Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Under or over age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

epfff wrote: »
    Under or over age

All overage

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Them good contenintal cow lots of lads fail to realize there ability to put on Flesh and weight. THey will kill a bit over 50% alot of the time compared to Fresians that will only kill 45%. Processors compete for them giving prices that are comparable to younger stock prices especially if you have a few. Alot will grade U as well if well finished.

One lads tells me he slaughters cows at 10 years of age regardless. His thinking on it is that if a cow is to go wrong it will be the first two times she calves and after 10 years of age. He culls anything that gioves an issue in the first two calvings. This gives him a culling rate of about 20% . The way he looks at it all these cows come into about 25% more than a finished heifer.
    That's a good policy there. Lot better than taking a chance and having to pay to send to knackery. If lads sat down for half an hour and analyzed what went to the knackery in a year they'd be a lot wiser.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I see the indivdual that that designed the grid system want to change the pricing structure again.

Won it just cheapen the greater majority of prime beef carcasses for the processers given than the far greater percentage of prime cattle grade o- or worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Willfarman wrote: »
    I see the indivdual that that designed the grid system want to change the pricing structure again.

Won it just cheapen the greater majority of prime beef carcasses for the processers given than the far greater percentage of prime cattle grade o- or worse?

Was looking at that too,would it not level up the playing field for the suckler man producing quality weanlings & stores as price difference at the minute doesnt justify costs.Or will the factories just be more inclined to source the cheaper cattle rather than the U's ?

The grading machines should be consistent and calibrated independently to the abattoirs
    first and foremost!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The grading machines should be consistent and calibrated independently to the abattoirs
    first and foremost!
    + 1 and a pet hate of mine.
    I cannot understand why NSAI (National Standards Authority) an approved body, are not responsible for the authenticity and accuracy of meat factory grading machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Beef back next week.but be a strong seller/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    Beef back next week.but be a strong seller/
    have you EVER posted a positive post

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    have you EVER posted a positive post

Do you want the Truth or Lies? You tell me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Do you want the Truth or Lies? You tell me

Are you sure your not one of Larrys minnons??

Are you sure your not one of Larrys minnons??

Are you sure your not a ostrich.head in sand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

3.95 forR /U grade cows for this week quote started at 3.70 but no way would pay 4.00

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Any quotes for underage steers from Kepak?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

€4 on the grid over/underage steers Slaney meats

• Advertisement

ellewood wrote: »
    3.95 forR /U grade cows for this week quote started at 3.70 but no way would pay 4.00

That's a great price.where was that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

What would bbx heifers out of dairy cows kill out at? Say they way 630 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

What would bbx heifers out of dairy cows kill out at? Say they way 630 mark.

It woul depend on level of finish and quality. They could grade from O+ to R+. Do not deal in heifers in general but I imagine they could from 310-340kgs.

That's a great price.where was that.

Dawn
    Those prices were available last week too according to the dept price app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

anyone know what a CH bull over 36 months is worth? send to factory or mart??

thanks,

• Advertisement

anyone know what a CH bull over 36 months is worth? send to factory or mart??
    65-700 kg
    thanks,

Dawn
    Those prices were available last week too according to the dept price app

How many are you killing

2, have a blind lad about 24 months too.

How many are you killing

2 this week ðŸ˜

yep

I can see why price is not too bad just dropped off me 2 cows and the place was fairly bare of cattle was down last week and could barley get a pen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I can see why price is not too bad just dropped off me 2 cows and the place was fairly bare of cattle was down last week and could barley get a pen

They're dropping the price to get more cattle... hoping for panic selling.

Cows are still Ok it is prime young beef they are dropping the price on. P/O grade bullocks are littlr better than similar grading cows as they have no QA

Lads that accepted that just because the processors said that prices are dropping and ran in with cattle have done themselves and the trade a disservice. We are killing no more now/week than in July/Aug when the price was 20-25c/kg better, If anything cattle are tighter. It will be interesting to see how long the processors can keep the panic in place.

Lads that presumed a low factory price would collapse the price of store fail to remember last year. Store remained relatively strong while we got a poor processor price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Stores are hard got this year less numbers at marts prices are holding for stores.
    There is no justification for dropping factory prices at the mo only to stick more money in there arse pocket at our expense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

I said wrote: »
    Stores are hard got this year less numbers at marts prices are holding for stores.
    There is no justification for dropping factory prices at the mo only to stick more money in there arse pocket at our expense

Looks good for stores at the moment. Hopefully holds until year end.

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/cattle-marts-improved-trade-with-tullamore-cattle-up-e50-60head/

• Advertisement

The lads that were running around with the bad news a few weeks ago have done a disservice to those finishing cattle. Those of us that finish have a responsibility to extract the maximum out of the market rather than looking to cheap store's as the answer. British prices are over 1/kg ( and maybe 1.3/kg) ahead of Irish prices. Over 50% of our beef goes there at present with cattle numbers in the country we should be looking at a base over 4.5/kg rather than talking it down to 4/kg.

Agents are looking for cattle and are slow to let them behind them. IMO there will be very little cattle bought at 4/kg this week. The way to go with plain cattle is to flat price them.

Fianna Fáil used to accuse the realists of bringing down the economy by talking it down!

Facts are facts.

Fianna Fáil used to accuse the realists of bringing down the economy by talking it down!

Facts are facts.

Facts are facts as well that it always happens the same way. Local agent rings a few regular finishers. Price down next week. Lads dump in there cattle then spread the word. It a form of insider trading that is illegal in any other trading sector.

At the same time all processors pull prices by 5, 10c/kg or what ever they decide. The simple fact is it would not be as easy to organize with out the willing accomplices. This year with the way cattle numbers are structured it should not have happened and would not without the processors being organized and the willing accomplices hoping to collapse the store price. The answer to finishers margins has always been too expensive stores.

So we have three sets of characters, processors, there agents and a cabal of finishers who collude to collapse the markets. The weekly kill is no higher than July when the price was 4.25/kg. So why are we taking less collusion.

The facts have nothing to do with Fianna Fail or realists it has to do with collusion between cabal trying to control the market. At present agents are running around trying to mop up last of the cheap cattle, killing them withing 1-2 days of doing the deal trying to get to the weekend to get a breather of a few days. The talk already is that prices will strengthen in late September this is a far cry from mid/late November.

Maybe if some of those lads could add 2+2 they have seen the kill could not be maintained and there was no glut to rise the weekly kill. We are heading for 3K behind last years kill. Processors are struggling to maintain a 29K/week kill which they seem to need to fill contracts.

So lets not be trying to equate Fianna Fail and realists with what really happens to be collusion by this cabal. In another time they were referred to as Gombeen Men

The processers are a shower of fuppers yes they are. But as you know, when the price gets a pull they all pull together. Larry ensures the smaller processers pull in unison or he goes after their contracts.

It's well above the agents. The week and the price doesn't matter a fup to them. Commission stays the same. And that's all they they ever chase.

And I hasten to add that you don't have to go back many pages on this to see that you have no qualms about buying stores below their value. Mind yo don't fall from yor high horse.

Facts are facts as well that it always happens the same way. Local agent rings a few regular finishers. Price down next week. Lads dump in there cattle then spread the word. It a form of insider trading that is illegal in any other trading sector.

At the same time all processors pull prices by 5, 10c/kg or what ever they decide. The simple fact is it would not be as easy to organize with out the willing accomplices. This year with the way cattle numbers are structured it should not have happened and would not without the processors being organized and the willing accomplices hoping to collapse the store price. The answer to finishers margins has always been too expensive stores.

So we have three sets of characters, processors, there agents and a cabal of finishers who collude to collapse the markets. The weekly kill is no higher than July when the price was 4.25/kg. So why are we taking less collusion.

The facts have nothing to do with Fianna Fail or realists it has to do with collusion between cabal trying to control the market. At present agents are running around trying to mop up last of the cheap cattle, killing them withing 1-2 days of doing the deal trying to get to the weekend to get a breather of a few days. The talk already is that prices will strengthen in late September this is a far cry from mid/late November.

Maybe if some of those lads could add 2+2 they have seen the kill could not be maintained and there was no glut to rise the weekly kill. We are heading for 3K behind last years kill. Processors are struggling to maintain a 29K/week kill which they seem to need to fill contracts.

So lets not be trying to equate Fianna Fail and realists with what really happens to be collusion by this cabal. In another time they were referred to as Gombeen Men
    We export 90 % of our beef.the world consumption of beef is going Down.Fact is Fact.

The processers are a shower of fuppers yes they are. But as you know, when the price gets a pull they all pull together. Larry ensures the smaller processers pull in unison or he goes after their contracts.

It's well above the agents. The week and the price doesn't matter a fup to them. Commission stays the same. And that's all they they ever chase.

And I hasten to add that you don't have to go back many pages on this to see that you have no qualms about buying stores below their value. Mind yo don't fall from yor high horse.

Yes it is well above the agents it starts but they make sure it works on the ground. In any average week it hard to get a price for next week until Friday 4pm, but when the pull starts it announced the week before.

If you look what I said about that Jex and the Fr bulls were not wanted early summer last year. We all know that the lads around the ring allows the lad that calls every few weeks to buy ceap cattle. I wonder what those bulls would have made if I had not been there. I knew they were value at the time but would have gone further on them if pushed. Owner could have taken them home and squeezed them and bought to the mart in 6-9 weeks time.

There are risks associated to squeezing heavier bulls. Some will not squeeze right (cord too strong), banding not an option until October due to maggots.

We export 90 % of our beef.the world consumption of beef is going Down.Fact is Fact.

Yes 90% is exported but over 50% is to one of the highest beef price markets in the world. Beef consumption/head world wide is falling however overall beef consumption is rising due to more demand from China in particular. Facts.

If you hadn't been there someone else would have robbed him as opposed to you Pudsey!

Lads ye are going around in circles here. Puds is right. Cas and Willf ye are also right. Puds is putting accross that processors are a fecking cartel which they are and that if right was right there would have been no pull a few weeks ago as numbers did not go up significantly. Two other lads are saying that this has been the way it has been and will be unless something is done about it and ye are stating that Puds is cracked to think any differently. Now can anyone come up with a solution to the problem instead of squabbling over different angles of the same argument. As for getting cattle at good value???? Thats good business and if every farmer thought like that in the ring and went after animals on weight and frame instead of whats on their card it might rise the price of any well framed animal no matter what colour or breed he/she is. I agree that the household demand for beef is falling a bit but world population is still rising so that should even things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Yeah, an agent rang me out of the blue yesterday just to let me know that if I'd cattle near ready that the price would be below € 4 next week so now was the time to go.

Now, while it was awfully nice of him to think of me I can't help but believe that it was a bit of an orchestrated shake-dowm.

• Advertisement

tatoo wrote: »
    Yeah, an agent rang me out of the blue yesterday just to let me know that if I'd cattle near ready that the price would be below € 4 next week so now was the time to go.

Now, while it was awfully nice of him to think of me I can't help but believe that it was a bit of an orchestrated shake-dowm.

Was his surname Cassidy:P

Was his surname Cassidy:P

Now thats comedy!!!!!! But possibly true.

Now thats comedy!!!!!! But possibly true.

Is that the best you can cum up with.The truth is a killer.If the weather doesn't take up it will be back next week no matter what theories you cum up with

What price do lads here reckon they will be October/November? Will they go back up to 4.40 or continue to hover around 4 like now?

AP2014 wrote: »
    What price do lads here reckon they will be October/November? Will they go back up to 4.40 or continue to hover around 4 like now?

Ask Cassidy sure he has inside track

Ask Cassidy sure he has inside track

3.40 it is so!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Just on met.ie very good forcast for next week. Heres to an indian summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

restive wrote: »
    Just on met.ie very good forcast for next week. Heres to an indian summer.

Pop in and out here as I keep a few cattle as well the cows .cassidy you to me are a factory agent or have some deep connection with the factories or maby your Larry !!!!,apologies if your none of the afore mentioned .pudsey has been posting here a long time and to me is the shrewdest cattle man here as well as been a realist and having a good knowledge of how the factories work .olan as day to see at moment cattle are scarce and will be for next good few months .they will weed out soft sellers to keep things ticking over but this can only last so long .from what I gather it's been a while since the 30 k per week kill has been achieved .cattle men countrywide need to grow a pair and start screwing the factories over for a change instead of the other way around .hold tough play hardball and don't sell cheap cattle

I think this the rules of this thread should dictate that any quote should name the factory and the day. Misinformation and this hardened selling bull**** is of no use.
    4.00 is buying all local steers today and this week in slaney ,Liffey meats Hacketstown.

Cassidy has been completely correct and truthful in every post so far and so I will brown nose him instead of some of the waffling commentators here given the choice!

I think this the rules of this thread should dictate that any quote should name the factory and the day. Misinformation and this hardened selling bull**** is of no use.
    4.00 is buying all local steers today and this week in slaney ,Liffey meats Hacketstown.

Cassidy has been completely correct and truthful in every post so far and so I will brown nose him instead of some of the waffling commentators here given the choice!

I am very shocked at how much they have pulled the beef and cattle supposed to be scarce?.but don't be a soft seller and keep feeding and take a lesser price? That sounds like a good idea to me💵.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

I am very shocked at how much they have pulled the beef and cattle supposed to be scarce?.but don't be a soft seller and keep feeding and take a lesser price? That sounds like a good idea to me💵.

The hard sellers that didn't take 4.30 must be pretty chuffed with themselves now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement