Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Any prices for young bulls this week? Have heavy R type angus's & not so great O type Fr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

royaler83 wrote: »
    Any prices for young bulls this week? Have heavy R type angus's & not so great O type Fr

4.25 for r's and 4 for o's. An agent told me today if I've cattle anywhere near fit kill them because the price will be dropping in a few weeks. I've everything about the place booked in for tomorrow!! He wouldn't just be telling me that coz he's mad for cattle would he :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭jd06

jd06 wrote: »
    4.30 plus 12 for quality assured under age heifers today
    ballon meats

3 heifers heading off this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

R and 2 Us
    The second heifer is a proper one u+
    Did you breed her is she a blue blonde cross.

Duke92 wrote: »
    R and 2 Us
    The second heifer is a proper one u+
    Did you breed her is she a blue blonde cross.
    The agent said the same thing
    1 r and 2 u
    there all home bred
    the middle one is by a eurogene bb bull szs out of a very good ch cow

• Advertisement

What are the other 2 by
    Looks likes there's blonde in the mother
    Are they heavy and well feed

Duke92 wrote: »
    What are the other 2 by
    Looks likes there's blonde in the mother
    Are they heavy and well feed

Believe it or not the white one is an aa out of a heifer and de other bkue is by szs too
    they have been getting 2kg meal for 6 weeks
    wouldn be sure of their weight
    ill know soon

Reckon they could be up to €300 different in the white one and good blue

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

what are ye getting quoted at the minute lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

For Steers, was quoted 4:25 base this morning from a number of factories in the midlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

jd06 wrote: »
    3 heifers heading off this evening

Well how did you get on? They seemed young cattle.

Well fleshed young dry cows seem to be doing a great trade in the marts. € 1000+with their weight

Muckit wrote: »
    Well how did you get on? They seemed young cattle.

No idea yet.
    Might have it thisevening
    27 months old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

what are ye getting quoted at the minute lads?

Not me unfortunately - neighbour got E3.90 for O grade Fr cows last week and has a few AA/FR heifers to go and he is getting E4.40 flat price for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

3.60 for p cows 3.70 for Os and 3.90 for Rs today. Price above looks a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

4.30 to go to abp waterford next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

grassroot1 wrote: »
    3.60 for p cows 3.70 for Os and 3.90 for Rs today. Price above looks a lot better.

3.80 for o&ps to be got anywhere,€4 for rs and Id say more too, 3.90 for os is a good price, they must of been very good grading cows

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

is it a good time to be selling a few cattle on the mart lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

that's exactly where my finished 2 year olds are going in next few weeks-factories from north are bidding hard ringside for finished cattle so going to give the agent the slip this time !!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Nettleman wrote: »
    that's exactly where my finished 2 year olds are going in next few weeks-factories from north are bidding hard ringside for finished cattle so going to give the agent the slip this time !!;)

Gonna do the same myself with 5 heifers next week to see if I do better than the factory

Also there's a old neighbour of mine who keeps a few cattle and I help him out a small bit.
    He has a few hex heifers that look ready for the factory but he's non qa and only being offered 4.05 kg.
    which would probably worout around 900.
    What would the mart be like for these?

Also there's a old neighbour of mine who keeps a few cattle and I help him out a small bit.
    He has a few hex heifers that look ready for the factory but he's non qa and only being offered 4.05 kg.

have a look here
    https://publicapps.agriculture.gov.ie/bpw#
    -these prices will likely include 12c bonuses-so take off 12c for like-with-like. 4.05 as a base price doesn't sound right in todays tight supply situation

have a look here
    https://publicapps.agriculture.gov.ie/bpw#
    -these prices will likely include 12c bonuses-so take off 12c for like-with-like. 4.05 as a base price doesn't sound right in todays tight supply situation

There still cutting non qa hard and slaney wouldn't even take them. Easiest thing is the mart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

You would imagine that they would make at least 2.2/kg LW this is equivlent to a DW price of 4.2/kg stopages in a factory would be slightly less haulage much the same. ris is that you have to bring them home from the mart

Why would you be bringing them home from the mart? When you bring cattle out to either the factory or the mart, you bring them out to sell them and that's what you have to do. Same as you have to bargain hard with the factory agent, you must not sell soft when you are in the sellers box at the mart. Know what you have and their value.

It costs me less than 7euro/hd to blood test the few I sell. If I had numbers it would be less. I consider it money well spent. I wouldn't get the shade of the price I get in the mart in our local factory. The day you sell and the day you buy are two very important days in the drystock man's calendar.

Why would you be bringing them home from the mart? When you bring cattle out to either the factory or the mart, you bring them out to sell them and that's what you have to do. Same as you have to bargain hard with the factory agent, you must not sell soft when you are in the sellers box at the mart. Know what you have and their value.

It costs me less than 7euro/hd to blood test the few I sell. If I had numbers it would be less. I consider it money well spent. I wouldn't get the shade of the price I get in the mart in our local factory. The day you sell and the day you buy are two very important days in the drystock man's calendar.

Buyers pray on the unwary. The reality is that unless you have your own method of haulage( and that is a cost in itself) buyers know that you are at a disadvantage. Finished cattle are a slight different trade to stores. However I am often at a mart and I seldom see really well finished cattle make more than they would at the factory. The reality is that cattle bought through the mart cannot be QA and therefore are not suitable gor UK supermarket trade.

I have seen stock bulls make as low as 60% of factory price. In theory hard selling seem easy to do but you need soft buyers and in general the lads around the ring tend not to be doing that. I agre that buyiong and selling days are the most important in the calender and too many farmers ignore there importance.

You would imagine that they would make at least 2.2/kg LW this is equivlent to a DW price of 4.2/kg stopages in a factory would be slightly less haulage much the same. ris is that you have to bring them home from the mart
    2.20! Is what i was thinking. I'll let yee know next week anyway

Buyers pray on the unwary. The reality is that unless you have your own method of haulage( and that is a cost in itself) buyers know that you are at a disadvantage. Finished cattle are a slight different trade to stores. However I am often at a mart and I seldom see really well finished cattle make more than they would at the factory. The reality is that cattle bought through the mart cannot be QA and therefore are not suitable gor UK supermarket trade.

I have seen stock bulls make as low as 60% of factory price. In theory hard selling seem easy to do but you need soft buyers and in general the lads around the ring tend not to be doing that. I agre that buyiong and selling days are the most important in the calender and too many farmers ignore there importance.

I suppose I can only speak for myself and my own experiences. It doesn't make sense to me either, but I am sure the lads buying my cattle are not loosing money. It's probably a combination of being beside a factory that are one of the lowest in the country to pay out and selling in one of the best marts in the midlands (IMO).

You talk of low prices paid for stock bulls. I seen a 800kg well fleshed BB stock bull make over E2000 last week, a 5year old LM dry cow 835kg make E1800 and heifers ~600kg make E1625. All sold through the ring. Can these prices be achieved in your factory? The heifers made the equivalent of 4.88c/kg dw by my reckoning if they killed out 55% dw. Perhaps my sums are off.

RE the QA, there must be factory agents that can get cattle in as QA if they are under the 30mths and coming off a QA farm?

• Advertisement

I suppose I can only speak for myself and my own experiences. It doesn't make sense to me either, but I am sure the lads buying my cattle are not loosing money. It's probably a combination of being beside a factory that are one of the lowest in the country to pay out and selling in one of the best marts in the midlands (IMO).

You talk of low prices paid for stock bulls. I seen a 800kg well fleshed BB stock bull make over E2000 last week, a 5year old LM dry cow 835kg make E1800 and heifers ~600kg make E1625. All sold through the ring. Can these prices be achieved in your factory? The heifers made the equivalent of 4.88c/kg dw by my reckoning if they killed out 55% dw. Perhaps my sums are off.

RE the QA, there must be factory agents that can get cattle in as QA if they are under the 30mths and coming off a QA farm?

My understanding after last years protests was that factories were not to differentiate between QA and non QA Base prices Base is base, and bonus are on top. Also-im not sure why someone has suggested here that QA is needed for UK swupermarkets-that's not true

My understanding after last years protests was that factories were not to differentiate between QA and non QA Base prices Base is base, and bonus are on top. Also-im not sure why someone has suggested here that QA is needed for UK swupermarkets-that's not true
    No they are still cutting around 20c a kg for non qa.
    I rang slaney didn't it.
    Another Offererd 4.06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I've said this before Muckit, I feel my mart has turned into a buyer's mart and if you try and play hard the auctioneer ain't helping. Your animals out of the ring and the bidding has started on the next one in about 2 seconds. Your lucky as it seems from your reports your mart is a seller's mart. I know a few of my heifers I sold recently went to local abattoirs. There's a cost to be covered between the mart and slaughter and I can't see the abattoir happily covering it.

Edit: saw your other post after posting and pretty much agrees with this. 'tis geography ted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Someyolk

Off topic I know but why sell heifers at such low weights this time of the year. Plenty of cheap weight to be gained from now till October/November.

Someyolk wrote: »
    Off topic I know but why sell heifers at such low weights this time of the year. Plenty of cheap weight to be gained from now till October/November.

Just an old neighbour looking for a few pound. He wouldn't be the most efficient.
    There 500-550 kg.
    he just says to me "shur them heifers are getting over fat" maybe he's right :)

Anyone sell store freisan bullocks on mart lately ?

• Advertisement

Anyone sell store freisan bullocks on mart lately ?

How many have you and what weight and quality

was going to pick out the best 5 about 300 kg at a guess, nice shape for freisans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

How many have you and what weight and quality

Don't give him a penny more than 510 puds!!!

was going to pick out the best 5 about 300 kg at a guess, nice shape for freisans.

1.8-2.2/kg. At present for light cattle I think the tend to be 2kg. I would prefer a heavier bullock at 1.8/kg or less

Don't give him a penny more than 510 puds!!!

I be hoping to pay less than that

• Advertisement

I be hoping to pay less than that

480 with bit of luck and you'll do fine.

Seen a pair of very middle
    Of road friesians feb 14 400kg bring 930. Fffing nuts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭davidk1394

What sorta money are butchers paying ? Have a nice AA heifers here

Willfarman wrote: »

Thats crazy. Sold two nice fleshy tall ones in mart last july, feb 13 calves 400kg for 550. Lads were saying I did well to get it. Now they were value when nobody wantes b&w's. Same thing will happen next yr when there is another glut of dairy calves coming again. The poor FR is the first animal to lose value.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Jaysus maybe I should sell some CHX now instead of November. Be around 400kg mark

AP2014 wrote: »
    Jaysus maybe I should sell some CHX now instead of November. Be around 400kg mark

November will be nuts entirely I think. No big demand until mid July for after grass would wait till then.

It would look like the job is going to hold for a while. 400kg good to middle of road continentals now avg 1100 give or take. But should be 480kg by nov maybe more.. Potentially worth 1300 give or take. I'd hold out ap your on a winner I think.

November will be nuts entirely I think. No big demand until mid July for after grass would wait till then.

Ya I have loads of grass, may get a bale or two of silage of a neighbour in November if it comes wet and try hold till mid November if they are still putting on weight. I struggled to bu them in the Spring and almost ended up with a load of aax. Sorry I didn't get a few more now, didn't want to get carried away and over pay.

It would look like the job is going to hold for a while. 400kg good to middle of road continentals now avg 1100 give or take. But should be 480kg by nov maybe more.. Potentially worth 1300 give or take. I'd hold out ap your on a winner I think.

I would expect a few of my nice chx and lmx to be around 550kg in November at least. Saying that I have a fair few average ones as well. Cost me €800 so would be delighted with anything over a €1100.

AP2014 wrote: »

You could be better off. But there probably won't be much buyers for silage either this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement