Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Palatability may be an issue. You may need to mix a small bit of beef nut through it untill they get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I sent a cow to factory this week. She graded U- 4=

Can someone help explain this grid system to me because it makes no sense to me. Judging by the condition of the cow I sent she looked reasonable but have carried more weight but I had to get rid of her for other reasons. The base price I received was 4€ / kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I sent a cow to factory this week. She graded U- 4=

Can someone help explain this grid system to me because it makes no sense to me. Judging by the condition of the cow I sent she looked reasonable but have carried more weight but I had to get rid of her for other reasons. The base price I received was 4€ / kg

Sounds like a super cow to me, what Carcase weight was she?
    Confirmation is graded E U R O or P. E would be something like a well muscled extreme shaped Belgian Blue cross. P grades would generally be dairy animals like Holsteins. Most animals grade R.
    Each grade is then divided in three ie R-, R= and R+
    Fat scores are graded 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. Fat score 1 is an animal with very little flesh on it whereas fat score 5 is a very fat animal with lots of flesh on it. Each grade is divided in three also ie 3-, 3= and 3+.
    If you look at the back of the journal it shows how animals can get a bonus along with the base price. This only applies to bullocks, heifers and young bulls.
    Cows don't get paid on the grid.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

tanko wrote: »
    Sounds like a super cow to me, what Carcase weight was she?
    Confirmation is graded E U R O or P. E would be something like a well muscled extreme shaped Belgian Blue cross. P grades would generally be dairy animals like Holsteins. Most animals grade R.
    Each grade is then divided in three ie R-, R= and R+
    Fat scores are graded 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. Fat score 1 is an animal with very little flesh on it whereas fat score 5 is a very fat animal with lots of flesh on it. Each grade is divided in three also ie 3-, 3= and 3+.
    If you look at the back of the journal it shows how animals can get a bonus along with the base price. This only applies to bullocks, heifers and young bulls.
    Cows don't get paid on the grid.

Cheer Tanko that helps a bit alright! still there is allot of variables in the whole lot but for keen stock men unlike me it probably makes perfect since.

This cow was 483kg carcass weight. I assume this is the weight after the waste is removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Cheer Tanko that helps a bit alright! still there is allot of variables in the whole lot but for keen stock men unlike me it probably makes perfect since.

This cow was 483kg carcass weight. I assume this is the weight after the waste is removed.
    Basically the better shape the animal is and heavier it is the more you get paid.
    Yeah the carcase weight is the weight after the guts, skin, head and lower legs are removed. That cow weighed nearly a tonne when she was alive, don't suppose you have a pic of her? What breed was she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭jd06

jd06 wrote: »
    3 heifers heading off this evening

The first made1643 u=3=
    Second made 1636 r+4-
    Third made 1557 o+4- not too happy with her 4.30 ko 362.
    Missed out on qa on her too.

The u grade got 4.60
    The r grade got 4.48

Big animals thought they would do better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

jd06 wrote: »
    The first made1643 u=3=
    Second made 1636 r+4-
    Third made 1557 o+4- not too happy with her 4.30 ko 362.
    Missed out on qa on her too.

The u grade got 4.60
    The r grade got 4.48

Big animals thought they would do better

She got the QA her base was 4.3/KG -12c/kg as she was only O+ however QA 12c brought you back up to 4.3/kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Sent 30 bullocks away on Monday. 13 exceeded €1800. 7 graded "U". 18 graded "R", and the 5 AA graded O but got the 20 cent bonus. Base price of 4.30. "O" graded cattle we're gaurentee not to be cut - agreed before they were sent.
    20 to 25 to send in the next 3 weeks if that price continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Sent 30 bullocks away on Monday. 13 exceeded €1800. 7 graded "U". 18 graded "R", and the 5 AA graded O but got the 20 cent bonus. Base price of 4.30. "O" graded cattle we're gaurentee not to be cut - agreed before they were sent.
    20 to 25 to send in the next 3 weeks if that price continues.

Ching Ching!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Ching Ching!!

Yeah. Of to buy those great calves ye dairy lads produce now......... ha ha. It's great to be drunk this early in the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Yeah. Of to buy those great calves ye dairy lads produce now......... ha ha. It's great to be drunk this early in the day
    Good solid reinvestment plan makes for sound farming!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Got 4.10 for o grade Bulls a few weeks ago. Have another load to go, has there been any improvement since? Also any quotes for o grade cows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Got 4.10 for o grade Bulls a few weeks ago. Have another load to go, has there been any improvement since? Also any quotes for o grade cows?

will know cow prices tomorrow am, 3.80 feely for o&ps anyway, hoping for a little more but will sell if needs be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Were they under 16mts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Lads is Hay as good as straw as a source of fibre when feeding cattle high levels / ad lib meal ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Robson99 wrote: »
    Lads is Hay as good as straw as a source of fibre when feeding cattle high levels / ad lib meal ???

I get on ok with it anyway.

Robson99 wrote: »

Not quiet as good. Mix it 50/50.

Were they under 16mts?

No round 20 months. They averaged 350kg.

What weight were they live. Assuming 700kg at 50% killout. Did ya push them with feeding?

What weight were they live. Assuming 700kg at 50% killout. Did ya push them with feeding?

Yeah reckon they averaged round 700kg live. Yeah they were pushed for the last 100 days. They were given as much meal as they could eat for the last 100 days or so. It was our first time doing frs as Bulls. They were autumn born and bought as calves. Didn't do the figures yet as waiting for the last load to go but I'd say any money made was made when they were grazing last year(cheaper weight gain).
    Don't think I'd chance buying any this autumn for killing in 2017.

• Advertisement

Yeah reckon they averaged round 700kg live. Yeah they were pushed for the last 100 days. They were given as much meal as they could eat for the last 100 days or so. It was our first time doing frs as Bulls. They were autumn born and bought as calves. Didn't do the figures yet as waiting for the last load to go but I'd say any money made was made when they were grazing last year(cheaper weight gain).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Jack dids you leave them out for a few weeks during the spring or have they been inside since last autumn. What FS were they at slaughter and did they all grade O+/=. Hard to see value out there at present in calves. Fellas are looking for 350+ for average FR calves.

Was looking at FR bullocks and 2/kg is what fellas are looking for out of the field.However it is early in the year and store cattle will not be coming on stream for another 6 weeks.

Jack dids you leave them out for a few weeks during the spring or have they been inside since last autumn. What FS were they at slaughter and did they all grade O+/=. Hard to see value out there at present in calves. Fellas are looking for 350+ for average FR calves.

Was looking at FR bullocks and 2/kg is what fellas are looking for out of the field.However it is early in the year and store cattle will not be coming on stream for another 6 weeks.
    They were inside since last autumn. In hindsight they could have went out for
    a month in the spring (the poorer quality ones anyway). There were a few 3's but mostly 2's and all o+ or =. Expect the next load to have a few p's (should have squeezed them).
    Fr Stores might be cheaper later on or next spring. Crazy money for calves this year. Might be safe enough buying anything to be killed next year but not for the year after.

Not bad. What breed? I'd assume they were about 700LW. Did ya give them ad lib for long?

Not bad. What breed? I'd assume they were about 700LW. Did ya give them ad lib for long?

Fresians. Yeah weighed them a week before slaughter and they were averaging close to 700kg. Ad lib for round 100 days but getting plenty of meal since January.
    Out of the batch that's left there are 3 22month old real Holstein type Bulls heading for 800kg. Amazing the thrive they are doing this last month. Eating 13kg of meal a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Fresians. Yeah weighed them a week before slaughter and they were averaging close to 700kg. Ad lib for round 100 days but getting plenty of meal since January.
    Out of the batch that's left there are 3 22month old real Holstein type Bulls heading for 800kg. Amazing the thrive they are doing this last month. Eating 13kg of meal a day.

would that be about €350 each for nuts? eek.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

500kg aax heifer 1080 in mart

would that be about €350 each for nuts? eek.png
    Prob would not including what they ate as calves. The mills need to make money too you know!!!

Prob would not including what they ate as calves. The mills need to make money too you know!!!

You did ok out of it. 90 euro to buy and prob reared and fed for 720 including the 90.

• Advertisement

You did ok out of it. 90 euro to buy and prob reared and fed for 720 including the 90.

Yeah was hoping to have them reared and fed for 800.

Yeah was hoping to have them reared and fed for 800.

Have a look at the dairy calf to beef piece in the indo from today. You are on the same weight gain as what their trials showing.

Have a look at the dairy calf to beef piece in the indo from today. You are on the same weight gain as what their trials showing.
    Missed the indo on Tuesday. It'll probably be on the journal today. I'm doing ok so considering their trials are probably in Meath or Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Missed the indo on Tuesday. It'll probably be on the journal today. I'm doing ok so considering their trials are probably in Meath or Wexford.

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/dairy-calf-to-beef-systems-prove-their-profit-value-31373428.html

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Any quotes on cattle prices for the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Duke92 wrote: »
    Any quotes on cattle prices for the week

4.25 base for underage Steers.

• Advertisement

Anyone ever finish steers between 21 and 24 mts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

4.30 in kepak for Steers.
    4.40 for heifers.

Whiteheads yes

simx wrote: »
    Whiteheads yes

How does it work out, killout wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

I used to finish charolais cross simmenthals at under two years from my suckler herd

• Advertisement

rangler1 wrote: »
    I used to finish charolais cross simmenthals at under two years from my suckler herd

How did it work out lw and dw and fat score?

Trade at one mart yesterday was unbelievable....overage and non-QA, doesn't matter.
    Good cattle are very scarce and plenty of men looking for them.

rangler1 wrote: »

He now finishes charolais sheep.., and is a millionaire:D:D

locha wrote: »
    4.25 base for underage Steers.

Any man who sell cattle at 425 is running a charity not a business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Just at mart in nenagh ,beef men are loosing the fookin plot as regards what there paying out for cattle .

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Just at mart in nenagh ,beef men are loosing the fookin plot as regards what there paying out for cattle .

Hope they're still at it at end of year, have a shot of weanlings to go and dairy cows to buy instead ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

mahoney_j wrote: »

Did you off load any culls mj or how was trade for dairy culls?

Milked out wrote: »
    Did you off load any culls mj or how was trade for dairy culls?

Trade for culls atm is crazy and will get slightly crazier I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

simx wrote: »
    Trade for culls atm is crazy and will get slightly crazier I reckon

I think culls could come under real pressure from October on due to a mass clear out on dairy farms as a result of dairy markets crashing .there a great trade at moment .cows that require a good bit of feeding making 1.40 kg plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

September born calves yes. More by accident than design. Just really thrived on good grass and were fit to go

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement