Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

beef price tracker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

simx wrote: »
    P €3
    Os €3.10
    Rs €3.40
    Cow prices

Is there not more than that to be got for p and os

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Robson99 wrote: »
    What carcass weights they paying up to??

Killed a load a few weeks ago and two of them were 480kg dw. Wasn't docked anything on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

What carcass weights they paying up to??

Mine killed out 385kg. Do not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Killed a load a few weeks ago and two of them were 480kg dw. Wasn't docked anything on them.

Where was that???

Where was that???

Clonee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Cassidy2 wrote: »
    Is there not more than that to be got for p and os

Rang a few places €3 flat for them was all, 2.80 and 2.90 in one place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Any idea what R cowss are at the moment?

Better off in the ring than take them prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭epfff

Kovu wrote: »
    Any idea what R cowss are at the moment?

Got quoted 330
    Their is 340 to be got but lots of cows out their

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

epfff wrote: »
    Got quoted 330
    Their is 340 to be got but lots of cows out their

Thanks for that, have one guy quoted 3.50 to me but never used him before as an agent. Have a bit of time to play around with at least, only have them on a ration to maintain their weight since start of Dec when the arse fell out of the cow trade.

• Advertisement

Notice cattle that have been killed this back end have killed out very fat compared to other years.
    Nothing killed under a fat score of 3+ with the majority 4 to 4+. A few Angus heifers went to 5's.
    Don't know if it was that cattle thrive was excellent from September on and they fleshed up quicker or that we wernt keeping a close enough eye on them. Is it madness feeding to this level of fat score or would a 3- do?
    Is there a sweet spot?

Notice cattle that have been killed this back end have killed out very fat compared to other years.
    Nothing killed under a fat score of 3+ with the majority 4 to 4+. A few Angus heifers went to 5's.
    Don't know if it was that cattle thrive was excellent from September on and they fleshed up quicker or that we wernt keeping a close enough eye on them. Is it madness feeding to this level of fat score or would a 3- do?
    Is there a sweet spot?

There is alot of men holding cattle because they will lose a fortune if they killed them.fat class will be a problem there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Is there a sweet spot?

3+ 4= is the sweet spot for plainish cattle to ensure you maximise conformation grade. Good continental cattle are as well gone at 3=. Particularly going forward if this weight limit craic takes hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Willfarman wrote: »
    3+ 4= is the sweet spot for plainish cattle to ensure you maximise conformation grade. Good continental cattle are as well gone at 3=. Particularly going forward if this weight limit craic takes hold.

Is there anyone here that can tell the difference by eye between 3+ and 4- or 4=?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is there anyone here that can tell the difference by eye between 3+ and 4- or 4=?
    Hard enough to judge the fat score when you are not at it every day. I used to judge by the fat around the tail head but someone on here had a good post a while back . It went along the lines of judging different types of cattle differently. Can't remember who it was.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Willfarman wrote: »

Mostly u grade heifers killed here. Always try and feed them into 4- or 4= if possible. But would agree weight limits would be a factor in us killing them at 3=

Anyone got price for bulls under 24 months.can 4 euro be got for r u grade under 420kg

Anyone got price for bulls under 24 months.can 4 euro be got for r u grade under 420kg

390 u
    380 r is all I can get to 400

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭moll3

what are heifer's being quoted at the moment down south

• Advertisement

390 u

Same as that but up to 430 kg

390 u

Same as that.but up to 430kg
    It's some disaster

moll3 wrote: »
    what are heifer's being quoted at the moment down south

€4.05 up this country anyway

Same as that.but up to 430kg
    It's some disaster

I see no big change for while

I see no big change for while

Where have all the bulls come from.wait till the glut of freisan bulls come on stream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nettleman

what age is a young bull? Is it under 24 mths or what? anybody getting quotes on YB's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

Nettleman wrote: »
    what age is a young bull? Is it under 24 mths or what? anybody getting quotes on YB's

A young bull is under 16 months, they normally get the best prices. 16 to 24 month Bulls will be a lesser price. Older than that you're into stock bull prices i think.

Any prices for u grade cows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Have you a few bays full of them simx or were they too dear a few mts back?

335 for rs yesterday
    Didn't go any further up the grid so can't help any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

335 for rs yesterday

Is there much chance of cow prices improving a bit by the end of this month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭kk.man

Would the IFA stop sending text of the same cattle price for the last few weeks. It would be better off they did something about the prices!

tanko wrote: »

I thought they would but not as confident now
    Mine were still outside so I wouldn't have won without big increase which I don't think we will see for 2 yrs plus

I got quoted 3.85 base from Liffey meats Ballinasloe for bullocks. Does anyone know what Kepak are quoting.

restive wrote: »
    I got quoted 3.85 base from Liffey meats Ballinasloe for bullocks. Does anyone know what Kepak are quoting.

Slaney quoting 3.90 this week, I know that's not what you asked just saying what's to be got

By talking to agents not looking good for a rise

335 for rs yesterday

Got 3.40 for rs last week had 2 us in it didn't think I'd have them tbh got 3.50 for them, hard to bargain when they're hangng

Slaney quoting 3.90 this week, I know that's not what you asked just saying what's to be got

Are factory's cutting for overage bullocks.

Not Slaney anyway

3.90 in clonee

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Was told at weekend €3.85 for bullocks in Kepak.

Could prices get worse?

Usually 5 cent better than liffey quotes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭primary 2

what do ye lads think the base price for steers will be the end of january? all i know it is handy enough to get cattle in down here compared to before christmas and for steers age dosent seem to be a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Could prices get worse?

U grade steers only went above €3.50/Kg in early 2008. Beef isn't immune to commodity price volatility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Finding it difficult get cattle in myself could see €3.80 by end of month. And looking ahead only see it dropping big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

A young bull is under 16 months, they normally get the best prices. 16 to 24 month Bulls will be a lesser price. Older than that you're into stock bull prices i think.

what finishing weight should one be aiming for for 16 mths Bulls

primary 2 wrote: »
    what do ye lads think the base price for steers will be the end of january? all i know it is handy enough to get cattle in down here compared to before christmas and for steers age dosent seem to be a problem

I think prices seem to be strengthening a bit. 4.05 easily got for heifers now, not so much before Christmas.

saranac1 wrote: »

400kg seems to be the magic number for continentals. For fresians under 16 months 270kg I think.
    Never fed either to kill under 16 months here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

saranac1 wrote: »
    400kg seems to be the magic number for continentals. For fresians under 16 months 270kg I think.
    Never fed either to kill under 16 months here.

For Friesians under 16 months 260 is average however there is a lad in Limerick that is up on 290kgs. Good quality JEX's can be up on 250kgs with a good fat score and are sought after in May/June.

Continentals depending on quality and time of year for spring born 365 is a good average selling in may/june. For autumn born with a full season at grass in the right system 380+ is a good average.

Slava Ukrainii

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement