Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Duke92 wrote: »
    14 cattle going Wednesday was offered 425 but wouldn't take it got a call a few minutes ago and got the 4:30 base

Good stuff. Keep pressure on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

mf240 wrote: »
    Three posts all talking down the price.

What factory you buying for??

Optimistic chap he is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Duke92 wrote: »
    14 cattle going Wednesday was offered 425 but wouldn't take it got a call a few minutes ago and got the 4:30 base

That the stuff for them. Cattle numbers are tight we have control. There is no point in giving it away. Look at the excuses they are spinning.

February cattle hitting 30 months who cares about 30 months this year if you lose the 12c/kg QA you get 6c/kg back on them going up a step on the grid. 1c/kg on the 3/head QA on over 30 months. The other 5c you will make up easily in weight. it is equivalent to about 5kgs on 350kg animal. That is if you do not make it up on the price anyway.

The French strikes have being going on now for 6 weeks+ so it is immaterial. There is no mention that the UK price is equivalent to over 5.3/kg for R grade cattle. Remember last year lads threw cattle at them during August/Sept on the presumption that there would be cheap store on Oct/Nov. Stores were not as cheap as lads taught.

Yes the factory's have our best interests at heart they are intent on cooling the store price. Is that so they can fill there feedlots with these stores so that they can control the price for Christmas and January. They are trying it on because they will only be killing 4 days the week after next, a few are not killing Monday this week and are full for Tuesday.

It is all spin, spin, spin we are idiots if we fall for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

That the stuff for them. Cattle numbers are tight we have control. There is no point in giving it away. Look at the excuses they are spinning.

February cattle hitting 30 months who cares about 30 months this year if you lose the 12c/kg QA you get 6c/kg back on them going up a step on the grid. 1c/kg on the 3/head QA on over 30 months. The other 5c you will make up easily in weight. it is equivalent to about 5kgs on 350kg animal. That is if you do not make it up on the price anyway.

The French strikes have being going on now for 6 weeks+ so it is immaterial. There is no mention that the UK price is equivalent to over 5.3/kg for R grade cattle. Remember last year lads threw cattle at them during August/Sept on the presumption that there would be cheap store on Oct/Nov. Stores were not as cheap as lads taught.

Yes the factory's have our best interests at heart they are intent on cooling the store price. Is that so they can fill there feedlots with these stores so that they can control the price for Christmas and January. They are trying it on because they will only be killing 4 days the week after next, a few are not killing Monday this week and are full for Tuesday.

if I could thank 100 times Pudsey !
    Any chance we could get that post read out over loud speaker in every town/village/mart/radio tomorrow !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Was still offered 4.45 for heifers until Friday. Bullocks back 5 cent to 4.30 in both factories we send to.

Edit: and age isn't a problem, no cut for over age. Keep the factories looking for cattle and they don't give a sh1t about age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

"Farmer wrote:

This I agree with

As I said in previous post it holidays here and UK it suits factory to test the water these 2 weeks

No real big demand until schools settle back in
    Clean their own feedlots (near empty anyway)
    Cool stores to refill same feedlots
    And control to Xmas again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

epfff wrote: »
    This I agree with

As I said in previous post it holidays here and UK it suits factory to test the water these 2 weeks

No real big demand until schools settle back in
    Clean their own feedlots (near empty anyway)
    Cool stores to refill same feedlots
    And control to Xmas again

This is It in a nutshell. Happened last year. It can't be let happen again. Control is with the farmer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

sending stock bull to the factory as he's being bold, what price are they at the minute?

whelan2 wrote: »
    sending stock bull to the factory as he's being bold, what price are they at the minute?

U's. €3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Ashbourne Meats Roscrea. Sent an overage there a few months ago but it had got meal and was 2=. Got 4 plus a few cents, possibly 4.20 but I'd have to check. Was quoted 3 elsewhere at the time

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    Ashbourne Meats Roscrea. Sent an overage there a few months ago but it had got meal and was 2=. Got 4 plus a few cents, possibly 4.20 but I'd have to check. Was quoted 3 elsewhere at the time
    this guy is just under 30 months , would that make any difference, br/fr

this guy is just under 30 months , would that make any difference, br/fr

Yep under 30 crucial
    O grade 4.10if a little flesh in roscra possible others will take
    Liffy worth call
    Over 30 you are into different scene

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭westlander

Just pop in from time to time to read this thread but thinking of selling a few bullocks and a heifer (eldest one will be 30 months at the end of August).

If going to factory I will get penalised if cattle are over 30 months?

westlander wrote: »
    Just pop in from time to time to read this thread but thinking of selling a few bullocks and a heifer (eldest one will be 30 months at the end of August).

If going to factory I will get penalised if cattle are over 30 months?

At the moment you only lose qa bonus of 12c if over 30
    If beef plentiful they may give you age deduction as well
    If they see you the seller as soft they may also implement some sort of green horn tax on you as well

Cowboys ted I tell you ted all them factory men are cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭westlander

At the moment you only lose qa bonus of 12c if over 30
    If beef plentiful they may give you age deduction as well
    If they see you the seller as soft they may also implement some sort of green horn tax on you as well

Cowboys ted I tell you ted all them factory men are cowboys

Damned if you do and damned if you dont :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Heard a good one today a factory was by his boss to take in more cattle today than they could kill today
    So there'd be cattle left and put the word out that farmers were throwing cattle at them today to bring the price down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

OH was talking to a factory man this afternoon and he was bemoaning about the French farmers protesting and how it will affect current beef prices in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

anyone get quotes for stock. got 4.35 for heifers

Very disappointed. 365kg graded as O1. €2.40/kg rang factory agent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

€876 in your back pocket is still better than having a wicked bull.

Disappointing but look at the most important part of the situation

€876 in your back pocket is still better than having a wicked bull.

Disappointing but look at the most important part of the situation

Ah I know. Thought he would clear a thousand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Jaysus they done ya there.

O1 meat probably gone black already so of no value to processer either.

Why not sell to feeder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

No offence whelan but he wasnt fit to kill.

He would of fed into an r3 and over 400kgs .

Why not sell to feeder?

He was dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Why not sell to feeder?

What does gone black mean epff?

Bullocks wrote: »
    What does gone black mean epff?

If their is not adequate fat score/cover on flesh the meat goes a blue/black and does not set properly so no consumer wants it and has to be used 100% for processing

He was dangerous

All bulls are dangerous
    You only gambling if you treat any of them another way
    I feed stock bulls all the time but am set up that I don't go near them when feeding and more importantly when loading for final destination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

No offence whelan but he wasnt fit to kill.

He would of fed into an r3 and over 400kgs .

with bill for meal & maybe some one hurt or even worse

@whelan you made the right decision , nothing to gained by keeping these useless your're set up for them

He was dangerous

He's in the best spot now so.

• Advertisement

All bulls are dangerous
    I feed stock bulls all the time but am set up that I don't go near them when feeding and more importantly when loading for final destination

Difference between dangerous and wicked. Any bullock, heifer, cow can be wicked. If wicked has to go.

All bulls are dangerous

I'd be interested to see your handling facilities. Sent away an aggressive lad earlier this year. I hadn't been in the same space as him for ~8/10 weeks. We loaded him with patience and a tractor

just do it wrote: »
    I'd be interested to see your handling facilities. Sent away an aggressive lad earlier this year. I hadn't been in the same space as him for ~8/10 weeks. We loaded him with patience and a tractor

Nothing fancy just a shed that can be backed into and a gate that follows in direction of exit
    After that just patience inching forward

Have yet to see I that won't follow group if not overloading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

orm0nd wrote: »
    with bill for meal & maybe some one hurt or even worse

@whelan you made the right decision , nothing to gained by keeping these useless your're set up for them

Didnt know anything about him being dangerous when i posted.

Was just saying he was short flesh . But ya probably not worth the hassle of trying to finish him.

It's one thing I'm glad to see in TAMS2 is grant aid for bull pens and handling facilities. I wonder how many will take advantage of the grant?

Didnt know anything about him being dangerous when i posted.

Was just saying he was short flesh . But ya probably not worth the hassle of trying to finish him.

Not sure about that he killed 365@2.4/kg. If you fed him for 80 days and got him to 2=/+ and got 3/kg. He would gain over 1kg/day on good silage and 8kgs of barley (or 12kgs barley and straw/hay).

Option 1 2.3/day costing 185 over 80 days
    Option2 2.8/day costing 225 over 80 days.

at FS1 at 365 he was about 800kgs LW if he got to 900kgs K/O at 48% he kill 430kgs at 3.1/kg he would make 1340 euro. big difference from 860 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Yes indeedy the probability of a theoretical 300 squid profit would be worth risking life and limb keeping a crackpot nutter of a bull in the place?? I would have no regrets in the ops in shoes anyway.

There is a concerted pull in operation for Tuesday next. 4.20 bullocks 4.30 heifers. Will be back to 4.15 and 4.25 there on say they.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mossiemag

Lads

Have a few AAX heifers, was thinking of selling in mart. Getting short on grass. Nice shape 400kgs approx, Any idea what they would make in mart?
    Or i was thinking of feeding on until 430kgs approx and letting go to a butcher?
    any thoughts?

mossiemag wrote: »
    Lads

Have a few AAX heifers, was thinking of selling in mart. Getting short on grass. Nice shape 400kgs approx, Any idea what they would make in mart?
    Or i was thinking of feeding on until 430kgs approx and letting go to a butcher?
    any thoughts?
    brought a 500kg aax heifer a few weeks ago and i got 1080 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mossiemag wrote: »
    Lads

any thoughts?

saw hex 385 making 935 ( 1 bidder got a twitching in his eye & the other a shake in his arm :D )

depending on mart & demand ,, aa are not as sought after as hex here locally reckon 860 to 900

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Lmx bullock 520kgs €1400 in ballymahon yesterday I'd say the buyer wouldn't want to hear of a pull in prices although the seller would be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mossiemag

Thanks lads

I never sold to a butcher before, but at 430kgs LW, I'm guessing she would kill out at 52% leaving 223kgs DW.
    Anyone know what a butcher pays? I'm guessing 4.2 euro/kg at the moment. Then that would give a return of 937 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

killed fr stock bull last week O grade 2.80/kg. was over thirty months

visatorro wrote: »
    where did you go with him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

eurofarm

Willfarman wrote: »
    Yes indeedy the probability of a theoretical 300 squid profit would be worth risking life and limb keeping a crackpot nutter of a bull in the place?? I would have no regrets in the ops in shoes anyway.

There is a concerted pull in operation for Tuesday next. 4.20 bullocks 4.30 heifers. Will be back to 4.15 and 4.25 there on say they.

All bulls are dangerous. However a bull inside in a pen is relatively safe. As long as you are aware that he is a bull and he is dangerous. I have finished bulls and have finished them both outside on grass and inside in the shed. You have to be aware all the time that all bulls are dangerous. most lads that get killed by bulls are killed by the so called quite bull that turns. Taht bull inside in a pen that he could not get out of would be easy and safe to manage.

Had rig earlier this year that I could not let back to grass. Looked like a bullock. Fed him inside on barley into a 2= and got 3.9/kg for him. If I had sold him at fatscore 1 I have only got 3/kg.
    visatorro wrote: »

Admittly Whealan price was a little on the low side however her bull was only FS1 what FS was your's. With bulls and cows FS is nearly more important than grade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

All bulls are dangerous. However a bull inside in a pen is relatively safe. As long as you are aware that he is a bull and he is dangerous. I have finished bulls and have finished them both outside on grass and inside in the shed. You have to be aware all the time that all bulls are dangerous. most lads that get killed by bulls are killed by the so called quite bull that turns. Taht bull inside in a pen that he could not get out of would be easy and safe to manage.

Had rig earlier this year that I could not let back to grass. Looked like a bullock. Fed him inside on barley into a 2= and got 3.9/kg for him. If I had sold him at fatscore 1 I have only got 3/kg.

Admittly Whealan price was a little on the low side however her bull was only FS1 what FS was your's. With bulls and cows FS is nearly more important than grade
    A loaded shotgun is relatively safe but you wouldn't leave it around the farmyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Have 2 chx bullocks. One of em 26 months and the other just gone 24. Reckon they are coming up on 500 kgs. Should I sell now ye think or hold for another 7/8 weeks. Won't get to killing weight here so wondering when to sell em on.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

I said wrote: »
    Lmx bullock 520kgs €1400 in ballymahon yesterday I'd say the buyer wouldn't want to hear of a pull in prices although the seller would be happy with that.

What about the lad that gave €1100 each for the two fancy weanlings?

• Advertisement

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Have 2 chx bullocks. One of em 26 months and the other just gone 24. Reckon they are coming up on 500 kgs. Should I sell now ye think or hold for another 7/8 weeks. Won't get to killing weight here so wondering when to sell em on.

They'd have to be more than 500kg. On grass alone a Chx of any grade should do 0.8kg without any problem a day. If they over 600kg you may get between 1450 and 1600 in mart depending how made they are. At that age they really should be on the 700kg mark and over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement