Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Willfarman wrote: »
    I think this the rules of this thread should dictate that any quote should name the factory and the day. Misinformation and this hardened selling bull**** is of no use.
    4.00 is buying all local steers today and this week in slaney ,Liffey meats Hacketstown.

Cassidy has been completely correct and truthful in every post so far and so I will brown nose him instead of some of the waffling commentators here given the choice!

In general I would prefer not to declare where I get prices etc as I value my anonymity. Nobody is disagreeing that a lot cattle are moving at a base of 4-4.1/kg however agents are actively searching for cattle at present. Kill is stagnant at 29K and it is unlikely we will exceed 30K in next 2-3 weeks. They are mopping up March/April '13 cattle. However these will not last long. Some cattle are tied up by DA retention perion of 7 months. April bought cattle cannot be sold until November this ties up both 2013/14 cattle. It is nothing about soft selling or anything else I will repeat unless the CMS figures are wrong there are 50-80K less cattle to be killed between here and Christmass.

Now either the CMS is wrong or Larry the Magician goes Hocus Pocus and conjures up a few double's of HE bullocks or else the cattle kill will really tighten from the End of September on. It obivious from marts that lads around the ring believe it as well. One thing I noticed Monday in the mart was the absence of 2013 Fresians weighing 550+kgs. Usually there is a good few around this time of year. However I only saw one lot last Monday.

Called an agent this week just to test the market refused 3.95/kg for 10 Friesians. 4 were under age at a guess there wass 2ishP+'s, 4O- and 4O=, one might make O+. Maybe I am wrong but the calculator tells me the kill will have to nosedive. The good thing is the longer the kill stays up at 29K the sharper the nosedive. I hope it will be as steep as the dive of a Japanese Kamikaze pilot as they were heading for the deck of an US aircraft carrier .

The great thing about Friesians is they carry, carry, carry
    Cassidy2 wrote: »
    I am very shocked at how much they have pulled the beef and cattle supposed to be scarce?.but don't be a soft seller and keep feeding and take a lesser price? That sounds like a good idea to me💵.

You only take a lesser price if you sell. It is nothing about soft or hard selling it about profit. Good bullocks on good grass and 2-3kg of ration are putting on 0.6-0.8 kgs of flesh/day and that is Friesians. It costs me about 1.25 euro/day that is allowing over 70c/day for grass. Why sell and try to replace with stores that are costing 2/kg LW at present. When the base goes to 4.3/kg and it will and flat good friesians will make 4.2+/kg those type of cattle will make 90 more in the price rise and the bones of 150 more in weight that they put up in 8 weeks.

And we all konw that they will quote 3.95 next week, like we know that P cows are making 3.5/kg

Hershall wrote: »
    The hard sellers that didn't take 4.30 must be pretty chuffed with themselves now.

It will be back sooner than you think was not available locally only for 2-3 day on last week before pull. 4.25 was best quote locally Mind you lots of lads that sold at 4.15 and 4.1 are sad around the ring trying to replace cattle.......and it may well get a lot worse for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

If you can't name the factory and the day the quote has no credibility.

I wouldn't give 2 eur a day for friesians but good continental 400 kg plus cattle at 2.40 a kg will work fine.

Big friesians eat a lot of grass and were worth more a month minus a months thrive ago no matter what way you kept them. There will be no significant rise until mid October. I would prefer to have 3 stores in the place of 2 of them and putting up .9 of a kg per head per day with no meal..

Profit per hectare not per head remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

In spring 2013 (30ish ) months ago there was queues outside the knackeries as 20 percent more cattle died than normal.

This has to help price.

Im not saying to hold if you have cattle fit or need money but i wouldnt panic sell either

The friendly agent that rings to say cattle are falling next week could have his own cattle sold since last week at a better price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I'll change the subject slightly here. What weight gain could one expect from 650kg steers this time of the year and for the next two months assuming weather improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

mf240 wrote: »
    In spring 2013 (30ish ) months ago there was queues outside the knackeries as 20 percent more cattle died than normal.

This has to help price.

Could happen again next spring with the amount of ****e silage that was made on bad land. There's still some around here that have yet to do their first cut.

:D:DWillfarmer and pudsey.

Thats nothing, my dad can get 8 apples for 49cents in aldi:D:D

4.30/4.35. It will be hard to get much higher as they are reluctant with HE to really push the boat out as you get the HE bonus that brings up the price. He should make sure he will not get an age variation deduction on the CHX that is over 30 months. Local factory will hit you with a 20c/kg hit on such cattle unless you make sure it dose not apply. A 20c/kg hit on him would be equivlent 5c/kg on the HE combined and the FR as well and maybe more.

No point in getting a fancy base if you allow them to hit waht is likely the heavyist bullock there.

Quote Pudsey 23 07 15. Memory like Bertie's!

It won't happen until mid November at the earliest.
    If you can't name the factory and the day the quote has no credibility.

I wouldn't give 2 eur a day for friesians but good continental 400 kg plus cattle at 2.40 a kg will work fine.

Big friesians eat a lot of grass and were worth more a month minus a months thrive ago no matter what way you kept them. There will be no significant rise until mid October. I would prefer to have 3 stores in the place of 2 of them and putting up .9 of a kg per head per day with no meal..

Profit per hectare not per head remember.

A month in 10ish days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Lads. Will ye hold on 'til I get a beer :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Is there any issues getting cattle with horns killed in factory

I got an angle grinder in aldi for 25 squid on Sunday and the apples and pears!

I got an angle grinder in aldi for 25 squid on Sunday and the apples and pears!

Would ya not peel them with a knife!!!

adne wrote: »
    Is there any issues getting cattle with horns killed in factory

No not an issue.

mf240 wrote: »
    Would ya not peel them with a knife!!!

:D Jesus I tried to pass but I hadn't the strength. Picked it up, put it down, walked away and it was calling me..

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

In general I would prefer not to declare where I get prices etc as I value my anonymity. Nobody is disagreeing that a lot cattle are moving at a base of 4-4.1/kg however agents are actively searching for cattle at present. Kill is stagnant at 29K and it is unlikely we will exceed 30K in next 2-3 weeks. They are mopping up March/April '13 cattle. However these will not last long. Some cattle are tied up by DA retention perion of 7 months. April bought cattle cannot be sold until November this ties up both 2013/14 cattle. It is nothing about soft selling or anything else I will repeat unless the CMS figures are wrong there are 50-80K less cattle to be killed between here and Christmass.

Now either the CMS is wrong or Larry the Magician goes Hocus Pocus and conjures up a few double's of HE bullocks or else the cattle kill will really tighten from the End of September on. It obivious from marts that lads around the ring believe it as well. One thing I noticed Monday in the mart was the absence of 2013 Fresians weighing 550+kgs. Usually there is a good few around this time of year. However I only saw one lot last Monday.

Called an agent this week just to test the market refused 3.95/kg for 10 Friesians. 4 were under age at a guess there wass 2ishP+'s, 4O- and 4O=, one might make O+. Maybe I am wrong but the calculator tells me the kill will have to nosedive. The good thing is the longer the kill stays up at 29K the sharper the nosedive. I hope it will be as steep as the dive of a Japanese Kamikaze pilot as they were heading for the deck of an US aircraft carrier .

The great thing about Friesians is they carry, carry, carry

You only take a lesser price if you sell. It is nothing about soft or hard selling it about profit. Good bullocks on good grass and 2-3kg of ration are putting on 0.6-0.8 kgs of flesh/day and that is Friesians. It costs me about 1.25 euro/day that is allowing over 70c/day for grass. Why sell and try to replace with stores that are costing 2/kg LW at present. When the base goes to 4.3/kg and it will and flat good friesians will make 4.2+/kg those type of cattle will make 90 more in the price rise and the bones of 150 more in weight that they put up in 8 weeks.

And we all konw that they will quote 3.95 next week, like we know that P cows are making 3.5/kg

You sell because your pocket is ready and the cattle.that is some spiel of sh1t

:D Jesus I tried to pass but I hadn't the strength. Picked it up, put it down, walked away and it was calling me..

A yiu were right to get it . It might be dearer next week:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Hershall

It will be back sooner than you think was not available locally only for 2-3 day on last week before pull. 4.25 was best quote locally Mind you lots of lads that sold at 4.15 and 4.1 are sad around the ring trying to replace cattle.......and it may well get a lot worse for them.

You're right stores are too dear and probably going to get dearer but it's beyond me why lads can't sell when factories want them yet fire them at them a few weeks later.I sold some at 4.25 and some at 4.05. Stores are costing 150 more than last year don't see much joy in them.

You sell because your pocket is ready and the cattle.that is some spiel of sh1t

You see Cassidy you and Willfarmer run a different system to me and lots of lads here that are part time farmers. I cannot be in the mart every day to pick up cattle. My system revolves around maximizing profit from what I bought last autumn and buying the best value store I can this autumn. Previously I used to mix buying weanling's and year and a half stores but I have now moved to buying stores only.

Just because my system is different to your is not to mean that it is a spiel of sh!te. Lads that breed there own cattle also work on much the same system by maximizing value of the animals they sell.Lads that spend there time ar5eing around a ring do not like this system or these lads. When is an animal ready for slaughter,2+, 3-, 3+ 4=. In my case it is when he maximise's my profit and i have access to value stores neither of which I think is present at the moment. So my pocket can wait.

• Advertisement

You see Cassidy you and Willfarmer run a different system to me and lots of lads here that are part time farmers. I cannot be in the mart every day to pick up cattle. My system revolves around maximizing profit from what I bought last autumn and buying the best value store I can this autumn. Previously I used to mix buying weanling's and year and a half stores but I have now moved to buying stores only.

Just because my system is different to your is not to mean that it is a spiel of sh!te. Lads that breed there own cattle also work on much the same system by maximizing value of the animals they sell.Lads that spend there time ar5eing around a ring do not like this system or these lads. When is an animal ready for slaughter,2+, 3-, 3+ 4=. In my case it is when he maximise's my profit and i have access to value stores neither of which I think is present at the moment. So my pocket can wait.
    You are farming with money not for money.Goodnight

Hershall wrote: »
    You're right stores are too dear and probably going to get dearer but it's beyond me why lads can't sell when factories want them yet fire them at them a few weeks later.I sold some at 4.25 and some at 4.05. Stores are costing 150 more than last year don't see much joy in them.

If ever lad sold them when the factory want them we would have no variation in price. you also have to have cattle fit. different cattle have different variables. Fancy cattle like Ch and LM are usually best sold before 30 months to get 12ckg bonus. Some years weight will be an issue but not this year. However there is no point in selling cattle at the bottom or near the bottom of the market

Friesians have a system of there own. Selling too early means you lose out on weight and grade. A 330kg Dw Fr may only grade P= 3- the same animal killed 10 weeks later may grade O= 4- at 365kgs. You may have put 40 euro worth of ration into him but on a like for like price there is a 180 euro difference.

Next year at this stage I expect to have a lot of my cattle sold at this stage and no store bought before Feb/March'17. However this year the rhino had yet to take off IMO, store and finished cattle have a bit of a way to go yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Ah real "nothing" statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Goodnight Larry

No I am farming to make money not to turn money. My costs are kept in check no fancy landcruiser to run, no expensive tractor did not get my farm from daddy and mommy and I have not gone broke yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

No I am farming to make money not to turn money. My costs are kept in check no fancy landcruiser to run, no expensive tractor did not get my farm from daddy and mommy and I have not gone broke yet.

This is what it's all about! Not to keep meat processors and others in money because you have large grants and can afford to sell at a loss.

• Advertisement

So where were you quoted 3.95 for 10 unviewed mixed friesian cattle on Monday? I could of assembled a double from here at that.

So where were you quoted 3.95 for 10 unviewed mixed friesian cattle on Monday? I could of assembled a double from here at that.

I did not say he did not view then, he come to look and picked them out of a bunch of 20. He quoted a price and came to 3.95. I have enough hassle without lads knowing I am FP.

There has been a good few lad posted here in the years since I started and have left over hassle with there anonymity.

I did not say he did not view then, he come to look and picked them out of a bunch of 20. He quoted a price and came to 3.95. I have enough hassle without lads knowing I am FP.

There has been a good few lad posted here in the years since I started and have left over hassle with there anonymity.

Pm it so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Ah real "nothing" statement.

All that we ever get out of that lad is hot air and bad prices. Whats your system so cassidy? What sort of cattle do ya finish? Who are you to knock any mans way of living? what's was the point sending underage under fleshed cattle a month ago getting a fancy base and screwed with penalties? you can send any good top continental to factory from 24 mts off grass and get the base plus a good grid with no penalty. Even a well fleshed 30mt old fr struggles at times to suit the grid. The older these type cattle are more they will flesh and weigh and the more they suit the grid. The man has a theory that prices will rise as cattle get scarce he is taking a chance on that and fair play. He will have heavy cattle fit for slaughter by then. If he sold a month ago what fr stores at value to be got to eat the grass now? Panic buying to eat grass doesn't leave money in anyone's pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Another thing worth considering this year and more so next year, are the number of Dairy born calves that will come into the system.
    AS you know all these Dairy guys like to calve down in a glut a few weeks before the grass is ready. Let's say the 1st of march. So that's the 1st of September when the 30 month hits.
    That will have the effect of dragging down facftory prices earlier in the year, compared to the years before.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

All that we ever get out of that lad is hot air and bad prices. Whats your system so cassidy? What sort of cattle do ya finish? Who are you to knock any mans way of living? what's was the point sending underage under fleshed cattle a month ago getting a fancy base and screwed with penalties? you can send any good top continental to factory from 24 mts off grass and get the base plus a good grid with no penalty. Even a well fleshed 30mt old fr struggles at times to suit the grid. The older these type cattle are more they will flesh and weigh and the more they suit the grid. The man has a theory that prices will rise as cattle get scarce he is taking a chance on that and fair play. He will have heavy cattle fit for slaughter by then. If he sold a month ago what fr stores at value to be got to eat the grass now? Panic buying to eat grass doesn't leave money in anyone's pocket.

Listen lad's cool the jets
    Everyone's system is different
    I have my point of view
    I have never killed a bullock.there conversion rate is not good enough for Me.

Cassidy never reported bad prices? He reported truthfully.

If this thread is to be any use its reference point for people selling stock then quotes have to realistic and verifiable.

Listen lad's cool the jets
    Everyone's system is different
    I have my point of view
    I have never killed a bullock.there conversion rate is not good enough for Me.

I'm cool out. Everyone's system is different so instead of criticizing others let us in on what yours is. You have your point of view yet you don't finish cattle and you are knocking a man who finishes the hardest to finish animals?

Cassidy never reported bad prices? He reported truthfully.

If this thread is to be any use its reference point for people selling stock then quotes have to realistic and verifiable.

Cassidy indeed never reported bad prices. But came onto this thread with his chest out going on about them in a sneering way almost saying "well look at ye big egjits finishing cattle and ye at the mercy of larry and his tanglers well good enough for ye if ye didn't sell when the price was high" and now he claims that he doesn't finish cattle so who is he to comment on other people's livelihoods when he doesn't finish any cattle himself. If he was at it and knew the fine margin in it he might understand. Yet he comes on here with prices but it's like he is looking at bord bia or fj website and pulling figures from there to post up here. As you said yourself he should be putting up if he is so knowledgeable what factory price came from and if it was straight from the office or an agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dh1985

Cassidy indeed never reported bad prices. But came onto this thread with his chest out going on about them in a sneering way almost saying "well look at ye big egjits finishing cattle and ye at the mercy of larry and his tanglers well good enough for ye if ye didn't sell when the price was high" and now he claims that he doesn't finish cattle so who is he to comment on other people's livelihoods when he doesn't finish any cattle himself. If he was at it and knew the fine margin in it he might understand. Yet he comes on here with prices but it's like he is looking at bord bia or fj website and pulling figures from there to post up here. As you said yourself he should be putting up if he is so knowledgeable what factory price came from and if it was straight from the office or an agent.

He never finished bullocks he said but that doesnt mean he is not finishing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

mahoney_j wrote: »
    .cattle men countrywide need to grow a pair and start screwing the factories over for a change instead of the other way around .hold tough play hardball and don't sell cheap cattle

Easier said than done my. Do ye dairy men hold onto milk when the price hits rock bottom???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

mahoney_j wrote: »
    .cattle men countrywide need to grow a pair and start screwing the factories over for a change instead of the other way around .hold tough play hardball and don't sell cheap cattle

Easier said than done mj.Do ye dairy men hold onto milk when the price hits rock bottom???

Where did I say I didn't finishes cattle.you need to catch a grip of yourself

In a trading system it is the buying that you have control over. Long grass isn't that bad a thing within reason sometimes.
    I sit on my hands for months sometimes. But when cattle hit fat score 3+ on they have to go. I try to get em away under 30 mths aswell.

The price is the price everywhere in my experience. Travelling can get a bit more but they get you in the detail then. Clipping clean cattle and daft Daves monkey in the grading machine. I am essentially a price taker at that end. I have no wish to become a martyr . Hardedended selling is bull****. It's swings and roundabouts. Digging in is for the building site.

I also tell anyone truthfully my price to ensure they at least get the same and don't hold cattle with ill advised bull**** there's more to be had when there isn't.

I and plenty more like me are well on top of my costs and haven't and will not go broke either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I agree that the household demand for beef is falling a bit but world population is still rising so that should even things up.

The world population is growing at an unprecedented level. There will always be good demand for beef. There are many countries who's consumption of beef increases as there economy improves.

• Advertisement

Where did I say I didn't finishes cattle.you need to catch a grip of yourself

What is your system so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

4.20 base for heifers Monday this week and was talking to em this morning and it's 4.10 for next week and will ii book em in for u because there only going down more after that....
    No yer grand said I there a few months from the 30 and are bombing align nicely at little cost - maybe ill get less for them in a month/6 weeks but that's the chance I'll take

ellewood wrote: »
    4.20 base for heifers Monday this week and was talking to em this morning and it's 4.10 for next week and will ii book em in for u because there only going down more after that....
    No yer grand said I there a few months from the 30 and are bombing align nicely at little cost - maybe ill get less for them in a month/6 weeks but that's the chance I'll take

Where was that?

My very helpful friendly Dawn 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

My very helpful friendly Dawn 😆

who were you onto? sb?

simx wrote: »
    who were you onto? sb?

Sb on Monday kc today

Sb on Monday kc today

Did you ring them or did agent get onto you?

Did you ring them or did agent get onto you?

I rang them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Sb on Monday kc today

Don't know kc, Sb is a good man to make a lad panic sell anyway

• Advertisement

What is your system so?

????????????????????????????????????????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement