Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Miname wrote: »
    I've one the same to go. A third Calvers that threw a dead calf. Around 650kg il be expecting around 1350 through the ring.

I'm in the same boat here, can I ask shy not factory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

saranac1 wrote: »

At that weight she struggle to make 1200 in the factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

saranac1 wrote: »

I have nothing else to go with her. I'm changing system a bit so no calf goes straight out the door and a new one is brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

3.60 o&p cows tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Miller80

Was quoted 3.10 for p's and 3.30 for o's in factory in the west. Long way off 3.60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

simx wrote: »
    3.60 o&p cows tomorrow morning

Where that simx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Miller80 wrote: »
    Was quoted 3.10 for p's and 3.30 for o's in factory in the west. Long way off 3.60
    I would take them to the sales, you defo wont get less, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

Just off phone to my bud in ABP...
    Expect no further price increases in the next 4-6 weeks "supply has met demand" was the way he put it.
    I've a small lot of heifers for off next week. He'll give me a quote on Thursday.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Where that simx

Kildare, Slaney giving it too

Miller80 wrote: »

That's complete s€&it quote, would of been bad a month ago, got 3.45 fur o&ps last month, sell them in a mart, or to me if ya want, I'll give ya 1.65€/kg live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

rangler1 wrote: »
    Unfotunately there's no one else stepping into the export business, think it was one of the existing processors that has Kildare....no point in tying to change the things you can't change...waste of energy.
    There'll be enough in America trying to throw him out without Agrilands/Paul Murphys effort
    cant see anyone of the US factory owners trying to knock him out, i think theres only about 6 at minute afaik, videos of production methods, slaughtering etc and chemicals used in meat washing to eliminate certain strains of bacteria, arent allowed to be published ,nor are video evidence of their labour recruitment adverts in Mexico and transport arrangements through US "customs", so probably if irish beef probably sourced in S America does appear it wont rock the boat in my opinion, as long as its packed in Irish owned factories , imo as international beef factory owners they are probably on nodding terms already with each other and, with the regulators, as long as he is not in competition sourcing beef animals. its that area all beef factory owners target for profiteering, easy targets, best pickings no political backlash, if US factories take action, its irish beef producers will suffer, imo certain financial insurance guarantees are in place to protect factories," in the national interest of course"
    i dont expect a backlash as witnessed by Chocolate manufacturers against Cadburys or McDonalds against Supermacs

Anybody at sales this week ? What's 600-650kg Ch bullocks making? 2 yr old. Not interested in factories after last years carryon. Tanx.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

Nettleman wrote: »
    Anybody at sales this week ? What's 600-650kg Ch bullocks making? 2 yr old. Not interested in factories after last years carryon. Tanx.

Weight plus €800-850, balla last Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Miname wrote: »
    I've one the same to go. A third Calvers that threw a dead calf. Around 650kg il be expecting around 1350 through the ring.
    just curiosity, did you do a blood test on her, just wondering, could it be iodine deficiency or selenium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

sandydan wrote: »
    just curiosity, did you do a blood test on her, just wondering, could it be iodine deficiency or selenium.

She got blooded alright but it's only the one to get her through the mart. The dead calf was down to me not keeping a tight enough eye on her. I ordered a Moocall this evening so hopefully no more of that.

The ffers have them back 5 cent. And cattle are being threw them. Starting to reduce number of days kill and talking of another pull next week. The games have begun ladies and gentlemen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

The ffers have them back 5 cent. And cattle are being threw them. Starting to reduce number of days kill and talking of another pull next week. The games have begun ladies and gentlemen..

Yea in Dawn yesterday at lunchtime and it was nearly full for today at that stage there getting all they need.

One thing I did see was a load of dry cows there which were going to be cut a lot as werent finished - I just taught it was a shame as they were good framy cows that if they got grass for a few months they would be worth a good bit more!

ellewood wrote: »
    Yea in Dawn yesterday at lunchtime and it was nearly full for today at that stage there getting all they need.

One thing I did see was a load of dry cows there which were going to be cut a lot as werent finished - I just taught it was a shame as they were good framy cows that if they got grass for a few months they would be worth a good bit more!

Could be a restricted herd.. But nothing stranger than folk as they say. was talking to vet yesterday telling me of under fleshed cows being hung up that within weeks and sometimes days of calving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Could be a restricted herd.. But nothing stranger than folk as they say. was talking to vet yesterday telling me of under fleshed cows being hung up that within weeks and sometimes days of calving.

It was like that in the days of the premiums. As soon as the last 'punch' was drawn, cattle were sent to the factory, fit ir not. It just didn't make sense to feed.

• Advertisement

So much for the USA and China then.... never mind that sterling has hit 8 week high yesterday....

All that is going on is processors will first pull prices by maybe 10ish cent/kg and then start to stack cattle by trying to force farmers to book them in 10-14 days in advance. They will use the Bank Holiday and Easter to back up supplies as both are close togeather this year. There aim is to get to late aptil with out a significant price rise if there are a lot of cattle in the pipe line,

Never made money out of cattle that I fed for Late February to Mid April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

All that is going on is processors will first pull prices by maybe 10ish cent/kg and then start to stack cattle by trying to force farmers to book them in 10-14 days in advance. They will use the Bank Holiday and Easter to back up supplies as both are close togeather this year. There aim is to get to late aptil with out a significant price rise if there are a lot of cattle in the pipe line,

Never made money out of cattle that I fed for Late February to Mid April.

All true plus they trying to cool down the mart trade as they and their big suppliers have alot of cattle to buy.

Hershall wrote: »
    All true plus they trying to cool down the mart trade as they and their big suppliers have alot of cattle to buy.
    They can bring their cheque books to the sales ring next week, my 2 year olds forward stores can also be put to grass for another 6 months, or killed at current weights, so hopefully farmers will be bidding against them. sterling men are also looking & bidding hard, and that should keep the pressure on usual feedlot/factory buyers. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

any quotes for heavy cows O's maybe an odd P

preferably roscrea or slaney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Any agent will tell you. If you put them up a bit lads will hold out hoping for more after a week or two. If you drop them farmer will peg them at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭leoch

WAT IS HEIFERS AT NOW AND FOR NEXT WEEK

orm0nd wrote: »
    any quotes for heavy cows O's maybe an odd P

preferably roscrea or slaney

If good heavy o's I'd try Slaney for 3.65/3.70

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

What's the quotes for next week

Word is slaney is booked out with bullocks 4.10 heifers 4.20. Will they try another pull?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

absolutely they will.its there business too.if they stuck there head into any mart ring this last while they would say quote we are paying these lads too much.when they can afford to pay some off wats being paid for young stock. quoted 4.20 nxt wk for heifers in abp clones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Heard 4.25 for a regular in one of the big factory's for Friday

Duke92 wrote: »
    Heard 4.25 for a regular in one of the big factory's for Friday

WHat factory. Last Friday or next?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭ELP

Showed a couple of blks today average £2.10 per kg.
    ChX 18 to 24 months, 530kg r maybe u 20 month £1160 (€1600) dont know where next man can take that to get a turn. Well up on last month down here long may it last.

ELP wrote: »
    Showed a couple of blks today average £2.10 per kg.
    ChX 18 to 24 months, 530kg r maybe u 20 month £1160 (€1600) dont know where next man can take that to get a turn. Well up on last month down here long may it last.
    There's a general expectation that prices will shoot up after lads put cattle to grass, cos they won't let them away until grass is gone, I still stick to my prediction of 450euros by end June/ July. Factories are trying but failing to hold mart prices for thier feedlots, who need replacements for the cheap stock they bought last autumn, but farmers are now recouping some of those losses from the feedlots and about time too. Next farmer buyer is taking a punt , with no guarentees , but where else can he turn , cows are dear, calves are mental, heifers are hot, sheep are on par with liquid gold! What else is a finishing farmer meant to do?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

There's a general expectation that prices will shoot up after lads put cattle to grass, cos they won't let them away until grass is gone, I still stick to my prediction of 450euros by end June/ July. Factories are trying but failing to hold mart prices for thier feedlots, who need replacements for the cheap stock they bought last autumn, but farmers are now recouping some of those losses from the feedlots and about time too. Next farmer buyer is taking a punt , with no guarentees , but where else can he turn , cows are dear, calves are mental, heifers are hot, sheep are on par with liquid gold! What else is a finishing farmer meant to do?

Neighbour was telling me weanlings and yearlings were back in the mart yesterday, surely too early for a knock on effect. He picked up a few nice ones for €800.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭leoch

Wat kind of cattle and weight s did he pick up for 800 ap ? I was at a mart yesterday and anything that weight heifers was 850 950 even nice shaped ch, lim, sim 350kgs was 900 to 1150,1200 clean mental a few shippers there buying everything and anything anyprice nice if u were selling all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

AP2014 wrote: »
    Neighbour was telling me weanlings and yearlings were back in the mart yesterday, surely too early for a knock on effect. He picked up a few nice ones for €800.

Haven't noticed any change in the last few weeks. 400kg heifers average 1100 Euro. And much the same as this time last year for those type of heifers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Robson99 wrote: »
    Haven't noticed any change in the last few weeks. 400kg heifers average 1100 Euro. And much the same as this time last year for those type of heifers.

Agreed. Sold 358kg parthenaise heifer last week. 1025 euro

leoch wrote: »
    Wat kind of cattle and weight s did he pick up for 800 ap ? I was at a mart yesterday and anything that weight heifers was 850 950 even nice shaped ch, lim, sim 350kgs was 900 to 1150,1200 clean mental a few shippers there buying everything and anything anyprice nice if u were selling all the same
    Agreed. Sold 358kg parthenaise heifer last week. 1025 euro

These were young bulls lads, chx and lmx he said. I didn't see them myself but I would say 260kg to 300kg. Not sure of quality either. Say he will squeeze them.

I was onto the dealer yesterday too he said he would pick me up a few for €800 the week after next. He also said they were back abit. Happy out if he does as I thought I would be paying easily €900 from what I am hearing on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

These were young bulls lads, chx and lmx he said. I didn't see them myself but I would say 260kg to 300kg. Not sure of quality either. Say he will squeeze them.

I was onto the dealer yesterday too he said he would pick me up a few for €800 the week after next. He also said they were back abit. Happy out if he does as I thought I would be paying easily €900 from what I am hearing on here.

Have you decided what your going to buy then ap?

• Advertisement

Have you decided what your going to buy then ap?

Same as larry, light continentals from 250kg to 320kg if he can pick them up for around €800. Was going to go black white heads if continentals were too dear. Thought about selling more silage but might hold off on that now and see can I pick up a few extra bullocks.

Might even bite the bullet and throw out a ton or two of potash this September if there is money to be made out of cattle this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Same as larry, light continentals from 250kg to 320kg if he can pick them up for around €800. Was going to go black white heads if continentals were too dear. Thought about selling more silage but might hold off on that now and see can I pick up a few extra bullocks.

Might even bite the bullet and throw out a ton or two of potash this September if there is money to be made out of cattle this year.

I think that's the beauty of having a dealer buying for you . Not every animal makes the big money and if you can visit a good few marts over a couple of weeks you will assemble a bunch at reasonable cost . What does he charge to buy and drop them in your yard AP ?

AP, are you sweating that your model may be in trouble this spring??!!

Bullocks wrote: »
    I think that's the beauty of having a dealer buying for you . Not every animal makes the big money and if you can visit a good few marts over a couple of weeks you will assemble a bunch at reasonable cost . What does he charge to buy and drop them in your yard AP ?

Its great alright, I wanted them next week but he said he wouldn't get them as weather is too dodgy. He'll start picking them up from the end of next week and deliver maybe saturday week if weather turns bad. Said he will drop them in his shed for a few days if bad weather. Doesn't give me any individual prices, charges for the bunch and he takes his cut. Works well as he knows what I am after, I don't even bother asking him what individual prices are. He know what I am wiling to pay.
    AP, are you sweating that your model may be in trouble this spring??!!

No and I have said it many times here, my model is safe enough until 2020. I already have 2 lads looking for silage so if I can't buy cattle fairly handy I will up my silage sales. Nasty week of weather ahead should help cattle prices though.

Lads SFP will be back a bit in October but the majority of beef/suckler guys as far as I can see aren't over interested in making money. A lot are retired farmers or part time and are more interested in writing of tax. If not why would lads be paying some of the prices they are now. I will keep every penny I spend and make this year and update all at the end of year. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Its great alright, I wanted them next week but he said he wouldn't get them as weather is too dodgy. He'll start picking them up from the end of next week and deliver maybe saturday week if weather turns bad. Said he will drop them in his shed for a few days if bad weather. Doesn't give me any individual prices, charges for the bunch and he takes his cut. Works well as he knows what I am after, I don't even bother asking him what individual prices are. He know what I am wiling to pay.

No and I have said it many times here, my model is safe enough until 2020. I already have 2 lads looking for silage so if I can't buy cattle fairly handy I will up my silage sales. Nasty week of weather ahead should help cattle prices though.

Lads SFP will be back a bit in October but the majority of beef/suckler guys as far as I can see aren't over interested in making money. A lot are retired farmers or part time and are more interested in writing of tax. If not why would lads be paying some of the prices they are now. I will keep every penny I spend and make this year and update all at the end of year. :D

You're a cute aul f:cker ap ;)

You're a cute aul f:cker ap ;)

HA, we'll find out in November and not half as cute as the hoors here claiming to be losing money every year :rolleyes: Also should say besides various marts dealer picks up a few direct from local farmers. Reckon that's where he make his money anyway.

Seen 370 kg friesian bullocks getting 730 last week. Well reared yearlings but ordinary plain enough sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Seen 370 kg friesian bullocks getting 730 last week. Well reared yearlings but ordinary plain enough sorts.

Seen two bunches of 8 in roscrea friday.

340kg and 320 both bunches made 755. There was two or three very plain cattle on each bunch but they were well grown healthy cattle. Thought it was madness but grand for the man selling.

mf240 wrote: »

340kg and 320 both bunches made 755. There was two or three very plain cattle on each bunch but they were well grown healthy cattle. Thought it was madness but grand for the man selling.

Nuts. A hundred with it will buy them next October provided he does them well.

• Advertisement

mf240 wrote: »

Nuts. A hundred with it will buy them next October provided he does them well.

Would not be too sure. If they put 230 kgs on they be 560 on average which would be good weight gain. Such cattle always sell well in autumn. If we have a strong factory price next fall such cattle may well trade at or near 2/kg. Very strong price for such cattle and maybe they will be at the 1.6/kg in the autumn but it could be the other price as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement