Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Willfarman wrote: »
    Ah there's more than one way to skin an armadillo. Barley soya hulls and maize meal are excellent value. 3 kg a day Only cost 25 euro a month which is only a wag of an ear in the mart.

Depends on your grass supply and qaulity really. If grass is v good leafy and plentiful there be no return but if tis shot out or scarce you'd get a good bang for your buck.

There's labour in feeding meal too. Maybe if it was bulls still at grass and weather a bit rough I'd feed meal to have them started on it before bringing them in to finish, but store cattle no.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

A double of bullocks going to the factory on monday. Getting €4.30/kg plus bonus. 4 animals are over 30 months but will be treated as under age. Free haulage too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

A double of bullocks going to the factory on monday. Getting €4.30/kg plus bonus. 4 animals are over 30 months but will be treated as under age. Free haulage too.

WHere you headed

WHere you headed

Mitchlestown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

They will be treated as underage are you getting the QA bonus on the of 12c/kg

They will be treated as underage are you getting the QA bonus on the of 12c/kg

Getting the QA bonus. In reality they are looking for numbers but the factoty don't want to say the Base price is €4.45 as when price drops it would be dropping from too much of a height.
    First time in a few years the agent landed out on the farm with the factory rep. Those fecker don't travel to west cork if they don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

Lads not used to looking at finished continentals, especially well muscled ones. 26 month old heifer is she fat enough or not? Personally I dont think so but any comments appreciated

Lads not used to looking at finished continentals, especially well muscled ones. 26 month old heifer is she fat enough or not? Personally I dont think so but any comments appreciated

She will carry more weight. Her dug will start to fill with fat like she is starting to spring. I say she is 3-/= at present. I not used to looking at Cont's either so i might br wrong.

Getting the QA bonus. In reality they are looking for numbers but the factoty don't want to say the Base price is €4.45 as when price drops it would be dropping from too much of a height.
    First time in a few years the agent landed out on the farm with the factory rep. Those fecker don't travel to west cork if they don't have to.

12c/head on the overage is equivlent to 1.5-2c/kg across a double of cattle. haulage is about 5c/kg off a base of 4.3 it brings you to 437/kg of a base still a flaking base. Will we get to 4.5/kg of a base

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Is there much €4.30 about ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

This should help ya

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Would on for another 3 weeks or 4. I'd be giving her some rolled barley to if possible to harden her up.

tatoo wrote: »
    Is there much €4.30 about ?

I expect there is. Local factory was looking for cattle Friday was paying 4.25 during the week. When selling during the week, one agent I contacted was supposed to come back on Tuesday but did not ring until Friday sounded hungry for cattle.

Thanks for the opinions lads, not in a rush anyway. Have plenty of time still and grass. Was going to go with some rolled barley and see how they do, be no harm anyway.

Thanks for the opinions lads, not in a rush anyway. Have plenty of time still and grass. Was going to go with some rolled barley and see how they do, be no harm anyway.

Rolled barley is value at present can be got in small bags at 220/ton it also very good quality.Lots of flour in any barley I have seen this year. 2-3 kgs/ day to her would really harden her up in 4-6 weeks.

As a matter of interest what the price of straight maize in bulk/bags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I expect there is. Local factory was looking for cattle Friday was paying 4.25 during the week. When selling during the week, one agent I contacted was supposed to come back on Tuesday but did not ring until Friday sounded hungry for cattle.
    OH got €4.25 plus QA and AA/HE bonus. Although I think there is a 5c difference between the AA and HE bonus.

Lovely heifer - BAx?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Someyolk

Base price wrote: »
    OH got €4.25 plus QA and AA/HE bonus. Although I think there is a 5c difference between the AA and HE bonus.

Do the AA and HE ever make the base price Base price? (Do they ever grade r)

Someyolk wrote: »
    Do the AA and HE ever make the base price Base price? (Do they ever grade r)
    No problem with them grading R, problem is with fat scores +/- and that is where you get hammered by the factories.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    Lovely heifer - BAx?

Down as lmx on the card, bought her as a weanling last year. Think her mother was a bax. Best looking heifer in the place.

Edit: weanling/yearling

I wouldn't be worried about a good heifer like that going over fat as much as those Herefords behind them. Always judge heifers fat score between front legs. Ignore tail head. If brisket is full move em on.

I wouldn't be worried about a good heifer like that going over fat as much as those Herefords behind them. Always judge heifers fat score between front legs. Ignore tail head. If brisket is full move em on.

Not worried about her going over fat, just dont want to let her go too early. The herefords look after themselves ;) usully get them into the 3+ 4- area and the odd 4= sometimes the odd one might look too fat but never went over the 4= I generally judge by the overall condition, tail head, back, ribs and the hind quarter, works for me anyway. Bullocks are easier to judge I think.

Not worried about her going over fat, just dont want to let her go too early. The herefords look after themselves ;) usully get them into the 3+ 4- area and the odd 4= sometimes the odd one might look too fat but never went over the 4= I generally judge by the overall condition, tail head, back, ribs and the hind quarter, works for me anyway. Bullocks are easier to judge I think.

FIL had a hex last yr 28 mts and 5- on grass alone. Got heavily punished by factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

I sent an Angusx cow to the factory a few years ago that graded a 5+ for fat, I didn't think it was possibe.
    On average would 3+/4- be the ideal fat score for killing cattle?

FIL had a hex last yr 28 mts and 5- on grass alone. Got heavily punished by factory.

Yea that is the problem with them, I havent had a 5 yet with heifers or bullocks, I try keep a close eye on them nearing the time, had one back in feb and she looked mud fat, her arse was sagging she was so fat, held on to her because I had a batch almost fit. Was really supprised when she graded 4-

I do try get the culls to 5 if I can, really adds weight to their small enough carcass and you dont get docked for fat cows either.

• Advertisement

Yea that is the problem with them, I havent had a 5 yet with heifers or bullocks, I try keep a close eye on them nearing the time, had one back in feb and she looked mud fat, her arse was sagging she was so fat, held on to her because I had a batch almost fit. Was really supprised when she graded 4-

I do try get the culls to 5 if I can, really adds weight to their small enough carcass and you dont get docked for fat cows either.

If factory's are short it amazing what way cattle grade.

If factory's are short it amazing what way cattle grade.

True. But I wasnt complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Sold a wh heifer in the mart. She was 660 kgs and made 1500. I was quoted €4.06 kg off the factory as she's non qa. And guess who bought her but a lad who buys for the same factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Sold a wh heifer in the mart. She was 660 kgs and made 1500. I was quoted €4.06 kg off the factory as she's non qa. And guess who bought her but a lad who buys for the same factory.
    Fancy a guess at her kill out %? 55.5% would give you a €1,500 factory cheque (before deductions of course)

No wh heifer would die 55 per cent. Take her at 53. Be same as 4.30 a kg.
    What's initials of the buyer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Got rid of a few finished bullocks there yesterday. 27-28 months old. Best killed out at 466kg for 4.37. Happy days.

Got rid of a few finished bullocks there yesterday. 27-28 months old. Best killed out at 466kg for 4.37. Happy days.

He made his 1kg a day for his life at 28mts assuming he killed out at 56%. What breed and what he cost ya? Now how much did the worst lad make ane what he cost ya? A gambler only ever tells ya bout the big winner!!

He made his 1kg a day for his life at 28mts assuming he killed out at 56%. What breed and what he cost ya? Now how much did the worst lad make ane what he cost ya? A gambler only ever tells ya bout the big winner!!

All my own. No nuts since first winter when they get 1kg a day. Nice low cost system, finished on grass only. Average for the 7 was around 1850

Black lad 70% limo R+4= 466kg
    Red lad Limo R+4= 441kgs

All my own. No nuts since first winter when they get 1kg a day. Nice low cost system, finished on grass only. Average for the 7 was around 1850

Red lad Limo R+4= 441kgs

There a theory that you should have poured nuts into them last winter and killed them out of the shed in at maybe 20-30 kgs lighter after a ton of nuts. Oops and at 20c/kg less

There a theory that you should have poured nuts into them last winter and killed them out of the shed in at maybe 20-30 kgs lighter after a ton of nuts. Oops and at 20c/kg less

Big win for count. When everyone else is running in the same direction turn the other way and walk

Big win for count. When everyone else is running in the same direction turn the other way and walk

And they catch up to you as you get to where you are going;)

Replacements have got dearer since the spring also and if he had killed out of shed and replaced at same time the replacements would be leaving him a good profit since. Swings and roundabouts

Red lad Limo R+4= 441kgs
    Robson99 wrote: »
    Replacements have got dearer since the spring also and if he had killed out of shed and replaced at same time the replacements would be leaving him a good profit since. Swings and roundabouts

I higlighted the important bit.

I higlighted the important bit.

Fair enough hadn't seen that bit in the post. It can be luck too. Cattle could be back 20 cent in the factory just as easy

Fair enough hadn't seen that bit in the post. It can be luck too. Cattle could be back 20 cent in the factory just as easy

It was never going to happen this year for the last 18 months lads cannot kill cattle fast enough. A lot of lads have got 30 months and QA in the brain. Any lad with cattle now should be trying to maximise weight gain before selling. Too many lads in the habbit of turning over cattle for smallish margins. Other issue is lads are afraid of not using there sheds. For last two years late April-early June was little better in price than March

• Advertisement

Swings and roundabouts

This is the truth about beef farming. Last year I was getting 3.50 a kilo. I'm not doing anything special, but try to keep the same system and make it as efficient as possible. I'll have the same type of cattle in two years and I'll be back to last year's price. Some lads are too quick to change system to follow the short term gain.

And he'd still have done well

Killing cattle younger allows a far better turnover of stock and a higher stocking rate. It's a margin per hectare you are supposed to look at not per head. Each to their own.

Killing cattle younger allows a far better turnover of stock and a higher stocking rate. It's a margin per hectare you are supposed to look at not per head. Each to their own.

Exactly

Any value in these lads? Bit hungry looking.

http://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/freisin-bullocks/9859882

They could do with a mineral dose......

They could do with a mineral dose......

They wouldn't have been priority stock I think. Only bit of value ive seen on DD in a long time. Some lads looking for that for 4mt old runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

4:32 base for bullocks today. Midlands. Sending in a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mossiemag

Rolled barley is value at present can be got in small bags at 220/ton it also very good quality.Lots of flour in any barley I have seen this year. 2-3 kgs/ day to her would really harden her up in 4-6 weeks.

As a matter of interest what the price of straight maize in bulk/bags

Just wondering lads, I will be finishing a few aa heifers for the butcher toward the end of the year. Would rolled barley be good for them or should i go for a finishing beef mix?

• Advertisement

mossiemag wrote: »
    Just wondering lads, I will be finishing a few aa heifers for the butcher toward the end of the year. Would rolled barley be good for them or should i go for a finishing beef mix?

Yes barley will be good enough. Late in the year if grass is very wet a bit of soya hulls through it will slow the rumen. However you may not be able to access them . However a bit of hay or straw ideally will slow the rumen as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement