Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Well lads we could all try sheep! Not protesting again this year. Had cattle booked in last year not send them in and when I did they graded poorly; a number were O when sure definite Rs; alot to be said for seeing the cattle killed yourself then you can argue the toss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

barnaman wrote: »
    MF whats the current penalty for overage was 12c the last time I killed a few

No penalty. But no qa.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

What would typical kill out percentage be for a young U grade belgian blue dry cow. She is 840kg but not fully fit for factory yet in my opinion.

Trying to decide should I go to mart or send to factory. Factory prices around here varying from 3.65 - 3.70 for u grade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have heard of p/b limo cows up to 10 years old killing out at 60%
    Is it hard to compare kill out% ,if you weigh a cow with a belly of grass she will weigh 70 kg heavier compared to a cow standing in a mart for 5 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

World Health Organisation has stated that eating red meat is a probable carcinogenic, while processed meat has now be classified as a carcinogenic to humans.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/confirmed-eating-sausages-ham-corned-beef-and-hot-dogs-can-cause-cancer-34141786.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Anyone get prices for this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I hear 3.95 for next week but not first hand. This break in weather will flush out a lot of grass cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

mf240 wrote: »
    No penalty. But no qa.

Can you still get the as 12 c if your herd has been restricted ?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Base price wrote: »
    World Health Organisation has stated that eating red meat is a probable carcinogenic, while processed meat has now be classified as a carcinogenic to humans.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/confirmed-eating-sausages-ham-corned-beef-and-hot-dogs-can-cause-cancer-34141786.html

Yeah seen that.wont make a blind bit of notice

....processed meats apparently in the same category as Asbestos - what kind of nutjob w@nkers are this crowd ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

3.90 blks Slaney

3.90 seems to be the run of it for next week.. But that said there's no problem booking in cattle. Pick your day...

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Duke92

Abp 3.95 Slaney 3.95 can't get the 4

Duke92 wrote: »
    Abp 3.95 Slaney 3.95 can't get the 4

3.90 slaney today. Can't get 3.95. I' tell em I know the duke.. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

3.90 in Nenagh 12 blks. 10 chx and 2lmx all underage 27-28mts and qa Lovely morning for it and all here!!!

Ya must have 3 or 4 or very heavy cattle overage cattle if Slaney Slaney won't give u 3.95

Underage. 5 Handy enough cattle. A few lads got 3.95 last week but no one got it this week they are telling me. How many did you send?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

They will always pay a few cents more to lads that are further away.

Feeding the last 12 grass cattle here. Will try hold them on for the 4

Willfarman wrote: »
    3.90 slaney today. Can't get 3.95. I' tell em I know the duke.. :confused:

You should have told them you're a hardened seller !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Lads not too well versed on factory prices
    Trying to sort out old lads cattle. Long story. Non QA cattle most of them over 30 month HEX and AAX.
    Just off the phone to the agent 3.80 on the grid with Moyvalley.Says he'll see if he can get a bit more.What exactly is "on the grid". Too lazy to look back through this thread !
    Agent has always looked out for the father who is not well at the moment so I trust him. In fairness to him he looked at trying to sort QA but even if I got that sorted within 2 to 3 weeks cattle will probably have dropped back a good bit with the change in the weather.
    Am I as well off to let em off to hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Anyone care to tell me what a u+3= 28 month old bullock 444kg dead would have come into last July roughly? Can remember selling him as a weanling very cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Anyone care to tell me what a u+3= 28 month old bullock 444kg dead would have come into last July roughly? Can remember selling him as a weanling very cheaply.

€2,000 I'd say. You must have got your ICBF suckler cow report today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭westlander

Hello lads,
    I've 2 over 30 month old bullocks to go. I guess mart is the best route. Both charolais/limo crosses - sandy coloured gents.

550 Kgs for both at least.

What would you accept if it was you selling them :)

tanko wrote: »
    €2,000 I'd say. You must have got your ICBF suckler cow report today too.

Ya I did alright. Was thinking it would be around that myself.

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Trying to sort out old lads cattle. Long story. Non QA cattle most of them over 30 month HEX and AAX.
    Just off the phone to the agent 3.80 on the grid with Moyvalley.Says he'll see if he can get a bit more.What exactly is "on the grid". Too lazy to look back through this thread !
    Agent has always looked out for the father who is not well at the moment so I trust him. In fairness to him he looked at trying to sort QA but even if I got that sorted within 2 to 3 weeks cattle will probably have dropped back a good bit with the change in the weather.

They will fall asunder if you don't fodder them at least. Meal feeding being preferable. Are the much over 30 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

2113 euro before deductions

westlander wrote: »
    Hello lads,
    I've 2 over 30 month old bullocks to go. I guess mart is the best route. Both charolais/limo crosses - sandy coloured gents.

I'll give you 2.20 a kg this second at the 550kg! Going rate for overage would be less than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

At best a base of 4.10 at the time plus 24cent for the u+ then 12 cent quality assurance would leave €1980 or maybe I'm missing something.
    You will tell us what you got for him and what weight he was and when you sold him. Please do.

€2,069.04

• Advertisement

Would be worth getting quality assured if you could prob be worth another 20cent
    Plus the grading wouldn't be hectic in my valley but you don't have a lot of options with out it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

westlander wrote: »
    Hello lads,

They are surely heavier than that at that age and breed? I'd be expecting them to be at least 100kg heavier even if they are off friesian cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Helpmefarm

Cavanjack wrote: »
    They are surely heavier than that at that age and breed? I'd be expecting them to be at least 100kg heavier even if they are off friesian cows.

Butt out if it you!! I was onto a winner there. ;-)

At a poor return of 25kg per day at 30mts should be 750kg. All cattle should be making the 30per month mark at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

That's a bit of a silly statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

They will fall asunder if you don't fodder them at least. Meal feeding being preferable. Are the much over 30 months?

30 to 32 months.
    Going Sunday. They are in good order. So rather have them going right than holding on and having them go back.

30 to 32 months.
    Going Sunday. They are in good order. So rather have them going right than holding on and having them go back.

Yor taking a hell of a walloping by not being quality assured and moving these type cattle on to kill mid summer well under 30 months.. But as you say you are where you are. I think your doing right.

Will you buy back?

Muckit wrote: »
    That's a bit of a silly statement.

And why might that be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

And why might that be?

Well because ALL cattle won't do that. Breed, sex, breeding and feeding (land type and are you/are you not stuffing them with bag stuff). There's many factors to consider. You can't make general statements like that.

Muckit wrote: »
    Well because ALL cattle won't do that. Breed, sex, breeding and feeding (land type and are you/are you not stuffing them with bag stuff). There's many factors to consider. You can't make general statements like that.

Fair point Muckit. I can only comment on what goes inside our stone walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

That told you clough.you are a tough seller?

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    That told you clough.you are a tough seller?

That's it sure

At best a base of 4.10 at the time plus 24cent for the u+ then 12 cent quality assurance would leave €1980 or maybe I'm missing something.
    You will tell us what you got for him and what weight he was and when you sold him. Please do.

6 months, 250kg 650e. Fella that bought him is always on ours when I bring them to the mart, no wonder he stays coming back. Calf from the same cow this year and she's a half twin. CD8EC80B-4C79-48F8-8BCE-82200CF26496_zpslbelf4lr.png

Hes a grand one.

Don't worry about the buyer getting a twist. He gave it all back to you this year!

• Advertisement

Hes a grand one.

Don't worry about the buyer getting a twist. He gave it all back to you this year!

I wouldn't begrudge anyone, everyone needs a twist out of them and a big difference in beef price in that timeframe too. He had a good twist out of him though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cozzie

I wouldn't begrudge anyone, everyone needs a twist out of them and a big difference in beef price in that timeframe too. He had a good twist out of him though!

Do you think, allowing him say to be sold again he would have left about €1.90 a day to cover all costs. there would be over a €100 on interest alone taken off him

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

cozzie wrote: »
    Do you think, allowing him say to be sold again he would have left about €1.90 a day to cover all costs. there would be over a €100 on interest alone taken off him

Who are you borrowing your money off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cozzie

huey1975 wrote: »
    Who are you borrowing your money off?

5.5% interest?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Imagine how some lad with a few brood mares feels when a foal they bred and sold for small money wins a big race?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement