Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Cattle supposed to be scarce.

Will get some doing in spring 2017 when the flood of cattle are ready.

Just looked up the nigerian excange. One nigerian naira is worth less than half a cent.

Cant see them buying to many irish steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

mf240 wrote: »
    Cattle supposed to be scarce.

No evidence of scarcity in the factories. They Dont want cattle at the moment. I can see a cut coming again next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Robson99 wrote: »
    No evidence of scarcity in the factories. They Dont want cattle at the moment. I can see a cut coming again next week

Thats what i mean. Imagine what theyll do when theres a glut. As another poster said when you see cow price falling its a very bad sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Why is it a bad sign when cow prices fall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Willfarman wrote: »
    Well a start would be recognition of the problem. And a presence in our most important prime retail market is far more likely to bear fruit than another pointless junket to a far flung corner of the earth..

Maybe he got the email from the Nigerian prince that needed a irish bank account to help him inherit his billions and said he better go find him and sure bring and hunk of dairy gold and and some Hereford prime to sweet the deal..

The British retailers also have a presence here so there there should be some scope to negotiate and clarify their stance on the said beef. Negotiate with the uk government. Talk to other processors. Find a loophole in European law to make it illegal. Draw up a few unanswered questions and possible penalties from the horsemeat scandal maybe.

At least ffing try anyway.

Not sure what they can do, British Retailers etc and the rest. Tesco here sell all Irish beef and all stores here from Aldi to Tesco keen to show support Irish farmers etc. Same happening stores in England British beef sold with the Red Tractor symbol promoted by the NFU. Its a simple thing that British prime market supports British beef. That leaves Irish beef with the mince meant market or same made into burgers. Only other time see it sold as prime beef is as super discounted.

• Advertisement

€1.91/kilo R3 Heifer price in Latvia this week. Its in the EU etc how can we compete with that? Half the price we are getting. Should Irish supermarkets start stocking Latvian beef? IMO prepare for the price drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Eddie downey warned of a price drop at a meeting here a month ago and got criticised for talking it down.
    Reminded me of telling a builder it couldn't last ten years ago.....it has to last he said.
    Huge nos out there now and not much sign of new markets.
    Supermarket specs will be important next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

rangler1 wrote: »
    Eddie downey warned of a price drop at a meeting here a month ago and got criticised for talking it down.
    Reminded me of telling a builder it couldn't last ten years ago.....it has to last he said.
    Huge nos out there now and not much sign of new markets.
    Supermarket specs will be important next year

How ya mean it wouldn't last Rangler? When was there a prolonged boom in beef prices like the construction? We got about six months of middling prices, and still well back on price being paid out in our biggest export market and your calling it similar to what happened the building game. How bad do you reckon it will get?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

There's not huge numbers of 14 birthday cattle. Been hard buying all year. Numbers just aren't there. It just depends when this glut of 15 birthday stock come on the scene next year.

If ever there were boats needed........

How ya mean it wouldn't last Rangler? When was there a prolonged boom in beef prices like the construction? We got about six months of middling prices, and still well back on price being paid out in our biggest export market and your calling it similar to what happened the building game. How bad do you reckon it will get?

There was no boom, but European markets are difficult, all the figures are pointing to a poor year next year and if they are realised , its likely that weight limits will be there as well.
    130000 more cattle than this year and that was the figure that was quoted the last bad year.
    Probably won't be an issue till the back end.
    The only similarity with the building is you kinda have to heed the warnings, not criticise the messenger

• Advertisement

barnaman wrote: »
    Not sure what they can do, British Retailers etc and the rest. Tesco here sell all Irish beef and all stores here from Aldi to Tesco keen to show support Irish farmers etc. Same happening stores in England British beef sold with the Red Tractor symbol promoted by the NFU. Its a simple thing that British prime market supports British beef. That leaves Irish beef with the mince meant market or same made into burgers. Only other time see it sold as prime beef is as super discounted.

It is seen as prime beef, and selling well from wanything I have and and seen. it is only discounted because we the Irish farmers are taking the hit and more. It is damaging the red tractor brand sales directly too.. Are British producers happy to see cheap high qaulity Irish beef dragging their livelihoods back in line with ours?

It is seen as prime beef, and selling well from wanything I have and and seen. it is only discounted because we the Irish farmers are taking the hit and more. It is damaging the red tractor brand sales directly too.. Are British producers happy to see cheap high qaulity Irish beef dragging their livelihoods back in line with ours?

Its not seen as prime beef by British customers and thus cannot be marketed as such. I lived in England for years and lads sitting down to their Sunday Roast do not want Irish beef. Waitrose only stock British beef and most rest gone that too. Tesco and Sainsburys used to stock Irish beef and that was the stuff on offer. I used to buy it to "buy Irish" and the quality often was ropey. British farmers taking a hit as Irish beef is taking up more of the subprime market which has a knock on effect. Irish farmers have to realise beef is only a commodity like oil and we have to export 90% of what we produce and if no market the price goes down.

http://www.waitrose.com/home/inspiration/about_waitrose/about_our_food/beef.html

All Waitrose beef comes from animals born, reared and slaughtered in the UK. All processing of meat takes place in the UK

http://realfood.tesco.com/our-food/british-brilliant.html

Tesco has worked hard over the past few years to reach the stage where all of the meat in our fresh meat counters is 100% British. We believe British is best, not just when it comes to taste, but also because buying British meat helps support our own farmers, as well as cut down on food miles by sourcing regionally within the UK.

Etc

The cheaper product always outsells the premium prised product when it comes to beef. This labelling arrangement is suiting the processers and retailers pretty well.
    Larry and co have the system tied in knots now.

British and Irish farmers has a good ring to it and would go down just fine with the consumer. McDonald's chain runs with this.

And irish prime beef is as prime as prime British beef??

If you talk of world price commodity beef then you have to talk of world price production standards.. And the consumer risks their in.

The cheaper product always outsells the premium prised product when it comes to beef. This labelling arrangement is suiting the processers and retailers pretty well.
    Larry and co have the system tied in knots now.

British and Irish farmers has a good ring to it and would go down just fine with the consumer. McDonald's chain runs with this.

If you talk of world price commodity beef then you have to talk of world price production standards.. And the consumer risks their in.

Sadly I think that our beef is just foreign beef in England competing with anything that comes frome Europe, and if two steaks don't fit in a tray, it's just burger beef

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Polish prime beef is as prime as prime Irish beef but we all know how we feel about that coming in here. Brits view Irish beef in the same way we view polish beef.

Polish prime beef is as prime as prime Irish beef but we all know how we feel about that coming in here. Brits view Irish beef in the same way we view polish beef.

Like wise New Zealand lamb, I have to say anytime I've eaten it has been fine, even th'ould hormones of years ago in the beef used to improve the eating quality

Plenty of uk lamb coming here here to be processed when the exchange rate suits.. What nationality is this retailed under rangler.

And I am not convinced that the British consumer would shirk British labelled beef that started its life in the republic. The live trade is to England is a well worn road.
    The 13 million that we paid into the ifa would have been better used to buy 60000 calves and make dog meat of them!
    Rumours here of Larry after buying the Allen family's stake in slaney Icm and linden foods. The monster keeps growing.

Plenty of uk lamb coming here here to be processed when the exchange rate suits.. What nationality is this retailed under rangler.

And I am not convinced that the British consumer would shirk British labelled beef that started its life in the republic. The live trade is to England is a well worn road.
    The 13 million that we paid into the ifa would have been better used to buy 60000 calves and make dog meat of them!
    Rumours here of Larry after buying the Allen family's stake in slaney Icm and linden foods. The monster keeps growing.

More than a rumour
    http://www.farmersjournal.ie/abp-to-acquire-50-stake-in-slaney-meats-and-irish-country-meats-195433/

Department of ag is supposed to supervise labelling, wouldn't like to comment as you know what I think of public service

https://www.fwi.co.uk/business/anger-as-facings-of-british-lamb-plummet-at-tesco.htm

as posted in another post but useful for lads here to see how many British supermarkets only sell British beef and how even the rest are nearly Exclusively British beef. FWI is great mag by the way I get it nearly every week.

• Advertisement

Buy it now and then yes it's a great read. Facing would mean display?

Where did the talks of the British Isles label go or the Islandd of Ireland label. Bord bia is another over fed over fat state quango not fit for purpose.

Yeah facings means offered for sale. That British Isles thing was a none runner; the main reason being its not a legal entity and EU law and to be fair all member states themsleves say meat/food etc must have a county of origin labeling. Anyway IMO the beef price is going down and defintitley not for up. Lads show alot about R price different but price difference for cull cows is mimimal between here and the UK at the moment.

Also lads can tell ye pople eating less beef in the UK. Groeth area for beef will be Halal meat that is a serious groeth area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭davidk1394

A neighbour is selling a bull weanling born in march roughly 280kg average animal. What sort of money would he be worth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

davidk1394 wrote: »
    A neighbour is selling a bull weanling born in march roughly 280kg average animal. What sort of money would he be worth ?

Anywhere between 400 and 1000e depending on breed and quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭limo_100

what breed is he? is he stylish or plain? What age is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭davidk1394

limo_100 wrote: »
    what breed is he? is he stylish or plain? What age is it?

His an AA out of holstein FR cow. 9 months old

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

His an AA out of holstein FR cow. 9 months old

600e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

Quoted 3.85 base for steers. Holding for 3.90... Reckon the when we turn the new year there will be another pull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

locha wrote: »
    Quoted 3.85 base for steers. Holding for 3.90... Reckon the when we turn the new year there will be another pull

Taking 385 in morning
    And 320/310 for R&o cows
    Sick

• Advertisement

epfff wrote: »
    Taking 385 in morning
    And 320/310 for R&o cows
    Sick

Back on last week epfff ?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Will it not tightened in the new year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

i thought that cattle were ment to be scarce this year according to the farmers journal and teagasc advisors that going by the figures and what what was exsported in 14,if numbers are plentilfull now we are in big trouble from january 2017 for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

My uneducated guess is that numbers will tighten up in the first couple of months of the new year. Cattle thrive well this back end and were killed quicker.
    Listened to coveney interview in Nigeria this morning. He's confident on opening China for beef in the first quarter of 2016 and manufacturing beef to the US. If one of them at self came good it might relieve some pressure this time next year. He'll do his best I suppose with an election coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

If you listen to them organization's you will be poor

Cavanjack wrote: »
    My uneducated guess is that numbers will tighten up in the first couple of months of the new year. Cattle thrive well this back end and were killed quicker.
    Listened to coveney interview in Nigeria this morning. He's confident on opening China for beef in the first quarter of 2016 and manufacturing beef to the US. If one of them at self came good it might relieve some pressure this time next year. He'll do his best I suppose with an election coming.

he's going to try another spin of the China and US market record. That record is wore very thin now...
    Would we be lucky enough for him to ffin stay in Nigeria.
    Would Andrew Doyle have enough standing in the party to get the job??

• Advertisement

he's going to try another spin of the China and US market record. That record is wore very thin now...
    Doyle, Wouldn't think so but who knows what goes on behind closed doors.
    As for Nigeria I wouldn't have thought theyd want too much of our 'premium grass fed beef'. Milk powder mission I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Good loser

Coveney is as good as you'll get. You're too ambitious Wfm.

Imo the future is not looking at all good.

Good loser wrote: »
    Coveney is as good as you'll get. You're too ambitious Wfm.

Imo the future is not looking at all good.

Lads have short memories. Not even 5 years ago yet.

http://www.independent.ie/business/farming/factories-row-back-on-low-steer-offers-as-farmers-refuse-less-than-330ckg-26665254.html

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97946964

Post in that thread by Dawgone cattlle he sold. Price in France higher for finished cattle. Look what he sold his calves for! People paying to much here for young cattle.

barnaman wrote: »

2.80 in 09. .... There was good money made finishing cattle in 10 and 11. To be honest barns in my system it's actually easier to get a turn in a poor beef price bad market... Can be very easy to buy value at times.
    And a poor price doesn't mean less production, as we will witness now in the dairying industry, perversely poor price tends to drive production as producers try even harder to survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

When ABP take over Slaney we might as well give them the cattle for free!

2.80 in 09. .... There was good money made finishing cattle in 10 and 11. To be honest barns in my system it's actually easier to get a turn in a poor beef price bad market... Can be very easy to buy value at times.
    And a poor price doesn't mean less production, as we will witness now in the dairying industry, perversely poor price tends to drive production as producers try even harder to survive.

I was making more money in 10 and 11 when was getting 3.20 a kg and buying continental stores back in at 1.80 kg [dates and prices are approx off top of me head]

kk.man wrote: »
    When ABP take over Slaney we might as well give them the cattle for free!

Can't understand how this can be allowed to happen when they will control over 50% of the market. Anyone know the laws on this and can the competition authority stop it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Weanling/store prices are mad. l have been putting off buying. Will lads be just as cracked next spring?

Was not farming in 10 or 11 father was but now getting to enjoy the slog. But saw figures back then and agree with ye on finishing side. I am in suckler to finish and store to finish so seeing both sides. Stores here in particular weanlings/light stores crazy prices unless very efficient high numbers finishing system. Sucklers are in certain respects a disaster as so much hassle to keep cows; not just expense but the sheer looking after of them. The diary lads will take alot of that trade if he crosses a Hereford or AA on his heifers/spare cows he can breed AAX or HEX cattle that will attract the premium under the AA and HE schemes. Cattle should kill out as Rs, market no longer wants big carcasses so fact not put on much weght as cointental not matter.

My predictions for 2016 are we will sooner rather than later hit a base of €3.50 to €3.70. Weanling price for 2016 will take a fair drop too.

Now hopefully like all predictions that is wrong and we are well back over €4

Muckit wrote: »
    Weanling/store prices are mad. l have been putting off buying. Will lads be just as cracked next spring?

The minute some fellas see grass irrespective of the finished price they do go cracked.

kk.man wrote: »
    The minute some fellas see grass irrespective of the finished price they do go cracked.

Was look at mart online in kilmallock at tea time this morning for a few minutes ... Holy Jesus 'twas bad. Big over 30 month friesian bullock 775 kg 1130... He was fuppin worth that last may!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Was look at mart online in kilmallock at tea time this morning for a few minutes ... Holy Jesus 'twas bad. Big over 30 month friesian bullock 775 kg 1130... He was fuppin worth that last may!

Local small plant paying 3.80 flat a few weeks ago for over age over weight non Qa bullocks a few weeks ago - What would he have made there 15-1600??

As an aside - there under 30 mth comrades getting same feeding graded a lot more P's !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 juniorfarmer

killed a freisian last week cause he broke his tail on the slats, and was at risk to a spinal injury cause the blood would not stop dripping. got 3.72 a kilo for him as he graded o= and the base was 3.90. that freisian in killmallock will prob kill 395 kilos dead and if he grades the same way my fella does.... well the fella that bought him will be smiling.... however u'd wonder what was the fella thinking, selling him?

You wouldn't buy him for that money last may! If he's over age and over weight now the factories will have a field day with the likes of that Fr. Agree smaller plants give a much better price for outside the spec cattle and that still make money! So the big guns must make a fortune on these cattle.

I suppose one must pay for the upkeep of the ranches, private jet, helicopter, sports horses etc

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement