Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Bulls going tomorrow to dawn in waterford 3.90 for O's and 4.00 for R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Looks like they are going to attempt a pull late this week or early next week. Or else they will try to back up cattle and start booking them in 2-3 weeks in advance. This usually stops prices rises for a while and allow them to control the kill for ages.

While the kill is high it may not suit them as numbers not on there side this year. Last of my cattle that I held last Oct/Nov are booked in for this week.There may be a lot of finished cattle out there with good silage and cheap barley. With protein highish in silage, barley is good enough by itself for last 8-10 weeks.

Dairy farmers that fatten cattle are now offloading and bulk of kill coming on stream. Cattle housed in early November will be hitting 110 days and go off the boil if on high ration diet. Cattle housed in October on 5-7 kgs and silage going off the boil as well now.

Processors have being killing at a steady rate for last 3-4 weeks on the assumption cattle would run out now they may have chills that are fairly full and may wish to slow kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I don't think its a pull really, just an attempt to apply the brakes. Might be no harm in that as the store trade is a runaway train at the minute.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Bulls going tomorrow to dawn in waterford 3.90 for O's and 4.00 for R
    How did it go?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    How did it go?

The kiwi was an O+ 2- at a carcass weight od 360.. freisan R- 2= and a carcass of 380 and the AA R- 3- and a carcass of 370

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

The kiwi was an O+ 2- at a carcass weight od 360.. freisan R- 2= and a carcass of 380 and the AA R- 3- and a carcass of 370

What was their diet for finishing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The kiwi was a 2-, were you cut for that?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

just do it wrote: »
    What was their diet for finishing?

Ad lib meal.. mainly made up of maize on pea straw fir bedding

Good weights but surprised by fat cover considering weight. I have considered that the kiwi being a smaller framed than the Friesians would at that weight be hitting FS 3 especially on ad lib meal. Were they being fed for long

• Advertisement

Good weights but surprised by fat cover considering weight. I have considered that the kiwi being a smaller framed than the Friesians would at that weight be hitting FS 3 especially on ad lib meal. Were they being fed for long

They were being fed since the 2nd week of November

They were being fed since the 2nd week of November

Not long enough. I always found with bulls taht iy was best to feed outside during late August and September for 6 weeks at 3kgs/day and build to 5/day during last week outside and house first week in October. They be going at Christmass and all be gone by end of January. This was best time as glut started early february.

However you had good weight on them for age and weight pays. Wheat is good to get fat cover and it speed up maize through rumen as maize can really slow down Rumen. It a bit like adding kerosene to diesel to make it burn hotter.

With the inconsistenties that the grading shows in differant factories and sometimes even the same factory it is hard to fine tune a feeding regime that will give predictable results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Coveney denies Goodman association or past will affect Irish beef exports
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/coveney-denies-goodman-association-past-will-affect-irish-beef-exports/

Wondering when it would rear it's head

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Miller80

What price are fr culls going? Have 6, 3 should be close to 400kg dw and 3 around 350kg dw.

I said wrote: »
    Coveney denies Goodman association or past will affect Irish beef exports
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/coveney-denies-goodman-association-past-will-affect-irish-beef-exports/

Wondering when it would rear it's head

Well super shiny Simon and the Boulder larry did a wonderful job of making the horse meat scandal fade away from the public eye...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Miller80 wrote: »
    What price are fr culls going? Have 6, 3 should be close to 400kg dw and 3 around 350kg dw.

3.55/60

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

My man in the know says a further pull in prices next week as in some places this week. Along with the next 6 weeks under par with the previous Couple. Supose the 100 day cattle is Takeing it's impact

I think thet meeting a bit of resistance this time. No kill in slaney on Monday. But a lot of cattle bought up early last week at 4.15 steers for Tuesday. Trying for 4.10 for anyone looking for quote today.

Not long enough. I always found with bulls taht iy was best to feed outside during late August and September for 6 weeks at 3kgs/day and build to 5/day during last week outside and house first week in October. They be going at Christmass and all be gone by end of January. This was best time as glut started early february.

However you had good weight on them for age and weight pays. Wheat is good to get fat cover and it speed up maize through rumen as maize can really slow down Rumen. It a bit like adding kerosene to diesel to make it burn hotter.

Thanks for the info only started at the bulls 3 years ago so still learning !!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

Thanks for the info only started at the bulls 3 years ago so still learning !!

last years bulls on this farm, some of them ended up being fed adlib for 150 days ! but they didn't go stale for a finish as they were still gaining weight based on regular weighing

they were some beasts after the end of it though!

was holding for a better price that never came.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

will there be any ongoing inspections of beef production in Ireland by American or Chinese officials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

last years bulls on this farm, some of them ended up being fed adlib for 150 days ! but they didn't go stale for a finish as they were still gaining weight based on regular weighing

they were some beasts after the end of it though!

was holding for a better price that never came.

Bord bia say that the market for bull beef is still very difficult, supermarkets say that they can get bull beef anywhere but they are very interested in Irish steer/ heifer beef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

rangler1 wrote: »
    Bord bia say that the market for bull beef is still very difficult, supermarkets say that they can get bull beef anywhere but they are very interested in Irish steer/ heifer beef

Must be true if bord bia said it. :)

Steer beef is unenomical over the winter efficiency of bulls very important in system. As we have no access to byproduct at competitive prices we need bulls in the winter system.

mf240 wrote: »
    Must be true if bord bia said it. :)

Yea... people thought they were lying last year too: :rolleyes:

Yea... people thought they were lying last year too: :rolleyes:

Oh horses ya horses.

mf240 wrote: »
    Oh horses ya horses.

It's alright, you can leave it to agriland to undermine the Irish beef exports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

What did they do ?

We can leave it to the abp group under the stewardship of larry goodman and greencore under the the stewardship of the brother of our beloved minister to undermine our exports by selling nags of horses as beef to unsuspecting consumers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

I think you should explain what you mean by that remark, because I don't know what your on about ? I've always found thier reporting to be unbiased , and from my experience not all good news stories in agriculture are good news for farmers and this website seems to hit that nail on the head everytime!

• Advertisement

Nettleman wrote: »
    I think you should explain what you mean by that remark, because I don't know what your on about ? I've always found thier reporting to be unbiased , and from my experience not all good news stories in agriculture are good news for farmers and this website seems to hit that nail on the head everytime!

Unbiased means that they do not support the status quo. The rag is the only official propaganda leaflet. Any news source that differs from Der Fuhrer and its propaganda are undermining the war effort.

TBH Nettleman you are long enough on boards to understand that.

Cop yourself on. :P

Willfarman wrote: »
    We can leave it to the abp group under the stewardship of larry goodman and greencore under the the stewardship of the brother of our beloved minister to undermine our exports by selling nags of horses as beef to unsuspecting consumers..

Is this not begrudgery, are these guys not selling enough beef for you, have you anyone better at it, there was no big rush to buy Kildare chilling.
    Why should it bother you how they're doing it.
    I'm sure no one was envious of Larry when he was starting out.
    Agriland were fairly desperate when they had to report on Deputy Paul Murphys' concerns about the beef tribunal.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Fuxake

Is this not begrudgery, are these guys not selling enough beef for you, have you anyone better at it, there was no big rush to buy Kildare chilling.
    Agriland were fairly desperate when they had to report on Deputy Paul Murphys' concerns about the beef tribunal.

Jeez IFA must be getting worried about Agriland impact when resorting to this sort of obvious blackening propaganda. But then again, the editor of Agriland doesn't have to get everything cleared with IFA before they publish. Shocking new world out there!!!

You are trying to antagonise me now.

Fuxake wrote: »
    Jeez IFA must be getting worried about Agriland impact when resorting to this sort of obvious blackening propaganda. But then again, the editor of Agriland doesn't have to get everything cleared with IFA before they publish. Shocking new world out there!!!

IFA, What's that!!!!!
    There' a small barber shop in the local village, about 10ft by 12ft rented from a local young fellow who bought it 30yrs ago after qualifying as a butcher, he rented a yard in the village for killing and started with nothing selling meat. I wouldn't imagine many on here worked as hard as he did, but now he has a nice farm, huge house, and a fine abbatoir sending out two lorry loads a day.......and of course the original shop set to a barber.
    Whatever about the new world, that's the real world out there and that opportunity is available to everyone that wants it, if they just pull the finger out...no quotas needed nor subsidies nor entitlements either

IFA, What's that!!!!!
    There' a small barber shop in the local village, about 10ft by 12ft rented from a local young fellow who bought it 30yrs ago after qualifying as a butcher, he rented a yard in the village for killing and started with nothing selling meat. I wouldn't imagine many on here worked as hard as he did, but now he has a nice farm, huge house, and a fine abbatoir sending out two lorry loads a day.......and of course the original shop set to a barber.
    Whatever about the new world, that's the real world out there and that opportunity is available to everyone that wants it, if they just pull the finger out...no quotas needed nor subsidies nor entitlements either but if people prefer begrudgery:eek:
    There was a butchers shop in every village killing there own stock, and several in every town up to 20 years ago until our dept of agriculture made their own interpretation of eu legislation on small abattoirs and persisted in closing most of them. Same e.u legislation in France and and they were let survive. And yes I begrudge larry goodman making billions at the expense of rural communities and economies. I believe him to be a sociopath.

There was a butchers shop in every village killing there own stock, and several in every town up to 20 years ago until our dept of agriculture made their own interpretation of eu legislation on small abattoirs and persisted in closing most of them. Same e.u legislation in France and and they were let survive. And yes I begrudge larry goodman making billions at the expense of rural communities and economies. I believe him to be a sociopath.

I wonder, this guy expanded despite all the regulations

Have to hand it to him he triumphed over adversity. Only two survived in co. Wexford. One has expanded to a medium sized enterprise. The other small to medium. But I concur the one thing they all have in common is they work all hours they have.

Have to hand it to him he triumphed over adversity. Only two survived in co. Wexford. One has expanded to a medium sized enterprise. The other small to medium. But I concur the one thing they all have in common is they work all hours they have.

As does anyone self employed in this country if they want a decent wage,
    Ok, Larry is too big to fail now, but he wasn't always that way.
    Isn't the government now showing a lot of undeserved respect to failed developers now because this country needs every entrepreneur it can get,
    Larry employs up to 10000 now across England and Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

I often agree with some of your sentiments but this one is way off. Rebranding meat, horse meat scams and bullying everyone. He's the biggest but he's pretty much pissed on everyone else and got there by bullying and tricks. Nearly every problem there has been with meat exporting he's been at the root of it.

Miname wrote: »
    I often agree with some of your sentiments but this one is way off. Rebranding meat, horse meat scams and bullying everyone. He's the biggest but he's pretty much pissed on everyone else and got there by bullying and tricks. Nearly every problem there has been with meat exporting he's been at the root of it.

Unfotunately there's no one else stepping into the export business, think it was one of the existing processors that has Kildare....no point in tying to change the things you can't change...waste of energy.
    There'll be enough in America trying to throw him out without Agrilands/Paul Murphys effort

Unfotunately there's no one else stepping into the export business, think it was one of the existing processors that has Kildare....no point in tying to change the things you can't change...waste of energy.
    There'll be enough in America trying to throw him out without Agrilands/Paul Murphys effort

True .
    but we don't live in North korea. We have free speech and media are allowed and should always to truthfully report the truth in these matters. Our beef is good enough. Our farmers are more than good enough and we need a processer that won't fcuk this up for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

I have a pbr lim cow that I'm culling, I reackon she is around 650-700 kgs. I will be factoring her myself. She is very muscely so I would hope she grades well. Should I try to fatten her up more or flog as is? Roughly what is she was worth? Thanks.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    I have a pbr lim cow that I'm culling, I reackon she is around 650-700 kgs. I will be factoring her myself. She is very muscely so I would hope she grades well. Should I try to fatten her up more or flog as is? Roughly what is she was worth? Thanks.

This day of the year I would wait for the grass. Nothing like a dry cow to put on the flesh in April may. If she's a good straight shapey cow 700 kgs She be worth 1250 now?

There is a point in trying to change things. We need to so that there is open competition. Larry is going to grind every new meat plant into the ground as long as he's let. He's pretty much our main go to with cattle and needs to keep it that way in another twenty years time farmers are still going to be at his mercy unless something is done. We're slaves to him at the moment but hopefully there's someone out there that has the finances and stones to take him on.

• Advertisement

I've one the same to go. A third Calvers that threw a dead calf. Around 650kg il be expecting around 1350 through the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

amd he provides the EIF levy for IFA et al- his biggest achievement!!!

Look we all know larry cant be touched at this stage.

The ifa cant touch him . He even has the competition athority on his side.

Its easy say nobody else is willing to take on processing or exporting beef . The reality is they would be taken apart by whatever means necessary.

This is ireland where nods and winks and brown envelopes are the order of the day.

Maybe ranglers right ,were getting beef into america and now china so thats positive. Lets just hope we dont fcuk it up irish style.

If it was me I put her to grass she could make 1500+ by late June.

Nettleman wrote: »
    amd he provides the EIF levy for IFA et al- his biggest achievement!!!

Don't think this guy does, I don't think you're paying attention

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement