Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

Willfarman wrote: »
    Where'd you go?
    ABP Waterford, not gone yet .Friday hopefullly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

whelan2 wrote: »
    the deduction for clipping is a joke , sent 3 cows last week , these had been outside , no dirt on them at all and i was charged 3 euro each for clippping!

Was it up near you that you were deducted for clipping. Virtually no factory charge for clipping at present. I be giving the agent an earful. Have not being charged clipping in over two years.

A good few did not get my point about too many now trying to get cattle finished out of sheds. It may be more profitable to store over winter and carry to grass in March and finish in July. Was reading in the Indo that there are over 180K less cattle in the 12-36 month age group that this time last year. These are cattle that will make the bulk of the kill for the next 15-18 months.

Another figure I came across is that is that so far this year the steer kill is up 165 and heifers are up 3%. The overall kill is down 3% however this is made up with cows being down 12% and young bulls are down 33%. Over the last few years a lot of dairy farmers may have culled hard and are going forward with young herds. Kill may be a lot tighter than we think for rest of year

http://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/supplies.aspx

2017 will be a tricky year as lots of HE and AA calves this year or so we are lead to believe. If factory get over 30K /week the heavy bullocks and bulls will be persona non grata again along with overage cattle cattle with horns, pink red and blue cattle and anything else they can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

Was it up near you that you were deducted for clipping. Virtually no factory charge for clipping at present. I be giving the agent an earful. Have not being charged clipping in over two years.

A good few did not get my point about too many now trying to get cattle finished out of sheds. It may be more profitable to store over winter and carry to grass in March and finish in July. Was reading in the Indo that there are over 180K less cattle in the 12-36 month age group that this time last year. These are cattle that will make the bulk of the kill for the next 15-18 months.

Another figure I came across is that is that so far this year the steer kill is up 165 and heifers are up 3%. The overall kill is down 3% however this is made up with cows being down 12% and young bulls are down 33%. Over the last few years a lot of dairy farmers may have culled hard and are going forward with young herds. Kill may be a lot tighter than we think for rest of year

http://www.bordbia.ie/industry/farmers/pricetracking/cattle/pages/supplies.aspx

2017 will be a tricky year as lots of HE and AA calves this year or so we are lead to believe. If factory get over 30K /week the heavy bullocks and bulls will be persona non grata again along with overage cattle cattle with horns, pink red and blue cattle and anything else they can think of.

And don't forget the big steaks from the heavy cattle that won't fit in the supermarket trays! !!!!!!€

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Where are prices going to be in a year and a half to two years when all the 2015 born calves are coming fit when we cant keep pressure on the factories to hold prices now. A few posts back there was talk of >500kg cattle and the money they made. The factories will have some craic with those cattle in a year or two unless we start exporting in earnest to the US and China. Yet every man that bought calves this spring must be confident.

Damn you CavanJack and your cold hearted logic! :-)
    Here's a mug who bought 25 suck calves....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

locky76 wrote: »

If trade is still good in autumn or early next spring you could still make a few quid selling as stores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

locky76 wrote: »

I might be a mug myself, bought a similar number in October but was afraid to chance any this spring when I heard the numbers registered and prices being paid. First year we never bought calves in the spring.
    I am hoping to Maybe buy in the autumn or next spring when some of these 2015 born calves will hit the marts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Well lads was reading the agriland website and just a little confused is all, is there a grant of 60% on a new slurry tank or am I wrong? Thanks

simx wrote: »
    Well lads was reading the agriland website and just a little confused is all, is there a grant of 60% on a new slurry tank or am I wrong? Thanks

Afaik If you qualify as a young farmer you can get a 60% grant on the following.
    Scroll down to annex c on this link for a list. http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingschemesandpayments/farmbuildings/tams/TAMSIIYFCISTC140515.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Any quotes?

• Advertisement

Any quotes?

I hear €3.20 up these parts for heifers 3.10 for steers more for aa's. I've a few fr Bulls coming fit in a couple of weeks hoping things will tighten up a bit by then.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I hear €3.20 up these parts for heifers 3.10 for steers more for aa's. I've a few fr Bulls coming fit in a couple of weeks hoping things will tighten up a bit by then.

I hope that is sterling.

Things looking a little brighter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

2 overage hol bulls last wed, 2.70/kg graded O=2+ killed out at 430kg in roscrea

Milked out wrote: »
    2 overage hol bulls last wed, 2.70/kg graded O=2+ killed out at 430kg in roscrea

What is overage, 16/24/30months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

What is overage, 16/24/30months?

Sorry one was 32 the other 39 months, was going to hold one as cover for the aa stock bull but they were gone dangerous

• Advertisement

Anyone any quotes for bullocks for next week?

Anyone any quotes for bullocks for next week?

Heard from a lad last night local factory was paying 4.15 earlier in the week back quoting 4.10 locally because of bank holiday week end. There average base by the journal figures must be around 4.2/kg. There fore cattle traveling to them must be north of 4.25 base. They would kill a lot of HE and AA which might cause a bit of the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

a bit of a crystal ball question, but where do lads see the price peak for the year?

Muckit wrote: »
    a bit of a crystal ball question, but where do lads see the price peak for the year?

September-November

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Really??

Would it be worth letting good cattle go overage (bet 30-36mth) then if they can carry more weight and a lad had the grass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Really??

Would it be worth letting good cattle go overage (bet 30-36mth) then if they can carry more weight and a lad had the grass?

I wouldn't. Kill when they are ready and buy some strong ones 2yo to replace them. Thats what I would do

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Already has. I honestly don't think we'll see 4.25 again this year. What made it good was strong sterling vs euro. I don't think Germany want's a weak euro for much longer, it pushes their inflation up, the rest of us in the eurozone will just have to bow down.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

One factory in kildare paid 4:20 for angus steers plus bonus
    Another is paying 4:25 for sutibale steers under 400 dead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭leoch

any quotes for heifers

Really??

It would depend on the cattle. Cattle that qualify for 12c QA I would kill as they become fit. Friesians are a different proposition in that in general only one in four qualify for QA. As well thet will go up a notch in the grid or matbe two depending how what level of finish you get on them.
    blue5000 wrote: »
    Already has. I honestly don't think we'll see 4.25 again this year. What made it good was strong sterling vs euro. I don't think Germany want's a weak euro for much longer, it pushes their inflation up, the rest of us in the eurozone will just have to bow down.

The main factor that decides price is supply. Steers kill is very forward this year. Cattle will have to get tighter over next 6 months. When is the question. Lots of lads trying to turn over cattle and replace. This is what keeps the mart price strong compared to factory price. It may well be taht at some stage this year supply will fall off a cliff. No cows, no bulls and steers being killed like they are going out of fashion.

It would depend on the cattle. Cattle that qualify for 12c QA I would kill as they become fit. Friesians are a different proposition in that in general only one in four qualify for QA. As well thet will go up a notch in the grid or matbe two depending how what level of finish you get on them.

The main factor that decides price is supply. Steers kill is very forward this year. Cattle will have to get tighter over next 6 months. When is the question. Lots of lads trying to turn over cattle and replace. This is what keeps the mart price strong compared to factory price. It may well be taht at some stage this year supply will fall off a cliff. No cows, no bulls and steers being killed like they are going out of fashion.
    I think the main factor is factory margin, if it gets that scarce/expensive they'll have an excuse to bring it in from S. America, sorry to pi55 on the parade.

Don't really think blue has a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Duke92 wrote: »

Batten down the hatches!!!!

Duke92 wrote: »

I hope I'm wrong too, but the back pages of the comic never refused ink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

What's a good buy at the minute FP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

leoch wrote: »
    any quotes for heifers

€4.45 flat for a mixed bunch of hex and aax

orm0nd wrote: »
    €4.45 flat for a mixed bunch of hex and aax

Flat to grade r? Or flat no matter what they hang up?

Flat to grade r? Or flat no matter what they hang up?

Flat no matter what ... a mate of mine owned

they were killed last friday I sold the hex as yearlings march last year @ €780 ex yard

dont have the exact figures but a good few of them made €1600 +/-

orm0nd wrote: »
    Flat no matter what ... a mate of mine owned

they were killed last friday I sold the hex as yearlings march last year @ €780 ex yard

dont have the exact figures but a good few of them made €1600 +/-

Ex yard last year and ex yard this year leaves different margins. Also it depends on if they are sucklers bred cattle or dairy bred cattle he sold. Good AA or HE suckler bred cattle wiil grade R- to R+. Dairy bred cattle will be O= to R-. As well dairy bred cattle will be out of a shed as opposed to suckler bred cattle off grass.

Even suckler bred aa and her will be back in the o + category.

Even suckler bred aa and her will be back in the o + category.

Not well finished good quality ones, You too young to bee still up. I going to bed now talk you in the morning.

If you buy aa and her type cattle you have to budget for them to grade O+=-. Take it as a bonus then if they throw up the odd r- or better. Nothing like them to disappoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

If you buy aa and her type cattle you have to budget for them to grade O+=-. Take it as a bonus then if they throw up the odd r- or better. Nothing like them to disappoint.

+1
    Also find they light On hook too

I live near 2 factories here and Agents lorrys very busy here this morning

What's to be got out their
    I have to move soon
    not that I need money or anything

What's the quotes on cattle and under 16 month fr Bulls

• Advertisement

Ex yard last year and ex yard this year leaves different margins. Also it depends on if they are sucklers bred cattle or dairy bred cattle he sold. Good AA or HE suckler bred cattle wiil grade R- to R+. Dairy bred cattle will be O= to R-. As well dairy bred cattle will be out of a shed as opposed to suckler bred cattle off grass.

all mine were dairy off spring

we sold ex yard again this year @ €900 to the same man, he has cheap stock judging by the prices I saw in Nenagh mart to day , admittedly he has grassed him for 2 months at this stage

Slaney 4.15 for us local goms. 4.20 abp waterford. Steers that be now.

What's quotes for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Have a stock bull that has become lame think I may have slaughter him local factory only paying 2.10 does anyone know whos pay well for this type of stock he is a charolais approx 1000kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Have a stock bull that has become lame think I may have slaughter him local factory only paying 2.10 does anyone know whos pay well for this type of stock he is a charolais approx 1000kg

roscrea

Ring a few agents for different factory's. Would expect that he is worth at least 3/kg if he has a bit of flesh on him he should kill about 55%

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    roscrea

I think roscrea were givin 3 for r's last week , ring justin or willie

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

Cheers lads

Cheers lads

You got sorted

leg wax wrote: »
    roscrea

+1 Let us know how you get on. If you have pedigree papers there might be 5/10 cent more to be got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

blue5000 wrote: »
    +1 Let us know how you get on. If you have pedigree papers there might be 5/10 cent more to be got.

Papers worth more?
    Be careful On price that fat score is not attached as stock bulls dont do fat score without lots of feeding

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement