however he has really taken the biscuit. I think he began to believe his own pubilicity and taught he was a possible future leader of FG. I doubt if he will ever be and I hope for FG sake they never elect him to that position. He is the most useless lump of **** we have had as a minister. I have never seen an Agri minister as unpopular amoung farmers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Anyone know what bulls are making? have a limosine to go to factory about 5 yr old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Good loser

What is happening at the moment with oil is a political game. Manners has to be put on Russian over Ukraine. It suits Saudi Arabia as they also can cripple the UK shale gas industry. The other outcome will be the revival of the US economy coming into the the 2016 US Election. It call Win Win Win. Win for the US against Russia, Win for Saudi against the shale gas industry, and for the Democrats. It has nothing to do with high oil prices curing high oil prices. Oil prices will recover faster than many think the Saudi are not stupid they have a finate resource.

Beef prices did not collapse to any great extent elsewhere in Europe. Why are prices still not on the floor with supply numbers. Processors are back filling there chill rooms as fast as possible, beef bought now may seem cheap in 6 weeks time. The reality is that a lot of the collapse was manufactured by the processors having the ability to control the kill last Christmas 12 months by having control of there own and rented feedlots.

They continued this by creating backlogs of cattle bulls, over 48 months over 30 months, cows etc through the year. The only time we heard a peep out of Simple Simon was during the horse meat saga and I almost forgot when the ICSA treatened the QA scheme. If more lads had supported the attack on QA we be in a far better situtation today.

In my Books I rate him as the worst Agri minister that I remember in my time. Most Agri Ministers are swayed by the IFA and the Processors however he has really taken the biscuit. I think he began to believe his own pubilicity and taught he was a possible future leader of FG. I doubt if he will ever be and I hope for FG sake they never elect him to that position. He is the most useless lump of **** we have had as a minister. I have never seen an Agri minister as unpopular amoung farmers.

I don't recognise that atall. I think he has been way better than most.

His policies have been measured and prudent.

I don't believe any M of Ag has any responsibility for the factory price of cattle or sheep or the market price for grain or feeds. Aren't you always talking about the best 'value' in feeds? Same difference.

The price has climbed significantly since I sold in November. That's market forces plain and simple.

Besides all year it was UK out of step with EU; we were in or around EU averages. When you export 90% of a commodity you are a price taker.

Mind you when Larry was in his prime (with CJH) that's when serious money was being made in beef. The halcyon days!

is that overage or underage?will you chance letting some go yourself this week?

Overage. I'll wait till next week.

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    In spec heifers are 4 15 this week but I don't they qualify for the €3 Euro bonus

Yeah only if they are over the 30 months you get the €3

Good loser wrote: »
    I don't recognise that atall. I think he has been way better than most.

His policies have been measured and prudent.

I don't believe any M of Ag has any responsibility for the factory price of cattle or sheep or the market price for grain or feeds. Aren't you always talking about the best 'value' in feeds? Same difference.

The price has climbed significantly since I sold in November. That's market forces plain and simple.

Besides all year it was UK out of step with EU; we were in or around EU averages. When you export 90% of a commodity you are a price taker.

Mind you when Larry was in his prime (with CJH) that's when serious money was being made in beef. The halcyon days!
    The minister for farming. We have around 140 000 irish family farms.

This is their minister. No he can't set the price of beef but he should be able to stop larry goodman and co from doing so too. And our beef was destined for the uk market so in a competitive processing industry beef farmers would have got a fair margin of it. This is where he failed dismally.

10 months ago a 600kg 24 month old friesian bull was worth €840. Today the Same bull is worth €1170 to these same processers. The retail value of the product hasn't changed. This tells me a lot about market forces.

The calves are on the lorries again, the suckler cows are heading for the slaughter house, the youth of rural Ireland are emigrating... But our beef barons are still topping rich lists and their are plenty of jobs for Eastern europeans and South Americans in the boning halls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Remind me, what's the name of this thread again?!

Base price wrote: »
    From memory the same factories that you defend so rigorously were the ones crying out that too many veal calves were been exported and therefore putting Irish jobs at risk :(

I am not defending the factories, I am defending a free market. Some of the posters on here won't be happy until we are guaranteed a price for beef , which will lead to an increase in production and flood the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

I am not defending the factories, I am defending a free market. Some of the posters on here won't be happy until we are guaranteed a price for beef , which will lead to an increase in production and flood the market.

According to the comic this week farmers in the north have to pay a "penalty" of €103 on cattle born in the south and slaughtered in the north. Tesco like to call them "nomad cattle".

Is this the "free market" you speak about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

3.45 O&P cows for Monday in Slaney and from what I hear theres a rise on the way for blks and heifers too, hope it's true

• Advertisement

simx wrote: »
    3.45 O&P cows for Monday in Slaney and from what I hear theres a rise on the way for blks and heifers too, hope it's true

the bullocks were making 4 10 this week,did you hear what they are ment to go up?have some bullocks to go myself but waiting to see will things rise more,what would you of getting for those cows this week?

the bullocks were making 4 10 this week,did you hear what they are ment to go up?have some bullocks to go myself but waiting to see will things rise more,what would you of getting for those cows this week?

Heard 10c but time will tell, maybe 3.40 this week/last week. Sent a load before Xmas and getting 3.35

Heard 10c but time will tell, maybe 3.40 this week/last week. Sent a load before Xmas and getting 3.35

things are improving slowly so,when do you think prices are going to peak?and how do you find slaney?

things are improving slowly so,when do you think prices are going to peak?and how do you find slaney?

Oh I couldn't tell ya, wouldn't say there will be any more of a rise for another while yet, dawn in waterford still have no prob filling kill every week still, ah generally wouldn't find them too bad, had a falling out with them before over a couple of cows on load not being in herd 70 days and they docked me 30c/kg so didn't kill much with them for a good while

Oh I couldn't tell ya, wouldn't say there will be any more of a rise for another while yet, dawn in waterford still have no prob filling kill every week still, ah generally wouldn't find them too bad, had a falling out with them before over a couple of cows on load not being in herd 70 days and they docked me 30c/kg so didn't kill much with them for a good while

send steers there my self find them ok,i was hoping to hold on for another week or two to see would the base price rise to 4 20

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement