Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Hershall wrote: »
    Rehoused bks yesterday that were out six weeks and beef slipping. It's all good this week! !!!!!!!!

Were they losing condition? Were you mealing them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

Muckit wrote: »
    Were they losing condition? Were you mealing them?

Ground very wet and they doing damage as grass scarce so put them in for a few days to let land recover. Ya they getting meal was aiming for July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

restive wrote: »
    4.15 for bullocks this week in kepak.

What day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Willfarman wrote: »
    What day?

Killed today.

Abp waterford. Slaney. Liffey meats hacketstown. All on 4.10. Since last Friday. Booked out in slaney for coming week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

had a few culls to go this week, normally ring agent and he says to drop them up that evening or next morning, had to wait a week this time as they where booked up, oh gone with them there now, this was duleek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Must be emptying there own feedlots .

Every one of them singing the same tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    had a few culls to go this week, normally ring agent and he says to drop them up that evening or next morning, had to wait a week this time as they where booked up, oh gone with them there now, this was duleek

no problem getting cows into Roscrea ,mondays or wednesdays

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Some of my land is currently flooded and with the below average growth the decision to sell was made for me.

orm0nd wrote: »
    no problem getting cows into Roscrea ,mondays or wednesdays
    normally no problem here either but they are flat out, also the bank holiday would have messed things up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Tornbrook

opinions please

sold a bull yearling last week, was happy enough with the price, I was planning to go to mart this weekend, in the market for 400kg heifer ( small numbers for me, as you can tell)

Advice from 'above' is hold off until until Oct, what do you reckon stick or twist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

mf240 wrote: »

Yes I imagine that they are killing out of trhere own feedlots. Over last few weeks they must have been getting enough between contract cattle and non contracted cattle to fill there lines and contracts. However after about 80 days cattle from feedlots start to lose thrive, especiallthy this time of year with cattle being in shed over the winter. They will now try to back up cattle and prebook. Always taught taht it is hard to make money out ofr calle fed all winter. Cannot understand some lads having cattle inside as cattle are really thriving outside.

In general kill has continue very strong. However this time last year kill wsa over 30K/week so we should start to eat into the gap however that depends on amount of cattle in sheds. Prices may well not be as strong as lads who bought acttle in the spring taught.

Other issue is competition on procesing side seems to not exist. It amazing that again with strong Uk prices and a week euro we are failing to see a real substancial lift inprices. It is also amazing that again all processors are droping prices togeather. You would assume that
    in a compeditive market that a feww smaller lads would see this as an opportunity to build market share and holdd prices to run there liones at full capacity.

However No farm body will compain to competition authority and it will not take action as it seems in there opinion no collusion exists

Tornbrook wrote: »
    opinions please

sold a bull yearling last week, was happy enough with the price, I was planning to go to mart this weekend, in the market for 400kg heifer ( small numbers for me, as you can tell)

Advice from 'above' is hold off until until Oct, what do you reckon stick or twist?

I be buying when opportunity arises over the summer as store prices will remain strong due to 2013 and 2014 cattle will be in short supply. This yeras calvesw ill not create a glut until late in 2016

Yes I imagine that they are killing out of trhere own feedlots. Over last few weeks they must have been getting enough between contract cattle and non contracted cattle to fill there lines and contracts. However after about 80 days cattle from feedlots start to lose thrive, especiallthy this time of year with cattle being in shed over the winter. They will now try to back up cattle and prebook. Always taught taht it is hard to make money out ofr calle fed all winter. Cannot understand some lads having cattle inside as cattle are really thriving outside.

In general kill has continue very strong. However this time last year kill wsa over 30K/week so we should start to eat into the gap however that depends on amount of cattle in sheds. Prices may well not be as strong as lads who bought acttle in the spring taught.

Other issue is competition on procesing side seems to not exist. It amazing that again with strong Uk prices and a week euro we are failing to see a real substancial lift inprices. It is also amazing that again all processors are droping prices togeather. You would assume that
    in a compeditive market that a feww smaller lads would see this as an opportunity to build market share and holdd prices to run there liones at full capacity.

However No farm body will compain to competition authority and it will not take action as it seems in there opinion no collusion exists

I be buying when opportunity arises over the summer as store prices will remain strong due to 2013 and 2014 cattle will be in short supply. This yeras calvesw ill not create a glut until late in 2016
    God I'd hate to be one them "some lads"! :D.. Big cattle definitely are not thriving out this last two weeks. Smaller cattle surprisingly are doing ok. The scales tells the tales..

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

the shed is the only place to get every last bit of fat on a bullocks back

looking to build more sheds here to move all the finishing cattle inside to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

There is no point letting cattle out of the shed that are going to be killed in may

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

mf240 wrote: »

+1
    Big difference in the av price reported by dept and what us lads are getting. Euro is after gaining a bit on sterling so they can use that as an excuse too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Hershall wrote: »
    Rehoused bks yesterday that were out six weeks and beef slipping. It's all good this week! !!!!!!!!

rehoused all in start of march and let them out 15th april , about 8 inches of grass in fields, feeding 2kgs beef nuts as well to bullocks of 400-550 kgs, seem contented at min but another week will see grass being trampled if conditions deteriorate,
    dont know whether to feed for another while to 600-650 kg or sell of as is
    see neighbours cows trampling grass thats imo fit for baling but grazing tight so no choice .cant be good for pr or bf or regrowth

the shed is the only place to get every last bit of fat on a bullocks back

looking to build more sheds here to move all the finishing cattle inside to hell
    Robson99 wrote: »
    There is no point letting cattle out of the shed that are going to be killed in may

The question is ''is it profitable''

If we all got what feedlots get it might be, 450-460c?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

blue5000 wrote: »

are you thinking of leasing to them , at current cost of building id hate to be depending on them passing on the cream of the prices.

• Advertisement

Nope, sure I've SFA buildings, 50 cubicles, 3 bay straw bed shed+some open air slats.

blue5000 wrote: »

But we are not getting what feedlots gets and along with that processors are allowed to fill there own feedlots and feed cattle that they know will not make a profit themselves but will make them money by being able to control the beef price. We see this happening again and again.

IMO yes. Letting cattle out that are within 6-8 weeks of being killed is not what I would be doing. They will still have to be supplemented with concentrates to get fat cover on, so whats the point in letting them out

IMO yes. Letting cattle out that are within 6-8 weeks of being killed is not what I would be doing. They will still have to be supplemented with concentrates to get fat cover on, so whats the point in letting them out

And they are no way near as efficient use of an acre of early grass as yearlings. I I hung up plain friesians last week 27 months old. 320 kg carcass @€;1250. Bought 320kg similar type yearlings today @ €490. Same principle applies to better qaulity cattle Imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

And they are no way near as efficient use of an acre of early grass as yearlings. I I hung up plain friesians last week 27 months old. 320 kg carcass @€;1250. Bought 320kg similar type yearlings today @ €490. Same principle applies to better qaulity cattle Imo
    How much meal did those fr get? Always interested in other lads of way of doing fr blks there a hard animal to get meat on at that age

How much meal did those fr get? Always interested in other lads of way of doing fr blks there a hard animal to get meat on at that age
    started 2 kg a day nov. 4 kg dec. 5kg jan February March. 7kg high maize meal april between 2 feeds. Eat a lot less silage when meal is increased. Some where between 3 quarters to a tonne in total.

You will also find lads that will tell you continetal cattle can't be fleshed under 3 year old..

You will also find lads that will tell you continetal cattle can't be fleshed under 3 year old..

and I will tell you that its an animal by animal basis whether they will be finished at a certain age

for example some white charolais bullocks get mud fat within a few weeks of feeding and other ones you could pump 2 tonne into them and there wouldn't even be a crease on their belly

have a few 2 year old charolais in the shed at the end of their feeding period and there is a few of them close to the tonne, I could safely say you cannot beat charolais cattle for finishing, im finding it harder and harder to find good charolais stores in the marts in the last year or more

however I couldn't really comment on fresians for finishing as I have never had the pleasure of killing any :)

IThe charolais x is the best all round beef breed in my book by a country mile. Docility, conformation and if you get right ones, a great rack to hang meat off. A good topline, the ones you could nearly get up and lye on their backs and fall asleep.

IThe charolais x is the best all round beef breed in my book by a country mile. Docility, conformation and if you get right ones, a great rack to hang meat off. A good topline, the ones you could nearly get up and lye on their backs and fall asleep.

Plus one there. I had a lad hang up 2 weeks ago 490kg at 26 mths of age. Done 1.5 kg since nov. Seen similar stores yesterday weighing only 520 kg. a month older. brought 1300. How it wouldn't of payed to put the tonne of meal in them is beyond me?

• Advertisement

Plus one there. I had a lad hang up 2 weeks ago 490kg at 26 mths of age. Done 1.5 kg since nov. Seen similar stores yesterday weighing only 520 kg. a month older. brought 1300. How it wouldn't of payed to put the tonne of meal in them is beyond me?

Totally agree Will. Often get charlaois x heifers into 420kg + carcass at 24months. Best heifer this year was ch x ba. 470kg carcass at 24 mths. Graded E-3=. Went from €1100 Feb 2014 to €2180 in March 2015. And everyone said I was mad paying €1100 fir her

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

Totally agree Will. Often get charlaois x heifers into 420kg + carcass at 24months. Best heifer this year was ch x ba. 470kg carcass at 24 mths. Graded E-3=. Went from €1100 Feb 2014 to €2180 in March 2015. And everyone said I was mad paying €1100 fir her

Serious goin what weight was she at purchase.what treatment,feeding did she get since

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    Serious goin what weight was she at purchase.what treatment,feeding did she get since

400kg. On grass till 1st nov. 3kg/day in Nov, 5kg Dec, 7kg Jan and 10kg in Feb.Maize, Barley and Beef Nut mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Bigbird1

400kg. On grass till 1st nov. 3kg/day in Nov, 5kg Dec, 7kg Jan and 10kg in Feb.Maize, Barley and Beef Nut mix.

What brand meal u feeding?

its hard get heifers into such high weights

Bigbird1 wrote: »
    What brand meal u feeding?

its hard get heifers into such high weights

Buffalo beef nut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

feckin mad paying E1100 for 400kg animal :)

• Advertisement

get rid of them heifers :pac:

had chx bb bulls killing 510 kg dead at 14 months

the only problem with him was his legs would give up soon with the weight of him so had to kill him before it became a problem

id hate to think what weight he would be if kept any longer:)

My bullock that died 490 grossed 2150. u-2+. Was bought last April 460 kg. € 1090 group of 4. Other 3 won't be going for a fortnight or so and wouldn't be near as big and one is unlikely to get beyond r+ but they will gross 1900. Looked very dear a month later when I bought 600+ kilo lads for €1150ish but they be working ok. Hard to beat the friesians for bang for your buck tho. Pot of money stretches to a lot of heads.

My bullock that died 490 grossed 2150. u-2+. Was bought last April 460 kg. € 1090 group of 4. Other 3 won't be going for a fortnight or so and wouldn't be near as big and one is unlikely to get beyond r+ but they will gross 1900. Looked very dear a month later when I bought 600+ kilo lads for €1150ish but they be working ok. Hard to beat the friesians for bang for your buck tho. Pot of money stretches to a lot of heads.

Great twist. That heifer above was also from a group a four. The others were gone approx 4 weeks before her. But she was one you could just keep feeding on. They averaged 430 kg carcass one with the other.
    All heifers fattened here as quicker turnaround. They suit my system. The fresians blocks are like the horny lambs. You can get a lot of them for relatively small outlay. They just need time to fatten compared to the lowland lamb

Great twist. That heifer above was also from a group a four. The others were gone approx 4 weeks before her. But she was one you could just keep feeding on. They averaged 430 kg carcass one with the other.
    All heifers fattened here as quicker turnaround. They suit my system. The fresians blocks are like the horny lambs. You can get a lot of them for relatively small outlay. They just need time to fatten compared to the lowland lamb

Ah there's friesians and there are friesians! But yes the upland lamb is good comparison. Lower feed conversion. Grade and kill out but everything works at a price.

4.05 slaney this week. Bolox.

• Advertisement

God l'd love to have seen a pic of her but sure suppose can't now shes dead!

What to you guesstimate she was liveweight? +850kg ? She'd be a fine size agey cow let alone a 24mth heifer

God l'd love to have seen a pic of her but sure suppose can't now shes dead!

What to you guesstimate she was liveweight? +850kg ? She'd be a fine size agey cow let alone a 24mth heifer

She was 800kg -810 kgs approx muckit. Ill see if I can get pic. She had great length as well as conformation. You cant beat length when they are hanging

She was 800kg -810 kgs approx muckit. Ill see if I can get pic. She had great length as well as conformation. You cant beat length when they are hanging

don't forget width ! ;)
    and depth

and a big mouth:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

The problem is getting them out alive when you have sucklers. Difficult calvings mean cow slow to go back in calf. Calf also slow to get up and suck. It all adds up as cost for the suckler man. That's why they are not as popular as you'd expect.

4.05 and they are going to get them back under 4eur. Very disheartening. How many thousand cattle would they have in their feedlots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

got 4.08 today for a small few cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Where are prices going to be in a year and a half to two years when all the 2015 born calves are coming fit when we cant keep pressure on the factories to hold prices now. A few posts back there was talk of >500kg cattle and the money they made. The factories will have some craic with those cattle in a year or two unless we start exporting in earnest to the US and China. Yet every man that bought calves this spring must be confident.

the deduction for clipping is a joke , sent 3 cows last week , these had been outside , no dirt on them at all and i was charged 3 euro each for clippping!

DMAXMAN wrote: »
    got 4.08 today for a small few cattle

Where'd you go?

4.05 and they are going to get them back under 4eur. Very disheartening. How many thousand cattle would they have in their feedlots?

Jeezas I was lucky for once, everyone thought I was mad grazing yearling bulls last summer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement