Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

And would you like to share this information? ;-)

Do you read the post's.read sheep breeder post again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    Do you read the post's.read sheep breeder post again

I did indeedy. I'm just curious to see what sort of calculator your using that is better than the ones the rest of us have.

I did indeedy. I'm just curious to see what sort of calculator your using that is better than the ones the rest of us have.

Where did I say that.I think you need to read the POSTs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I said wrote: »
    Lord I'm converted,the wheel has been reinvented.what is your system that is a one size fits all.
    + 1
    IMO the system was never invented to accommodate an all fits all scenario.

I have seen black cattle die better than charlaois .i see people working the calculator.i work a different calculator.

As above kind sir

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I have seen black cattle die better than charlaois .i see people working the calculator.i work a different calculator.

+1 seen it too, I find it very satisfying seeing cattle killed, especially bulls. Roscrea is a pain in the ar5e though, they really don't want you there at all. Difference in KO between factories is an education in itself.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    +1 seen it too, I find it very satisfying seeing cattle killed, especially bulls. Roscrea is a pain in the ar5e though, they really don't want you there at all. Difference in KO between factories is an education in itself.

How ya reckon that blue? Curious more than anything.

blue5000 wrote: »

What is main difference do ya reckon? And why?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I haven't figured it out yet, trim or scales? Who checks the scales on the line? I've never seen it done.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

What is the thinking on the beef.giving a reasonable week weather wise .mart trade has got stronger.me thinks factories will be slow to move.but I think alot of grass cattle are already killed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

This week will be a test.. 4.00 for cattle booked in last week killed tomorrow and tues. so be interesting to see what the story is after.

Friesian stores were well back in carnew yesterday. But they were the most out of line too.

Willfarman wrote: »
    This week will be a test.. 4.00 for cattle booked in last week killed tomorrow and tues. so be interesting to see what the story is after.

Friesian stores were well back in carnew yesterday. But they were the most out of line too.

Good weanlings are a great trade how can people justified the price they are giving with beef at 4 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

4.05 base for bullocks in kilbeggan tomorrow. Booked in since last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

If we beef finisher's accept a price drop next we we might as well give up. I know some lads think it the time of year BF it, it all about numbers. If we entered May/June this way we be looking at 4.2-4.5/kg WTF is the difference. Most finishing is done on goodish land anyway.

Passed a bunch of FR bullocks grazing away 750-800kgs. If he had split the field a month ago they be really motoring now. He will be able to hold another 5-8 weeks anyway. It like talking to an U16 or minor team now it about growing a pair of b@lls.

For the lads that have a pair it could/will be a great year. The lads that have been working the 70-100 system will not be able to compete around the ring with us.

It has been a great year in the east both for finishers and store producers. I don't know about up the country.

And the 70 to 100 day men will benefit from a rise the same as anyone else with cattle to sell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

4,05 steers sold last week

It has been a great year in the east both for finishers and store producers. I don't know about up the country.

And the 70 to 100 day men will benefit from a rise the same as anyone else with cattle to sell?

There is no reason it should not be a greater year.

Ap2014 will be the winner!

Nothing wrong with that either. Money going into farmers pocket rather than processors pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Again

• Advertisement

Robson99 wrote: »
    Again

If it works why reinvent the wheel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭AP2014

A lot might change again I am selling yet! Had a neighbour look at my stock at the wkd and he was saying crazy prices. I paid a bit more this year and quality not as good as other years, dealer struggled to buy for me but some nice ones all the same. I find cattle not thriving as good as other years. Pissing rain here in the west every bloody 2nd day.

Have plenty of grass so not sure whether to sell October early or mid November. Will see how weather goes.

AP2014 wrote: »
    A lot might change again I am selling yet! Had a neighbour look at my stock at the wkd and he was saying crazy prices. I paid a bit more this year and quality not as good as other years, dealer struggled to buy for me but some nice ones all the same. I find cattle not thriving as good as other years. Pissing rain here in the west every bloody 2nd day.

Have plenty of grass so not sure whether to sell October early or mid November. Will see how weather goes.

You're in the luxurious position of that you can bide your time and are not finishing on a date dictated by factories. A lot of lads have sold stores due to poor ground conditions and poor growth. Id like to be in your shoes when things really tighten up later in the year.

Passed a bunch of FR bullocks grazing away 750-800kgs. If he had split the field a month ago they be really motoring now.

I hate seeing that. Lads have 3 fields open at a time and you can nearly see each field half ate and going into stem/seed in the other half and the cattle just eating either side of their route to either field or to water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I've tightened things up here as far as grazing,temp wire more drinkers I fcuking hate to see good grass walked into the ground.
    Cattle are thriving and all I have to do now is open a gate and the cattle are on fresh grass,easier get them into yard for dosing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

AP2014 wrote: »

Same here AP. Thrive not near as good as other years. No heat or proper growth

Any quotes? I think 3.95 is being quoted. Will the 4.00 line hold???

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

Any quotes? I think 3.95 is being quoted. Will the 4.00 line hold???

Probably try pull it more before it creeps up again. If it's like this now what will it be like the end of next year and 2017?

Probably try pull it more before it creeps up again. If it's like this now what will it be like the end of next year and 2017?

But there is no cartel according to rangler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

But there is no cartel according to rangler & the IFA + CA
    FYP :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

How low with it go.ground conditions around us are terrible.I knew they were going to pull them but I am shocked by the amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭smokey-fitz

But there is no cartel according to rangler

He is right! that's all a myth.. Just coincidence that the price falls and rises the same amount across all the factories at the same time year after year.

He is right! that's all a myth.. Just coincidence that the price falls and rises the same amount across all the factories at the same time year after year.

Twas the same coincidence that the dog used to eat my homework every day going to school.

How low with it go.ground conditions around us are terrible.I knew they were going to pull them but I am shocked by the amount.

Yes Cassidy we know always plenty of negativity. We know you are shocked. However Ground conditions around me are not too bad cattle thriving well pounding on the flesh. Have not heard any prices this week or numbers killed but you would imagine that U 30 month cattle are getting scarce now. Any lad that has any will have only small numbers. If there over 30 months they might as well be 31, 32 or 33 months. 2-3 weeks will see. Weather forecast is good here are a few samples for you.

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Kilkenny/forecasts/latest
    http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Cork/forecasts/latest
    http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Port-Laoise/forecasts/latest
    http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Baile-Atha-Luain/forecasts/latest
    http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Galway/forecasts/latest
    http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Belmullet/forecasts/latest
    http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Tra-Li/forecasts/latest

Galway for the Hurling
    Kerry for the football
    A fine week at the ploughing and a base of 4.3 by the end of the months.:D

I can smell it already

Twas the same coincidence that the dog used to eat my homework every day going to school.

And it was a similar coincidence that no supermarket sued the processors over horse meat in a few burgers. It was the same coincidence that it was supposed to be a Supermarket executive that pointed the processors to the cheap ''beef'' in Poland. It's the same coincidence that there has been no prosecution over the horse meat.

There is so many coincidence it must be a coincidence

Yes Cassidy we know always plenty of negativity. We know you are shocked. However Ground conditions around me are not too bad cattle thriving well pounding on the flesh. Have not heard any prices this week or numbers killed but you would imagine that U 30 month cattle are getting scarce now. Any lad that has any will have only small numbers. If there over 30 months they might as well be 31, 32 or 33 months. 2-3 weeks will see. Weather forecast is good here are a few samples for you.

http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Kilkenny/forecasts/latest
    http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Cork/forecasts/latest
    http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Port-Laoise/forecasts/latest
    http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Baile-Atha-Luain/forecasts/latest
    http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Galway/forecasts/latest
    http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Belmullet/forecasts/latest
    http://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Tra-Li/forecasts/latest

Galway for the Hurling
    Kerry for the football
    A fine week at the ploughing and a base of 4.3 by the end of the months.:D

I can smell it already
    I think its reality.Its has happened?.so your saying it will rise 30 cent by the end of the month.not a hope.Kilkenny to win by 6 points

I think its reality.Its has happened?.so your saying it will rise 30 cent by the end of the month.not a hope.Kilkenny to win by 6 points

I am just showing the opposite to your negativity.

I am just showing the opposite to your negativity.

Its fact's.as much as I don't like it.I don't have my head in the sand

Its fact's.as much as I don't like it.I don't have my head in the sand

Neither do I it numbers and weather now that will decide the matter. If kill starts to drop down to below 28K prices will lift fast. Lads will have confidence holding cattle if price is rising. Kill is rock steady at 29ishk is my understanding heard no numbers for last week yet.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately they never rise as quick as they fall.

I hope 4.00 will hold thereabouts and start to head the right way in a few weeks. It will be mid nov before they are back at the 4.20 mark I think. Weather in the east is good. Soil conditions very good and grass is over the ditches!

Unfortunately they never rise as quick as they fall.

I hope 4.00 will hold thereabouts and start to head the right way in a few weeks. It will be mid nov before they are back at the 4.20 mark I think. Weather in the east is good. Soil conditions very good and grass is over the ditches!

However we have never entered an autumn where the kill will be lower than at any stage during the year.

2011. Cattle were dearer in autumn than the spring. When do you envisage a rise starting and how much?

2011. Cattle were dearer in autumn than the spring. When do you envisage a rise starting and how much?

The out look is for dry weather for next 7-10 days. If this starts to slow the kill( it will have to slow at some sage IMO unless we see a huge number of 2014 born cattle come fit) I cannot see processors being able to control prices by pulling and holding the line.

With anything it is an inexact science it is really about the numbers and the kill going below 28K for 2-3 weeks in a row.

The out look is for dry weather for next 7-10 days. If this starts to slow the kill( it will have to slow at some sage IMO unless we see a huge number of 2014 born cattle come fit) I cannot see processors being able to control prices by pulling and holding the line.

With anything it is an inexact science it is really about the numbers and the kill going below 28K for 2-3 weeks in a row.

If cattle were pulled 5 cent last week to this week. And they go back that 5 cent in 2 weeks time. Is that a rise by definition?

If cattle were pulled 5 cent last week to this week. And they go back that 5 cent in 2 weeks time. Is that a rise by definition?

Not really I have heard two prices locally today both were above quoted base. Both were for small numbers. If numbers drop prices will recover fast. I think a lot of what is going on is trying to drag the base down so that as numbers drop they will have a lower price to give rises from.

However a base of 4.2 on cattle in October is better to me than 4.2 in August or 4.3 in July

• Advertisement

What were they quoted and to go where? Slaney is on 4.00 for today and tomorrow but they were booked in last week. Dead nuts on 3.95 being price theron.

What were they quoted and to go where? Slaney is on 4.00 for today and tomorrow but they were booked in last week. Dead nuts on 3.95 being price theron.

This is similar cattle booked in last week for this week. Killed today. Herefords and AA's bullocks, underage 4.05 of a base.

This is similar cattle booked in last week for this week. Killed today. Herefords and AA's bullocks, underage 4.05 of a base.

Did they have to travel?

Did they have to travel?

No local factory just down the road

I heard of pizzle fizzle tizzle sticks..
    Sure rangler must be right, there's no cartel. There are better quotes always for " hardened sellers".....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement