Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

So what's your lot going to do about it?

Not my problem now, but why sell at what has always been a bad time of the year. Farmers selling in june/july would've had higher cost and probably deserved that 30/40c extra they got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

rangler1 wrote: »
    Not my problem now, but why sell at what has always been a bad time of the year. Farmers selling in june/july would've had higher cost and probably deserved that 30/40c extra they got

so it's the farmers fault now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Fair point rangler but non the less we have conceded defeat to the beef barons and become price takers be it spring summer or winter.

so it's the farmers fault now

Get real, it's business...do you buy your inputs as cheap as you can.
    Well beef processors are the same.
    Farming's going nowhere at the moment, if there was no subsidies, farmers couldn't afford thee luxury of feeding cattle and the market would work, ie low prices curing low prices etc, but farmers are happy to let the BPS subsidise their beef enterprise, so low prices doesn't cause a reduction in supply

Willfarman wrote: »
    Fair point rangler but non the less we have conceded defeat to the beef barons and become price takers be it spring summer or winter.

All the unions in the country have hard nosed campaigners fighting their corner. (I have my own business so unions wouldn't be my cup of tea). The teachers unions last week managed to put a spanner in the works for the government in relation to a change in the junior cert. Why oh why cannot farmers have elected representatives that actually can fight for their own instead of just of producing soundbites that sound good but have no back up. It's amazing really seeing that farming individually is one of the biggest industries in the country.

Farming's going nowhere at the moment, if there was no subsidies, farmers couldn't afford thee luxury of feeding cattle and the market would work, ie low prices curing low prices etc, but farmers are happy to let the BPS subsidise their beef enterprise, so low prices doesn't cause a reduction in supply

Business is business I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't pay over the odds either for something I could get cheaper. But all the companies that I sub work from don't all come together and say "lads if we all come together and offer him a ****e price then he'll have no choice but to take what he is getting" that would be a price fix within the market I work in and I would call in the competition authority and there would be war!

All the unions in the country have hard nosed campaigners fighting their corner. (I have my own business so unions wouldn't be my cup of tea). The teachers unions last week managed to put a spanner in the works for the government in relation to a change in the junior cert. Why oh why cannot farmers have elected representatives that actually can fight for their own instead of just of producing soundbites that sound good but have no back up. It's amazing really seeing that farming individually is one of the biggest industries in the country.

Unions can withdraw services, when farmers can do that we might have some clout.
    I just said f..k this last year when the comp auth got involved.
    Public service have this country destroyed. every day is a new story of mismanagement

You are no longer a fighting farmer rangler.. You've lost the fire in the belly. The injustice of beef barons. The very term infuriates me.

This goes far beyond the beef farmer.
    The engineering firms ,the marts ,the local tyre fitter ,the local electrician ,local feed mill ,local mechanic,

jobs incomes families viable rural economies not ffing beef baron with private jets and helicopters flying in and out of racecourses

You are no longer a fighting farmer rangler.. You've lost the fire in the belly. The injustice of beef barons. The very term infuriates me.

This goes far beyond the beef farmer.
    The engineering firms ,the marts ,the local tyre fitter ,the local electrician ,local feed mill ,local mechanic,

jobs incomes families viable rural economies not ffing beef baron with private jets and helicopters flying in and out of racecourses

Yea you're right, winding down here more than forging ahead.
    At least I had fire in the belly to lose, not like a lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Agents will only look out for themselves. It's their job to source cattle for factories more so than looking after their loyal customers.

Of course they will. What nonsense from Burns. All the agents I know would screw me over a euro if they could and i believe they are all on a little bit of a power trip and love nothing more than going back to the factories and getting a pat on the head when telling them they are after sourcing cattle for 5 cent less.
    So the IFA have resorted to asking the agents to help. No talk of the huge price difference between here and the UK (that was their gripe last year and Im sure that has increased).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

What's your reading on those figures patsy?

Well for the Export numbers, calves are down 16%, Stores down 59% :eek:, and weanlings down 46% for this year compared to last (Jan 1 to 12 Sept). There's going to be a lot of extra cattle in the country next year, all queuing to get in the factory gates.
    In fairness, that's only one side of things. Just as important is the international demand where after all, 80% of our beef goes. Try figuring that one out. It could be anything from currency swings to drought to oil prices, all playing their own part.

Export Numbers
    Year To Date - 143k
    Last year - 192K

Factory numbers
    Year To Date - 1,133k
    Last year - 1,187K

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Quoted 3.90 for a load of Steers on the grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

locha wrote: »
    Quoted 3.90 for a load of Steers on the grid.

Where's at?

Cavan. Not sure what others are getting but for the man rolling in with his 4s and 5s in a jeep and trailer best I heard was 3.85.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

locha wrote: »
    Cavan. Not sure what others are getting but for the man rolling in with his 4s and 5s in a jeep and trailer best I heard was 3.85.

Same as that. Trouble is, factories getting such a supply, they will only take 4/5s, won't entertain a full load at the moment unless you (or agent) are really well in with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Any quotes for next week are they back 5 cent.or are they the same

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    Any quotes for next week are they back 5 cent.or are they the same

Howya cass. Nice drop of rain on the way I think. Was grand to get a week dry all the same. Were ya watching the Irish match? Lets hope they were more focused on what is coming next week cos whatever about next week but the all blacks will hammer us if we play like that again. On the prices front they will probably either drop the 5c or else stay static. Depending on how bad this weather break is. But to be sure all the agents will be ringing lads saying, ya better offload them now sure as there is a talk of a 10c pull next week with the tail end of this hurricane heading straight for us at the weekend sure you'll have them housed and on silage and meal, and where will ya put all the weanlings ya bought if it doesn't improve after that. Typical run of the mill week coming id say. So did ya watch the match?

Howya cass. Nice drop of rain on the way I think. Was grand to get a week dry all the same. Were ya watching the Irish match? Lets hope they were more focused on what is coming next week cos whatever about next week but the all blacks will hammer us if we play like that again. On the prices front they will probably either drop the 5c or else stay static. Depending on how bad this weather break is. But to be sure all the agents will be ringing lads saying, ya better offload them now sure as there is a talk of a 10c pull next week with the tail end of this hurricane heading straight for us at the weekend sure you'll have them housed and on silage and meal, and where will ya put all the weanlings ya bought if it doesn't improve after that. Typical run of the mill week coming id say. So did ya watch the match?
    Very good summary on both rugby and beef.i am going to Cardiff for the France match so I will have to off load a few to cover the trip

France are a big test now. Won't look beyond them yet.. But Australia are some outfit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Fcuking rugby ..... yawn.

Factorys got them back well considering how scarce cattle are meant to be.

By the looks of an post the cheque mighten get to you for a few months!!

mf240 wrote: »
    Fcuking rugby ..... yawn.

Factorys got them back well considering how scarce cattle are meant to be.

By the looks of an post the cheque mighten get to you for a few months!!

Cattle are not scarce.COD

And the price is far from bad too. Fell from a fuppin dizzy height in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

bullocks 3.85 on grid
    o&p cows 3.45
    slaney

Anyone selling bullocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

I am. And you can have them at €4/kg

• Advertisement

Grand. Feed em well and il collect in 6 weeks time....

huey1975 wrote: »
    I am. And you can have them at €4/kg

And you'll get a big bouncy cheque from that lad!! ;-). May as well stick with the 3.85 from Larry. Bird in the hand and all that sorta thing.

Got the text from the IFA. Steer base €3.90/€3.95. This time next year Rodney, we are going to be millionaires!!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    Cattle are not scarce.COD

What's that ?

......Cash On Delivery ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Well what do you know, the Dept have decided to apply a new grading formula to the VIA (Video Image Analysis) grading machines.

I wonder for how long have we been ripped off by the factories :mad:

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/a-new-beef-grading-formula-to-be-rolled-out-at-meat-plants/

• Advertisement

I have killed cattle in two factories this year. I found the grading to be markedly different. In one factory I had 7 of 11 grading U- or better. In the other, the best grade I had was 1 U- from 13. From the first load I thought I might have 5 Us and from the second load I was expecting 6 Us. From the second factory I had 5 bullocks grading 4+ which meant that I lost the 12c QA payment while in the othe factory, the fattest bullock graded 4-!!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Anyone plan to kill cattle this week? Best quote I could get for a few overage steers was 3:90 base. Midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

dryan wrote: »
    Anyone plan to kill cattle this week? Best quote I could get for a few overage steers was 3:90 base. Midlands.

3.85 according to this as of this day last week.:(

http://icsaireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

3.90 for steers and 4 for heifers in Waterford today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

What price you you get for 4yr old bull, he about 800kg, would you get same price as cull cow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭mayota

tellmeabit wrote: »
    What price you you get for 4yr old bull, he about 800kg, would you get same price as cull cow?

Maybe €1200 in factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

tellmeabit wrote: »

800kgs finished 480*3=1440-stopages
    800kgs not finished 400*3=1200-stopages

Worth alot more through ring imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

epfff wrote: »
    800kgs finished 480*3=1440-stopages
    800kgs not finished 400*3=1200-stopages

Worth alot more through ring imo

Them heavy bulls only making 1.40 or 1.50 per kilo through the ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Thanks guys. Might hold on to him another while and put some condition on him.

3.85 for blks. Am I being low balled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

only heard one quote for blks last week and same as that in slaney

Raped €4 to be got for numbers €3.95 the run for good regulars unless there over 36 or non quality assured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Duke92 wrote: »
    Raped €4 to be got for numbers €3.95 the run for good regulars unless there over 36 or non quality assured

Where
    385 all I can get too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

3.90 for steers and 4 for heifers in Waterford today

Where In waterford ??

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Is the 3.90 a rise, or is that what it was last week as well?

Was quoted 3.85 this week, got 3.90 on the grid. If I knew 4 was to be had....

3.85 is as much as could be got last week without travelling. 3.90 then but that's no use with paying Lorry and reduced kill out. The ifa are good buyers though. Quoting very well!!

Sell hard lads!

Slaney and abp paid 3.90 to some certain ppl last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

How do ye think cows price will go over the upcoming months? Good cows but not fat, mart/factory??

• Advertisement

Slaney and abp paid 3.90 to some certain ppl last week

Ah them lads have suits of armour. They are hardened sellers!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement