Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

A lot are only on a two day week next week so that may explain how the job was a little keener for yesterday and today. I was told strictly to keep over 400 kg bullocks from slaney. Had nothing to trouble it anyway.

I was thinking about the link that I posted above and what the Kepak representative said about factors that are going to cause a 10c/kg price fall. One factor was reduced consumption in France and the other was a reduction in the Chinese market for offal and hides.
    It is ironic that us farmers have to suffer a price reduction considering we don't even get paid for the 5th quarter.
    It really is a fcuked up system were the processors are always on the winning side at the expense of producers :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Base price wrote: »
    I was thinking about the link that I posted above and what the Kepak representative said about factors that are going to cause a 10c/kg price fall. One factor was reduced consumption in France and the other was a reduction in the Chinese market for offal and hides.
    It is ironic that us farmers have to suffer a price reduction considering we don't even get paid for the 5th quarter.
    It really is a fcuked up system were the processors are always on the winning side at the expense of producers :(
    It's probably a ploy to get farmers to throw cattle at them. It'll probably work.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    It's probably a ploy to get farmers to throw cattle at them. It'll probably work.
    Along with the two day week kill.

Anyone kill cows lately? What are prices like for o's. Waiting for an agent to get back to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Anyone kill cows lately? What are prices like for o's. Waiting for an agent to get back to me

3.60 os and ps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Anyone get a quote on Steers for this week? Auld boy was in Carnaross and told me that its 3.90 base in Liffey..

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Was talking to a buyer for one of the big factories today and was to hold on for 2 weeks
    Told me they were told they'd pull them as far as they can but are only getting barely enough cattle at the minute and some factories are killing extra days which isn't suiting the big 3 and thinks things could change quicker than people think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Duke92 wrote: »
    Was talking to a buyer for one of the big factories today and was to hold on for 2 weeks
    Told me they were told they'd pull them as far as they can but are only getting barely enough cattle at the minute and some factories are killing extra days which isn't suiting the big 3 and thinks things could change quicker than people think.

We have a good news report for once! As Pudsey has been saying the sums just don't add up so things have to improve coming into the winter. God help us this time 2017 I can see 3.70 being the base the way they are prick acting now with a lower number of stock in the ground. Supply and demand my hole.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

We have a good news report for once! As Pudsey has been saying the sums just don't add up so things have to improve coming into the winter. God help us this time 2017 I can see 3.70 being the base the way they are prick acting now with a lower number of stock in the ground. Supply and demand my hole.

In a way the poor milk prices now might actually help beef prices in the future, if milk price stayed high, then cow numbers would be higher=more bull calves in the system.
    Lads don't realize how much the weak euro vs sterling has helped lift the beef price compared to spring '14.
    Factories using the reduced demand in China for the 5th quarter as an excuse to pull beef prices is simply that, an excuse. We all know that the fifth quarter covers the costs to run the factory, their costs if anything have gone down with crude oil price dropping.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

China would be a better buyer for Labrador than Charolais it seems. What a load of bolox from supershinySimon and co.
    Yes cloughcasey spring 17 we are heading for another crisis.

Unfortunately poor milk price put guys in the position they have to milk more cows now just to stand still. Which is the vicious circle and the race to the bottom which was foretold but too many didn't want to hear.

Willfarman wrote: »
    China would be a better buyer for Labrador than Charolais it seems. What a load of bolox from supershinySimon and co.
    Yes cloughcasey spring 17 we are heading for another crisis.

It will be easy buy calves!!

It will be easy buy calves!!

And the milk to feed em!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Any quotes for next week lads, all I'm hearing is 3.90

tatoo wrote: »
    Any quotes for next week lads, all I'm hearing is 3.90

Heard from an agent 3.85 for bullocks (don't have any to sell) and 3.50 for o grade cows. Might be more to be got for the cows will wait till next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

3.95 for bullocks being sent off early on Monday morning

3.95 for bullocks being sent off early on Monday morning

Double is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

3.90 and 3.95 for bullocks you'd want to be fairly harmless to let them of at 3.85

• Advertisement

5 cent doesn't make you up if you have to travel but yes I think 3.90 should be got most places anyway.

Occasionally I transport cattle in the jeep/trailer to the factory for local elderly neighbours. Most of them do not have a car licence let alone a trailer licence.
    Anyway earlier this week a local man asked me to transport two dry cows to a factory. He arranged the price with the factory but when I arrived with them the lady in the office asked me were they Quality Assured.
    As far as I was aware cows are not covered by the QA scheme.
    Are the factories shifting the goal posts to suit themselves, again.

Occasionally I transport cattle in the jeep/trailer to the factory for local elderly neighbours. Most of them do not have a car licence let alone a trailer licence.
    Anyway earlier this week a local man asked me to transport two dry cows to a factory. He arranged the price with the factory but when I arrived with them the lady in the office asked me were they Quality Assured.
    As far as I was aware cows are not covered by the QA scheme.
    Are the factories shifting the goal posts to suit themselves, again.

No bonus on cows but a lot of places want them from qa herds all the same and the 70d, Slaney could cut 20/30c if not in herd 70d

simx wrote: »
    No bonus on cows but a lot of places want them from qa herds all the same and the 70d, Slaney could cut 20/30c if not in herd 70d
    In this case there appears to be a 10c/kg difference in the base price. Both cull cows were born into the herd.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Is there a chance for a slight rise next week.weather good few pound out in the post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

In this case there appears to be a 10c/kg difference in the base price. Both cull cows were born into the herd.

It's probably to replace the €3 bonus for QA herds they've just taken off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭degetme

Dawn are paying four cent a kilo on cows from quality assured farms

degetme wrote: »
    Dawn are paying four cent a kilo on cows from quality assured farms

I never got it off them anyway

I never got it off them anyway

Ah you'd be getting it in the price I'd say lad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Duke92 wrote: »
    3.90 and 3.95 for bullocks you'd want to be fairly harmless to let them of at 3.85

Don't know if 3.90 is available in the west?

• Advertisement

Ah you'd be getting it in the price I'd say lad!

I Feckin wish ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭jfh

Any thoughts on a price rise. Hopeful thinking, got a bull to go, he'll need another 2 weeks but would let him off now @ 3.90..

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Was quoted 3:85 and 3:90 base for steers today over the phone in the midlands.

Thats 50 cent back on prices i got during the summer.
    Not a dickie bird from the IFA and the likes on the price collapse...

Will dig the heels in and hold them for another few weeks.

dryan wrote: »
    Was quoted 3:85 and 3:90 base for steers today over the phone in the midlands.

Thats 50 cent back on prices i got during the summer.
    Not a dickie bird from the IFA and the likes on the price collapse...

Will dig the heels in and hold them for another few weeks.

It will be 6 weeks before there will be anything resembling a significant rise I think. We are headed for a major crisis in spring 17. Nothing from the ifa on this either.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

It will be 6 weeks before there will be anything resembling a significant rise I think. We are headed for a major crisis in spring 17. Nothing from the ifa on this either.
    There will be a problem long before that

Talking to an agent today he said they'll rise again in a month. Yeah The Ifa are due a press release soon alright. " farmers hold out on selling stock, insist on €4 bla bla..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

The over thirty months makes a real bollix out of it.

Ive a few to go next week cos they will be over the following week.

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    There will be a problem long before that

Enlighten us?

I think long term the factories and ifa will strike a deal on a base price of around 3.80 for a fixed term. With "bonuses" for in spec carcases. Anything that doesn't meet the spec of the base price could be heavily penalised up to 24c in some cases for under/over fleshed animals. And they will keep the 30mts and between 310 and 360 deadweight. I can see the aa and hex schemes be strenghtened further. The lads that produce these animals don't give a flying fup about the beef trade (dairy men) so I think that larry and his merry men will try and play it towards extra "benefits" for the rearer/finisher and deliberately put an extra squeeze on the suckler farmer producing these in the factories eyes "over priced" weanlings and making it harder to buy stores for their finishers. I think they will exploit the expansion of the dairy sector to the last euro. They have the power and the money to do as they please.

• Advertisement

I think long term the factories and ifa will strike a deal on a base price of around 3.80 for a fixed term. With "bonuses" for in spec carcases. Anything that doesn't meet the spec of the base price could be heavily penalised up to 24c in some cases for under/over fleshed animals. And they will keep the 30mts and between 310 and 360 deadweight. I can see the aa and hex schemes be strenghtened further. The lads that produce these animals don't give a flying fup about the beef trade (dairy men) so I think that larry and his merry men will try and play it towards extra "benefits" for the rearer/finisher and deliberately put an extra squeeze on the suckler farmer producing these in the factories eyes "over priced" weanlings and making it harder to buy stores for their finishers. I think they will exploit the expansion of the dairy sector to the last euro. They have the power and the money to do as they please.
    :eek:

Talking to an agent today he said they'll rise again in a month. Yeah The Ifa are due a press release soon alright. " farmers hold out on selling stock, insist on €4 bla bla..."

Just read on the indo Henry burns has said "agents need to insist farmers are getting a base price for steers in the €3.90-3.95 range". What an organisation!

Just read on the indo Henry burns has said "agents need to insist farmers are getting a base price for steers in the €3.90-3.95 range". What an organisation!

Agents will only look out for themselves. It's their job to source cattle for factories more so than looking after their loyal customers.

Meat industry Ireland never have and never will do deals with the ifa. Unless we see live export for the surplus 2015 stock the processers are going to be firmly in the driving seat and merciless with price and spec.

Meat industry Ireland never have and never will do deals with the ifa. Unless we see live export for the surplus 2015 stock the processers are going to be firmly in the driving seat and merciless with price and spec.

Then there is no limit to where it will stop. Going on the figurea Pudsey had for us a few weeks back it made simple supply and demand sense for the prices to hit 4.20-30 again in November. All they do is manipulate the market to suit the situation. This is the only period in a long time that supply is actually thin. What happens when there is 33 or 34k cattle for processing weekly??? The ifa are the biggest laughing stock ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just looking at Bord Bia figures.

Export Numbers
    Year To Date - 143k
    Last year - 192K

Factory numbers
    Year To Date - 1,133k
    Last year - 1,187K

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Export Numbers
    Year To Date - 143k
    Last year - 192K

Factory numbers
    Year To Date - 1,133k
    Last year - 1,187K

What's your reading on those figures patsy?

Then there is no limit to where it will stop. Going on the figurea Pudsey had for us a few weeks back it made simple supply and demand sense for the prices to hit 4.20-30 again in November. All they do is manipulate the market to suit the situation. This is the only period in a long time that supply is actually thin. What happens when there is 33 or 34k cattle for processing weekly??? The ifa are the biggest laughing stock ever.

Why target a traditionally poor time to sell beef cattle, ie September /October, why not target june/july,
    I wouldn't be too hopeful for November, factories will have feedlot cattle to ensure they can fill the pre Christmas contacts, I hear there's feedlots set up around the country for lambs now, don't know of any one that's actually seen one
    All the hobby farmers are selling at the moment and they just ask when will you take them

Export Numbers
    Year To Date - 143k
    Last year - 192K

Factory numbers
    Year To Date - 1,133k
    Last year - 1,187K

Hard to believe that an extra 50k cattle caused such chaos.
    Where did all the other cattle go....isn't there 1.7m cows in the country

Extra births this year from the dairy side. It is a repeat of the 2012 retained calves to 2014 beef price crisis.

Processers are going to clean up to the detriment of rural economies!

rangler1 wrote: »
    Why target a traditionally poor time to sell beef cattle, ie September /October, why not target june/july,
    I wouldn't be too hopeful for November, factories will have feedlot cattle to ensure they can fill the pre Christmas contacts, I hear there's feedlots set up around the country for lambs now, don't know of any one that's actually seen one
    All the hobby farmers are selling at the moment and they just ask when will you take them

So what's your lot going to do about it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement