Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

No sign of the fog lifting here in the west any hope for me in the East or South

Lots of cattle round I'm told

Is it a ploy to push cattle off for Xmas kill instead of having them gone by the time it starts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Rang few agents yesterday. Plenty cattle about and this weather keep them coming; take a week to get cattle in and €3.90 bullocks €4.05 heifers all in spec. Athleague offering only €4 for heifers!! Talking to friend in Galway what he got quouted for his heifers yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

There has been a lot of cattle moved in the south east this week but next week will see the dregs of the cattle on the land. It will take a significant rise to get lads to look at heavy cattle they have in feeding. But as always lads IMO you should never let an animal over 30mths that a 3+ fat to look at if they qualify for the 12 cent..

Mine are booked in for this day week; absolute last of the grass ones. Got a week in the shed; well 2 weeks by time go,.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

barnaman wrote: »
    Rang few agents yesterday. Plenty cattle about and this weather keep them coming; take a week to get cattle in and €3.90 bullocks €4.05 heifers all in spec. Athleague offering only €4 for heifers!! Talking to friend in Galway what he got quouted for his heifers yesterday.

Where was the 4.05 for heifers to be got????. 4.00 in Athleague and 400kg max carcass ! So I'm told

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Robson99 wrote: »
    Where was the 4.05 for heifers to be got????. 4.00 in Athleague and 400kg max carcass ! So I'm told

Talking 380 to me for bulls
    First time in while I have a bunch of 400kgs +

Feeding cows and bullocks outside not nice atm but in too deep to panic now

Thing that worries me is also don't want cows
    Told to find another home for them if I wanted killed in next few weeks

Ah well thats the beef industry

epfff wrote: »

Ballyhaunis normally better bet for cull cows

I can put up with a lot of the shyet the factories and godfather Larry goes on with but this max 400kg carcass in order to comply just busts my liathroidi.
    You try to get them into as high as weight as possible to leave a profit on expensive stores and they penalise you when they feel like it.
    Continental weanlings would want to be 200 a head less than what they are going on the current base price. I wonder how many will get out of sucklers if this happens??

Roscrea for heifer price. Rarely send there can be hit and miss. Cow trade is terrible I heard. Lads read yhis weeks Farmers Weekly sicken you abour new light specs in uK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

epfff wrote: »

See Cormac healy in the journal talking about 380kg as well for jan and claiming that they had given farmers 14mths to get their act in order, looks like they're serious

Ballyhaunis normally better bet for cull cows

I can put up with a lot of the shyet the factories and godfather Larry goes on with but this max 400kg carcass in order to comply just busts my liathroidi.
    You try to get them into as high as weight as possible to leave a profit on expensive stores and they penalise you when they feel like it.
    Continental weanlings would want to be 200 a head less than what they are going on the current base price. I wonder how many will get out of sucklers if this happens??

Iam in suckler to beef and neither is making any money. Continental cattle really need to be killed at 36 months as take longer to mature just look how long takes them to get horns, when we killed at 36 months killed out as us and es no bare R.

• Advertisement

rangler1 wrote: »
    See Cormac healy in the journal talking about 380kg as well for jan and claiming that they had given farmers 14mths to get their act in order, looks like they're serious

Cormac is a shark.. I wish we had him on our side!

Read the Weekly about the 30c a kilo penalties for cattle over 415 kilos come into force 16 nov. Happy days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

They are the bottom of the table for paying out for heifers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

most continental types will be heavy enough at 24mts but will need extra high energy feed to put on a good fat score. More cost when ya can't finish off grass. I've said it before they will try and put a bigger squeeze on suckler farming.

Who are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

most continental types will be heavy enough at 24mts but will need extra high energy feed to put on a good fat score. More cost when ya can't finish off grass. I've said it before they will try and put a bigger squeeze on suckler farming.

B/whiteheads is all that will be left

Muckit wrote: »
    Who are they?

Meat processors

The gentleman finisher won't lose his gra for the hairy Char X sim. And the export job keeps a bottom in them. No fear Clough!

I said wrote: »
    B/whiteheads is all that will be left

Not really. Just big well made cattle will obviously have to be slaughtered younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

weighed my hefiers today,wh 20 months 4 of them 540kg in shed 3 weeks,on 1,5 kg of roaches super beef are they good enough to kill ?

• Advertisement

Meat processors

How are they going g to put pressure on sucklers? It's there's gobsheens like me going out paying 810 and 20 for 260kg heifer calves.

moll3 wrote: »
    weighed my hefiers today,wh 20 months 4 of them 540kg in shed 3 weeks,on 1,5 kg of roaches super beef are they good enough to kill ?

They are heavy enough if they are fat enough. Look between front legs for a full rounded brisket.

You full time or pt Muck it?

Muckit wrote: »
    How are they going g to put pressure on sucklers? It's there's gobsheens like me going out paying 810 and 20 for 260kg heifer calves.

Sure your happy at it. Well my point of view would be that if finishing under 380kg then you buy quite dairy bred stock cheaper and hold them to 27mts and get them to that KO weight easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Read the Weekly about the 30c a kilo penalties for cattle over 415 kilos come into force 16 nov. Happy days!

Plus the 0.12 QA I presume so that becomes €0.42 cut? Ffs, cut the stake in half buttercup.

But if numbers drop in the morning I can bring in a lad that will kill out at 550kg no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Willfarman wrote: »
    I'd wait and see.. Weather is ****e and it's mid Nov. And there's no oversupply. Pick your day I'm told anyway. A lot of of cattle will be off the land to the shed or to the line this week and next. And if they go to the shed they are committed in the main to feed. I think there will be a little improvement..

Cassidy will be along shortly to say I'm talking bollocks and he's probably right!

Was very busy there.I said on this thread back in July sell sell sell.and certain people criticise me.but now I say don't panic.but everyone situation is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Yea. used to do it here, charolais out of Simmental cows, av 400kg at 22mths and heifers 30 - 40 kgs less at 20mths.....it can be done

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    Was very busy there.I said on this thread back in July sell sell sell.and certain people criticise me.but now I say don't panic.but everyone situation is different.

In fairness to you cass you had it spot on.

You full time or pt Muck it?

Part time and probably no time any time soon if l had sense.

• Advertisement

Yea. used to do it here, charolais out of Simmental cows, av 400kg at 22mths and heifers 30 - 40 kgs less at 20mths.....it can be done

The ch x sim is a great animal. I'd say on your ground you had them into lumps of cattle in no time.

Blonde x Ch not bad cross either from my limited experience of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

They are heavy enough if they are fat enough. Look between front legs for a full rounded brisket.

Any other signs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

saranac1 wrote: »
    Any other signs

Cover of fat on the ribs and around the tail head

Tail head and ribs. On traditional breeds if the brisket is full then the they are fat enough I find. Tail head will be starting to round but if getting lumps your in bother. On continental you need to look at tail head and judge all in. On real good u grade heifers you need to look at ribs as well.

Tail head and ribs. On traditional breeds if the brisket is full then the they are fat enough I find. Tail head will be starting to round but if getting lumps your in bother. On continental you need to look at tail head and judge all in. On real good u grade heifers you need to look at ribs as well.

Always find good u grade continental heifers can take plenty of feeding without worrying about getting fat. Always try and get them to 4- here if possible as I believe you have near maximised weight gain at that stage.
    Traditional breeds can get fat very quickly imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Cattle tend to go up a grade if well finished too.

I know with plain friesans if you dont have plenty of flesh youll have lots of ps

• Advertisement

mf240 wrote: »
    Cattle tend to go up a grade if well finished too.

I know with plain friesans if you dont have plenty of flesh youll have lots of ps

Well a half grade! But yes you want a pillow over the tail of the friesians to get fair play on the grading. A lot of big under fleshed over 30 moth types appearing in marts in these parts over last month.. 635kg March 13 635 lads 1060. They same cattle were worth that last May? Worth a punt methinks if a lad had facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I fine HE heifers can put fat on the ail head quicker than elsewhere. Often had one look like a 5 round the tailhead and come in as a 4- on the hook

Well lads all the chat at weekend was there where pulling cows.did it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Where is the best price for U+ plus cows at the min. I have 1 lim fit for killing and 1 blue a couple of weeks away. Both are up on 900kg. The last report I seen showed that ballyhaunis was quoting 3.70 and ashbourne 3.80.

Ballyhaunis is reasonably close to me but Ashbourne isn't. Wonder do they have any agents in north mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

sent a few to factory yesterday, a 14 year old angus cow. A 24 month old pb angus heifer - had a peg leg and not suitable to breed with- and a 2 yo angus x bullock that never grew. Had 3 calls from factory yesterday evening, thought there was something wrong with one of them. They wanted to know if my dad was QA , he didnt bother anymore as he would be sending very few eligible animals to factory, so he is getting 3.90 rather than 4.00 for the heifer. she graded u. Will post up what they made when we get it. Sent an old fr cow last week that did the splits many times, straight from parlour, got 450 euro for her, better than having to pay the knackery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    Well lads all the chat at weekend was there where pulling cows.did it happen

Surely did, 3.30 o&p cows now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

simx wrote: »
    Surely did, 3.30 o&p cows now

Heard 3.40 for R's, do you see any chance of an improvement in cow prices before Xmas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

tanko wrote: »
    Heard 3.40 for R's, do you see any chance of an improvement in cow prices before Xmas?

Better off in the mart than 3.40 for rs I'd say, maybe but mightn't be anything to hectic, lot of lads drying off now/weaning throwing cows at factories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Where is the best price for U+ plus cows at the min. I have 1 lim fit for killing and 1 blue a couple of weeks away. Both are up on 900kg. The last report I seen showed that ballyhaunis was quoting 3.70 and ashbourne 3.80.

Ballyhaunis is reasonably close to me but Ashbourne isn't. Wonder do they have any agents in north mayo.

saw a MO reg double in ashbourme a couple of times, ring the factory and ask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Anything better than €3.90 and €4 to be got for steers and heifers?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Anything better than €3.90 and €4 to be got for steers and heifers?

have a few steers ready, quoted 3.90 with a cut over 420 kg carcass.
    Midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

aa heifer was 336kg graded u4 at 4.02e/kg 1351 euro
    aa cow 352kg o4 3.1e/kg 1092 euro

No, spoke 2 agents today prices holding this week and next. Cows trade completly dead cannot get culls in.

No, spoke 2 agents today prices holding this week and next. Cows trade completly dead cannot get culls in.

Imo keep feeding cows till next year.the bad milk price is making a complete joke of the cow trade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Was in a mart yesterday, cull cow prices were through the floor. Heavy cows selling for 1.45 to 1.55 €/kg.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement