Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

4.03 flat for over and underage o&p bullocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

simx wrote: »

That is equivlent to a base of 4.25/kg.

That is equivlent to a base of 4.25/kg.

4.13 two weeks ago :( ..... They weren't fit then so not point talking about it, may go to make room for heifers now

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

4.10 bullocks

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

That was a good price.had you many o grades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

What does flat mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Muckit wrote: »
    What does flat mean?

I think it means that all the animals in the batch get the same price no matter how they grade.
    If they were getting paid on the grid they would get a base price and the price paid for each animal would vary depending on how they graded and killed out.
    Only QA animals under 30 months can go on the grid (I think).

What does flat mean?
    tanko wrote: »
    I think it means that all the animals in the batch get the same price no matter how they grade.
    If they were getting paid on the grid they would get a base price and the price paid for each animal would vary depending on how they graded and killed out.
    Only QA animals under 30 months can go on the grid (I think).

All animals can go on the grid but then there are penelty's or bonus's applied. ON grid itself bonus's are paid from FS 2+ to 4+ and from O= to U+ on cattle under 30 months. At present Processors have given an undertaking not to impose penelty off the base on cattle between 30-36 months and not to impose weight limits on bonus's. After that the processors can vary which ever way they like.

In general they will often impose a age variation penelty on cattle over 36 months previously it was on cattle over 30 months. During the glut they hit cattle over 400Kg DW. I have also seen them hit P= cattle with a 50c/kg penelty over and above normal grid. TBH id they decided they wanted to penalise red cattle if they was a glut there is nothing stopping them. At one stage last year they tried to put a penelty on Friesians of 10c/kg so that a two bullocks grading exactly the same and the same age would attract different prices.

As Muckit earlier I cannot see the 30 month limit going it is a stick to beat us down the line. Everything is hunky dory now, Eddie got a write up in the rag about tackling Larry about recent price fall at Tullamore show. The artice is ludicrous.

When thing get tough in 2017 again we will see the top brass going down to county meeting. The local Chairman announcing that Tom, Mick or Pat is coming. He will not be there at the start of the meeting. No after it is on about 10 minutes he will arrive in with his Labtop bag and his suit on. He will appoligise for being late aws at a meeting in Dublin and had laid into Larry and the boys.

He will then proceed to take off his suit Jacket and roll up his sleeves so the lads understand/think he is one of them. Hec will give the sppech ''there will be days for Elephants again'', ''the suckler man will have his day again'', ''they have taken on the minister and his officals'' ''there will be a few trolly campaigns'' blah,blah,blah, ''no point going to the competition authority'' after a point question from the County Chairman.

After that the county chairman will have arranged for some tea and sandwidges so that the troops can take to Tom, mick or Pat. He will wolf doqwn a few sandwidges, as he tells how the meeting in Dublin went on until after 5pm and he left straight away after, ''Traffic was sh!te'' blah blah blah.

Everbody will think what agreat man he is especially as he faces a 100 mile journey home, he had to detour 120 mile to get to this meeting, as he walks out the door he is thinking of the next milage check.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Post of the day Pudsey^ sounds like you were at a few of these meetings yourself, I still think they should re-name that organisation to IDFA (I do fcuk all).

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    That was a good price.had you many o grades

agent told me yesterday whst was to be got this week is all, ringing him tomorrow for next weeks price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Thanks. Puds comment is confusing me. How is 4.03 flat the equivalent of 4.25 on the grid? Would p's be cut is that it?

Thanks. Puds comment is confusing me. How is 4.03 flat the equivalent of 4.25 on the grid? Would p's be cut is that it?

You lose 12c/kg from R to O+, 6c/kg each division the at O+, O- and P. So you lose 24/kg off the base for O- and 30c/kg for P. If you have a few O= and they are under 30 months with bonus they are back to within 6c/kg of the base.

So yes 4.03 flat for Friesians is 20-27c/kg from the base in general. Flaking price IMO. However from what I hear we will see as good and better in the short to medium term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

How big a load would you need to get flat price and could you get the flat price for a full load of fr with 50% p's ,i presume they would have to grade at least fat score 3

cute geoge wrote: »
    How big a load would you need to get flat price and could you get the flat price for a full load of fr with 50% p's ,i presume they would have to grade at least fat score 3
    I only have 6 to go next week, about 15 or so following week and few more in September, even if load was 70% ps flat price is got

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Anyone get prices for steers or heifers for next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

What factory?

Dunedin wrote: »

I am afraid stock is back again next week.

I wonder when prices are starting to rise will you be first with the news as well. I heard that factory's found it hard to get cattle towards the end of week. They seem to want the kill at 29-30k/week. It will be interesting to see what will happen as cattle start to slow. Hard to see how they will keep this number going if CMS numbers are right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

I wonder when prices are starting to rise will you be first with the news as well. I heard that factory's found it hard to get cattle towards the end of week. They seem to want the kill at 29-30k/week. It will be interesting to see what will happen as cattle start to slow. Hard to see how they will keep this number going if CMS numbers are right

Factories trying to drop the price while agents have placed big box ads looking for stock in the examiner this Saturday and last.
    someone's bluffing......

Factories trying to drop the price while agents have placed big box ads looking for stock in the examiner this Saturday and last.
    someone's bluffing......

If you look at the numbers it may be a lot worse for processors than they think. We have killed 40K more steers, the same Number of heifers as last year. The young bull kill is downs 40K that accounts for extra steers. However Cow kill is back 25K and still 1K/week below last year. Lat autumn a lot of young 20-22 month cattle were slaughtered. To keep the kill within 10OK of last year they need to up the cow kill and still kill as many young cattle as last year.

I think numbers are going to fall off a cliff at some stage this Autunm. Kill may drop to 25K/week then ''there will be blood'' and weeping and nashing of teeth

• Advertisement

Willfarman wrote: »
    What factory?

Pm sent ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Are you a census compiler?

I said wrote: »
    Are you a census compiler?

Listen 👂 boys and girls you don't have to believe me.ps it affects me also
    But if your cattle are fit always SELL

I think Monday mornings quote may well be 4.00. Though Monday's kill is at 4.10 as far as I know. Bringing a bit of reality to the mart trade alls same. No harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

Dunedin wrote: »

Local factory on 4.05 for bks next week but going killing 4 days instead of 3.
    They obviously want them.

P cows 3.60
    O cows 3.65
    Bullocks 4.05 on grid
    Waiting on flat price, won't know that till next week

P cows 3.60
    O cows 3.65
    Bullocks 4.05 on grid
    Waiting on flat price, won't know that till next week

That's a good price for p grading cows
    What price is overage bullocks ?

That's a good price for p grading cows
    What price is overage bullocks ?

I meant overage p grading bullocks

I meant overage p grading bullocks

Somewhere around the 3.80 mark. The difference between in price between the poor grading prime beef carcass and the cow beef carcass is humble.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Willfarman wrote: »
    I think Monday mornings quote may well be 4.00. Though Monday's kill is at 4.10 as far as I know. Bringing a bit of reality to the mart trade alls same. No harm.

I think that's the only reason for the price drop;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

blue5000 wrote: »

Feed lots to fill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

blue5000 wrote: »

Don't worry, I'm sure the competition authority will be in straight away to investigate why all the different processors have dropped their prices by the same amount at the same time.

tanko wrote: »
    Don't worry, I'm sure the competition authority will be in straight away to investigate why all the different processors have dropped their prices by the same amount at the same time.

Yea you all know who are complaining to the CA already about it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭50HX

bit out of touch with prices at the moment

what would ye think that a CHx cow easily 750kg with 2month old twin heifer calves at foot make at the mart

i'm thinking ~2k for the 3 of them
    cow would make ~1200 and say 400 a piece for the 2 calves

am i way out on the prices???

should i factory the cow myself and let the calves off to the mart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Probably worth a touch more. What age is the cow?

• Advertisement

Probably worth a touch more. What age is the cow?

cow is 13 - bless her - brings a serious calf every year but time for the road;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Got quoted 5c over base today cattle are scarce

I said wrote: »
    Got quoted 5c over base today cattle are scarce

What was the base?

50HX wrote: »

what would ye think that a CHx cow easily 750kg with 2month old twin heifer calves at foot make at the mart

Do not know what the calves are worth. it may be wort while splitting them. Saw cows that weight making 1350+ last week. These could have been killed or were capable of further feeding as well. Cows may only have been 10 or 11 years old

as a unit 2200/2300

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies

split them and ended up bringing the calves home - wrong day to sell them

cow @800kg made 1360 - happy with that

thanks for the replies

What were you getting for calves?

twin heifers- 550 for the 2

to be fair one of them is v average but the other is in good shape for 3mnths- i'll stick both of em on nuts now and let em off on aftergrass with the other weanlings in a week or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

thanks for the replies

Jaysus. I'm very glad I factoried my one!

Kovu wrote: »

Orange ch cow in Kk well fleshed still only an R grade 820kg €1720

Orange ch cow in Kk well fleshed still only an R grade 820kg €1720

Will ya whist with your sensible comments! :D

Kovu wrote: »

well done.....what weight and price did you get??

well done.....what weight and price did you get??

She KO'd at 400. Seriously underestimated her weight. Price was 3.9. But she was sucking a calf to two weeks before.

Them good contenintal cow lots of lads fail to realize there ability to put on Flesh and weight. THey will kill a bit over 50% alot of the time compared to Fresians that will only kill 45%. Processors compete for them giving prices that are comparable to younger stock prices especially if you have a few. Alot will grade U as well if well finished.

One lads tells me he slaughters cows at 10 years of age regardless. His thinking on it is that if a cow is to go wrong it will be the first two times she calves and after 10 years of age. He culls anything that gioves an issue in the first two calvings. This gives him a culling rate of about 20% . The way he looks at it all these cows come into about 25% more than a finished heifer.

€4 flat o&p bullocks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement