Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

AP2014 wrote: »
    Jesus christ if the IFA wanted to do anything to help beef farmers they would insist on the scrapping of this bloody 30 month rule and also QA movements. Making it easier for factories to screw lads.

I see the dairy lads have had poor milk cheque for 2 months and are getting 500 million to ease the pain. Have to say that's bloody impressive. Not sure who or what is representing beef men!

It's good to see That's Farming and ICSA voicing a concern that I'd have...... that is using an already under pressure agribudget to pay for purchase and storage of milk powder...... as you say we're selling below cost for a lot longer than two months
    http://www.thatsfarming.com/news/icsa-eu-council-package-beef-sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

What is with the weight restrictions.I had a agent on to me looking stock under 350kg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Uk supermarket contracts perhaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    What is with the weight restrictions.I had a agent on to me looking stock under 350kg.

Under 350?? Are they Angus or Hex as would be harder fo get proper fat score on anything else under that weight. Unless your killing pre 24mts I suppose

I said wrote: »
    €4 offered today cattle are scarce

Puds where are ya. We've reached the bottom of the valley and are starting to climb the mount€4.50 before November everest!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Puds where are ya. We've reached the bottom of the valley and are starting to climb the mount€4.50 before November everest!

Counting up the extra 5c a kilo lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Willfarman wrote: »
    Are you signed into the website? Details theron.

Slaney or kepak?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Slaney or kepak?

You have to be registered with slaney as one of their producers. And then you can log into the website. You can then view details of any cattle you killed in last few years. And you get your 11 euro if cattle grade r or better. 3 to 4= fat score. Under 380 kg.

You have to be registered with slaney as one of their producers. And then you can log into the website. You can then view details of any cattle you killed in last few years. And you get your 11 euro if cattle grade r or better. 3 to 4= fat score. Under 380 kg.

Ah right, its kepak I kill mine in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Apologies if there is no interest in this, but we have produced an App for iPhone on behalf of a client which presents the current and past factory pricing data, and allows the farmer to cross compare on a number of factors, including conformation.

Link is here https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/livestocktool/id962075046?mt=8 if you have an iPhone. It'll be available for Android in the next week or so.

• Advertisement

4.10 for heifers last week.any improvement for next week

Any prices for under 24 month u grade Bulls?

Any prices for under 24 month u grade Bulls?

No but I would think 4.15.maybe more if you had a load

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Pudsey what was that English website that had the straights and you could make up your own ration using it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

Any prices for this week lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Pudsey what was that English website that had the straights and you could make up your own ration using it

Pm sent gg. Inbox full though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mossiemag

Lads

I'm QA approved. I'm not signed up to any Angus schemes.

If i send a few heifers to the factory, is there any special bonus applied to them other than the 12c qa bonus??

thanks in advance for answers

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mossiemag

restive wrote: »
    I have got my receipt back from kepak. It looks like the are paying an additional 10c bonus for carcasses under 400kg. Also one animal did not qualify for the 12c bonus as he killed out R=4+ .

Nice weights!!

What breed were they?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭jd06

adne wrote: »
    Any prices for this week lads?

4.03 bullocks
    3.90 cow
    4.10 heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

What part of the country are you in JD?

• Advertisement

jd06 wrote: »
    4.03 bullocks
    3.90 cow
    4.10 heifers

That for r grade cows?

tatoo wrote: »
    What part of the country are you in JD?

Southeast
    Ballon meats

That for r grade cows?

I think so. Shes an r grade cow anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

mossiemag wrote: »
    Nice weights!!

What breed were they?

Angus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

He hasn't posted in two weeks. I hope he's not gone to. Can u PM me that websight if you get it? Thanks gg

jd06 wrote: »
    4.03 bullocks
    3.90 cow
    4.10 heifers

That's a great price for r grading cow.the young beef is back far more than cow beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

He hasn't posted in two weeks. I hope he's not gone to. Can u PM me that websight if you get it? Thanks gg

He got a right hard time of it there for a while which imo was not warranted.
    everyone is entitled to their view without being shouted down.

He got a right hard time of it there for a while which imo was not warranted.
    everyone is entitled to their view without being shouted down.

Thats for sure. If lads were half as ensightful as Pudsey and not looking to ram their opinions down peoples throats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

My opinion -
    Don't worry about Pud's. He is more of a man than most on this site and has the confidence/know with all to back it up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Was at a beef meeting in Kilkenny yesterday and the farmer holding it said that the suckler farmers are getting crazing money for there stock and it's not the factories fault beef farmers can't make money from cattle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Duke92 wrote: »
    Was at a beef meeting in Kilkenny yesterday and the farmer holding it said that the suckler farmers are getting crazing money for there stock and it's not the factories fault beef farmers can't make money from cattle

Suckler Farmers have this country ruined.:D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Suckler Farmers have this country ruined.:D

Puds will surely come back to agree with that statement.

Are they getting crazy money though? Doubt the suckler men would agree with this. I don't be in Marts but according to yesterday's Indo the average price of a weanling bull 300/400kg is €2.54 a kg. that's €889 for a 350kg bull. He would want this at least to keep a cow for a year and have something out of it. He would have less out of heifers I presume. Is it not just the high prices that are reported?
    What sort of a system does he run in kilkenny?

Are they getting crazy money though? Doubt the suckler men would agree with this. I don't be in Marts but according to yesterday's Indo the average price of a weanling bull 300/400kg is €2.54 a kg. that's €889 for a 350kg bull. He would want this at least to keep a cow for a year and have something out of it. He would have less out of heifers I presume. Is it not just the high prices that are reported?

I'll probably get shot for saying this but lads with good milky sucklers bred from british freaian dairy and bucket reared with fairly good offspring and double sucked with dairy calf of any breed and kept until 16 mts would leave double the profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

I'll probably get shot for saying this but lads with good milky sucklers bred from british freaian dairy and bucket reared with fairly good offspring and double sucked with dairy calf of any breed and kept until 16 mts would leave double the profit.

You'll get shot for punctuation alright.

• Advertisement

You'll get shot for punctuation alright.

That's it ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

I'm assuming that farmer has no suckler cows. He should go out and buy a pile of them, he'll be a multi-millionaire in a few years. Then he could retire, go and live near a beach in the Bahamas:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭adne

tanko wrote: »
    I'm assuming that farmer has no suckler cows. He should go out and buy a pile of them, he'll be a multi-millionaire in a few years. Then he could retire, go and live near a beach in the Bahamas:rolleyes:

U mean bundoran!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

He buys small heifers not weanlings from 330 to 450kgs roughly middle of the road kinda cattle as cheap as he can get and finishes them on grass and shed
    He had 8 Incalf this years and thinks yer a disgrace that ye don't scan them before ye bring them to the mart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

He had 8 Incalf this years and thinks yer a disgrace that ye don't scan them before ye bring them to the mart

He is right. It is a disgrace. All heifers should be scanned before they are brought to the mart. Why risk getting fleeced for the sake of the cost of scanning.
    I'm nit ashamed to say that if one I buy proves in calf I make sure all costs are covered and my time and potential loss is covered too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

He buys small heifers not weanlings from 330 to 450kgs roughly middle of the road kinda cattle as cheap as he can get and finishes them on grass and shed
    Robson99 wrote: »
    He is right. It is a disgrace. All heifers should be scanned before they are brought to the mart. Why risk getting fleeced for the sake of the cost of scanning.
    I'm nit ashamed to say that if one I buy proves in calf I make sure all costs are covered and my time and potential loss is covered too.

All the more reason for suckler farmers to keep all the heifers and take them to beef on his/her own farm. Seen lads estrumate heifers in the chute as they were putting on the stickers in the mart. If a heifer is only a few weeks in calf she won't show up in the scan.

Other lads then with feedlots are pretending heifers are in calf, and go looking for compo. The whole heifer in calf/not in calf thing needs to be reviewed by the marts. Having a mud fat heifer calving is no use to anyone, except maybe a vet doing a caesaerian. (jesus spellcheck suggests canaries for that one:confused:)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

4.00 bullocks for tomorrow Slaney and Liffey meats hacketstown. 4.10 heifers. Excluding any bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Break that down for us mere mortals. I'd be saying a half reasonable calf would be 250-300. The cow will need extra feeding costing say 50c a day , then calves pulling out of her say maybe slip a week or two with calving, then the pure hardship of getting the calf onto the cow, two out of three might take but that third one could eat up weeks. Put in a few new random diseases and you'd be asking yourself why aren't I milking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Miname wrote: »
    Break that down for us mere mortals. I'd be saying a half reasonable calf would be 250-300. The cow will need extra feeding costing say 50c a day , then calves pulling out of her say maybe slip a week or two with calving, then the pure hardship of getting the calf onto the cow, two out of three might take but that third one could eat up weeks. Put in a few new random diseases and you'd be asking yourself why aren't I milking.

Wild statement by me it seems. Everything thing sounds easy until ya have to do it.

Folye paying a 15cent bonus. Any one know what it's for?
    http://www.ifa.ie/market-reports/market-reports-6/

4.00 bullocks for tomorrow Slaney and Liffey meats hacketstown. 4.10 heifers. Excluding any bonus.

What's the thought's now.i am not happy with what I am hearing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

What are you hearing? €4 isn't too bad - a struggle to get €3.95 in the west.

Go on sure. Your bulling to give us good news. ;-)

MfMan wrote: »
    What are you hearing? €4 isn't too bad - a struggle to get €3.95 in the west.

I have some to kill.was told that they are not quoting till next week

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement