Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Saw good quality heavy continental cows over 700kgs making €2.20 up to €2.30/kg in Ballyjamesduff today. Have never seen so many lads trying to buy cows in the place.
    Quality heavy continental bullocks over 700 kgs making up to €2.62/kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Yee reckon the trade for well fleshed cattle will stay mad throughout the rest of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

Nettleman wrote: »
    Any man who sell cattle at 425 is running a charity not a business

Feel free to enlighten us there Nettles! What do you sell at or are you running a charity like the rest of us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Any prices for P grade cows - Friesian/Jersey crosses. Have a neighbour with 5 culls. He does not have transport and I bring them to the factory for him but I also have to do the pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    Any prices for P grade cows - Friesian/Jersey crosses. Have a neighbour with 5 culls. He does not have transport and I bring them to the factory for him but I also have to do the pricing.
    are they dry or straight from parlour?

whelan2 wrote: »
    are they dry or straight from parlour?
    Straight from the parlour although 1 is dry for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Straight from the parlour although 1 is dry for a few weeks.
    i sent 2 to duleek this morning, will let you know what i get, both straight from parlour, not suitable for mart. Last week in ardee i saw a cow make 150 euro, imo it was to the knackery she should have been going

i sent 2 to duleek this morning, will let you know what i get, both straight from parlour, not suitable for mart. Last week in ardee i saw a cow make 150 euro, imo it was to the knackery she should have been going
    Thanks.
    I have not stood in a mart in the last 14 months but I hear that prices are crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

She must of been a walking carcass was she?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Got 3.80 last week for mix of o&p cows, all ps Id say 3.60/3.65 maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Just at mart in nenagh ,beef men are loosing the fookin plot as regards what there paying out for cattle .

I presume that was the heifer ring ?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

440 got for qa steers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

orm0nd wrote: »
    I presume that was the heifer ring ?

Didn't venture in to thatching just ,bull/bullock ring .highlight was a group of February 15 born undernourished fr bull calves came in weighing 118 kg made 390 .fr bullocks easily making 2 euro plus a kg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Didn't venture in to thatching just ,bull/bullock ring .highlight was a group of February 15 born undernourished fr bull calves came in weighing 118 kg made 390 .fr bullocks easily making 2 euro plus a kg

that was lively,
    I was there last week & nice enough Jan 15 fr bulls about 200 kgs were struggling to €400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

440 got for qa steers

Is that 440 onto grid plus qa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

I have bullocks and couple of heifers for sale about 1 and half years old. They were Tb tested last November. am I ok to sell in the mart this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Feckthis wrote: »
    I have bullocks and couple of heifers for sale about 1 and half years old. They were Tb tested last November. am I ok to sell in the mart this week?

The bullocks are definitely ok. I'm pretty sure the heifers can be sold without a blood test as long as they're under 24 months.

epfff wrote: »
    Is that 440 onto grid plus qa

Yes average price 4.58 for load

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Where was that

Duke92 wrote: »
    Where was that

They are stuck badly when they are ringing farmer. Still freely available

• Advertisement

Sounds like horses**t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Would not be surprised if they try to pull prices over next 2-3 weeks with Bank Holiday and February 2013 born cattle going overage. History says they will try it anyway. However All cattle are scarse. They will be testing the water at present with finishers for prices for finishing for Christmas and January. You would want a base in excess of 4.5/kg to finish cattle this winter at present prices and if prices go higher you would want more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Would not be surprised if they try to pull prices over next 2-3 weeks with Bank Holiday and February 2013 born cattle going overage. History says they will try it anyway. However All cattle are scarse. They will be testing the water at present with finishers for prices for finishing for Christmas and January. You would want a base in excess of 4.5/kg to finish cattle this winter at present prices and if prices go higher you would want more.

FIL has 10 going Fri. 5hex 1frx 1ch 2bbx and 1six. Ch is 33mts all rest feb/mar 13 what sort of base should he get?

Duke92 wrote: »
    Sounds like horses**t

Good man yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Forward stores prices would indicate that there won't be much of a pull. On tue 620 kg black lims nice cattle but only R's March 13. € 1600. Need about 2 months.

FIL has 10 going Fri. 5hex 1frx 1ch 2bbx and 1six. Ch is 33mts all rest feb/mar 13 what sort of base should he get?

4.30/4.35. It will be hard to get much higher as they are reluctant with HE to really push the boat out as you get the HE bonus that brings up the price. He should make sure he will not get an age variation deduction on the CHX that is over 30 months. Local factory will hit you with a 20c/kg hit on such cattle unless you make sure it dose not apply. A 20c/kg hit on him would be equivlent 5c/kg on the HE combined and the FR as well and maybe more.

No point in getting a fancy base if you allow them to hit waht is likely the heavyist bullock there.

4.30/4.35. It will be hard to get much higher as they are reluctant with HE to really push the boat out as you get the HE bonus that brings up the price. He should make sure he will not get an age variation deduction on the CHX that is over 30 months. Local factory will hit you with a 20c/kg hit on such cattle unless you make sure it dose not apply. A 20c/kg hit on him would be equivlent 5c/kg on the HE combined and the FR as well and maybe more.

No point in getting a fancy base if you allow them to hit waht is likely the heavyist bullock there.

Thanks FP I'll ask the agent to make sure chx makes same base as the underage ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Just sent away a double this evening, half heifers and half bullocks. All under age bar 1. Agreed €4.45 for heifers and €4.35 for bullocks. No cut for the over age bullocks either. Price plus or minus grade/grid, plus QA, plus He or AA bonus
    Agent/haulier told us that the factory rang him 2 hours before he callex put to us this evening to know had he agreed a deal with us. He said he had. Factory told him they are going to be flooded with cattle and would be offering 10 cent less if the deal hadn't been agreed.

Price cut of 10 to 15 cent from tomorrow for all cattle. Feb 2013 born cattle are hitting the factory now

30 steers under 30mnths killed 450kg dead 440 base today (460 incl bonuses)

Midlands

Just sent away a double this evening, half heifers and half bullocks. All under age bar 1. Agreed €4.45 for heifers and €4.35 for bullocks. No cut for the over age bullocks either. Price plus or minus grade/grid, plus QA, plus He or AA bonus
    Agent/haulier told us that the factory rang him 2 hours before he callex put to us this evening to know had he agreed a deal with us. He said he had. Factory told him they are going to be flooded with cattle and would be offering 10 cent less if the deal hadn't been agreed.

Price cut of 10 to 15 cent from tomorrow for all cattle. Feb 2013 born cattle are hitting the factory now

Not sure if it will work for factory's numbers are tight lads that go chasing the 12c/kg QA are nuts. Plenty of grass and cheap fodder WTF would you accept a price cut with price of replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Lads. Quit the negative talk please. Numbers are tight. Pure factory talk. Just because Feb 13 cattle are approaching 30 months doesn't mean the place is going to be flooded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Lads. Quit the negative talk please. Numbers are tight. Pure factory talk. Just because Feb 13 cattle are approaching 30 months doesn't mean the place is going to be flooded

Been with this agent 2 years. He's never put us wrong. We have more cattle to go in 3 to 4 weeks, so I hope price stays up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I said it here a month ago that an agent told me to get rid of anything I had coming near fit as the price was dropping in a week or two. They have strengthened since. Prices will drop when numbers increase. No sign of that yet. I hope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

A lot of feb 13 cattle are already gone.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

blue5000 wrote: »
    A lot of feb 13 cattle are already gone.

That was the time there all the extra calves died. I wouldnt belive the radio in a factory agents house.

I think they will test the water to see if they can get away with it. Last year lads panicked and flooded them with cattle. There fear is that expensive stores will discourage the smaller finisher and that the large contracted finishers will want a very strong base price before they fill sheds this year.

Cows are scarce as well. However they will try to drop or stop price rises. However it is worth remembering that there is 60K+ less cattle to kill compared to this time last year between and and late autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Beef will be back Monday due to French problems

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    Beef will be back Monday due to French problems

Hopefully that the only problem
    I say it's back to see how farmers react
    Race week as we call it here is always funny

Got 4.30 base minus penaltys plus qa and he bonus.

Was surprised at the blues. 27mts over 1750 each. Bought as calves apr13 for 330.

• Advertisement

Got 4.30 base minus penaltys plus qa and he bonus.

Was surprised at the blues. 27mts over 1750 each. Bought as calves apr13 for 330.

Good return
    Were they all ran together
    If so How did rest compare

430 I got Fri too

epfff wrote: »
    Good return
    Were they all ran together
    If so How did rest compare

430 I got Fri too

Chx 1950 frx 1350 one hex 1380 rest incl six between 1500 and 1680. He was happy out.

The weather is another problem plus they want to cool the store trade

The weather is another problem plus they want to cool the store trade

Ya grass is getting tight in a lot of places.

I heard 10 p drop anyone hear anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Good man Larry. Welcome to boards😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Three posts all talking down the price.

What factory you buying for??

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Good man Larry. Welcome to boards😀

He's fairly pushing it alright

None it's what I heard hopefully I am wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

None it's what I heard hopefully I am wrong

Did you question the basis of this remark ?

14 cattle going Wednesday was offered 425 but wouldn't take it got a call a few minutes ago and got the 4:30 base

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement