Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

4.15 all I can get in slaney for underage bullocks for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

Willfarman wrote: »
    4.15 all I can get in slaney for underage bullocks for next week.

don't sell anything for that money

I got 4.20 for a over 40 month old bullock a week ago

things will tighten yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

things will tighten yet

40 months? Was he a pet?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 keysersoze1

things will tighten yet
    nice for over forty months,thought they were fussy once over 36..was he in the middle of a load.they tell me there's value in them agey lads in the marts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

4.20 next week in dawn wateford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

leg wax wrote: »
    4.20 next week in dawn wateford

Heifers, cows, elephants, mother in law???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Muckit wrote: »

Don't get rid of the mother in law just when there is a new child for minding in the house . The factory is isn't always the answer!

Bullocks wrote: »
    Don't get rid of the mother in law just when there is a new child for minding in the house . The factory is isn't always the answer!

Contract rear her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Contract rear her.

Only dairy farmers can afford to contract rear and they do not want to pay enough to leave a margin

Only dairy farmers can afford to contract rear and they do not want to pay enough to leave a margin

Haha in top form this Sunday morning pudsey!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

sorry i thought it was :eek: clear bullocks ,following on from willfarmer :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Up to 4.15 for U grade cows in Nenagh this week which was a fantastic price I taught until I went to Ross yesterday and fat but not fully finished U grade cows were making around 2.35/Kg and one made 2.50/Kg :eek: So the lads buying them must be getting even more and all the lads buying them were getting thick if they didnt get them!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

ellewood wrote: »
    Up to 4.15 for U grade cows in Nenagh this week which was a fantastic price I taught until I went to Ross yesterday and fat but not fully finished U grade cows were making around 2.35/Kg and one made 2.50/Kg :eek: So the lads buying them must be getting even more and all the lads buying them were getting thick if they didnt get them!

That's 5c better than I got quoted for U grade bulls over 24mths, and only 5c less than u24 mths U grade bulls. I wonder where are they going, France?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

blue5000 wrote: »
    That's 5c better than I got quoted for U grade bulls over 24mths, and only 5c less than u24 mths U grade bulls. I wonder where are they going, France?

Very same place as heifers probably.

The cow price always rises first when beef is scare.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm guessing nobody is culling dairy cows anymore unless they are down to 2 spins.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    I'm guessing nobody is culling dairy cows anymore unless they are down to 2 spins.

I would not bet on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

What's happening out there guys and gals

I'm not able to get more than 4.15 for bullocks. And there's no hardball to play. Just told to keep em if I want..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

I'm not able to get more than 4.15 for bullocks. And there's no hardball to play. Just told to keep em if I want..

Paper today said there's better prices in midlands and north but southern factories been lower ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

Nettleman wrote: »
    Paper today said there's better prices in midlands and north but southern factories been lower ..

4.15 for bks next week? ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Hey lads
    I'm no farmer, just curious. How much is a mature cow worth at slaughter?

Are the kg prices being quote for the whole cow, or culled meat? The prices seem high if its for the whole cow

househero wrote: »
    Hey lads
    I'm no farmer, just curious. How much is a mature cow worth at slaughter?

Are the kg prices being quote for the whole cow, or culled meat? The prices seem high if its for the whole cow

The price is DW(deadweigh) this is the carcass weight after the hide, head, legs from knees down and insides guts and offal are removed. Cows that are well fleshed kill out from about 43-52% depending on quality and breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭leoch

Any quotes for heifers this coming week and wat do the experts on here see the factory prices doing in the next few weeks or month

Am no expert but I am informed 4.10 is it for bullocks next week.

Am no expert but I am informed 4.10 is it for bullocks next week.

Would not be surprised cattle coming into them strong last two weeks, they had no issue holding prices over Easter, too many lads churning cattle over 70-100 days. They used finishers to fill a gap over last 3 weeks without emptying there own feedlots. June/July could be interesting but it may be later in the year before the money is made.

The other issue is sterling and the dollor are way stronger than the euro. Lads that paid over the odds for summer grazing may be under pressure at the end of the year.

• Advertisement

Would not be surprised cattle coming into them strong last two weeks, they had no issue holding prices over Easter, too many lads churning cattle over 70-100 days. They used finishers to fill a gap over last 3 weeks without emptying there own feedlots. June/July could be interesting but it may be later in the year before the money is made.

The other issue is sterling and the dollor are way stronger than the euro. Lads that paid over the odds for summer grazing may be under pressure at the end of the year.

The highly trumpeted announcements about the opening of the U.S. and Chinese markets don't seem to have brought any extra processer demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Ive 8 stores left to sell 12-17mts. Ive good bit of grass which the calves wont eat quick enough . Would ya think I should let them off to the mart as was going to hold them till later in summer? Could always strip graze the grass or silage.

Ive 8 stores left to sell 12-17mts. Ive good bit of grass which the calves wont eat quick enough . Would ya think I should let them off to the mart as was going to hold them till later in summer? Could always strip graze the grass or silage.

Cattle prices are dictated by factory prices. I do not think we will get a price collapse. The type of cattle you have will be scarse in the autumn anyway. Lots of 2013/2014 calves were exported. I would not be afraid to hold as steam has gone out of mart price to an extent. However like everything to do with drystock it is a gamble to a certain extent

Grass is cheap. If you have good grass for them for the summer and get reasonable weight gain they should at least cover their keep over their current value. Unbelievable what weight small cattle put up between earl May to mid July.

Cattle prices are dictated by factory prices. I do not think we will get a price collapse. The type of cattle you have will be scarse in the autumn anyway. Lots of 2013/2014 calves were exported. I would not be afraid to hold as steam has gone out of mart price to an extent. However like everything to do with drystock it is a gamble to a certain extent

Thanks Puds. Was thinking mart prices were easing a bit alright and hopefully they will be a shortage later in year again. i will keep going till grass is as plentiful as ever but not quite as long!

• Advertisement

Grass is cheap. If you have good grass for them for the summer and get reasonable weight gain they should at least cover their keep over their current value. Unbelievable what weight small cattle put up between earl May to mid July.

Have good grass at the moment and will hold tight for now. No point looking at grass and having to close it off for extra silage we won't need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Don't know about your part of the country but grass hasn't really taken off yet here. You want to be stocked tightly now. You should even be thinking of buying a few more (keenly) to put with them. Loads of lads flogging cattle straight out of the shed that haven't seen a blade of grass yet this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Don't know about your part of the country but grass hasn't really taken off yet here. You want to be stocked tightly now. You should even be thinking of buying a few more (keenly) to put with them. Loads of lads flogging cattle straight out of the shed that haven't seen a blade of grass yet this year.

I can't understand that shyte. Kept the cattle in an extra 3 weeks due to lack of grass. Auld lad was going cracked but fu&k him. Too many lads let the calendar dictate what to do.

I had 8inches of grass at start of april. Extremely dry ground here so this rain is welcome . I start to suffer in times like last summer grass started to burn mad with the dry weather. A normal middle of the road irish summer suits me fine.as long as I can get a week start of june for silage and week in july for hay im good.

I can't understand that shyte. Kept the cattle in an extra 3 weeks due to lack of grass. Auld lad was going cracked but fu&k him. Too many lads let the calendar dictate what to do.

No point having them out knocking gaps and ploughing fields and looking hungry. Know loads of lads who work from paddys day or 1st of april like religion and 3weeks later round feeder is out. Asked a neighbour would ya not put them back in for a week . I got a look that would sour milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Stores go out here usually March 1st. But if conditions go against us we UT them back in again fir a couple of days until ground dries out. Doesn't matter if it the month of April or the month of July. No point in making a mess of fields for the sake of a day or two indoors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Had half them out for 3 weeks in Feb (never before on this farm!), all out for 3 days in Feb, and none out for any of March and a fair share of April. Paddocks and roadways helping greatly when conditions are marginal and at the shoulders.

Anyone else selling cattle this week?

Anyone else selling cattle this week?

Digging in myself
    although I need money to stock new ground
    not moving until June
    But I've Mainly bull's in shed that can take more feeding
    See no rise for few weeks
    Stores still mad here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Talk of a cut coming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Robson99 wrote: »
    Talk of a cut coming

As soon as they do lads will be firing cattle at them.The usual sh1t haemorrhage by people who should know better and will be whinging when the price drops.
    Cattle are scarce at the minute why else are lads giving nearly a thousand plus their weight for stores or are they crazy???

I said wrote: »
    As soon as they do lads will be firing cattle at them.The usual sh1t haemorrhage by people who should know better and will be whinging when the price drops.
    Cattle are scarce at the minute why else are lads giving nearly a thousand plus their weight for stores or are they crazy???
    It's that They are crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Still 3.70 O&P cows

I said wrote: »
    epfff wrote: »
    It's that They are crazy

I agree that the money being paid for stores is crazy. However I said is also right cattle are scarse. There price has been driven upby lads buying to stock for DA and not wanting to cut silage and hay this year with stock left over from last year.

However cattle are scarse big question are some lads finishing too many cattle. Over whole year not kill vary's little. Some lads are trying too had to get into high priced parts of the year. There was a time when cattle were scarse from April to July however now too many are throwing too much ration into cattle to finish in June to get a precieved high price. If this is an average-poor year for grass growth kill will drop. We have not yeat really eaten into the 100K cattle that are short this year and it may be higher than that.

Anyone any quotes for bullocks killed this week or booked in for next?

No quotes here
    Kill full for next week is only quote I can get and lots of cattle around
    Marts still gone mad

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pat73

Rathkeale are 4.08 for bullocks and 4.15 for hefiers for tomorrow.Nothing like bad weather to drive down the price.That is base price so if you have an o you are getting a nice hit on the base price

pat73 wrote: »
    Rathkeale are 4.08 for bullocks and 4.15 for hefiers for tomorrow.Nothing like bad weather to drive down the price.That is base price so if you have an o you are getting a nice hit on the base price

Thanks pat. 4.10 slaney for blks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

4.15 for bullocks this week in kepak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

Rehoused bks yesterday that were out six weeks and beef slipping. It's all good this week! !!!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement