Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

tanko wrote: »
    Was in a mart yesterday, cull cow prices were through the floor. Heavy cows selling for 1.45 to 1.55 €/kg.

They would be better buying than wealings if ya had the sheds to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Was in a mart yesterday, cull cow prices were through the floor. Heavy cows selling for 1.45 to 1.55 €/kg.

Was that ballyduff .big player of buying cows has left the scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Cassidy2 wrote: »

Yeah, Ballyduff alrite. He hasn't been around for a month or so now. Is there any chance he might reappear soon?

Yeah, Ballyduff alrite. He hasn't been around for a month or so now. Is there any chance he might reappear soon?

No.was that price for a r grading cow

No.was that price for a r grading cow

Yeah, R grade continentals.
    Blue x 09 cow 736kgs €1150,
    Black lim 12 738kgs €1080,
    Super bbx 09 cow 672kgs €1080,
    Bbx 11 684kgs €1035,
    BWH 11 716 kgs €1020,
    Chx 11 634kgs €950

FR 05 742kgs €950
    FR 03 612kgs €550

Yeah, R grade continentals.
    Blue x 09 cow 736kgs €1150,
    Black lim 12 738kgs €1080,
    Super bbx 09 cow 672kgs €1080,
    Bbx 11 684kgs €1035,
    BWH 11 716 kgs €1020,
    Chx 11 634kgs €950

FR 05 742kgs €950
    FR 03 612kgs €550

There is value there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Pucks of cheap hay about.. Jays us if I had facilities I'd be gambling a few of them aul ladies for to graze next early summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

any improvement on the cull cows? Ive a small FR x JE to go.. she will never be worth much a bad P.. fed up looking at her and have to keep her on her own as I) will put prolapse out rising on others if bulling and II) will let any calf suck her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭limo_100

Why did he quit buying cows there did they fall out or he quit the cows??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Price being pulled in next 2 weeks

limo_100 wrote: »

No fall out, he hasn't been buying in any mart lately. I was told he has a pile of cows and he's finishing them.

No fall out, he hasn't been buying in any mart lately. I was told he has a pile of cows and he's finishing them.

orit he's like the rest of us so limited by shed space, is that the fella from dublin?? cows will probably not rise in price now till February

It's simple.what he was doing could not be done.so he has quit it for a good while

Cows or all beef

It's simple.what he was doing could not be done.so he has quit it for a good while

Wether he could do it or made no difference to me but in the last 2-3 years i'v being as much for my culls as I was getting for heifers, they were a roaring trade in balladuff, Iv two old cows to sell 15 and 14 years old would I be aswell to wait till after xmas there not big cows its just a matter of selling them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Source of just 50 50 guess??

Wether he could do it or made no difference to me but in the last 2-3 years i'v being as much for my culls as I was getting for heifers, they were a roaring trade in balladuff, Iv two old cows to sell 15 and 14 years old would I be aswell to wait till after xmas there not big cows its just a matter of selling them
    It did make a difference to you because you got an inflated price for your cows.

It did make a difference to you because you got an inflated price for your cows.

It was a bust to everyone selling them but cows were expensive nationwide there was money in them for the buyer aswell or they wouldn't have being giving them prices. It was nice for the farmers to make a killing on there cull cows instead of the old way of nearly giving them away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

sonnybill wrote: »
    any improvement on the cull cows? Ive a small FR x JE to go.. she will never be worth much a bad P.. fed up looking at her and have to keep her on her own as I) will put prolapse out rising on others if bulling and II) will let any calf suck her
    Delivered some to the factory for a friend during the week. They had a bit of cover on them. €1 per kg deadweight so 240kgs = €240 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Robson99 wrote: »
    Source of just 50 50 guess??

Source. All cattle. Didn't think they would

• Advertisement

It was a bust to everyone selling them but cows were expensive nationwide there was money in them for the buyer aswell or they wouldn't have being giving them prices. It was nice for the farmers to make a killing on there cull cows instead of the old way of nearly giving them away
    I made more money from showing cows than killing them

I made more money from showing cows than killing them

The best cows were making up to €2.20/kg for a while. Processors not being able to put horse meat in burgers anymore helped the cow trade.

Source. All cattle. Didn't think they would

I hope your wrong

Base price wrote: »
    Delivered some to the factory for a friend during the week. They had a bit of cover on them. €1 per kg deadweight so 240kgs = €240 etc

Jesus .. Giving her away at that .... She will have ate 60/ 70 worth of ration the past month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,359 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Jesus .. Giving her away at that .... She will have ate 60/ 70 worth of ration the past month
    When it comes to FRx/JEx P grading cows there is no advantage to feeding them unless there is a huge hike in prices due to a world shortage of beef :rolleyes: Depends on the age of the cow as well, if they are dry for a time, off grass and have a some cover then they are not cost you much. However I wouldn't be stuffing them with meal.
    You say that she will let any calf suck her so you could get a better price from a local farmer to rear a calf especially if she is back in calf.
    I sometimes buy simular type cows from dairy farmers that we buy calves from. Occasionally they have a genuine quiet cow that may have high cell counts that they want rid off but because she is special they don't want to send her to the factory.

Base price wrote: »
    When it comes to FRx/JEx P grading cows there is no advantage to feeding them unless there is a huge hike in prices due to a world shortage of beef :rolleyes: Depends on the age of the cow as well, if they are dry for a time, off grass and have a some cover then they are not cost you much. However I wouldn't be stuffing them with meal.
    You say that she will let any calf suck her so you could get a better price from a local farmer to rear a calf especially if she is back in calf.
    I sometimes buy simular type cows from dairy farmers that we buy calves from. Occasionally they have a genuine quiet cow that may have high cell counts that they want rid off but because she is special they don't want to send her to the factory.

She'd come back on me as she would prolapse ! She was shocking thin.. Took 2 calves off of her and fed her for 5 weeks but yeah you probably right let her off as is .. E240 would hurt though as she prob only 460 kg LW

She'd come back on me as she would prolapse ! She was shocking thin.. Took 2 calves off of her and fed her for 5 weeks but yeah you probably right let her off as is .. E240 would hurt though as she prob only 460 kg LW

sell her in the mart and say she has a slight prolapse when calving and say no comeback

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Heard price today o&p cows €3 😢

simx wrote: »

That's a bad price.people that bought them in the spring would lose their shirt

simx wrote: »

That's weak. But f me there's some flush of auld friesian cows after appearing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Willfarman wrote: »
    That's weak. But f me there's some flush of auld friesian cows after appearing.

Biggest sale in Kk last week with 150, 60/70 every week before that

That's a bad price.people that bought them in the spring would lose their shirt

farming indo on Tuesday also quoting E3.00 for o's and p's.. if I got that id be happy out.

aren't good big R3 char x cows only going 3.30

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

I've a bundle of 32/33 month old Friesan bullocks going to the mart, they're about 630/650 kgs I'd reckon, they are good square British friesan types and are in good order ( after getting barley for the last couple of weeks ), but would take another month to six weeks feeding.
    What kind of price per kilo should they be making ?

tatoo wrote: »
    I've a bundle of 32/33 month old Friesan bullocks going to the mart, they're about 630/650 kgs I'd reckon, they are good square British friesan types and are in good order ( after getting barley for the last couple of weeks ), but would take another month to six weeks feeding.
    What kind of price per kilo should they be making ?

1.60 to 1.90.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Anyone get a quote for heifers for next week ??
    Heard being cut 5 cent and finding it hard to get them in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Robson99 wrote: »
    Anyone get a quote for heifers for next week ??
    Heard being cut 5 cent and finding it hard to get them in

Getting €4 for heifers next week

No scarcity of fat stock yet it seems. I got it wrong. The in spec cattle won't fall between here and Christmas but they won't rise either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Willfarman wrote: »
    No scarcity of fat stock yet it seems. I got it wrong. The in spec cattle won't fall between here and Christmas but they won't rise either.

Your not the only one! I do remember saying twud be 4.20 by this time! They may squeeze further seeing our representative group have lost the last of their teeth!

Your not the only one! I do remember saying twud be 4.20 by this time! They may squeeze further seeing our representative group have lost the last of their teeth!

All the abuse you give me when I started posting here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Any sign of pudsey. ?

Big loss to the forum. Even if he got this one wrong he wasnt the only one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Forward we need to look
    I see no major move into the spring

I'm going for big rise in may
    Chalk it down that's the time to have beef ready

No change here same quotes coming with lots of cattle about

I think the reason for the big numbers at the minute is that cattle that would otherwise be housed for finishing in the new year done a serious thrive in September and October and are fit to be killed now. I know that happened here anyway and heard it from agents too. So maybe numbers of finished stock will drop in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Wes Palmer Lee

God bless your optimism lads!!

epfff wrote: »
    Forward we need to look
    I see no major move into the spring

I'm going for big rise in may
    Chalk it down that's the time to have beef ready

No change here same quotes coming with lots of cattle about

I'm inclined to agree.. More in hope than expectation!

God bless your optimism lads!!

Won't make much difference to me as I've very few to finish out of the shed this winter. Anyway we wouldn't be farmers if we wernt optimistic!!

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Won't make much difference to me as I've very few to finish out of the shed this winter. Anyway we wouldn't be farmers if we wernt optimistic!!

Was at sale last night 280kg Lim heifer 925 .unbelievable trade.he is optimistic or stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Good loser

Was at sale last night 280kg Lim heifer 925 .unbelievable trade.he is optimistic or stupid

Definitely the latter. Did you see the new ABP specs to be implemented in UK? Frightening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Yeah same thoughts myself. £1 a kilo cut for Irish origin beef; prepare for beef prices to drop. My €3.70 base for my own budget may be optimistic.

barnaman wrote: »
    Yeah same thoughts myself. £1 a kilo cut for Irish origin beef; prepare for beef prices to drop. My €3.70 base for my own budget may be optimistic.

I think at some stage next year probably in the back end I think it will be less than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

barnaman wrote: »

Big processor from Poland is opening shops in England, twelve to start with, so it'll definitely make no difference what English beef is making, only what polish beef is been sold for.
    I was actually telling you that through the beef protests

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement