Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Anyone kill over 24 month bulls recently? Price per kilo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

barnaman wrote: »

Can't get u24 in
    Got u16 today anything over 400kgs not on grid

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Stock bull price

Thanks lads tried ringing usual agent no answer. Been bloody awful getting cattle in. 2 bulls to go should gone before now both just over 24 months. Reckong would be stock but afraid how low that will be. Yeah going to get a weight penalty as over 400k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Epfff is that over 24 can't be got in or under 24. Have a young stock bull will be 24 months on the the 23rd of this month, he had a dodgey front leg .how much can I expect for him he'll be close to an E grade,

Thanks lads tried ringing usual agent no answer. Been bloody awful getting cattle in. 2 bulls to go should gone before now both just over 24 months. Reckong would be stock but afraid how low that will be. Yeah going to get a weight penalty as over 400k

Was talking to a man that got quote for bulls over 420 kg was being cut 40 cent. Unreal

I can believe it going to be all change next year they really want handy sized cattle. Between cull cows and these 2 bulls my humour is not improving!

Well clough what's your opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    Well clough what's your opinion?

All they want is HEx and AAx cattle grass fed and they'll soon be looking at testing the water with the 24mt notion for steers and no more than 350kg dw. And the reason they will is because they can.

• Advertisement

Epfff is that over 24 can't be got in or under 24. Have a young stock bull will be 24 months on the the 23rd of this month, he had a dodgey front leg .how much can I expect for him he'll be close to an E grade,

Under 24

If he is near e grade ge will have to have a lot of feeding to get a cover on him
    Had au+2- today can't figure as I thought they all same in fat (3-) u16 wasn't pretty and claimed to have done me a favour not to have cut more

You have changed your tune.I don't really know.I think stock will have to dry up from .
    what I hear factories can't get the beef sold?
    I really hope they rise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

are things really that bad at the moment? if they are it is hard to see a rise comming, i thought at this beef foroum last year they couldnt cut for over weights, but as usual when there are problems starting to arise there is not a word to be heard from coveny,we only seem to hear him when has an announcement about a new market,i didnt hear him giving his opinion about abp buying half of slaney but when ryanair tryed to buy aer lingus the competition authority intervened and reviewed the details at pity they wouldnt keep a closer look at our side of things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

As far as i know the biggest problem with larry buying slaney is if the allens rendering plant is included as well that will leave only 2 independent rendering plants with abp having complete control

Factory AIBP has no interest in 24 month bulls was told to try the mart. Was an absolute no; no try again after Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

The whole beef thing is a complete game in my opinion.as someone who looks in from the outside abp have the whole thing sowed up.and with the ifa in turmoil Larry will try anything he can now.3 movements is the next thing he will try.has he brought that in in the UK recently

• Advertisement

boggerman1 wrote: »
    The whole beef thing is a complete game in my opinion.as someone who looks in from the outside abp have the whole thing sowed up.and with the ifa in turmoil Larry will try anything he can now.3 movements is the next thing he will try.has he brought that in in the UK recently

I can understand it though limited market for this type of beef; big animals. Not wanted in UK where most goes and UK is more and more wanted 0 movement cattle as it happens. Spoke to a few people today who long time at the game and 2016 is looking bleak.

Factory AIBP has no interest in 24 month bulls was told to try the mart. Was an absolute no; no try again after Christmas!
    Add your reply here.
    Over 24 or under 24

both factory wanted to know were bulls under 16 months. Mine are 24 months as it happens. Got a good contact to enquire for me and its no dice only want young bulls if over 16 months off to the mart and hope an exporter or butcher has interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I got caught with bulls last year but over 2 years of age you will only get stock bull price .I got mine in before they hit 24 months there is a wholesale buthchers in ennis kills them worth a shout if in that neck of the woods .I would think kepak might also have an outlet otherwise ashborne meats

Well folks.any updates.or what's the feeling .there must be alot of shed cattle ready

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭grange mac

This is getting serious now. Last summer word was big fall off in qty of cattle for winter & prices would rise. Look at where we are now, the deafening silence from that minister is a disgrace. To me its clear he is looking at elections and not farmers.
    The way factories can control weekly kill surely smells of cattle dung & yet nobody now can take them on. I am going to have to seriously look at farming if I get another roasting this year.
    At 3.90 it just ain't worth finishing cattle as far as I'm concerned.

grange mac wrote: »
    This is getting serious now. Last summer word was big fall off in qty of cattle for winter & prices would rise. Look at where we are now, the deafening silence from that minister is a disgrace. To me its clear he is looking at elections and not farmers.
    The way factories can control weekly kill surely smells of cattle dung & yet nobody now can take them on. I am going to have to seriously look at farming if I get another roasting this year.
    At 3.90 it just ain't worth finishing cattle as far as I'm concerned.

It's not worth finishing them with the price they were bought at. I sold 540kg cattle at approx 1350 in July. How they will leave much to the next man is a mystery. Would only get 1150 now. So that would be where next man's profit is gone.

It's not worth finishing them with the price they were bought at. I sold 540kg cattle at approx 1350 in July. How they will leave much to the next man is a mystery. Would only get 1150 now. So that would be where next man's profit is gone.
    Goodman clough.I am glad you took my advice in July.talking out of both sides of your mouth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Forum is meeting this week I think, there isn't much optimism out there, can't see Coveney magicking any markets out of the hat either.
    can see a lot of bobby calves in Ireland this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

a year to keep numbers to a minimum and maximise time in armchair with bfp.

lads wll do the exact opposite though and get roasted!!!

Muckit wrote: »
    a year to keep numbers to a minimum and maximise time in armchair with bfp.

lads wll do the exact opposite though and get roasted!!!

ABP are trying to destroy farmers in England.
    They're importing Irish and polish beef
    They've introduced the grid,,
    also weight limits and residencies,
    and charging up £1 for clipping lambs :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

2016/17 in beef will be like 2015 with milk. But it might calm prices at the bottom end ie calves/weanlings.

rangler1 wrote: »
    ABP are trying to destroy farmers in England.
    They're importing Irish and polish beef
    They've introduced the grid,,
    also weight limits and residencies,
    and charging up £1 for clipping lambs :eek:

Never mind England.they are doing it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

3.85 kepak

Goodman clough.I am glad you took my advice in July.talking out of both sides of your mouth?

How's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

Base price wrote: »
    Delivered some to the factory for a friend during the week. They had a bit of cover on them. €1 per kg deadweight so 240kgs = €240 etc

I got e451 for my old fr coween .. P+ 3+ but 220 c per kilo x 205 kg DW - roscrea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭locha

3.90 for a load this week. Same for a load last week. Under Age Steers. Quoted 3.85 for overage under 36 mts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Has the €3 bonus that factories were paying on 30-36 month cattle finished?

Any one hear anything about cow beef.ii heard that it has got stronger

Any one hear anything about cow beef.ii heard that it has got stronger

Not happening here in West
    Needs to settle soon
    Big problem here is getting cattle in

Stuck in 2 cattle not fit, 26/27 month, killed out as O 23c/kilo penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Brought 12 FR (HO) ex dairy for a friend - €2.80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Cow P+3+ €3.15.

Cow P+3+ €3.15.

I heard 3.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

I heard 3.2

Phuck it anyway. Only kill about a half dozen a year and just rang up agent and told him take her away. 10 year old hol after 8 calves. I suppose she didn't owe me much.

killed a young stock bull that went wrong today. 2 months feeding after being taken away from cows. would be 2 years old on wednesday. got 3.70 graded u+2= 451kgs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

See the end is finally nigh for heavy cattle.
    The one thing that I cannot figure out is the Beef Data and Genomics scheme. To me it seems like a contradiction, on one hand paying farmers to produce quality continental cattle and on the other factories penalising them for same.
    Are we just playing into Larry & factories hands again or are my views jaundiced :rolleyes:
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/factories-treatment-of-heavy-cattle-to-change-later-this-month/

Base price wrote: »
    See the end is finally nigh for heavy cattle.
    The one thing that I cannot figure out is the Beef Data and Genomics scheme. To me it seems like a contradiction, on one hand paying farmers to produce quality continental cattle and on the other factories penalising them for same.
    Are we just playing into Larry & factories hands again or are my views jaundiced :rolleyes:
    http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/factories-treatment-of-heavy-cattle-to-change-later-this-month/
    You are dead right. Sure even the grid doesn't make sense. Why Pay top money for a u grade animal that won't have the correct fat cover unless it is a big weight (in the case of bullocks anyway). Then penalise an o grade black or white head animal that's the "in-spec" weight of <380kg.
    If that's the animal they want the top place on the grid should be for o-r grade animal under 380kg. Farmers should be rewarded for producing to spec, not rewarded in one way and penalised in another.

Do these car case weight restrictions cover steers and heifers as well as Bulls ? What about cull cows?

Do these car case weight restrictions cover steers and heifers as well as Bulls ? What about cull cows?

Yeah cover Bulls, steers and heifers but would be rare for heifers to be killed over 400kg dw anyway. Don't think it matters with cows as the majority go into the mincer anyway (open to correction).

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »
    You are dead right. Sure even the grid doesn't make sense. Why Pay top money for a u grade animal that won't have the correct fat cover unless it is a big weight (in the case of bullocks anyway). Then penalise an o grade black or white head animal that's the "in-spec" weight of <380kg.
    If that's the animal they want the top place on the grid should be for o-r grade animal under 380kg. Farmers should be rewarded for producing to spec, not rewarded in one way and penalised in another.

From what I hear you will be rewarded after Christmas for under 380, your reward will be that you won't be cut 30-40c/kg'
    For overfat/overweight lambs we're cut 25c/kg and give free meat as well in the case of overweight.............you won't be long learning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Cormac Healy is shark.. He knows there's extra numbers coming on stream from next fall and when a shark gets a whiff of blood.......

It will all depend on the weekly kill as to to when they will really implement this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

P €3
    Os €3.10
    Rs €3.40
    Cow prices

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I got €3.90 base from kepak for underage steer on Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

restive wrote: »
    I got €3.90 base from kepak for underage steer on Christmas Eve.

What carcass weights they paying up to??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement