Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    You can call me what you like .but it is a fact and has always been.but if the weather changes so will the price.

DAS and SFP cheques coming up, also will be a handy budget in October before election. Lads will be getting GLAS approval next month or two as well. Hopefully be plenty of money around the sales rings. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

AP2014 wrote: »
    DAS and SFP cheques coming up, also will be a handy budget in October before election. Lads will be getting GLAS approval next month or two as well. Hopefully be plenty of money around the sales rings. :)

14 birthday bullocks are genuinely scarce this year.
    Friesians have fallen off the cliff from the ridiculous height they were at because the were the most over valued.

Middle of the road stuff and the nice quality stuff has changed very little despite a few big sales locally in the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Willfarman wrote: »
    14 birthday bullocks are genuinely scarce this year.
    Friesians have fallen off the cliff from the ridiculous height they were at because the were the most over valued.

Middle of the road stuff and the nice quality stuff has changed very little despite a few big sales locally in the last few weeks.

And as always good stock holds its own. There were lads giving €2 per kg for FR in the marts. I'd say it nearly had FP thinking of buying continentals as there was more value to be had. 400 kg FR cattle replacements should be no more than 1.50per kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Hill Bill

Any quotes for underage bullocks? Have 10 to go, can't hold them much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Hill Bill wrote: »

4.15 this week

Hold out and listen to the experts here..They'll be 4.10 next week!!:D. If you really hold out you might get 4.00!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Got €4.25 base price on Tuesday. 2 of them over age but ignored. Mostly R's but probably 3 U's on the Grid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Talking to an agent, his words, ''weather will play a big part over next couple weeks, they are not being flooded with cattle just getting enough and not a lot backed up yet'', and he continued, '' getting too many cattle will be as bad as too little for them as if kill remains like last years kill cattle will be very scarce by September''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

In case it has escaped your attention there has been a successful price pull. 10 cent over the last 2 weeks. An another cut to come.. But thankfully we are falling only a little from a very dizzy height. Hope fully we won't see sub 4.00 this year.

Not rightly a dizzy height when you take the change in sterling valuation into account , roughly 15% increase in value against the euro from this time last year
    Base 12 months ago was 3.70-3.75 + 15% = 4.25- 4.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

heard larry has close on 30k cattle booked into b&b, would that be possible or just bulls1th high stool talk ?

Got €4.25 base price on Tuesday. 2 of them over age but ignored. Mostly R's but probably 3 U's on the Grid

Was that 4.25 agreed from last week. Didn't think it is to be got this week.

Heifers are 4.25 but not steers

orm0nd wrote: »
    heard larry has close on 30k cattle booked into b&b, would that be possible or just bulls1th high stool talk ?

Processors have not being active in the store market to my understanding for last few months. What he may have access to is those famous hereford calves that he bought early last year. These are the ones that he sold to farmers after the raising of them turned into a disaster. When selling them AIBP group gave invidual farmers gaurantee's on price. However what amount are there is questionable dowubt if 30K of them. There was substancial calf losses is my understanding during the rearing period and that is why they were sold on at 3 months. He did not venture into the calf rearing business this year.

It is unlikly that these would be available in large numbers before Christmass and it may well be later that that.

Processors have not being active in the store market to my understanding for last few months. What he may have access to is those famous hereford calves that he bought early last year. These are the ones that he sold to farmers after the raising of them turned into a disaster. When selling them AIBP group gave invidual farmers gaurantee's on price. However what amount are there is questionable dowubt if 30K of them. There was substancial calf losses is my understanding during the rearing period and that is why they were sold on at 3 months. He did not venture into the calf rearing business this year.

It is unlikly that these would be available in large numbers before Christmass and it may well be later that that.

Your understanding is incorrect.

Grass cattle are what it about at this time of year. Contracted agents have cattle of there own on grass at any time for any day they run short. Price will be 4.10 next week. Hopefully will not dip below 4.00 mid October .

not going to go up from here till after cattle are housed. The price is a dizzy height for this time of year thanks to the sterling strength and anyone complaining after holding cattle they could have killed two weeks ago only have themselves to blame.

.20 cent is 70eur on a 350 kg carcass and approx 1 months good thrive to make it up in the event the animal has potential to do so and the price doesn't fall further.. Fat stock need a lot of energy to stand still..

But someday I hope to no longer be a soft seller "throwing cattle" and become one of these hardened sellers unaffected by the need to turn over cattle to turn money in order to make money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Dunedin wrote: »
    Was that 4.25 agreed from last week. Didn't think it is to be got this week.

Heifers are 4.25 but not steers

Agreed last Thursday evening, had to have 15 bullock too, nothing less. Could only get €4.15 if booked in this week.
    They are still looking for cattle while pulling the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Talking to an agent, his words, ''weather will play a big part over next couple weeks, they are not being flooded with cattle just getting enough and not a lot backed up yet'', and he continued, '' getting too many cattle will be as bad as too little for them as if kill remains like last years kill cattle will be very scarce by September''.
    What are the numbers looking like for finished cattle next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

We Are price takers not price makers.but I think price will get better if the weather as I have already said.I said that the price would drop 2 weeks ago.soft sellers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

just had a phone call from a fellow who's in the queue @ Ennis mart, huge entry of stock it appears , cattle starting to move off the land a lot earlier than norm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

just had a phone call from a fellow who's in the queue @ Ennis mart, huge entry of stock it appears , cattle starting to move off the land a lot earlier than norm.

Good stuff, ease the glut of cattle in Oct/Nov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

AP2014 wrote: »
    Good stuff, ease the glut of cattle in Oct/Nov.

Could be a once off depending on the weather . If it came good they might hold awhile longer.
    It's hard to know what way they will be selling towards Christmas

Your understanding is incorrect.

Grass cattle are what it about at this time of year. Contracted agents have cattle of there own on grass at any time for any day they run short. Price will be 4.10 next week. Hopefully will not dip below 4.00 mid October .

not going to go up from here till after cattle are housed. The price is a dizzy height for this time of year thanks to the sterling strength and anyone complaining after holding cattle they could have killed two weeks ago only have themselves to blame.

.20 cent is 70eur on a 350 kg carcass and approx 1 months good thrive to make it up in the event the animal has potential to do so and the price doesn't fall further.. Fat stock need a lot of energy to stand still..

But someday I hope to no longer be a soft seller "throwing cattle" and become one of these hardened sellers unaffected by the need to turn over cattle to turn money in order to make money!

First off I am accusing no one of being a soft seller. And yes 20c/kg is about 70/head on finished cattle. And again you are correct it is about grass cattle this time of year.

However it is also about lad chasing the 30 month age limit anf factory's using it to there advantage. As I saw in the Indo last week I think one lad made the point that not all cattle make that 12c/kg. In fact less that 50% of cattle slaughtered get the QA allowance.

It is all about numbers now. Last week if the Dept of Agri is to be believe we killed 250 more than 2014. Also if the CMMS is to be believed last March there was 100K less cattle in the slaughter system. If Board Bia and the department is to be believed there is 40K more steers slaughtered than this time last year.

If I remember right last year autumn kill was fairly static at around 30K/week. The real kill last year as well as this year was in the May/June period. Now years ago Bill Clinton made the point about the economy I make the same point it will be about numbers. If the kill drops to 27/28K prices will strenghten.

It is unlikly that kill numbers will fall this week or next but it will happen. The only risk/variable is cow's. Kill has been low all year as dairy men dry off will they cull at a large rate. If they do will it higher than last year. If they do cull will they sent straight to the factory or will they sell through the mart.

Most years prices vary from August-November. Last year the Factory's had it all there own way as lads killed young cattle off grass. However the numbers are against them this year. Yes I count the numbers when I buy, when I borrow, when I invest, I do not always get it right but I have not gone bust yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Hill Bill

Quoted 4.15, underage bullocks, going early next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I'm not surprised, Always the same after a few wet weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

She's for the factory in the morning, how do ye reckon she'll do?
    A bit light for my liking on the rib but she's gotten overfat at the back end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

What are they giving for R grade cows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Kovu wrote: »

what price ya get? grading not as important with cows as flat price, reckon shell be fine regarding fat score anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Quoted 4.15, underage bullocks, going early next week.

What part of the country is this in? Liffey quoted me 4.10 kill next week - Kepak are to get back to me on 4.15. Got 4.20 this week.

simx wrote: »
    what price ya get? grading not as important with cows as flat price, reckon shell be fine regarding fat score anyway

I haven't asked the haulier yet, she's making up part of a load so I'm hoping it's a good one :)
    He's a decent enough fella and I've known him for ten years so I don't think he'll do me over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Any idea what 2 AA heifers born last spring would make ij mart atm.
    Roughly 450 kg +

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Any idea what 2 AA heifers born last spring would make ij mart atm.
    Roughly 450 kg +

450 kg would be a savage weight .950 maby plus .beef men in the ring have lost the plot !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

got 1080 for 500kg aax heifer a few weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    450 kg would be a savage weight .950 maby plus .beef men in the ring have lost the plot !!

Maidens are 400av and these 2 look bigger any way.
    Do they need to be blooded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Maidens are 400av and these 2 look bigger any way.
    Do they need to be blooded?

Not if they're under 24mths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

R-3= I'd guess

R-3= I'd guess

R=4+ She killed out 400kg.

<<edit I'm wrong!! I either heard her wrong or le lady read it wrong!!>>

Any prices for next week yet

Dunedin wrote: »
    Any prices for next week yet

4.10 bullocks. 4.20 heifers. Slaney. Liffey meats hacketstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Now is the time to TRY and dig in.The weather is looking good for all next week.

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    Now is the time to TRY and dig in.The weather is looking good for all next week.

Dig into what? The turf??:D

R=4+ She killed out 450kg.

Serious weight for a cow, she doesn't look that big in the pics. I was thinking if she killed out at 350 kgs she'd be doing well.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Serious weight for a cow, she doesn't look that big in the pics. I was thinking if she killed out at 350 kgs she'd be doing well.

I had fun trying to find her today, we were told the wrong factory and I had a very abrupt phone call with the first factory.

Few guesses and wrong ends later, I got her in Ballyduff and the lady told me she KO'd at that and how she graded. If the paperwork is wrong (or if the office lady is, I'll let you know) If it's correct, I'll photograph the document!!

I had fun trying to find her today, we were told the wrong factory and I had a very abrupt phone call with the first factory.

Few guesses and wrong ends later, I got her in Ballyduff and the lady told me she KO'd at that and how she graded. If the paperwork is wrong (or if the office lady is, I'll let you know) If it's correct, I'll photograph the document!!

Fair enough, I'm just heading off to collect the cheque now, it's going to be a good weekend for me.:)

tanko wrote: »
    Fair enough, I'm just heading off to collect the cheque now, it's going to be a good weekend for me.:)

Can I come too? :p

Can I come too? :p

Of course, I'll be in The Tank, if you can find it;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

R=4+ She killed out 450kg.

Great weight did you get 4.05 for her?

Great weight did you get 4.05 for her?

When I rang she hadn't prices up yet so I'm very wary of the score/weight just yet. I'll find out next week I guess.

• Advertisement

Either I heard wrong or she told me wrong, it was 400kg KO, at 3.9. (Boo :() About 1500 take home. Don't think I would get that in the mart, not taking out testng and mart charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You most definitely would have missy. And well you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Either I heard wrong or she told me wrong, it was 400kg KO, at 3.9. (Boo :() About 1500 take home. Don't think I would get that in the mart, not taking out testng and mart charges.

Great k/o, dissapointing price imo, should be at minimum €4 if not €4.10, no point saying it now when she's hung ha, be nice to have a load of them cows all the same @1500

Muckit wrote: »
    You most definitely would have missy. And well you know it.

I don't know, no vet testing fee or call out, €20 haulage and factory fees only. Very little feeding and still killed out 4+. Despite feeding a weanling up to two weeks ago :o She was only 4yrs old, I was sure she was 5. No matter, she's steak now!
    simx wrote: »
    Great k/o, dissapointing price imo, should be at minimum €4 if not €4.10, no point saying it now when she's hung ha, be nice to have a load of them cows all the same @1500

Tbh it's the first animal I have factoried in ten years. Because it's part of an agent load, am I right in saying it could be brought up to a flat fee? B-duff were paying way higher last week so I can't see them dropping that much, would they? Or could it drop that way if more poor cows on the load?

I've two more, O's for sure and will prob send them same way. It just saves on hassle bringing them in for blooding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

You are dead right

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement