Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

They'd have to be more than 500kg. On grass alone a Chx of any grade should do 0.8kg without any problem a day. If they over 600kg you may get between 1450 and 1600 in mart depending how made they are. At that age they really should be on the 700kg mark and over.

Often saw 22 months CH bullocks 22 months old only 400 kgs. Hard to put weight on watery grass and rushes

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

They'd have to be more than 500kg. On grass alone a Chx of any grade should do 0.8kg without any problem a day. If they over 600kg you may get between 1450 and 1600 in mart depending how made they are. At that age they really should be on the 700kg mark and over.

Quiet possible they are more. Always seem to underestimate weights. So at let's say 550kg or more they should come into 1350 plus

Often saw 22 months CH bullocks 22 months old only 400 kgs. Hard to put weight on watery grass and rushes

They are good shaped cattle with a good cover on them.Gave €875 for them may last year so am thinking it's time to cash in. To be honest if I thought I was going to get 1200 to 1300 now I'd be delighted with the return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

huey1975 wrote: »
    What about the lad that gave €1100 each for the two fancy weanlings?

Aye look good grazing near the road alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

huey1975 wrote: »
    What about the lad that gave €1100 each for the two fancy weanlings?

They might come into 2000 each when they are 24 months. If they are good the day you buy they will be good the day you sell

• Advertisement

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    They are good shaped cattle with a good cover on them.Gave €875 for them may last year so am thinking it's time to cash in. To be honest if I thought I was going to get 1200 to 1300 now I'd be delighted with the return

It is easy to make money in a rising market. What kills you is the replacement costs. What will the two you buy to replace cost.

It is easy to make money in a rising market. What kills you is the replacement costs. What will the two you buy to replace cost.

Oh shur I know. I have no doubt the 875 paid for them last year would be closer to 1000 this year for the same cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

True. Often thought that us drystock lads should play to this. Ie stock to the hilt when cattle hit the floor and only carry the bear minimum for sfp and make silage for the year when cattle plummet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Oh shur I know. I have no doubt the 875 paid for them last year would be closer to 1000 this year for the same cattle

What weight were they when you boughy them and what age?

Muckit wrote: »
    True. Often thought that us drystock lads should play to this. Ie stock to the hilt when cattle hit the floor and only carry the bear minimum for sfp and make silage for the year when cattle plummet again.

Buy when no one wants them and sell when its mad. If only you had a crystal ball Muckit. I'd like to think im fairly insulated from the madness as buy in really young weans and obviously the sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Buy when no one wants them and sell when its mad. If only you had a crystal ball Muckit. I'd like to think im fairly insulated from the madness as buy in really young weans and obviously the sucks.

Oddly though the madmen who hold there stock number and hold fast to their system never seem to go too far astray.

A farm is a bit like a machine. When it is being used and oiled and maintained it will go forever. Leave it idle and it rots and seizes up. Leave your farm devoid of stock and the grassland deteriorates rapidly and place falls asunder. Your stock money will dry up and disappear. It simply doesn't work.

What weight were they when you boughy them and what age?

14 and 16 months when bought and were 370kg if I remember rightly. Wouldn't have got feed just plenty of grass and silage since.
    Have a pic of one of em but no idea how to put it up

14 and 16 months when bought and were 370kg if I remember rightly. Wouldn't have got feed just plenty of grass and silage since.
    Have a pic of one of em but no idea how to put it up

So they are probably 610kg now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Whats being paid for bulls under 16 mths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

case885 wrote: »

415 on grid don't want them
    Will know more towards end of week all depends on numbers

epfff wrote:
    415 on grid don't want them Will know more towards end of week all depends on numbers

4.20 not bad then for bulls missing the age too. What weight would you be expecting them to kill out at?
    Father is selling them this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

4.20 not bad then for bulls missing the age too. What weight would you be expecting them to kill out at?
    Father is selling them this week.

Killed a guy 480kgs on hook at 14 months
    Also a 18 month at 240kgs
    how long is piece of string

epfff wrote:
    Killed a guy 480kgs on hook at 14 months Also a 18 month at 240kgs how long is piece of string

Averaging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

A neighbour got a few BlondeX Bulls killed last week, U grades, averaged 437c/kg I think. Killed out at 390 - 420kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Is cattle numbers there or is it just the bad weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

Have a few 16-18 month old charolais bullocks up around 480-500 kgs, just wondering on what they making in marts these times, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭newholland

massey265 wrote: »
    Have a few 16-18 month old charolais bullocks up around 480-500 kgs, just wondering on what they making in marts these times, thanks in advance.

2.40 -2.50 per kg.

got quoted 4.15 for young bulls next week. Back 10 cents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

massey265 wrote: »

If decent quality around €1200. Ya mightn't see it for them in a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

newholland wrote: »
    2.40 -2.50 per kg.

The oldest trick in the book. Drop the price to panic lads into selling.

newholland wrote: »
    2.40 -2.50 per kg.

I presume you will hold for a few weeks, don't be a soft touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

The oldest trick in the book. Drop the price to panic lads into selling.

Problem is they are all dropping prices next week. If they are fit to go they have to go.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Problem is they are all dropping prices next week. If they are fit to go they have to go.

Disagree bulls seldom go over fat. Factory's have no issue with weight this year. The only limiting factor is conversion to feeding. This is an issue with Fresians Bulls but most other bulls when they get to a decent weight the amount of flesh that they put on covers feeding costs.

No reason to panic this year 2-3 weeks will make no difference to bulls aside from age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

Disagree bulls seldom go over fat. Factory's have no issue with weight this year. The only limiting factor is conversion to feeding. This is an issue with Fresians Bulls but most other bulls when they get to a decent weight the amount of flesh that they put on covers feeding costs.

No reason to panic this year 2-3 weeks will make no difference to bulls aside from age.

Damage to wet ground ,might be a problem, keep rotating them around paddocks or you will be swimming in mud

Nettleman wrote: »
    Damage to wet ground ,might be a problem, keep rotating them around paddocks or you will be swimming in mud

If they are outside it is even easier house them on silage and ration they will power away. You could hold them until after Christmass. These sort of cattle will really thrive straight from housing.

• Advertisement

bulls will have to go inside for 100 days plus. I think if the weather improves the price will also.

AP2014 wrote: »
    If decent quality around €1200. Ya mightn't see it for them in a few months.

Why ya reckon that AP. Will there not be a scacerity in stores until next summer?

Why ya reckon that AP. Will there not be a scacerity in stores until next summer?

I hope so and maybe prices will hold or even improve. But prices seem crazy at the moment, they maybe scarce but some of these stores lads won't be finishing until late next summer or even autumn, could be a few burns.

I will be selling my stores November so hopefully prices hold till then. Feckin poor weather isn't helping them thrive. Good dose of pour on yesterday might help them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Anybody get quotes for this week? This week will be a tester I think.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

blue5000 wrote: »

O grade Bulls down 5c to 4.05

blue5000 wrote: »

I agree if we hold the line this week there will be no serious price pull. Numbers are on our side. Bulls are scarce as most lads squeezed them last year. There is still at least 60K less cattle to kill between here and Christmas and it may be a lot higher as there will be fewer bulls in the system. Cows are the unknown quantity as will lads kill them straight out of the parlour as they dry them off. It is up to us as farmers to hold the line.

• Advertisement

Bullocks. 4.20 is all anyone will be getting tomorrow and tomorrow they will be quoting 4.15. It's still very good for this time of year.
    There may be better quotes for travelling.

The word is that 4.10 is what they have in the cross hairs. Anyone holding fit cattle is ill advised.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Bullocks. 4.20 is all anyone will be getting tomorrow and tomorrow they will be quoting 4.15. It's still very good for this time of year.
    There may be better quotes for travelling.

The word is that 4.10 is what they have in the cross hairs. Anyone holding fit cattle is ill advised.

Are they testing the water a bit or do they have their own reserves built up. Doesn't make sense to me as with all the cattle that have gone up north lately also they should be a bigger demand and lower supply so by the rule of simple enough economics the price should at least hold if not rise. But with it being one big cartel I'm not surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Every year as long as I can remember cattle prices go south this time of year. Why do lads think this year will be different?

Every year as long as I can remember cattle prices go south this time of year. Why do lads think this year will be different?

It the numbers we have never entered an end of year where the factory's will struggle to keep the kill up to 30K/week. The kill has stayed strong all year long as factory's have wanted cattle to fill UK contracts. Cow kill is back 32K. Heifer kill is on par with last year. Young Bull kill is back 40K while steer kill is up 40K.

At the start of the year we had between 100-140K less cattle ( cattle in the 18-30 month age group) to kill this year compared to last year. IMO there is at least 60K less cattle if not more than that to kill from now to Christmas. Last autumn a lot of young (sub 24 month) cattle were killed this may not happen this year with a strong store price.

At present processors are in a bind. Big finishers are not filling sheds. I have heard it on the grapevine that a lot of regular finishers have empty sheds that usually finish cattle out of sheds. These are looking for price guarantee for cattle this winter as store prices are too strong.

It is quite simply the numbers are on the farmers side. We could say the same about the Hurling and football why hold an All Ireland championship as Kilkenny will win the hurling and Kerry or Dublin the football but things do not always happen like that.

It the numbers we have never entered an end of year where the factory's will struggle to keep the kill up to 30K/week. The kill has stayed strong all year long as factory's have wanted cattle to fill UK contracts. Cow kill is back 32K. Heifer kill is on par with last year. Young Bull kill is back 40K while steer kill is up 40K.

At the start of the year we had between 100-140K less cattle ( cattle in the 18-30 month age group) to kill this year compared to last year. IMO there is at least 60K less cattle if not more than that to kill from now to Christmas. Last autumn a lot of young (sub 24 month) cattle were killed this may not happen this year with a strong store price.

At present processors are in a bind. Big finishers are not filling sheds. I have heard it on the grapevine that a lot of regular finishers have empty sheds that usually finish cattle out of sheds. These are looking for price guarantee for cattle this winter as store prices are too strong.

It is quite simply the numbers are on the farmers side. We could say the same about the Hurling and football why hold an All Ireland championship as Kilkenny will win the hurling and Kerry or Dublin the football but things do not always happen like that.

You were busy counting the nations cattle 12 months ago too as I recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Willfarman wrote: »
    You were busy counting the nations cattle 12 months ago too as I recall.
    How would the figures compare to 2012/2013?
    Also the stg difference is bringing extra buyers which will reduce numbers even more

I am not saying that a price pull will not happen but on the numbers it should not last long. Reality it is in the interest of processors and those that have sold finished cattle that a price pull happens. This will force down the price of stores (maybe).

However lads that hold cattle will be rewarded I think in the short term. Last year if I had sold semi finished Fresians in August I have got a base of 3.4/kg I think I got a base of over 4/kg coming up to Christmass. I do not thing any price pull will last this year. I think a sudden flush of cattle going into factory's will mean a bigger shortage from late September on. Last year it was lads killing unfinished young cattle in October/November that caused the price collapse to hold as long as it did.

I am not saying that a price pull will not happen but on the numbers it should not last long. Reality it is in the interest of processors and those that have sold finished cattle that a price pull happens. This will force down the price of stores (maybe).

However lads that hold cattle will be rewarded I think in the short term. Last year if I had sold semi finished Fresians in August I have got a base of 3.4/kg I think I got a base of over 4/kg coming up to Christmass. I do not thing any price pull will last this year. I think a sudden flush of cattle going into factory's will mean a bigger shortage from late September on. Last year it was lads killing unfinished young cattle in October/November that caused the price collapse to hold as long as it did.

How to you see store prices late October early November? Surely will be hard to match current prices.

Holding fit cattle is stupid. Anyone who held from last week will be running hard to stand still.

It's quite simple .money 💵 will get scarce before cattle

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    It's quite simple .money 💵 will get scarce before cattle

Hello prophet of doom. Was wondering where you were gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Lots of cheap weight going onto cattle at the moment. I cant see any long term pull being achieved. There really only trying to put a stop to the price rise. Attack is the best form of defence.

Dont here them talking about the heavy cattle and the steaks being to big for the trays this year???

In case it has escaped your attention there has been a successful price pull. 10 cent over the last 2 weeks. An another cut to come.. But thankfully we are falling only a little from a very dizzy height. Hope fully we won't see sub 4.00 this year.

You can call me what you like .but it is a fact and has always been.but if the weather changes so will the price.

mf240 wrote: »
    Lots of cheap weight going onto cattle at the moment. I cant see any long term pull being achieved. There really only trying to put a stop to the price rise. Attack is the best form of defence.

Dont here them talking about the heavy cattle and the steaks being to big for the trays this year???

Nope. Anything goes with weight age etc etc. Last yr they would screw ya on over 30mts this yr they will they will let in a few over 36mts in a batch with a wink and a nod and no big penalties. They will try cause a scare and lads might send off cattle now but as my elderly neighbour said when his cows broke into the silage bales "tis on themselves their doing it" as if there is a big push now with cattle and as FP says cattle are scarce then prices will rise pretty damn quick again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement