Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

I send an an odd fat cow to the factory in BJD, always agree a price before she goes tho. In the mart on Tuesday dealers were paying from €2/Kg up to €2.18/KG for heavy good quality finished cows over 700 KGS. This is €4 - €4.36/KG deadweight. Some factories must be paying more than this to dealers who can put a load of cows together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I've always said this. It just doesn't apply to cows. The lad sending 5-6 cattle at a time has no clout with the factories. You want to be sending 15+ at a time.

Selling anything, are you better with one potential buyer or a few? Ringing up the factory, you are only given a grid price dead weight. You are giving them a live animal. There are so many variables. You'd want to have a doctorate in mathematics to figure out what you should get.

Go to the mart. You can compare your cattle with others on the day. You see their weight as they come in on the scales. You can see the buyers and the form. You have a lot more info. It's less cloak and dagger. Personally always found it a better and straighter way of trading stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

That cow would have made at least 100 more in the mart.it's a serious cow at 450 kg deadweight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Muckit wrote: »
    I've always said this. It just doesn't apply to cows. The lad sending 5-6 cattle at a time has no clout with the factories. You want to be sending 15+ at a time.

Selling anything, are you better with one potential buyer or a few? Ringing up the factory, you are only given a grid price dead weight. You are giving them a live animal. There are so many variables. You'd want to have a doctorate in mathematics to figure out what you should get.

Go to the mart. You can compare your cattle with others on the day. You see their weight as they come in on the scales. You can see the buyers and the form. You have a lot more info. It's less cloak and dagger. Personally always found it a better and straighter way of trading stock.

+1000 .unless ur a factory regular and sending regular stock you'll get rode bareback in the factory .mart is the place to go as you've more bidders ,see and hear of lots sending cows a long way from been finished straight to the factory .madness there doing themselves out of money and dragging price down for factory fit stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

simx wrote: »
    Great k/o, dissapointing price imo, should be at minimum €4 if not €4.10, no point saying it now when she's hung ha, be nice to have a load of them cows all the same @1500

Wìth a base price of 4.15 for underage cattle 3.9/kg for R'cows is a good price relatively speaking.
    tanko wrote: »
    I send an an odd fat cow to the factory in BJD, always agree a price before she goes tho. In the mart on Tuesday dealers were paying from €2/Kg up to €2.18/KG for heavy good quality finished cows over 700 KGS. This is €4 - €4.36/KG deadweight. Some factories must be paying more than this to dealers who can put a load of cows together.

This shows that cattle are tight factory holding base prices but paying throught the nose in the marts for cows. 2.18/kg live weight for cows could be anything from 4.1-4.55/kg giving a K/O range of 48-53%. Only ways dealers pay a price like this is if factory is directly picking up the bill. They are not buying on spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Cull cows:
    1 Fr 480kgs ­ €760, 1 Ch 895kgs ­ €1,960, 1 Lim 525kgs ­ €1,220, 1 
    Hex 840kgs ­ €1,480, 1 Ch 695kgs ­ €1,500, 1 Ch 715kgs ­ €1,650

Ennis yesterday ,, no doubt these would have been the top prices of the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

3.90 is no bad price for R grade cow this week. And I seen nothing in the 2 marts any better this week either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭grange mac

Muckit wrote: »

Problem in some marts in south west is you have tanglers picking out animals as they come in and won't bid against each other....have seem some of my animals get 1 bid & sold....now I just sell on show n sale days so outsiders are around the sales pen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

grange mac wrote: »
    Problem in some marts in south west is you have tanglers picking out animals as they come in and won't bid against each other....have seem some of my animals get 1 bid & sold....now I just sell on show n sale days so outsiders are around the sales pen.
    That goes on in most marts throughout the country - hand in!

Lads selling cattle in singles only gift these bucks the chance to divide them up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

All cull cows sold in singles in all marts in kerry
    The northern buyers have put a good bit of life in marts down here all year , i have seen them put at least €100 on any cow they were on but if they only went out for a pee ,the local tanglers would drag back prices .I would want to be guaranteed them nortern buyers were attending mart before i would carry a factory fit cow to the mart otherwise factory and all i would have is a couple at the time

talking to a lad that was in SMB today, only the top 800kg cows making €2/kg , feeding cows well back , heifers back

a ch bull for €1700, he reckons he was worth >€1900 on the hook (forget the weight but over 1K kg in any case )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

orm0nd wrote: »
    talking to a lad that was in SMB today, only the top 800kg cows making €2/kg , feeding cows well back , heifers back

a ch bull for €1700, he reckons he was worth >€1900 on the hook (forget the weight but over 1K kg in any case )

Yeah lads talk about farmers getting rode on price in the factory but the manner in which some farmers give away finished cattle in the mart is incredible sometimes. You'd wonder can some of them divide by two and multiply by four when they see the weight.

They seem to have got away with a 20 cent cut.bulls seem less affected? .what a difference a year makes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    They seem to have got away with a 20 cent cut.bulls seem less affected? .what a difference a year makes?

Ya reckon that is the height of the pull so?

Ya reckon that is the height of the pull so?

What would I know 😞

What would I know 😞

Forecasting good news is not your strong point! ;-)

Forecasting good news is not your strong point! ;-)

I think its more I told you so?

I think its more I told you so?

We'll see what the bounce back is like before we get into humble pie territory!

• Advertisement

Ah feck it's still not a bad price for this day of the year.. But it wasn't any secret requiring ears to grapevines. 'Twas common knowledge to anyone in the game.

You'd have an eggy face if your still looking at fat overage cattle you could of moved a month ago.. They've fell 25 cent actually.

Yes there will be a bounce but it will be September

They have to lift 25 cent to be where they were and more to be an actual rise.

Willfarman wrote: »
    They have to lift 25 cent to be where they were and more to be an actual rise.

Cannot see it happening.can you

Cannot see it happening.can you

It won't happen until mid November at the earliest.

It won't happen until mid November at the earliest.

It is all about numbers now. Last two weeks 500 more cattle killed than same period last year. Last week there was a bank holiday but kill still hit 28K+. This can be read two way either kill very strong or processors need a kill near 30K/week. The numbers of the kill being stronger than last year may seem small however what is happening is what ever shortfall of cattle is being squeezed into a smaller number of weeks.

If the numbers are right there is a drop of 60K between here and Christmas. That may be condensed into a smaller period which may mean that the 60K cattle shortfall could fall into a 10-12 week period. It is unlikly that the kill will fall sharply before early September but a spell of dry warm weather could change all that.

It should also be remembered that it is in some farmers and processors interest to spread the panic and panic the store trade as well. These lads may be anxious to buy cattle after selling underage early in the year. The processors want to fill feedlots of cheap stores for Christmas and the New Year The mystical 25c is gone it is unlikly the processors will knock cattle further as supplies may dry up and the chance of a rebound are higher as farmers may start to hold if prices fall further, Cattle are still putting on cheap weight, Cattle at FS 3 and better are converting at 60%+ even Friesians as they lay down flesh instead of bone, skin and gut. Cattle will pound on flesh if the autumn is anyway good.

The other thing is this idea that 4.1/kg is a great price for this time of year is relative. I got a base of 4.2/kg in late October two years ago. The big thing is when numbers fall bargin hard at prices well above the previous price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Have meat factories got the ifa in there pockets in there pockets now to us don't hear a word out of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Duke92 wrote: »
    Have meat factories got the ifa in there pockets in there pockets now to us don't hear a word out of them

Have the farmers any brains
    Running wild all summer like if cattle were never to be seen again at a mart
    Then a squib of rain/I didn't know they were coming 30 months and throw them at factories

4.10 is a very good price for this time of year. With no horse meat scandal or the like. Cattle were 4.35 a month ago minus 4.10 is 25 cent. Nothing mystical there Pudsey?

I never see sense in holding back fit cattle. If it gives You the notion you are cleverer than other farmers such as me well that's your prerogative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

epfff wrote: »
    Have the farmers any brains
    Running wild all summer like if cattle were never to be seen again at a mart
    Then a squib of rain/I didn't know they were coming 30 months and throw them at factories

Yup and the same lads that couldn't get rid of bulls lad year were the lads paying the big money this year for cattle.

4.10 is a very good price for this time of year. With no horse meat scandal or the like. Cattle were 4.35 a month ago minus 4.10 is 25 cent. Nothing mystical there Pudsey?

I never see sense in holding back fit cattle. If it gives You the notion you are cleverer than other farmers such as me well that's your prerogative.

What I ment by mytical is that this price was only available for 10-14 days. As well the Big 3 in general did not pay it to local small to medium sized suppliers. Locally 4.3 was the best available and that only for the end of one week. In general 4.25 was the best got by most local suppliers around me. So locally the drop has ben about 15c/kg or 50/head.

I sdo not think I am any cleaverer than anyone else however beef farmers tend not to use all data at there disposal. Cattle numbers to beef farmers is a smaller version of grass measuring to dairy farmers. If I was a store man I be slow to buy 2015 yearling next spring and unless 2016 calves were well back in price I be letting them there as well. I only fill minimum numbers to satify what ever schemes I was in.

What is happening at the moment IMO ( and I may be wrong) is processors are trying to drop the store price to allow finishers to buy these store at a cheaper price than at present. Finishers that are on contract are at present bargaining for the price next Christmass/New Year and beyond. At present store prices they need a base of 4.5 and higher to stock sheds. These finishers ( to a certain extent) will be competeing with grass finishers like me for cattle over next few weeks. A lot of finishers have to have contracts in place before banks will allow short term loans to be in place for stock and feed over next few weeks.

It will all come down to numbers for next 4-6 weeks processors will have 30 month limit on there side as the March 2013 cattle dissappear or go over age pressure will come on the kill if the CMS is right ( maybe it is wrong and someone there pressed the wrong button in March) 60K less cattle could be squeezed into 8-12 weeks, that is 5-8K/week less than last year. it is not about being clever it is about understanding your business.

I only buy cattle at one or two stages ever year, and it is the same with selling. As a lad that works as well I cannot afford to be in the Mart 3-4 days a week ( when I retire in 8-10 years time it will be different). In general from this week on I will be going 1-2 times a week if I can. If I see value I will dip into the market. But I think that this year we will see a strong finishing price at some stage in the autumn. Weather will dictate it to an extent as will cull cows and now China is the known unknown as Donald Rumfelt would say.

• Advertisement

The factories aren't trying anything.

They have dropped the price 20 to to 25 cent from its peak 4 odd weeks ago.
    That is a fact. Kill sheets available if needed.. I'll have to get a loan of ap2014 scanner though!

I wouldn't like to be looking at overge fat cattle that are not worth what they were a month ago. Be a Hardened seller and bla h blah Justin McCarthy bull****! The real clever guys aimed to and killed weeks ago and are starting to buy again now. 420kg friesian bought yesterday 700€. Will easy put up 50 kgs by nov. And graze 3 of them to every two heavy cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

The more you talk there Puds, l'm realising there isn't a hope in hell the factories will allow the 30 mth limit to be upped. Beef forum or no beef forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

The factories aren't trying anything.

They have dropped the price 20 to to 25 cent from its peak 4 odd weeks ago.
    That is a fact. Kill sheets available if needed.. I'll have to get a loan of ap2014 scanner though!

I wouldn't like to be looking at overge fat cattle that are not worth what they were a month ago. Be a Hardened seller and bla h blah Justin McCarthy bull****! The real clever guys aimed to and killed weeks ago and are starting to buy again now. 420kg friesian bought yesterday 700€. Will easy put up 50 kgs by nov. And graze 3 of them to every two heavy cattle.

Post them on to me and I'll scan them in for ya:) The price might be back up again I get around to it though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

AP2014 wrote: »
    Post them on to me and I'll scan them in for ya:) The price might be back up again I get around to it though. :D

I taught you were running low cost operation there AP, scanners now and a computer !!:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Nettleman wrote: »
    I taught you were running low cost operation there AP, scanners now and a computer !!:D:D

I hope his office didn't cost as much as greenfields :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Blooded a few yesterday a few fr culls - still milking in good condition- a pb aa cow cull in good condition and a pb aa heifer 2 years old. Will I get rid asap? Have 60 days from blooding

whelan2 wrote: »
    Blooded a few yesterday a few fr culls - still milking in good condition- a pb aa cow cull in good condition and a pb aa heifer 2 years old. Will I get rid asap? Have 60 days from blooding

I say yes.

What value have you on them.i could call?

What value have you on them.i could call?

You have been talking down the trade since you arrived and now after 18 posts you want to whip an old lady's couple cows:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

You have been talking down the trade since you arrived and now after 18 posts you want to whip an old lady's couple cows:rolleyes:

RIP Pudsey.

• Advertisement

I say yes.

I say hold until Sept.

I am delighted you can count 😊

had a busy day planned but think I'll hang around for a bit

BOT neighbour sold 2 well fleshed br fr cows @ mart 700 kgs €1400 , 670kgs €1070

blooding finished cows & selling @ mart??? yes you keeping the vets,marts happy and helping to pay for the 151 trucks that i see some of the tanglers driving

i'd say you're a fair bit older than me?

BOT neighbour sold 2 well fleshed br fr cows @ mart 700 kgs €1400 , 670kgs €1070

blooding finished cows & selling @ mart??? yes you keeping the vets,marts happy and helping to pay for the 151 trucks that i see some of the tanglers driving
    vet was out to a sick bull so made it worth their while and got them blooded. Did you see the pic of the 152 scania at ardee mart? He normally buys a few culls from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Sorry Ormond, I didn't have time for my weetabix this morning. Not sure if it's a typo but BOT ?

Nettleman wrote: »

That's what work laptop, scanner and phone is for. Don't tell the tax man though, he is paying for my free phone as well as work!

i'd say you're a fair bit older than me?

Are you near the pension yet whelan?

AP2014 wrote: »
    Are you near the pension yet whelan?
    closer than i was last year:)

• Advertisement

vet was out to a sick bull so made it worth their while and got them blooded. Did you see the pic of the 152 scania at ardee mart? He normally buys a few culls from me
    sorry , not meant at you personally
    #was referring to people who test 1 or 2 finished animals & then sell at a mart below their value , met a 151 C reg coming out of roscrea last week , seen the driver with the long arm in the ring at Kilmallock a few times.. at big sales , same guy wouldn't make you too rich
    Sorry Ormond, I didn't have time for my weetabix this morning. Not sure if it's a typo but BOT ?

Back on Topic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement