Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Muckit wrote: »
    You could be better off. But there probably won't be much buyers for silage either this year.

I have lads looking for 2nd cut off me, couple acres let up again. Might not be many buyers next winter. Hopefully I can buy a few bales back at cost price if I need them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Nettleman wrote: »
    that's exactly where my finished 2 year olds are going in next few weeks-factories from north are bidding hard ringside for finished cattle so going to give the agent the slip this time !!;)

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/beef-quotes-continue-to-move-upwards-184192/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Do ya reckon nothern factory agents will be bidding as hard in Oct/Nov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Do ya reckon nothern factory agents will be bidding as hard in Oct/Nov

Two things working together are driving this- currency and cattle shortage. you need both, and if one is completely unpredictable like currency, the whole thing becomes unpredictable, but, imo, this will feed higher stores and weanings prices soon in the BMW regions-Puds?
    Northern farmers can now buy a drop calf or weaning for less in ROI than to costs them to rear one + keep his cow.
    Buy a truck of calves, cull your cows and sit back for two years. even with a huge 2017 price fall, when you buy cheap in euro, you might still turn a pound (literally) !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Two things working together are driving this- currency and cattle shortage. you need both, and if one is completely unpredictable like currency, the whole thing becomes unpredictable, but, imo, this will feed higher stores and weanings prices soon in the BMW regions-Puds?
    Northern farmers can now buy a drop calf or weaning for less in ROI than to costs them to rear one + keep his cow.
    Buy a truck of calves, cull your cows and sit back for two years. even with a huge 2017 price fall, when you buy cheap in euro, you might still turn a pound (literally) !

Would not touch 2015 calves too dear and too many. These will be the lads that that will be crying in 20 months time when I go to buy them. Stores are nut at the moment those 400kg average Frx that Will say will struggle to leave a penny.

Left 6 off today that nice JEx you all saywin the early turn out killed 335kgs :o wish I could buy one like him every couple weeks. I had him for short of 14 months. Killed my over 36 month AA and HEx. Again disappointed with the AA averaged only 0.6kgs while I had them I reckon, however for the 27 months prior to that I reckon they only averaged 350grams a day. The two WH were only a little better about 690 grams/day. I squeezed away a rig as well. Not too bad a day at the office. A few more like that this year and I be ok.

However it will all depend on price of stores. I will be on the look out from now on.

Would not touch 2015 calves too dear and too many. These will be the lads that that will be crying in 20 months time when I go to buy them. Stores are nut at the moment those 400kg average Frx that Will say will struggle to leave a penny.

Left 6 off today that nice JEx you all saywin the early turn out killed 335kgs :o wish I could buy one like him every couple weeks. I had him for short of 14 months. Killed my over 36 month AA and HEx. Again disappointed with the AA averaged only 0.6kgs while I had them I reckon, however for the 27 months prior to that I reckon they only averaged 350grams a day. The two WH were only a little better about 690 grams/day. I squeezed away a rig as well. Not too bad a day at the office. A few more like that this year and I be ok.

However it will all depend on price of stores. I will be on the look out from now on.

The smarter I get at this farming lark the more I reckon fr and frx are the way to go. Buying them as yearlings around 350kg €550 in feb put them into a sheltered winterage and onto grass asap straw shed in nov until mid marchand fatten them the following end of july. Should kill out at worst 340kg @ €4 dw €1360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The smarter I get at this farming lark the more I reckon fr and frx are the way to go. Buying them as yearlings around 350kg €550 in feb put them into a sheltered winterage and onto grass asap straw shed in nov until mid marchand fatten them the following end of july. Should kill out at worst 340kg @ €4 dw €1360

It wouldn't have bought them this feb but yes it's a rock solid system. I don't let em back to grass the second year at all, it only takes another half or 3 quarters of tonne of meal to kill em at 27 mths and avg 320 kg. advantages are a lot better turnover of stock. Nutrient rich slurry and dung to return to the land. And you use a lot less silage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭minktrapper

What is the value of AA bull and heifer calves. 2 months old bucket fed.

Willfarman wrote: »
    It wouldn't have bought them this feb but yes it's a rock solid system. I don't let em back to grass the second year at all, it only takes another half or 3 quarters of tonne of meal to kill em at 27 mths and avg 320 kg. advantages are a lot better turnover of stock. Nutrient rich slurry and dung to return to the land. And you use a lot less silage.

Too dear this Feb lads looking for 650-700.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

I'd prefer to buy a 400kg continental heifer in Feb let her off to grass and kill following Jan. You should have 600 -700 gross profit and a lot quicker turnover

I tried that but the constant bulling, the in calf ones, and worse of all the ones that don't grow. I like continental bullocks the best but I never pass friesians at the right money. The ease of management is the number one advantage of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

I tried that but the constant bulling, the in calf ones, and worse of all the ones that don't grow. I like continental bullocks the best but I never pass friesians at the right money. The ease of management is the number one advantage of them.

Same here. Too many lads after the nice ones.

A big plain empty friesan with age . And let him go into weight and he will grade an o.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭Good loser

Hi Puds. Were the over 36 month the same base price as the under 30/36 month bullocks please?

Robson99 wrote: »
    I'd prefer to buy a 400kg continental heifer in Feb let her off to grass and kill following Jan. You should have 600 -700 gross profit and a lot quicker turnover

is that gross profit or gross margin. The real terminology is gross margin and net profit. Gross margin is the difference between buying and selling price, ideally selling and replacement price. Net margin is what is left after you allow for direct costs, grass, silage, ration, vet and medicine, mortality allowance, etc. Net profit is what you pay tax on;) that is up to you.

Not in a rush to turn over cattle as it is hard to make money on spring bought cattle. The other issue is capital tied up in the business. Most years 60 400kg heifers would force you to have 60-70K tied up in stock. 60 Fresians would have an average of 33-38K tied up in them most years this yera a bit different. generally I buy stores between Aug and Oct, last year I bought most in late october.

the cattle I sold today I bought last May/June I considered them value at the time. I saw no point in selling to replace with cattle that I might only break even with. I sold to turn over a few euro, If I could I have held for another month only one was a 4- rest were 3=/+. In a month they be 10-15kgs more flesh on each. Cattle really put on DW going from 3+ to 4-/= nearly ever gram they put on is flesh.

The JEx came in at 345 euro:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

Have 8 February 14 Angus bullocks av weight at home comes to 490 plus I've 6 fresian February 14 bullocks av weight 480 was thinking bringing to mart tomorrow I reared them from calves was never goin to winter them this year I've plenty of grass for now but these kinda cattle makin stupid money am I mad to b sellin now or wait till sept , I've a lot sheep so extra grass won't b wasted 😀

• Advertisement

Good loser wrote: »
    Hi Puds. Were the over 36 month the same base price as the under 30/36 month bullocks please?

I had agreed with agent that there would be no age deduction off the base however will wait until the cheque comes there is often a mistake. On average every second docket has to be corrected

Have 8 February 14 Angus bullocks av weight at home comes to 490 plus I've 6 fresian February 14 bullocks av weight 480 was thinking bringing to mart tomorrow I reared them from calves was never goin to winter them this year I've plenty of grass for now but these kinda cattle makin stupid money am I mad to b sellin now or wait till sept , I've a lot sheep so extra grass won't b wasted 😀

Good weights for age. yes you'll get a rob for em.

Let us know how it goes. We might all follow suit!

A few bucket feds mixed in with continentals are as good as a good cattle dog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

is that gross profit or gross margin. The real terminology is gross margin and net profit. Gross margin is the difference between buying and selling price, ideally selling and replacement price. Net margin is what is left after you allow for direct costs, grass, silage, ration, vet and medicine, mortality allowance, etc. Net profit is what you pay tax on;) that is up to you.

Not in a rush to turn over cattle as it is hard to make money on spring bought cattle. The other issue is capital tied up in the business. Most years 60 400kg heifers would force you to have 60-70K tied up in stock. 60 Fresians would have an average of 33-38K tied up in them most years this yera a bit different. generally I buy stores between Aug and Oct, last year I bought most in late october.

the cattle I sold today I bought last May/June I considered them value at the time. I saw no point in selling to replace with cattle that I might only break even with. I sold to turn over a few euro, If I could I have held for another month only one was a 4- rest were 3=/+. In a month they be 10-15kgs more flesh on each. Cattle really put on DW going from 3+ to 4-/= nearly ever gram they put on is flesh.

The JEx came in at 345 euro:)

Didn't realise there was such a big difference between gross profit and gross margin. Must have been missing that day.
    I'd agree re the capital, a lot less tied up. Everyone has there own system. Impossible to say which is the better one.
    Fatten both lowland and mountain lambs here over the winter. Lowland ones put on weight quicker, carry more weight and have faster turnaround. However less capital tied up with mountain ones. We always like to go 50 -50 with them. I suppose cattle should be the same

• Advertisement

Let us know how it goes. We might all follow suit!

8 Angus 493 kg s made €1090
    6 fresians 480 kg made €1040
    Thought I'd get a little more for Angus very happy how they weighed for Feb/March 14 stock

Thought I'd get a little more for Angus very happy how they weighed for Feb/March 14 stock

Do not usually buy AA but there were ok at that for the buyer. AA that have goo weight for age continue to thrive and put on weight fast. A finisher would have had different options finish off grass and meal in November (high AA bonus rate) at maybe 620 kgs LW ( about 315 DW) or house in late ovtober and finish out of the shed in January at 680 ish kgs LW ( 360ish kgsDW). They might even do better than that. My own inclination would be to finish off grass and meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

What sort of are dry cows going in factory. Have a few between 750-800kg but they don't have a great fat cover yet.

Wondering will I go soon or hold for another couple of months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Killed a LMX FR in Slaney yesterday 740kg live died 378.3 R-4- @ 3.90KG
    1459.99 on the cheque hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭newholland

Killed 2 on Monday one lim weighed 690 live killed out at 400 made around 1750
    One chx weighed 720 live made around 1800 happy with those 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

RobinBanks wrote: »
    What sort of are dry cows going in factory. Have a few between 750-800kg but they don't have a great fat cover yet.

If they were mine I think I'd be heading to the mart with them asap while prices are good. Mastitis is a big risk from now on with dry cows too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I had agreed with agent that there would be no age deduction off the base however will wait until the cheque comes there is often a mistake. On average every second docket has to be corrected

And every second mistake is in your favour no doubt (tongue fully in check) :rolleyes:

just do it wrote: »
    And every second mistake is in your favour no doubt (tongue fully in check) :rolleyes:

On the laws of averages taht is what you would expect but:rolleyes: it like bingo check your tickets folks

Savage weights for age. As you say the friesians brought great Monet. Thee aa a little short but you couldn't bring em home at it either. Is that kilkenny mart?

Savage weights for age. As you say the friesians brought great Monet. Thee aa a little short but you couldn't bring em home at it either. Is that kilkenny mart?

Yea kk mart bigger sale today than previous wks I reckon if Angus were a little leaner wud have been better sellers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ennis yesterday
    Charolais 740Kg - €1750, he had a bit of a belly
    Generally 650Kg continental types made around the €1500 mark

From talking to people they said prices were good all round.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Yea kk mart bigger sale today than previous wks I reckon if Angus were a little leaner wud have been better sellers

If they were flesh they be very easily finished this year you would also get a good killout. A leaner animal would be hanging around longer. With good grass and a little meal it would be possible to kill mid late november off grass. They leave a nice few euro in les than 150 says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Ennis yesterday
    Charolais 740Kg - €1750....

God Patsy you were a long way from home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Ennis yesterday

Was he near the 30 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Question for pudsey and co .i have 9 fr bullocks feb14 and one March 14 .average weight about 440 kg.on an outside block and gone into after grass this am.thriving very well..could keep them till mid to late August but got to go then to build up grass for weanlings for back end..no meal since early feb and on grass since early March .would it be worth my while to start giving these 2 kg rolled barley for next few weeks along with aftergrass or no meal??.or would u off load now..reckon they'd make 2 euro a kg in mart at moment but trade had no sign of weakening .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,937 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Was he near the 30 months?

Can't remember, it didn't seem to matter from what I saw. Finished cattle are scarce, I think.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

RobinBanks wrote: »

Mart is the only way in my opinion
    , seen cont. dry cows not finished but warm make a Rob in Kk yesterday, I usuallt kill all my cows but I've blooded all my cont. cows and they're going to the ring this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

Fr bull 1000 kg live 3 half years bsc 3 what's he worth
    Bb HF 450 kg
    2 fr HF twins 360 kg what would they make

Ennis yesterday
    Generally 650Kg continental types made around the €1500 mark

You wouldn't have got much more in the factory. Would have killed out at about 420kg belly or no belly.

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Question for pudsey and co .i have 9 fr bullocks feb14 and one March 14 .average weight about 440 kg.on an outside block and gone into after grass this am.thriving very well..could keep them till mid to late August but got to go then to build up grass for weanlings for back end..no meal since early feb and on grass since early March .would it be worth my while to start giving these 2 kg rolled barley for next few weeks along with aftergrass or no meal??.or would u off load now..reckon they'd make 2 euro a kg in mart at moment but trade had no sign of weakening .

Finished cattle are getting scarse it will depend on what way farmers react in August when the processors start trying to pull as a few fellas get worried about cattle going over 30 months. However if finishers hold tough prices wil hold/strenghten but history tells us lads panick. August could be tricky.By end og August they should be 30-35kgs heavier. On ten of them it is 700 if they hold at 2/kg
    milkprofit wrote: »
    Fr bull 1000 kg live 3 half years bsc 3 what's he worth
    Bb HF 450 kg
    2 fr HF twins 360 kg what would they make

If he has good flesh about 1500 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Finished cattle are getting scarse it will depend on what way farmers react in August when the processors start trying to pull as a few fellas get worried about cattle going over 30 months. However if finishers hold tough prices wil hold/strenghten but history tells us lads panick. August could be tricky.By end og August they should be 30-35kgs heavier. On ten of them it is 700 if they hold at 2/kg

So you'd hold them so??,worth putting 2 kg rolled barley into them??.theyll have nice aftergrass for guts of a month

So you'd hold them so??,worth putting 2 kg rolled barley into them??.theyll have nice aftergrass for guts of a month

If I was giving them anything it would be soya hulls or hulls and barley 50/50. The barley would go through them too fast, would it convert at 10/1???. at 20-22c/kg it would be costing 2-2.2 to put on an extra kg. I be inclined to let the pudseys of this word feed them ration next year at finishing stage. However some lads like to buy fleshy bullocks.

If I was giving them anything it would be soya hulls or hulls and barley 50/50. The barley would go through them too fast, would it convert at 10/1???. at 20-22c/kg it would be costing 2-2.2 to put on an extra kg. I be inclined to let the pudseys of this word feed them ration next year at finishing stage. However some lads like to buy fleshy bullocks.

Would ya also give them soya bean meal? Does grass not drop in protien and increase in sugar from now on. Soya meal, barley, and soya hulls mix with the grass. The soya meal for protien and hulls and barley for fiber to make the protien stick. They are still growing at that age would it not be more important to put more frame on them than flesh?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Would ya also give them soya bean meal? Does grass not drop in protien and increase in sugar from now on. Soya meal, barley, and soya hulls mix with the grass. The soya meal for protien and hulls and barley for fiber to make the protien stick. They are still growing at that age would it not be more important to put more frame on them than flesh?

I reckon soya is too expensive. If grass is managed right it should be around 20% CP.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

~
    I don't think you may much gain by feeding meal other than saving grass

As FP mentioned in a previous thread August can often be iffy selling , but no 2 years are the same & it could be flier this year.

either way with any good weight gain you won't lose out , prospects are looking good for cattle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

On good grass I'd be expecting a gain of 1kg/day for them friesians

Id hold them while there putting on cheap weight.

2kgs a day for a month is 60kg or around 12 euros.

So theyed only have to gain 6 kgs to break even at 2 euros per kg live.

The nearer to 500 kgs you can get them the more customers youll have.

No need for the soya they will be geting more than enough protien from grass.

If getting a mix made up id go 50 barley 25 maize and 25 hulls.

I never feed yearlings stores ration. Even if selling returns are marginal on Friesian's. If I had better quality cattle I feed a barley/hull mixture for 4-6 weeks pre sale.. It will sow down the gut and add flesh to cattle for the lads that like fleshy cattle. Cost would be 22c/kg. Adding soya beans meal will bring it to 26c/kg. Weanlings are different but stores are stores.

Ah there's more than one way to skin an armadillo. Barley soya hulls and maize meal are excellent value. 3 kg a day Only cost 25 euro a month which is only a wag of an ear in the mart.

Depends on your grass supply and qaulity really. If grass is v good leafy and plentiful there be no return but if tis shot out or scarce you'd get a good bang for your buck.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement